|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
(a) Her husband delivered twins the night before.
(b) She won a prize for her pie recipe at the fair.
(c) Her son is doing well in school.
(d) She is selling an antique table of hers.
2. What does the stage manager say we do not know about ancient Rome and Greece?
(a) Their belief systems.
(b) Their appearances.
(c) Their daily lives.
(d) Their goals and aspirations.
3. Which state is this play set in?
(a) New Hampshire.
(b) New York.
(c) New Mexico.
(d) North Carolina.
4. What does the stage manager tell the audience they may do at the end of the first act?
5. What does Mr. Gibbs tease his wife about when he first appears on stage in the second act?
(a) Losing a child.
(b) Gaining weight.
(d) Putting on a wedding.
6. At the beginning of the play, what is Mrs. Gibbs doing just as her husband comes home?
(a) Sewing a quilt.
(b) Getting ready for a party.
(c) Making dinner.
(d) Calling her children to breakfast.
7. What is a special talent that George has?
(b) Healing animals.
8. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
(a) The higher prices of milk.
(b) Losing a great baseball player.
(c) Simon Stimson's drunkeness.
(d) The war.
9. Why is Mrs. Gibbs so worried about her husband?
(a) He is exposed to a lot of sickness.
(b) He works too hard.
(c) He seems constantly tired.
(d) He is distant and cold as of late.
10. What is so surprising to Rebecca about the mailman?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) He delivered a letter with an extensive address to her friend.
(c) He loves his job.
(d) He never fails to deliver the mail.
11. What does Mrs. Gibbs try to do as she enters her house after talking to her husband in the yard?
(a) Wave to her neighbor.
(b) Check the mail.
(c) Feed the chickens.
(d) Lock her door.
12. What is Simon Stimson's occupation?
(a) Choir director.
13. What does Mr. Webb notice about the person he sees on the way home from work on the first day?
(a) He looks scared.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is in a hurry.
(d) He is crying.
14. What does the stage manager call the second act?
(a) Life and Death.
(b) Daily Life.
(c) Enduring Happiness.
(d) Love and Marriage.
15. What does Dr. Gibbs tell his wife he will not do while they chat in the yard together?
(a) Buy her an antique table.
(b) Work less.
(c) Take a vacation.
(d) Charge more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stage manager say that the third act will be about?
2. What is Mrs. Soames known in the town for?
3. Who is the first character to speak in the second act?
4. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees his daughter Emily on stage in the second scene?
5. What does Mr. Webb do for the person he sees on his way home from work on the first day of the play?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)