|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
(a) The stage manager.
(b) Dr. Gibbs.
2. Where was Emily just before she came on stage in the second scene?
(a) At home.
(b) Taking a leisurely walk.
(c) At the store.
(d) At school.
3. What does Mr. Webb talk about when he is first introduced by the stage manager?
(a) The businesses in the town.
(b) The economic situation of the town.
(c) The many hardships the town has faced.
(d) The town's social and political life.
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs invite her husband to do after his gentle rebuke to her in the yard?
(a) Take a drive.
(b) Go on a walk.
(c) Smell her roses.
(d) Eat some dinner.
5. What is so surprising to Rebecca about the mailman?
(a) He delivered a letter with an extensive address to her friend.
(b) He loves his job.
(c) He never fails to deliver the mail.
(d) He is handsome.
6. What does the stage manager tell the audience they may do at the end of the first act?
7. At the beginning of the play what does Mrs. Webb do when she first comes out of her house?
(a) Hangs some laundry.
(b) Strings some beans.
(c) Feeds her chickens.
(d) Checks her mailbox.
8. What is Mrs. Soames known in the town for?
(a) Her manners.
(b) Her sickness.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her gossip.
9. Who asks questions of Mr. Webb when he has finished his introduction of the town?
(a) Actors planted in the audience.
(b) Audience members.
(c) The stage manager.
(d) Mr. Webb's children.
10. What does the stage manager make special mention of just before he begins a narrative of the town?
(a) The moon.
(b) The north star.
(c) The sun.
(d) The morning star.
11. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
(a) Paint her house.
(b) Send her daughter to college.
(c) Let her husband retire.
(d) Go to Paris with her husband.
12. What does Dr. Gibbs talk to George about when he sees him after school?
(a) Disrespecting his mother.
(b) Neglecting his chores.
(c) His bad grades.
(d) Spending too much time with Emily.
13. Why does Dr. Gibbs never leave his town?
(a) He has moral obligations to stay where he is.
(b) He worries about leaving his children.
(c) He does not want to leave the town without a doctor.
(d) He hates to travel.
14. Who talks with George after his parents go to bed?
15. What does Emily ask Mrs. Webb when she sees her mother after talking with Mr. Webb?
(a) If she seems happy.
(b) If she is smart.
(c) If she is well-liked.
(d) If she is pretty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What triggers the appearance of the Webb family at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Mr. Webb congratulate Emily on when they talk during the second scene?
3. Why is Mrs. Gibbs so worried about her husband?
4. What is Mr. Webb's profession?
5. What personal detail about Simon Stimson do we learn from the stage manager?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)