|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the stage manager tell the audience they may do at the end of the first act?
2. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
(b) The stage manager.
(c) Dr. Gibbs.
3. Who tells Mr. Webb what George wants to be when he grown up?
(b) Mrs. Webb.
(d) The stage manager.
4. What does Dr. Gibbs give George when he has finished talking to him after school?
(a) A hug.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A rake.
(d) A dollar.
5. What personal detail about Simon Stimson do we learn from the stage manager?
(a) He will die in a few days.
(b) He is having an affair.
(c) He is an atheist.
(d) He has a drinking problem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Gibbs ask her husband to talk to George about at the beginning of the play?
2. What does Mrs. Gibbs invite her husband to do after his gentle rebuke to her in the yard?
3. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
4. Why is Mrs. Gibbs so worried about her husband?
5. Where is George running to when we first see him in the second act?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Dr. Gibbs been when he first appears on stage?
2. What does Mrs. Gibbs warn Emily not to do in the third act?
3. What do Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs talk about as they walk home together in the third scene?
4. What marriage advice does Mr. Webb give George on the morning of his wedding?
5. Why does Emily beg her father to let her stay home on the day of her wedding?
6. How do Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb know each other?
7. What does Mrs. Webb tell Mrs. Gibbs to do when she hears of Mrs. Gibbs's $350?
8. What does Emily demand of George just before they are married?
9. What title did the stage manager give Act 1?
10. What frustrates Emily about her parents when she returns to her life?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)