|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
2. What triggers the appearance of the Webb family at the beginning of the book?
3. What is the town having a discussion about after Emily and her mother stop talking?
4. What does the stage manager tell the audience they may do at the end of the first act?
5. What does Dr. Gibbs talk to George about when he sees him after school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stage manager want to put in the time capsule for the town?
2. What did the stage manager call Act 2?
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs warn Emily not to do in the third act?
4. What title did the stage manager give Act 1?
5. Who is the first character to speak in this play?
6. Why does Dr. Gibbs give George a handkerchief after reprimanding him for not doing his chores?
7. What lie does George tell Mr. Morgan when he asks why Emily is crying?
8. What does the stage manager ask Emily and George to do before they show their wedding day?
9. Where does Mr. Webb say the people in his town get the most pleasure?
10. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this play, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the titles given to the three acts in this play, and what significance do they have to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)