|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the stage manager introduce at the beginning of the second scene of the play?
2. Who is the first character to speak in the second act?
3. Where does Mrs. Gibbs die?
4. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
5. What does the stage manager say we do not know about ancient Rome and Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stage manager ask Emily and George to do before they show their wedding day?
2. What does Emily tell her father is keeping her awake late at night?
3. Who is the first character to speak in this play?
4. What does a university professor tell the audience about?
5. What is Mrs. Gibbs main complaint about her son at the beginning of the play?
6. What is the first actual character that the stage manager plays?
7. Where has Dr. Gibbs been when he first appears on stage?
8. How did Stan Stimson die?
9. Where were Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb before the third scene began?
10. What does Mrs. Gibbs want to do with her newly found $350?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different phases of the relationship between Emily and George and how the relationship affects the course of the plot for the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
George endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Simon Stimson was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Simon had not been in the play at all?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)