Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb do for the person he sees on his way home from work on the first day of the play?
2. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
3. How many other people are talking to Howie at the beginning of the second act?
4. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
5. Who asks questions of Mr. Webb when he has finished his introduction of the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
2. What question does Emily ask her mother as they tend to the beans together?
3. What does Emily tell her father is keeping her awake late at night?
4. What does the stage manager want to put in the time capsule for the town?
5. How does Mrs. Soames feel about weddings?
6. Where does George go the minute he wakes up in Act 2?
7. What do Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs talk about as they walk home together in the third scene?
8. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
9. How did Stan Stimson die?
10. What does George do when he visits Emily's grave?
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Laughter and happiness is a common theme found in this play. Where does this come into play, and how does it affect the characters involved in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Simon Stimson's foolhardy and selfish nature wreaks havoc throughout the entire play. What are some examples of this foolish behavior, and how did these actions affect the characters around him? Was the playwright sending a message through Simon's behavior?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)