|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Webb do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
2. Where were Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs before the third scene?
3. What is happening to George to prevent him from playing baseball?
4. At the beginning of the play, what does Dr. Gibbs say he has been up all night doing?
5. What personal detail about Simon Stimson do we learn from the stage manager?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Mr. Webb say the people in his town get the most pleasure?
2. What does Rebecca tell George her friend received in the mail?
3. What does Emily demand of George just before they are married?
4. What did the stage manager call Act 2?
5. Where has Dr. Gibbs been when he first appears on stage?
6. Why does George run out of the church just before his wedding is to start?
7. Where were Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb before the third scene began?
8. What does Mrs. Gibbs make George for breakfast on the morning of his wedding day?
9. What does Mrs. Webb tell Mrs. Gibbs to do when she hears of Mrs. Gibbs's $350?
10. What does Mr. Web tell the audience about the town in this play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Dr. Gibbs and Mr. Webb change through the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this play?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)