|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the introduction to the play?
(a) The narrator.
(b) An assembly of cast members.
(c) The director.
(d) The stage manager.
2. What does Mrs. Webb chide Emily for when she first appears on stage?
(a) Being too slow to get up.
(b) Studying while she eats.
(c) Staying up too late at night.
(d) Teasing her younger siblings.
3. What are the actors doing in lieu of having real props?
(a) Using whatever is laying about.
(b) Talking about what they are doing.
(c) Making their props as they go.
(d) Miming their actions.
4. Which of these does the stage manager NOT mention as having happened in the space between acts?
(a) Mountains eroded.
(b) Children learned to walk.
(c) Wars were waged.
(d) Couples got married.
5. What is Howie Newsome's occupation?
6. What does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
(a) Feeds her chickens.
(b) Makes breakfast.
(c) Tends her garden.
(d) Kisses her husband.
7. Where was Emily just before she came on stage in the second scene?
(a) At the store.
(b) At school.
(c) At home.
(d) Taking a leisurely walk.
8. Where is Joe killed?
(a) In a street brawl.
(b) In a strange city of a strange disease.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In the war.
9. Why is Mrs. Gibbs so worried about her husband?
(a) He seems constantly tired.
(b) He is distant and cold as of late.
(c) He is exposed to a lot of sickness.
(d) He works too hard.
10. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
(a) Send her daughter to college.
(b) Paint her house.
(c) Go to Paris with her husband.
(d) Let her husband retire.
11. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide her husband for when he comes home at the beginning of the play?
(a) Not picking up the milk she needed from the store.
(b) Drinking too much.
(c) Coming home late again.
(d) Not getting enough rest.
12. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
(a) At school.
(b) At their wedding.
(c) At the doctor's office.
(d) In a diner.
13. What does Dr. Gibbs say they must do to help Simon Stimson?
(a) Leave him alone.
(b) Have compassion.
(c) Hold an intervention.
(d) Visit him often.
14. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide George for when he first appears on stage?
(a) Forgetting his homework.
(b) Spending his allowance too frivolously.
(c) Sleeping in.
(d) Talking back to her.
15. What does Mr. Webb talk to George about when Mrs. Webb runs out of her kitchen?
(d) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What personal detail about Simon Stimson do we learn from the stage manager?
2. What does Mr. Gibbs tease his wife about when he first appears on stage in the second act?
3. Where does Mrs. Webb run when George comes to her house?
4. What is Mr. Webb's profession?
5. Where does Mrs. Gibbs die?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)