|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs heading at the beginning of the third scene?
2. What is Joe's occupation?
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
4. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
5. What time of day does this play begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does George take Emily on their first date?
2. What does the stage manager want to put in the time capsule for the town?
3. What is George's opinion of women?
4. Why does Emily beg her father to let her stay home on the day of her wedding?
5. How did Stan Stimson die?
6. What frustrates Emily about her parents when she returns to her life?
7. What does the stage manager say the third and final act will focus on?
8. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees Simon Stimson on his way home from work?
9. What is the first actual character that the stage manager plays?
10. How do Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb know each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this play? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the play?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)