|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
(a) He really doesn't know if his advice will work or not.
(b) He should always do what he feels is best.
(c) He did the opposite of his advice and has always been happy.
(d) He believes very strongly in that piece of advice.
2. What is Emily doing when she asks her mother her very important question?
(a) Helping her with the beans.
(b) Hanging laundry.
(c) Sewing a quilt.
(d) Writing a letter.
3. Where were Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs before the third scene?
(a) Choir practice.
(b) The school.
(d) The market.
4. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees his daughter Emily on stage in the second scene?
(a) Teases her.
(b) Yells at her.
(c) Asks her questions.
(d) Embraces her.
5. What does Joe do when he leaves town?
(a) Goes to college.
(b) Joins the Navy.
(c) Marries his sweetheart.
(d) Works at a big city newspaper.
6. What does the stage manager say was wasted in Joe's death?
(a) His education.
(b) His enthusiasm for life.
(c) His fighting spirit.
(d) His influence on the town.
7. What interrupts Emily as she is doing her homework during the second scene?
(a) The school bell.
(b) A car horn honking.
(c) The church choir.
(d) A train whistle.
8. Who gives the introduction to the play?
(a) The narrator.
(b) An assembly of cast members.
(c) The director.
(d) The stage manager.
9. Where is George running to when we first see him in the second act?
(a) The baseball diamond.
(b) The farm.
(d) Emily's house.
10. What does Mrs. Gibbs try to do as she enters her house after talking to her husband in the yard?
(a) Wave to her neighbor.
(b) Lock her door.
(c) Check the mail.
(d) Feed the chickens.
11. What does the stage manager make special mention of just before he begins a narrative of the town?
(a) The sun.
(b) The north star.
(c) The morning star.
(d) The moon.
12. What does Mrs. Gibbs invite her husband to do after his gentle rebuke to her in the yard?
(a) Take a drive.
(b) Eat some dinner.
(c) Smell her roses.
(d) Go on a walk.
13. Who asks questions of Mr. Webb when he has finished his introduction of the town?
(a) The stage manager.
(b) Mr. Webb's children.
(c) Actors planted in the audience.
(d) Audience members.
14. At the beginning of the play, what does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first comes out of her house?
(a) Feeds her chickens.
(b) Checks her mailbox.
(c) Hangs some laundry.
(d) Strings some beans.
15. What does Emily say is keeping her from sleeping when her father comes home from work?
(a) Concern for a test the next day.
(b) The sound of the distant trains.
(c) The light from the moon and the smell of Mrs. Gibbs flowers.
(d) The worry she feels for Simon Stimwell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rebecca talk about before she goes to bed?
2. What does the stage manager plan to put into the time capsule?
3. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs ask her husband to talk to George about at the beginning of the play?
5. Where are Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs heading at the beginning of the third scene?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)