|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Howie Newsome's occupation?
2. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs serve for breakfast on the first morning of the second act?
4. Where was Emily just before she came on stage in the second scene?
5. What is a special talent that George has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stage manager ask Emily and George to do before they show their wedding day?
2. What does Mrs. Webb tell Mrs. Gibbs to do when she hears of Mrs. Gibbs's $350?
3. How does the stage manager describe weddings in Grover's Corner?
4. Where does Mr. Webb say the people in his town get the most pleasure?
5. How did Stan Stimson die?
6. Who is the first character to speak in this play?
7. What does the stage manager say that this wedding of George and Emily is a witness of?
8. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
9. What is Mrs. Gibbs main complaint about her son at the beginning of the play?
10. Why does George choose to not go to college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and identify their main motivation in the play and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Simon Stimson was a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence--however brief--alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Simon had not been in the play at all?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)