|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interrupts Emily as she is doing her homework during the second scene?
(a) A car horn honking.
(b) The church choir.
(c) The school bell.
(d) A train whistle.
2. What does George want to be when he grows up?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A newspaper editor.
(d) A farmer.
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs ask her husband to talk to George about at the beginning of the play?
(a) Getting poor grades in school.
(b) Being disrespectful to his mother.
(c) Not eating his dinner.
(d) Not doing his share of chores.
4. What does Dr. Gibb rebuke Mrs. Gibbs for when she returns at the beginning of the third scene?
(b) Eating too much.
(c) Spending too much money.
(d) Being late.
5. At the beginning of the play what does Mrs. Webb do when she first comes out of her house?
(a) Strings some beans.
(b) Feeds her chickens.
(c) Checks her mailbox.
(d) Hangs some laundry.
6. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
(a) He was drunk.
(b) He seemed sad.
(c) He swore in front of her.
(d) He was angry.
7. What does Mrs. Gibbs serve for breakfast on the first morning of the second act?
(a) Ham and eggs.
(b) Hot cakes.
(c) French toast.
(d) Fruit and toast.
8. Who talks with George after his parents go to bed?
9. What good news does Dr. Gibbs give his wife when they enter their house during the third scene?
(a) He is ready to take a vacation.
(b) He just got a raise.
(c) George will do all his chores now.
(d) She won the town contest.
10. Why does Mrs. Webb panic when she sees George?
(a) He is not supposed to see Emily before the wedding.
(b) She thinks something is wrong at the Gibbs's house.
(c) He seems to be angry.
(d) She is not fully dressed yet.
11. Who helps George with his homework?
(a) Mrs. Gibbs.
(c) Mrs. Webb.
(d) Mr. Webb.
12. What is Emily doing when she asks her mother her very important question?
(a) Hanging laundry.
(b) Helping her with the beans.
(c) Sewing a quilt.
(d) Writing a letter.
13. How much time passed between the first act and the second act?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three years.
14. What does the stage manager call the second act?
(a) Daily Life.
(b) Enduring Happiness.
(c) Life and Death.
(d) Love and Marriage.
15. Where was Emily just before she came on stage in the second scene?
(a) At school.
(b) Taking a leisurely walk.
(c) At home.
(d) At the store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the introduction to the play?
2. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
3. Where does Mrs. Gibbs die?
4. What does Mr. Webb talk to George about when Mrs. Webb runs out of her kitchen?
5. What does George plan to do when he leaves his mother's house?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)