|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Gibbs say they must do to help Simon Stimson?
2. What personal detail about Simon Stimson do we learn from the stage manager?
3. What is the town having a discussion about after Emily and her mother stop talking?
4. What time of day does this play begin?
5. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stage manager say that this wedding of George and Emily is a witness of?
2. Why does George choose to not go to college?
3. How do Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb know each other?
4. Why does Mrs. Webb not allow George to see Emily on the morning of their wedding?
5. Who does the stage manager say has appreciated life while actually being alive?
6. What lie does George tell Mr. Morgan when he asks why Emily is crying?
7. How did Stan Stimson die?
8. What does George do when he visits Emily's grave?
9. What did the stage manager call Act 2?
10. Where were Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb before the third scene began?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs are very similar in nature although very different in many other areas. What are some of these intrinsic differences and similarities, and what message(s) was Wilder was trying to send with these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different phases of the relationship between Emily and George and how the relationship affects the course of the plot for the other characters around them.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)