|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George want to be when he grows up?
2. Where are Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs heading at the beginning of the third scene?
3. What does the stage manager make special mention of just before he begins a narrative of the town?
4. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
5. What does Mr. Gibbs tease his wife about when he first appears on stage in the second act?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Soames feel about weddings?
2. Where does George take Emily on their first date?
3. Why does Dr. Gibbs give George a handkerchief after reprimanding him for not doing his chores?
4. What does Dr. Gibbs say about locking the door to his house?
5. Where does Mrs. Gibbs die, and what is she doing there?
6. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
7. Why does George choose to not go to college?
8. How do Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb know each other?
9. Where does Mr. Webb say the people in his town get the most pleasure?
10. What marriage advice does Mr. Webb give George on the morning of his wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and identify their main motivation in the play and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
What does Emily learn about herself from her confrontations with George and how do these interaction cause her to change?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)