|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the play what does Mrs. Webb do when she first comes out of her house?
2. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
3. What does Dr. Gibbs tell his wife he will not do while they chat in the yard together?
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs serve for breakfast on the first morning of the second act?
5. Where is George running to when we first see him in the second act?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
2. What does a university professor tell the audience about?
3. What question does Emily ask her mother as they tend to the beans together?
4. Why does George run out of the church just before his wedding is to start?
5. What does George tell his mother he is most afraid of just before he marries Emily?
6. What is the first actual character that the stage manager plays?
7. What did the stage manager call Act 2?
8. Why does George choose to not go to college?
9. Where has Dr. Gibbs been when he first appears on stage?
10. Where does Mr. Webb say the people in his town get the most pleasure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Emily learn about herself from her confrontations with George and how do these interaction cause her to change?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this play that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)