Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb do for the person he sees on his way home from work on the first day of the play?
2. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
3. How many other people are talking to Howie at the beginning of the second act?
4. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
5. Who asks questions of Mr. Webb when he has finished his introduction of the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
2. What question does Emily ask her mother as they tend to the beans together?
3. What does Emily tell her father is keeping her awake late at night?
4. What does the stage manager want to put in the time capsule for the town?
5. How does Mrs. Soames feel about weddings?
6. Where does George go the minute he wakes up in Act 2?
7. What do Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs talk about as they walk home together in the third scene?
8. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
9. How did Stan Stimson die?
10. What does George do when he visits Emily's grave?
Essay Topic 1
Simon Stimson was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Simon had not been in the play at all?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
How do Dr. Gibbs and Mr. Webb change through the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)