|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the introduction to the play?
(a) The stage manager.
(b) An assembly of cast members.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The director.
2. What are the actors doing in lieu of having real props?
(a) Making their props as they go.
(b) Talking about what they are doing.
(c) Using whatever is laying about.
(d) Miming their actions.
3. What does the stage manager do before Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs leave the stage after the first scene?
(a) Pulls them away from each other.
(b) Begins to close the curtain.
(c) Shushes them.
(d) Thanks them.
4. Who asks questions of Mr. Webb when he has finished his introduction of the town?
(a) Audience members.
(b) The stage manager.
(c) Mr. Webb's children.
(d) Actors planted in the audience.
5. Who talks with George after his parents go to bed?
6. What does Mr. Gibbs tease his wife about when he first appears on stage in the second act?
(a) Losing a child.
(c) Putting on a wedding.
(d) Gaining weight.
7. How much time passed between the first act and the second act?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three months.
8. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
(a) Let her husband retire.
(b) Send her daughter to college.
(c) Paint her house.
(d) Go to Paris with her husband.
9. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
(a) He really doesn't know if his advice will work or not.
(b) He did the opposite of his advice and has always been happy.
(c) He believes very strongly in that piece of advice.
(d) He should always do what he feels is best.
10. What does Mr. Webb say of the people of the town that could be considered an insult?
(a) They are proud.
(b) They are selfish.
(c) They are ignorant.
(d) They are dull.
11. What does the stage manager say we do not know about ancient Rome and Greece?
(a) Their goals and aspirations.
(b) Their daily lives.
(c) Their appearances.
(d) Their belief systems.
12. What does Dr. Gibbs give George when he has finished talking to him after school?
(a) A dollar.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A rake.
(d) A hug.
13. What interrupts Emily as she is doing her homework during the second scene?
(a) A car horn honking.
(b) The school bell.
(c) The church choir.
(d) A train whistle.
14. What does the stage manager call the second act?
(a) Love and Marriage.
(b) Enduring Happiness.
(c) Life and Death.
(d) Daily Life.
15. Where is Mrs.Gibbs while Mr Gibbs is talking to George after school?
(a) The market.
(b) On a walk.
(c) Choir practice.
(d) The garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stage manager tell the audience when he first appears in the third scene?
2. What does Mr. Webb talk about when he is first introduced by the stage manager?
3. Why does Dr. Gibbs never leave his town?
4. Who asks Emily and her mother to leave during their discussion in the second scene?
5. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)