|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stage manager call the second act?
2. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees his daughter Emily on stage in the second scene?
3. Who gives the introduction to the play?
4. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
5. Why is Mrs. Gibbs so worried about her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stage manager ask Emily and George to do before they show their wedding day?
2. What does Mrs. Webb say is cruel about weddings?
3. What does George do when he visits Emily's grave?
4. How were Emily and George able to purchase their farm?
5. What is the first actual character that the stage manager plays?
6. Why does Dr. Gibbs give George a handkerchief after reprimanding him for not doing his chores?
7. What does the stage manager invite the audience members to do when the first act comes to a close?
8. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees Simon Stimson on his way home from work?
9. What does Mrs. Gibbs make George for breakfast on the morning of his wedding day?
10. What is George's opinion of women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Emily learn about herself from her confrontations with George and how do these interaction cause her to change?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)