|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Emily as she is doing her homework during the second scene?
2. At the beginning of the play, what does Dr. Gibbs say he has been up all night doing?
3. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
4. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
5. What does Emily say is keeping her from sleeping when her father comes home from work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Gibbs come across $350?
2. What does Mrs. Webb tell Mrs. Gibbs to do when she hears of Mrs. Gibbs's $350?
3. What is Mrs. Webb getting ready for at the beginning of Act 2?
4. What does the stage manager say we do not know much about from ancient civilizations?
5. What does Mrs. Gibbs warn Emily not to do in the third act?
6. What does the stage manager do at the beginning of Act 2?
7. What does the stage manager invite the audience members to do when the first act comes to a close?
8. What does George do when he visits Emily's grave?
9. Who does the stage manager say has appreciated life while actually being alive?
10. What is Mrs. Soames famous for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Laughter and happiness is a common theme found in this play. Where does this come into play, and how does it affect the characters involved in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different phases of the relationship between Emily and George and how the relationship affects the course of the plot for the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)