|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Gibbs say is something only done in big cities?
2. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
3. What does Mr. Webb say of the people of the town that could be considered an insult?
4. What does Emily assure her father she does not have on her mind before he goes to bed?
5. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emily beg her father to let her stay home on the day of her wedding?
2. Where does Mr. Webb say the people in his town get the most pleasure?
3. What is Mrs. Gibbs main complaint about her son at the beginning of the play?
4. What does the stage manager say we do not know much about from ancient civilizations?
5. What does Mrs. Gibbs warn Emily not to do in the third act?
6. How did Stan Stimson die?
7. What is Mrs. Soames famous for?
8. What did the stage manager call Act 2?
9. What does a university professor tell the audience about?
10. What does Rebecca tell George her friend received in the mail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs are very similar in nature although very different in many other areas. What are some of these intrinsic differences and similarities, and what message(s) was Wilder was trying to send with these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Laughter and happiness is a common theme found in this play. Where does this come into play, and how does it affect the characters involved in these scenes?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)