|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily assure her father she does not have on her mind before he goes to bed?
2. What does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
3. What is happening to George to prevent him from playing baseball?
4. Which state is this play set in?
5. Where does Mrs. Webb run when George comes to her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stage manager say that this wedding of George and Emily is a witness of?
2. What does the stage manager want to put in the time capsule for the town?
3. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs make George for breakfast on the morning of his wedding day?
5. Where has Dr. Gibbs been when he first appears on stage?
6. What is Mrs. Webb getting ready for at the beginning of Act 2?
7. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
8. What does the stage manager invite the audience members to do when the first act comes to a close?
9. What does Mrs. Webb say is cruel about weddings?
10. What is Mrs. Gibbs main complaint about her son at the beginning of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this play that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Simon Stimson was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Simon had not been in the play at all?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different phases of the relationship between Emily and George and how the relationship affects the course of the plot for the other characters around them.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)