|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who talks with George after his parents go to bed?
2. Which of these does the stage manager NOT mention as having happened in the space between acts?
(a) Wars were waged.
(b) Mountains eroded.
(c) Children learned to walk.
(d) Couples got married.
3. Why is Mrs. Gibbs so worried about her husband?
(a) He is exposed to a lot of sickness.
(b) He is distant and cold as of late.
(c) He works too hard.
(d) He seems constantly tired.
4. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
(a) He was drunk.
(b) He seemed sad.
(c) He swore in front of her.
(d) He was angry.
5. Why does Mrs. Webb panic when she sees George?
(a) He is not supposed to see Emily before the wedding.
(b) He seems to be angry.
(c) She is not fully dressed yet.
(d) She thinks something is wrong at the Gibbs's house.
6. What does the stage manager tell the audience they may do at the end of the first act?
7. What does Dr. Gibbs tell his wife he will not do while they chat in the yard together?
(a) Take a vacation.
(b) Work less.
(c) Charge more money.
(d) Buy her an antique table.
8. What triggers the appearance of the Webb family at the beginning of the book?
(a) The factory whistle.
(b) A horn honking.
(c) The school bell.
(d) An alarm clock.
9. What does Mrs. Gibbs worry will happen to George?
(a) He will not have enough money.
(b) He will forget her.
(c) He won't be cared for.
(d) He will not keep in touch with her.
10. What good news does Dr. Gibbs give his wife when they enter their house during the third scene?
(a) George will do all his chores now.
(b) He is ready to take a vacation.
(c) He just got a raise.
(d) She won the town contest.
11. What does Mr. Webb say a groom should never do?
(a) Wear white socks with a black tuxedo.
(b) Eat a full breakfast on the day of his wedding.
(c) See the bride before the wedding.
(d) Speak with his father-in-law on the day of his wedding.
12. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
(a) Never procrastinate.
(b) Make sure your wife knows you are the boss.
(c) Keep your eye on the ball.
(d) Always strike first.
13. What does Emily say is keeping her from sleeping when her father comes home from work?
(a) The light from the moon and the smell of Mrs. Gibbs flowers.
(b) Concern for a test the next day.
(c) The worry she feels for Simon Stimwell.
(d) The sound of the distant trains.
14. Who tells Mr. Webb what George wants to be when he grown up?
(b) Mrs. Webb.
(c) The stage manager.
15. What does Mr. Webb say of the people of the town that could be considered an insult?
(a) They are selfish.
(b) They are dull.
(c) They are proud.
(d) They are ignorant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Gibbs try to do as she enters her house after talking to her husband in the yard?
2. What does the stage manager say that the third act will be about?
3. What is the town having a discussion about after Emily and her mother stop talking?
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs serve for breakfast on the first morning of the second act?
5. Who does the stage manager introduce at the beginning of the second scene of the play?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)