|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the stage manager call the first act?
(a) Life and Death.
(b) Daily Life.
(c) Love and Marriage.
(d) Enduring Happiness.
2. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide her husband for when he comes home at the beginning of the play?
(a) Drinking too much.
(b) Coming home late again.
(c) Not getting enough rest.
(d) Not picking up the milk she needed from the store.
3. What does Mr. Webb say a groom should never do?
(a) Eat a full breakfast on the day of his wedding.
(b) See the bride before the wedding.
(c) Speak with his father-in-law on the day of his wedding.
(d) Wear white socks with a black tuxedo.
4. What does the stage manager do before Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs leave the stage after the first scene?
(a) Begins to close the curtain.
(b) Shushes them.
(c) Thanks them.
(d) Pulls them away from each other.
5. What does Dr. Gibbs say they must do to help Simon Stimson?
(a) Visit him often.
(b) Hold an intervention.
(c) Have compassion.
(d) Leave him alone.
6. Where is George running to when we first see him in the second act?
(a) Emily's house.
(b) The baseball diamond.
(d) The farm.
7. Which of these does the stage manager NOT mention as having happened in the space between acts?
(a) Couples got married.
(b) Wars were waged.
(c) Children learned to walk.
(d) Mountains eroded.
8. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide George for when he first appears on stage?
(a) Sleeping in.
(b) Talking back to her.
(c) Forgetting his homework.
(d) Spending his allowance too frivolously.
9. What does Dr. Gibbs give George when he has finished talking to him after school?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A hug.
(c) A rake.
(d) A dollar.
10. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
(a) Her son is doing well in school.
(b) Her husband delivered twins the night before.
(c) She is selling an antique table of hers.
(d) She won a prize for her pie recipe at the fair.
11. What does the stage manager say we do not know about ancient Rome and Greece?
(a) Their appearances.
(b) Their goals and aspirations.
(c) Their belief systems.
(d) Their daily lives.
12. How many other people are talking to Howie at the beginning of the second act?
13. What does Mr. Webb talk to George about when Mrs. Webb runs out of her kitchen?
(a) The war.
14. What does Mrs. Webb chide Emily for when she first appears on stage?
(a) Teasing her younger siblings.
(b) Studying while she eats.
(c) Being too slow to get up.
(d) Staying up too late at night.
15. What is Mr. Webb's profession?
(b) Newspaper editor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the stage manager introduce at the beginning of the second scene of the play?
2. What does George want to be when he grows up?
3. What is Simon Stimson's occupation?
4. What does Mr. Webb tell his daughter to do when he gets home from work?
5. What does Mrs. Gibbs serve for breakfast on the first morning of the second act?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)