|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stage manager make special mention of just before he begins a narrative of the town?
2. Why does Mrs. Webb panic when she sees George?
3. Who is the first character to speak in the second act?
4. What does Mrs. Webb chide Emily for when she first appears on stage?
5. What does George plan to do when he leaves his mother's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Emily and George able to purchase their farm?
2. What is Mrs. Webb getting ready for at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does the stage manager say we do not know much about from ancient civilizations?
4. What is the first actual character that the stage manager plays?
5. What does the stage manager ask Emily and George to do before they show their wedding day?
6. What does the stage manager invite the audience members to do when the first act comes to a close?
7. What is Mrs. Gibbs main complaint about her son at the beginning of the play?
8. How do Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb know each other?
9. How did Stan Stimson die?
10. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this play that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Thornton Wilder have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
What does Emily learn about herself from her confrontations with George and how do these interaction cause her to change?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)