|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees his daughter Emily on stage in the second scene?
(a) Teases her.
(b) Embraces her.
(c) Asks her questions.
(d) Yells at her.
2. What is Emily doing when she asks her mother her very important question?
(a) Writing a letter.
(b) Hanging laundry.
(c) Helping her with the beans.
(d) Sewing a quilt.
3. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
(a) At the doctor's office.
(b) At their wedding.
(c) In a diner.
(d) At school.
4. Who is the first character to speak in the second act?
(a) The stage manager.
(c) Mrs. Webb.
(d) Dr. Gibbs.
5. What is so surprising to Rebecca about the mailman?
(a) He loves his job.
(b) He never fails to deliver the mail.
(c) He delivered a letter with an extensive address to her friend.
(d) He is handsome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Webb chide Emily for when she first appears on stage?
2. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
4. Which of these does the stage manager NOT mention as having happened in the space between acts?
5. What does Joe do when he leaves town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is with George when he first appears on stage?
2. What does Emily tell her father is keeping her awake late at night?
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs warn Emily not to do in the third act?
4. How does Mrs. Gibbs come across $350?
5. Why does George choose to not go to college?
6. Why does Dr. Gibbs give George a handkerchief after reprimanding him for not doing his chores?
7. Where does Mrs. Gibbs die, and what is she doing there?
8. How did Emily's brother die?
9. Who is the empty chair on stage reserved for?
10. What does the stage manager invite the audience members to do when the first act comes to a close?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)