|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the stage manager do after George enters the cemetery?
(a) Cries with George.
(b) Holds him.
(c) Leads him away from the cemetary.
(d) Draws the curtain over the scene.
2. What does George say when Emily tells him what she is worried about while drinking sodas with him?
(a) He likes her too,
(b) It is worth it.
(c) He is happy to see her speechless.
(d) He will walk her home.
3. What does George tell Emily is so hard for a fella' as he talks to her after the student council elections?
(a) Denying pretty girls.
(b) Hiding his feelings.
(c) Avoiding conceit.
(d) Allowing faults to creep into his character.
4. What does the stage manager tell Emily and George to show the audience at the beginning of the fifth scene?
(a) The moment they fell in love.
(b) Their first kiss.
(c) Their first date.
(d) The moment they told their parents they were in love.
5. What does the stage manager say is the ancient tradition Emily and George are embarking on when they get married?
(a) Announcing to the world their monogamy.
(b) Living two by two.
(c) Forsaking ones parents.
(d) Sacrificing comfort for the greater good.
6. What does Emily tell George she is not sorry for as they talk after the student council elections?
(a) Hurting his feelings.
(b) Being so bold.
(c) Spreading a rumor.
(d) Telling the truth.
7. What does Emily say just before she gets married?
(a) She loves George.
(b) She refuses to live far from her father.
(c) She hates George and wishes she were dead.
(d) She would rather things remain the way they are.
8. What does the stage manager say during a pause in the wedding?
(a) The patterns of life repeat themselves.
(b) One of these young people will die soon.
(c) Love is a beautiful thing.
(d) Emily was wise to fear this wedding.
9. What does the stage manager say everyone in town is doing at the end of the play?
10. What does the stage manager say is replacing automobiles while he chats with George and Emily?
11. How did Emily die?
(b) Child birth.
(c) Car accident.
12. What office in the student council did Emily hold?
(a) Vice President.
13. What does Emily say about the Earth?
(a) It will always be her home.
(b) It is too wonderful for anyone to realize.
(c) It is more dear than she ever could have imagined.
(d) It is awful and wonderful.
14. What does Emily beg her mother to do at the end of the play?
(a) Come with her.
(b) Let loose of her mundane duties for a time.
(c) Truly see her and experience the moments she has.
(d) Keep her safe.
15. What does Simon Stimson say to Emily when she re-joins the group at the cemetery?
(a) She is a fool.
(b) The living are cruel and ignorant.
(c) Life was too good for him.
(d) Some lives are not worth living.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stage manager tell the audience to do at the end of the play?
2. What does Mrs. Webb say she wants to do before her daughter gets married, but does not think she will have the chance to do?
3. Who does Mrs. Webb say cried earlier in the day at the wedding?
4. What does the stage manager urge the audience to do while George and Emily prepare to tell their story?
5. Who speaks the most during the wedding?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)