|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the stage manager plan to put into the time capsule?
(a) A drop of his blood.
(b) This play.
(c) Emily's journal.
(d) A picture of the townspeople.
2. What does the stage manager tell the audience when he first appears in the third scene?
(a) The Webb family is fighting.
(b) There is deep unrest in the city even if it looks peaceful.
(c) The town is going to bed.
(d) Someone is about to die.
3. At the beginning of the play, what does Dr. Gibbs say he has been up all night doing?
(a) Preparing a man for death.
(b) Drinking at the local bar.
(c) Attending to the wounds of two returned war veterans.
(d) Helping a woman give birth to twins.
4. What is a special talent that George has?
(d) Healing animals.
5. What does Emily say is keeping her from sleeping when her father comes home from work?
(a) The sound of the distant trains.
(b) The worry she feels for Simon Stimwell.
(c) The light from the moon and the smell of Mrs. Gibbs flowers.
(d) Concern for a test the next day.
6. What does the stage manager say that the third act will be about?
7. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide her husband for when he comes home at the beginning of the play?
(a) Not getting enough rest.
(b) Drinking too much.
(c) Coming home late again.
(d) Not picking up the milk she needed from the store.
8. Where is George running to when we first see him in the second act?
(a) The farm.
(b) Emily's house.
(d) The baseball diamond.
9. Where are Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs heading at the beginning of the third scene?
(a) The school.
(c) Choir practice.
(d) The market.
10. What is Simon Stimson's occupation?
(d) Choir director.
11. What does Mrs. Gibbs ask her husband to talk to George about at the beginning of the play?
(a) Not doing his share of chores.
(b) Getting poor grades in school.
(c) Being disrespectful to his mother.
(d) Not eating his dinner.
12. What does Mr. Webb do for the person he sees on his way home from work on the first day of the play?
(a) Comforts him.
(b) Sends him home.
(c) Hurries along home.
(d) Stops to listen to him.
13. What does Mr. Webb tell his daughter to do when he gets home from work?
(a) Turn out her lights.
(b) Show him her homework.
(c) Eat supper with him.
(d) Hug him.
14. Where is Joe killed?
(a) In a street brawl.
(b) In the war.
(c) In a strange city of a strange disease.
(d) In a car accident.
15. What does George want to be when he grows up?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A newspaper editor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb talk about when he is first introduced by the stage manager?
2. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
3. Why does Dr. Gibbs never leave his town?
4. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
5. What does Joe do when he leaves town?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)