|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emily doing when she asks her mother her very important question?
2. What does Mr. Webb say of the people of the town that could be considered an insult?
3. What does the stage manager call the second act?
4. What does Dr. Gibbs give George when he has finished talking to him after school?
5. What interrupts Emily as she is doing her homework during the second scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the stage manager call Act 2?
2. What day in her life does Emily decide to go back to?
3. Where were Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb before the third scene began?
4. Why does Mrs. Webb not allow George to see Emily on the morning of their wedding?
5. What is George's opinion of women?
6. Who is with George when he first appears on stage?
7. What does Mrs. Gibbs warn Emily not to do in the third act?
8. What lie does George tell Mr. Morgan when he asks why Emily is crying?
9. What question does Emily ask her mother as they tend to the beans together?
10. What do Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs talk about as they walk home together in the third scene?
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs are very similar in nature although very different in many other areas. What are some of these intrinsic differences and similarities, and what message(s) was Wilder was trying to send with these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)