|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interrupts Emily as she is doing her homework during the second scene?
(a) A train whistle.
(b) The church choir.
(c) The school bell.
(d) A car horn honking.
2. What does Mr. Webb talk about when he is first introduced by the stage manager?
(a) The businesses in the town.
(b) The many hardships the town has faced.
(c) The economic situation of the town.
(d) The town's social and political life.
3. Where does Mrs. Webb run when George comes to her house?
(a) To get him some food.
(b) To get dressed.
(c) To keep Emily in her room.
(d) To retrieve the present she has for him.
4. What does the stage manager do before Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs leave the stage after the first scene?
(a) Thanks them.
(b) Shushes them.
(c) Begins to close the curtain.
(d) Pulls them away from each other.
5. Who asks Emily and her mother to leave during their discussion in the second scene?
(a) The stage manager.
(c) Mrs. Gibbs.
(d) Mr. Webb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
2. Where are Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs heading at the beginning of the third scene?
3. Who asks questions of Mr. Webb when he has finished his introduction of the town?
4. At the beginning of the play what does Mrs. Webb do when she first comes out of her house?
5. What does Dr. Gibbs tell his wife he will not do while they chat in the yard together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Emily and George able to purchase their farm?
2. What does the stage manager do at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What is Mrs. Gibbs main complaint about her son at the beginning of the play?
4. Why does George run out of the church just before his wedding is to start?
5. What lie does George tell Mr. Morgan when he asks why Emily is crying?
6. What is George's opinion of women?
7. What did the stage manager call Act 2?
8. What do the people sitting in the chairs represent in the third act?
9. How do Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb know each other?
10. What does a university professor tell the audience about?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)