|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stage manager say we do not know about ancient Rome and Greece?
2. What does Emily ask Mrs. Webb when she sees her mother after talking with Mr. Webb?
3. Which of these does the stage manager NOT mention as having happened in the space between acts?
4. What does Mr. Webb talk to George about when Mrs. Webb runs out of her kitchen?
5. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George choose to not go to college?
2. What does Mrs. Webb tell Mrs. Gibbs to do when she hears of Mrs. Gibbs's $350?
3. What does George do when he visits Emily's grave?
4. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees Simon Stimson on his way home from work?
5. Where does Mrs. Gibbs die, and what is she doing there?
6. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
7. What does Mrs. Gibbs warn Emily not to do in the third act?
8. How did Emily's brother die?
9. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
10. What does the stage manager ask Emily and George to do before they show their wedding day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
How do Dr. Gibbs and Mr. Webb change through the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)