|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
(a) Let her husband retire.
(b) Paint her house.
(c) Send her daughter to college.
(d) Go to Paris with her husband.
2. What is Joe's occupation?
3. What triggers the appearance of the Webb family at the beginning of the book?
(a) The factory whistle.
(b) An alarm clock.
(c) A horn honking.
(d) The school bell.
4. Where were Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs before the third scene?
(b) Choir practice.
(c) The school.
(d) The market.
5. Who gives the introduction to the play?
(a) The director.
(b) The stage manager.
(c) An assembly of cast members.
(d) The narrator.
6. What does the stage manager say that the third act will be about?
7. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
(a) Make sure your wife knows you are the boss.
(b) Always strike first.
(c) Never procrastinate.
(d) Keep your eye on the ball.
8. What does the stage manager say we do not know about ancient Rome and Greece?
(a) Their goals and aspirations.
(b) Their belief systems.
(c) Their daily lives.
(d) Their appearances.
9. What is happening to George to prevent him from playing baseball?
(a) He hurt his arm.
(b) He is buying a farm.
(c) He is going to war.
(d) He is getting married.
10. What is Emily doing when she asks her mother her very important question?
(a) Helping her with the beans.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Sewing a quilt.
(d) Hanging laundry.
11. What does the stage manager call the second act?
(a) Daily Life.
(b) Enduring Happiness.
(c) Love and Marriage.
(d) Life and Death.
12. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
(a) At their wedding.
(b) At school.
(c) At the doctor's office.
(d) In a diner.
13. What does George want to be when he grows up?
(a) A newspaper editor.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A farmer.
14. What does Mrs. Gibbs worry will happen to George?
(a) He won't be cared for.
(b) He will not have enough money.
(c) He will not keep in touch with her.
(d) He will forget her.
15. What does the stage manager plan to put into the time capsule?
(a) A picture of the townspeople.
(b) A drop of his blood.
(c) This play.
(d) Emily's journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the stage manager introduce at the beginning of the second scene of the play?
2. How many other people are talking to Howie at the beginning of the second act?
3. What does Dr. Gibbs say they must do to help Simon Stimson?
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs invite her husband to do after his gentle rebuke to her in the yard?
5. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)