|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
(a) She won a prize for her pie recipe at the fair.
(b) She is selling an antique table of hers.
(c) Her son is doing well in school.
(d) Her husband delivered twins the night before.
2. Who does the stage manager introduce at the beginning of the second scene of the play?
(a) Another narrator.
(b) A university professor.
(c) A famous doctor.
(d) A geologist.
3. Who tells Mr. Webb what George wants to be when he grown up?
(a) Mrs. Webb.
(b) The stage manager.
4. At the beginning of the play, what does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first comes out of her house?
(a) Strings some beans.
(b) Hangs some laundry.
(c) Checks her mailbox.
(d) Feeds her chickens.
5. What does the stage manager call the second act?
(a) Love and Marriage.
(b) Life and Death.
(c) Enduring Happiness.
(d) Daily Life.
6. Where is Mrs.Gibbs while Mr Gibbs is talking to George after school?
(a) The garden.
(b) The market.
(c) Choir practice.
(d) On a walk.
7. What does Mrs. Webb chide Emily for when she first appears on stage?
(a) Staying up too late at night.
(b) Teasing her younger siblings.
(c) Being too slow to get up.
(d) Studying while she eats.
8. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
(a) Always strike first.
(b) Never procrastinate.
(c) Keep your eye on the ball.
(d) Make sure your wife knows you are the boss.
9. What does Emily say is keeping her from sleeping when her father comes home from work?
(a) The light from the moon and the smell of Mrs. Gibbs flowers.
(b) The worry she feels for Simon Stimwell.
(c) Concern for a test the next day.
(d) The sound of the distant trains.
10. What does Mrs. Gibbs try to do as she enters her house after talking to her husband in the yard?
(a) Wave to her neighbor.
(b) Check the mail.
(c) Feed the chickens.
(d) Lock her door.
11. What is Howie Newsome's occupation?
12. What is Emily doing when she asks her mother her very important question?
(a) Writing a letter.
(b) Sewing a quilt.
(c) Hanging laundry.
(d) Helping her with the beans.
13. Why does Mrs. Webb panic when she sees George?
(a) He seems to be angry.
(b) She is not fully dressed yet.
(c) She thinks something is wrong at the Gibbs's house.
(d) He is not supposed to see Emily before the wedding.
14. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
(b) The stage manager.
(c) Dr. Gibbs.
15. How many other people are talking to Howie at the beginning of the second act?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
2. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
3. What does Dr. Gibbs give George when he has finished talking to him after school?
4. What does Mr. Webb say a groom should never do?
5. What does the stage manager tell the audience when he first appears in the third scene?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)