|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
(a) Never procrastinate.
(b) Make sure your wife knows you are the boss.
(c) Always strike first.
(d) Keep your eye on the ball.
2. Who is the first character to speak in the second act?
(a) Dr. Gibbs.
(c) The stage manager.
(d) Mrs. Webb.
3. What is happening to George to prevent him from playing baseball?
(a) He hurt his arm.
(b) He is buying a farm.
(c) He is going to war.
(d) He is getting married.
4. Where does Mrs. Webb run when George comes to her house?
(a) To get him some food.
(b) To retrieve the present she has for him.
(c) To get dressed.
(d) To keep Emily in her room.
5. What is Joe's occupation?
6. What does Mr. Webb say of the people of the town that could be considered an insult?
(a) They are ignorant.
(b) They are selfish.
(c) They are dull.
(d) They are proud.
7. What does Dr. Gibbs talk to George about when he sees him after school?
(a) His bad grades.
(b) Spending too much time with Emily.
(c) Neglecting his chores.
(d) Disrespecting his mother.
8. What are the actors doing in lieu of having real props?
(a) Using whatever is laying about.
(b) Talking about what they are doing.
(c) Making their props as they go.
(d) Miming their actions.
9. Where is Mrs.Gibbs while Mr Gibbs is talking to George after school?
(a) The market.
(b) Choir practice.
(c) The garden.
(d) On a walk.
10. At the beginning of the play, what is Mrs. Gibbs doing just as her husband comes home?
(a) Making dinner.
(b) Getting ready for a party.
(c) Sewing a quilt.
(d) Calling her children to breakfast.
11. How much time passed between the first act and the second act?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three months.
12. At the beginning of the play, what does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first comes out of her house?
(a) Feeds her chickens.
(b) Strings some beans.
(c) Hangs some laundry.
(d) Checks her mailbox.
13. What does Dr. Gibbs tell his wife he will not do while they chat in the yard together?
(a) Take a vacation.
(b) Buy her an antique table.
(c) Work less.
(d) Charge more money.
14. What does the stage manager do before Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs leave the stage after the first scene?
(a) Shushes them.
(b) Pulls them away from each other.
(c) Begins to close the curtain.
(d) Thanks them.
15. What does the stage manager call the second act?
(a) Love and Marriage.
(b) Life and Death.
(c) Daily Life.
(d) Enduring Happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb do for the person he sees on his way home from work on the first day of the play?
2. What does George talk about after his parents go to bed?
3. What does Emily ask Mrs. Webb when she sees her mother after talking with Mr. Webb?
4. What does the stage manager tell the audience when he first appears in the third scene?
5. Why does Mrs. Webb panic when she sees George?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)