|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
(a) Send her daughter to college.
(b) Go to Paris with her husband.
(c) Let her husband retire.
(d) Paint her house.
2. Who gives the introduction to the play?
(a) The narrator.
(b) An assembly of cast members.
(c) The director.
(d) The stage manager.
3. Which state is this play set in?
(a) New Mexico.
(b) New York.
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) North Carolina.
4. What are the actors doing in lieu of having real props?
(a) Making their props as they go.
(b) Talking about what they are doing.
(c) Miming their actions.
(d) Using whatever is laying about.
5. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
(a) Always strike first.
(b) Keep your eye on the ball.
(c) Make sure your wife knows you are the boss.
(d) Never procrastinate.
6. What did the stage manager call the first act?
(a) Daily Life.
(b) Enduring Happiness.
(c) Life and Death.
(d) Love and Marriage.
7. What does the stage manager do before Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs leave the stage after the first scene?
(a) Begins to close the curtain.
(b) Shushes them.
(c) Pulls them away from each other.
(d) Thanks them.
8. Where were Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs before the third scene?
(a) The market.
(b) Choir practice.
(c) The school.
9. Who asks questions of Mr. Webb when he has finished his introduction of the town?
(a) Actors planted in the audience.
(b) Audience members.
(c) Mr. Webb's children.
(d) The stage manager.
10. What does Dr. Gibbs give George when he has finished talking to him after school?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A rake.
(c) A hug.
(d) A dollar.
11. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
(a) The war.
(b) Losing a great baseball player.
(c) The higher prices of milk.
(d) Simon Stimson's drunkeness.
12. What does Mr. Webb congratulate Emily on when they talk during the second scene?
(a) A fine performance at a dance recital.
(b) Her beauty beginning to bloom.
(c) A good grade on a hard test.
(d) A fine speech she gave in class.
13. What does the stage manager say was wasted in Joe's death?
(a) His influence on the town.
(b) His education.
(c) His fighting spirit.
(d) His enthusiasm for life.
14. Who does the stage manager introduce at the beginning of the second scene of the play?
(a) A university professor.
(b) A famous doctor.
(c) A geologist.
(d) Another narrator.
15. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide her husband for when he comes home at the beginning of the play?
(a) Drinking too much.
(b) Not picking up the milk she needed from the store.
(c) Not getting enough rest.
(d) Coming home late again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps George with his homework?
2. What triggers the appearance of the Webb family at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Dr. Gibbs say they must do to help Simon Stimson?
4. How much time passed between the first act and the second act?
5. What does Mr. Webb talk to George about when Mrs. Webb runs out of her kitchen?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)