|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, what does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first comes out of her house?
2. What does Mr. Gibbs tease his wife about when he first appears on stage in the second act?
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide George for when he first appears on stage?
4. How many other people are talking to Howie at the beginning of the second act?
5. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Gibbs give George a handkerchief after reprimanding him for not doing his chores?
2. Where does Mr. Webb say the people in his town get the most pleasure?
3. What did the stage manager call Act 2?
4. What do Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs talk about as they walk home together in the third scene?
5. What do the people sitting in the chairs represent in the third act?
6. What is Mrs. Soames famous for?
7. What does Rebecca tell George her friend received in the mail?
8. How does Emily hurt George's feelings?
9. What is the first actual character that the stage manager plays?
10. What is George's greatest talent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Dr. Gibbs and Mr. Webb change through the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different phases of the relationship between Emily and George and how the relationship affects the course of the plot for the other characters around them.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)