|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Gibbs serve for breakfast on the first morning of the second act?
2. Who asks questions of Mr. Webb when he has finished his introduction of the town?
3. Where is Joe killed?
4. What personal detail about Simon Stimson do we learn from the stage manager?
5. What does George plan to do when he leaves his mother's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Gibbs warn Emily not to do in the third act?
2. How did Emily's brother die?
3. Where were Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb before the third scene began?
4. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
5. What is George's greatest talent?
6. What frustrates Emily about her parents when she returns to her life?
7. What does the stage manager do at the beginning of Act 2?
8. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees Simon Stimson on his way home from work?
9. What does Emily tell her father is keeping her awake late at night?
10. What does a university professor tell the audience about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this play? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
George endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Simon Stimson was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Simon had not been in the play at all?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)