|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What triggers the appearance of the Webb family at the beginning of the book?
(a) An alarm clock.
(b) The school bell.
(c) The factory whistle.
(d) A horn honking.
2. What does Mr. Webb say a groom should never do?
(a) Wear white socks with a black tuxedo.
(b) Speak with his father-in-law on the day of his wedding.
(c) See the bride before the wedding.
(d) Eat a full breakfast on the day of his wedding.
3. Why does Dr. Gibbs never leave his town?
(a) He has moral obligations to stay where he is.
(b) He does not want to leave the town without a doctor.
(c) He worries about leaving his children.
(d) He hates to travel.
4. What does George want to be when he grows up?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A newspaper editor.
5. Why does Mrs. Webb panic when she sees George?
(a) She is not fully dressed yet.
(b) She thinks something is wrong at the Gibbs's house.
(c) He seems to be angry.
(d) He is not supposed to see Emily before the wedding.
6. What does Mrs. Webb chide Emily for when she first appears on stage?
(a) Being too slow to get up.
(b) Staying up too late at night.
(c) Studying while she eats.
(d) Teasing her younger siblings.
7. What is a special talent that George has?
(a) Healing animals.
8. What does Mrs. Gibbs invite her husband to do after his gentle rebuke to her in the yard?
(a) Eat some dinner.
(b) Take a drive.
(c) Smell her roses.
(d) Go on a walk.
9. What does the stage manager say that the third act will be about?
10. What does Mrs. Webb do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
(a) Kisses her husband.
(b) Feeds her chickens.
(c) Tends her garden.
(d) Makes breakfast.
11. What does Dr. Gibb rebuke Mrs. Gibbs for when she returns at the beginning of the third scene?
(b) Being late.
(c) Eating too much.
(d) Spending too much money.
12. Who asks Emily and her mother to leave during their discussion in the second scene?
(a) Mr. Webb.
(b) Mrs. Gibbs.
(c) The stage manager.
13. Where are Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs heading at the beginning of the third scene?
(a) Choir practice.
(b) The school.
(c) The market.
14. What does Dr. Gibbs tell his wife he will not do while they chat in the yard together?
(a) Work less.
(b) Take a vacation.
(c) Charge more money.
(d) Buy her an antique table.
15. What is Simon Stimson's occupation?
(c) Choir director.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Gibbs die?
2. What does Emily assure her father she does not have on her mind before he goes to bed?
3. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
4. What does the stage manager plan to put into the time capsule?
5. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)