|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb congratulate Emily on when they talk during the second scene?
(a) A good grade on a hard test.
(b) Her beauty beginning to bloom.
(c) A fine performance at a dance recital.
(d) A fine speech she gave in class.
2. What does the stage manager tell the audience when he first appears in the third scene?
(a) There is deep unrest in the city even if it looks peaceful.
(b) The Webb family is fighting.
(c) The town is going to bed.
(d) Someone is about to die.
3. What is so surprising to Rebecca about the mailman?
(a) He delivered a letter with an extensive address to her friend.
(b) He is handsome.
(c) He never fails to deliver the mail.
(d) He loves his job.
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs worry will happen to George?
(a) He will not have enough money.
(b) He won't be cared for.
(c) He will not keep in touch with her.
(d) He will forget her.
5. Who helps George with his homework?
(b) Mr. Webb.
(c) Mrs. Webb.
(d) Mrs. Gibbs.
6. What does Mrs. Gibbs serve for breakfast on the first morning of the second act?
(a) Ham and eggs.
(b) French toast.
(c) Fruit and toast.
(d) Hot cakes.
7. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
(a) Let her husband retire.
(b) Paint her house.
(c) Send her daughter to college.
(d) Go to Paris with her husband.
8. Where were Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs before the third scene?
(a) Choir practice.
(b) The market.
(c) The school.
9. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
(a) He did the opposite of his advice and has always been happy.
(b) He should always do what he feels is best.
(c) He believes very strongly in that piece of advice.
(d) He really doesn't know if his advice will work or not.
10. What does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
(a) Feeds her chickens.
(b) Tends her garden.
(c) Kisses her husband.
(d) Makes breakfast.
11. What time of day does this play begin?
(c) Just before sunrise.
12. What does Mrs. Gibbs ask her husband to talk to George about at the beginning of the play?
(a) Getting poor grades in school.
(b) Not doing his share of chores.
(c) Not eating his dinner.
(d) Being disrespectful to his mother.
13. What does the stage manager say that the third act will be about?
14. Who talks with George after his parents go to bed?
15. What does George talk about after his parents go to bed?
(a) The beauty of the moon.
(b) His love for Emily.
(c) His goals.
(d) The stars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
2. Which state is this play set in?
3. What does Rebecca talk about before she goes to bed?
4. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
5. What does the stage manager do before Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs leave the stage after the first scene?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)