|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps George with his homework?
(a) Mr. Webb.
(c) Mrs. Gibbs.
(d) Mrs. Webb.
2. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
(a) Dr. Gibbs.
(c) The stage manager.
3. What does George plan to do when he leaves his mother's house?
(a) Raise chickens.
(b) Go to war.
(c) Play baseball.
(d) Become a writer.
4. What does Mr. Webb say a groom should never do?
(a) See the bride before the wedding.
(b) Wear white socks with a black tuxedo.
(c) Speak with his father-in-law on the day of his wedding.
(d) Eat a full breakfast on the day of his wedding.
5. How much time passed between the first act and the second act?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three hours.
6. Where was Emily just before she came on stage in the second scene?
(a) At the store.
(b) At home.
(c) Taking a leisurely walk.
(d) At school.
7. What does Mr. Gibbs tease his wife about when he first appears on stage in the second act?
(a) Gaining weight.
(c) Losing a child.
(d) Putting on a wedding.
8. What does Mr. Gibbs say is something only done in big cities?
(a) Working too long.
(b) Locking doors.
(c) Spreading gossip.
(d) Encouraging a college education.
9. Where does Mrs. Gibbs die?
(a) Out west while visiting her daughter.
(b) At home in her bed.
(c) At a town party.
(d) On the train while traveling.
10. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
(a) Losing a great baseball player.
(b) Simon Stimson's drunkeness.
(c) The war.
(d) The higher prices of milk.
11. What does Mr. Webb do for the person he sees on his way home from work on the first day of the play?
(a) Stops to listen to him.
(b) Sends him home.
(c) Comforts him.
(d) Hurries along home.
12. Who asks Emily and her mother to leave during their discussion in the second scene?
(a) The stage manager.
(c) Mr. Webb.
(d) Mrs. Gibbs.
13. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
(a) He was angry.
(b) He swore in front of her.
(c) He was drunk.
(d) He seemed sad.
14. What does Dr. Gibbs tell his wife he will not do while they chat in the yard together?
(a) Buy her an antique table.
(b) Take a vacation.
(c) Charge more money.
(d) Work less.
15. What does Emily do when she sees her father on stage in the second scene?
(a) Yells at him.
(b) Teases him.
(c) Embraces him.
(d) Asks him questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks with George after his parents go to bed?
2. What is Emily doing when she asks her mother her very important question?
3. Which state is this play set in?
4. Where is George running to when we first see him in the second act?
5. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide George for when he first appears on stage?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)