|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
2. Which state is this play set in?
3. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
4. What does Mrs. Webb chide Emily for when she first appears on stage?
5. What does George plan to do when he leaves his mother's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first actual character that the stage manager plays?
2. Who does the stage manager say has appreciated life while actually being alive?
3. Why does George run out of the church just before his wedding is to start?
4. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
5. What frustrates Emily about her parents when she returns to her life?
6. What day in her life does Emily decide to go back to?
7. Where were Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb before the third scene began?
8. What does Mrs. Webb tell Mrs. Gibbs to do when she hears of Mrs. Gibbs's $350?
9. What does Emily tell her father is keeping her awake late at night?
10. What does Mrs. Gibbs want to do with her newly found $350?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this play. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What are the titles given to the three acts in this play, and what significance do they have to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
George endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)