|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stage manager say was wasted in Joe's death?
2. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees his daughter Emily on stage in the second scene?
3. Who is the first character to speak in the second act?
4. How much time passed between the first act and the second act?
5. Where was Emily just before she came on stage in the second scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George's opinion of women?
2. How does the stage manager describe weddings in Grover's Corner?
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs make George for breakfast on the morning of his wedding day?
4. Why does Mrs. Webb not allow George to see Emily on the morning of their wedding?
5. What does Dr. Gibbs say about locking the door to his house?
6. What do the people sitting in the chairs represent in the third act?
7. What marriage advice does Mr. Webb give George on the morning of his wedding?
8. What does George do when he visits Emily's grave?
9. Who is the first character to speak in this play?
10. What does the stage manager want to put in the time capsule for the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Thornton Wilder have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and identify their main motivation in the play and how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)