|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George do after being teased on his wedding day?
(a) Runs out of the church.
(c) Remains calm.
(d) Punches someone.
2. Who is teasing George on his wedding day?
(a) The stage manager.
(b) Some baseball buddies.
(c) His father.
3. Why does Mrs. Webb say she is crying at the wedding?
(a) She doesn't know.
(b) She does not think this will last.
(c) She feels it all went too fast.
(d) She is worried.
4. What do Emily and Mrs. Gibbs say about the living when George enters the cemetery?
(a) They are wonderful and warm.
(b) They are fighting a losing battle.
(c) They are foolish.
(d) They do not understand.
5. What does the stage manager say the dead are doing?
6. What is the setting of the first scene in Act 3?
(a) A school.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) A church.
(d) A town square.
7. Why does Emily think George is so conceited?
(a) He is extremely good at baseball.
(b) He was just elected to a student council office.
(c) He dates too many girls.
(d) He is handsome.
8. What does George realize when he is talking to Emily after the student council elections?
(a) She is blushing.
(b) She is staring at him.
(c) She is mad at him.
(d) She is scared of him.
9. What does George say that he is celebrating with Emily?
(a) Having a real conversation.
(b) Winning his last baseball game.
(c) The election and their friendship.
(d) Changing the school together.
10. What does George do when he enters the cemetery alone?
(a) Speaks with his mother about how sad he is.
(b) Begs Emily to come back to him.
(c) Lays face down on Emily's grave.
(d) Places flowers on Emily's grave.
11. How much time passed between the second and third acts?
(a) Nine weeks.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Nine days.
(d) Nine years.
12. According to the stage manager, what almost always accompanies youth and love?
13. What does Emily tell George is the only thing she really wants?
(a) To be loved.
(b) To have children.
(c) To be happy.
(d) To feel safe.
14. What does the stage manager tell the audience to do at the end of the play?
(a) Learn something.
(b) Go home and rest.
(c) Live life to the fullest.
(d) Cherish those around them.
15. What does the stage manager urge the audience to do while George and Emily prepare to tell their story?
(a) Pretend this is their story.
(b) Kiss someone they love.
(c) Fill their hearts and minds with loving thoughts.
(d) Remember what it was like to be in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Webb say she wants to do before her daughter gets married, but does not think she will have the chance to do?
2. Why does Emily choose to not re-live her life?
3. What is removed from the stage during George and Emily's wedding?
4. What two terms do the dead use to describe life?
5. Which of the following characters does NOT take a seat in one of the chairs in the first scene of Act 3?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)