|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
(a) The higher prices of milk.
(b) The war.
(c) Losing a great baseball player.
(d) Simon Stimson's drunkeness.
2. What are the actors doing in lieu of having real props?
(a) Miming their actions.
(b) Talking about what they are doing.
(c) Making their props as they go.
(d) Using whatever is laying about.
3. What interrupts Emily as she is doing her homework during the second scene?
(a) A train whistle.
(b) The church choir.
(c) The school bell.
(d) A car horn honking.
4. What is Emily doing when she asks her mother her very important question?
(a) Sewing a quilt.
(b) Hanging laundry.
(c) Writing a letter.
(d) Helping her with the beans.
5. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide her husband for when he comes home at the beginning of the play?
(a) Not getting enough rest.
(b) Coming home late again.
(c) Not picking up the milk she needed from the store.
(d) Drinking too much.
6. What is a special talent that George has?
(c) Healing animals.
7. What does Mr. Gibbs say is something only done in big cities?
(a) Encouraging a college education.
(b) Spreading gossip.
(c) Working too long.
(d) Locking doors.
8. What does the stage manager tell the audience they may do at the end of the first act?
9. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
(a) He swore in front of her.
(b) He was drunk.
(c) He seemed sad.
(d) He was angry.
10. What does Emily do when she sees her father on stage in the second scene?
(a) Yells at him.
(b) Embraces him.
(c) Asks him questions.
(d) Teases him.
11. What does Mrs. Webb do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
(a) Tends her garden.
(b) Makes breakfast.
(c) Feeds her chickens.
(d) Kisses her husband.
12. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
(a) At the doctor's office.
(b) At school.
(c) In a diner.
(d) At their wedding.
13. What good news does Dr. Gibbs give his wife when they enter their house during the third scene?
(a) He is ready to take a vacation.
(b) George will do all his chores now.
(c) He just got a raise.
(d) She won the town contest.
14. Where were Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs before the third scene?
(a) Choir practice.
(b) The school.
(d) The market.
15. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
(a) Paint her house.
(b) Let her husband retire.
(c) Go to Paris with her husband.
(d) Send her daughter to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stage manager do before Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs leave the stage after the first scene?
2. Why is Mrs. Gibbs so worried about her husband?
3. How many other people are talking to Howie at the beginning of the second act?
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide George for when he first appears on stage?
5. What does Mr. Webb talk about when he is first introduced by the stage manager?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)