|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Gibb rebuke Mrs. Gibbs for when she returns at the beginning of the third scene?
2. At the beginning of the play, what does Dr. Gibbs say he has been up all night doing?
3. What does Mrs. Webb do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
4. What does Mr. Webb say a groom should never do?
5. Which of these does the stage manager NOT mention as having happened in the space between acts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs talk about as they walk home together in the third scene?
2. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
3. How do Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb know each other?
4. What does the man talking about stars say at the end of the play?
5. Where does George go the minute he wakes up in Act 2?
6. Who is with George when he first appears on stage?
7. Where does Mrs. Gibbs die, and what is she doing there?
8. What does the stage manager say we do not know much about from ancient civilizations?
9. What do the people sitting in the chairs represent in the third act?
10. Why does George choose to not go to college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and identify their main motivation in the play and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What does Emily learn about herself from her confrontations with George and how do these interaction cause her to change?
Essay Topic 3
Simon Stimson was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Simon had not been in the play at all?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)