|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees his daughter Emily on stage in the second scene?
(a) Asks her questions.
(b) Yells at her.
(c) Embraces her.
(d) Teases her.
2. What does Dr. Gibbs talk to George about when he sees him after school?
(a) Disrespecting his mother.
(b) Neglecting his chores.
(c) Spending too much time with Emily.
(d) His bad grades.
3. What does Mr. Webb congratulate Emily on when they talk during the second scene?
(a) Her beauty beginning to bloom.
(b) A good grade on a hard test.
(c) A fine speech she gave in class.
(d) A fine performance at a dance recital.
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs serve for breakfast on the first morning of the second act?
(a) Hot cakes.
(b) Ham and eggs.
(c) French toast.
(d) Fruit and toast.
5. Where are Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs heading at the beginning of the third scene?
(a) The market.
(c) Choir practice.
(d) The school.
6. What is the town having a discussion about after Emily and her mother stop talking?
(a) What to put in a time capsule.
(b) What to do about the economy.
(c) How to punish a criminal.
(d) Who to elect mayor.
7. Where is Mrs.Gibbs while Mr Gibbs is talking to George after school?
(a) Choir practice.
(b) On a walk.
(c) The market.
(d) The garden.
8. What does Mr. Webb talk about when he is first introduced by the stage manager?
(a) The businesses in the town.
(b) The town's social and political life.
(c) The many hardships the town has faced.
(d) The economic situation of the town.
9. What does the stage manager plan to put into the time capsule?
(a) This play.
(b) A picture of the townspeople.
(c) Emily's journal.
(d) A drop of his blood.
10. What triggers the appearance of the Webb family at the beginning of the book?
(a) A horn honking.
(b) The school bell.
(c) An alarm clock.
(d) The factory whistle.
11. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
(c) The stage manager.
(d) Dr. Gibbs.
12. What does the stage manager tell the audience when he first appears in the third scene?
(a) The town is going to bed.
(b) The Webb family is fighting.
(c) Someone is about to die.
(d) There is deep unrest in the city even if it looks peaceful.
13. What did the stage manager call the first act?
(a) Daily Life.
(b) Life and Death.
(c) Love and Marriage.
(d) Enduring Happiness.
14. Where is George running to when we first see him in the second act?
(b) Emily's house.
(c) The baseball diamond.
(d) The farm.
15. Who does the stage manager introduce at the beginning of the second scene of the play?
(a) A university professor.
(b) A geologist.
(c) A famous doctor.
(d) Another narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Joe killed?
2. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
3. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
4. What interrupts Emily as she is doing her homework during the second scene?
5. How much time passed between the first act and the second act?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)