|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Gibbs ask her husband to talk to George about at the beginning of the play?
2. Why does Mrs. Webb panic when she sees George?
3. What does Mr. Webb talk to George about when Mrs. Webb runs out of her kitchen?
4. Who talks with George after his parents go to bed?
5. Who is the first character to speak in the second act?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Gibbs make George for breakfast on the morning of his wedding day?
2. What question does Emily ask her mother as they tend to the beans together?
3. What does Emily demand of George just before they are married?
4. How does Mrs. Soames feel about weddings?
5. What does Mrs. Gibbs warn Emily not to do in the third act?
6. Why does Mrs. Webb not allow George to see Emily on the morning of their wedding?
7. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
8. How does the stage manager describe weddings in Grover's Corner?
9. What does the stage manager ask Emily and George to do before they show their wedding day?
10. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this play that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Simon Stimson's foolhardy and selfish nature wreaks havoc throughout the entire play. What are some examples of this foolish behavior, and how did these actions affect the characters around him? Was the playwright sending a message through Simon's behavior?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)