|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
2. What does Mrs. Gibbs ask her husband to talk to George about at the beginning of the play?
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs worry will happen to George?
4. What does Emily do when she sees her father on stage in the second scene?
5. What does Mr. Webb say of the people of the town that could be considered an insult?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stage manager say the third and final act will focus on?
2. What is Mrs. Soames famous for?
3. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
4. How does Mrs. Gibbs come across $350?
5. What do Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs talk about as they walk home together in the third scene?
6. What frustrates Emily about her parents when she returns to her life?
7. What title did the stage manager give Act 1?
8. How does the stage manager describe weddings in Grover's Corner?
9. What does a university professor tell the audience about?
10. Why does Mrs. Webb not allow George to see Emily on the morning of their wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Emily learn about herself from her confrontations with George and how do these interaction cause her to change?
Essay Topic 2
Simon Stimson's foolhardy and selfish nature wreaks havoc throughout the entire play. What are some examples of this foolish behavior, and how did these actions affect the characters around him? Was the playwright sending a message through Simon's behavior?
Essay Topic 3
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Thornton Wilder have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)