|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
(a) At the doctor's office.
(b) At their wedding.
(c) At school.
(d) In a diner.
2. What does Mr. Webb do for the person he sees on his way home from work on the first day of the play?
(a) Sends him home.
(b) Hurries along home.
(c) Stops to listen to him.
(d) Comforts him.
3. What is Howie Newsome's occupation?
4. What does George want to be when he grows up?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A newspaper editor.
(d) A soldier.
5. What does the stage manager tell the audience when he first appears in the third scene?
(a) Someone is about to die.
(b) The town is going to bed.
(c) The Webb family is fighting.
(d) There is deep unrest in the city even if it looks peaceful.
6. What are the actors doing in lieu of having real props?
(a) Miming their actions.
(b) Using whatever is laying about.
(c) Talking about what they are doing.
(d) Making their props as they go.
7. Who is the first character to speak in the second act?
(a) Dr. Gibbs.
(b) The stage manager.
(c) Mrs. Webb.
8. Where was Emily just before she came on stage in the second scene?
(a) At the store.
(b) Taking a leisurely walk.
(c) At school.
(d) At home.
9. What personal detail about Simon Stimson do we learn from the stage manager?
(a) He will die in a few days.
(b) He is an atheist.
(c) He is having an affair.
(d) He has a drinking problem.
10. What does Emily do when she sees her father on stage in the second scene?
(a) Teases him.
(b) Asks him questions.
(c) Embraces him.
(d) Yells at him.
11. What does Mr. Gibbs tease his wife about when he first appears on stage in the second act?
(a) Putting on a wedding.
(b) Gaining weight.
(d) Losing a child.
12. What does Emily ask Mrs. Webb when she sees her mother after talking with Mr. Webb?
(a) If she is smart.
(b) If she is pretty.
(c) If she is well-liked.
(d) If she seems happy.
13. What does Rebecca talk about before she goes to bed?
(a) A letter her friend received.
(b) Her new dress.
(c) Her schoolmates.
(d) The beauty of the moon.
14. Why does Dr. Gibbs never leave his town?
(a) He hates to travel.
(b) He does not want to leave the town without a doctor.
(c) He worries about leaving his children.
(d) He has moral obligations to stay where he is.
15. What is Mrs. Soames known in the town for?
(a) Her manners.
(b) Her gossip.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her sickness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Webb's profession?
2. Where were Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs before the third scene?
3. What does Mr. Gibbs say is something only done in big cities?
4. How much time passed between the first act and the second act?
5. What does Mrs. Gibbs try to do as she enters her house after talking to her husband in the yard?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)