Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Webb do for the person he sees on his way home from work on the first day of the play?
(a) Stops to listen to him.
(b) Hurries along home.
(c) Sends him home.
(d) Comforts him.
2. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
(a) Keep your eye on the ball.
(b) Always strike first.
(c) Make sure your wife knows you are the boss.
(d) Never procrastinate.
3. How many other people are talking to Howie at the beginning of the second act?
4. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
(a) The war.
(b) The higher prices of milk.
(c) Losing a great baseball player.
(d) Simon Stimson's drunkeness.
5. Who asks questions of Mr. Webb when he has finished his introduction of the town?
(a) The stage manager.
(b) Mr. Webb's children.
(c) Audience members.
(d) Actors planted in the audience.
6. Where does Mrs. Webb run when George comes to her house?
(a) To get dressed.
(b) To get him some food.
(c) To retrieve the present she has for him.
(d) To keep Emily in her room.
7. Which of these does the stage manager NOT mention as having happened in the space between acts?
(a) Mountains eroded.
(b) Couples got married.
(c) Children learned to walk.
(d) Wars were waged.
8. What does the stage manager make special mention of just before he begins a narrative of the town?
(a) The sun.
(b) The moon.
(c) The north star.
(d) The morning star.
9. What does Mrs. Webb do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
(a) Kisses her husband.
(b) Tends her garden.
(c) Feeds her chickens.
(d) Makes breakfast.
10. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
(a) He did the opposite of his advice and has always been happy.
(b) He really doesn't know if his advice will work or not.
(c) He should always do what he feels is best.
(d) He believes very strongly in that piece of advice.
11. What time of day does this play begin?
(d) Just before sunrise.
12. What does George plan to do when he leaves his mother's house?
(a) Go to war.
(b) Become a writer.
(c) Play baseball.
(d) Raise chickens.
13. What does Mrs. Gibbs worry will happen to George?
(a) He won't be cared for.
(b) He will forget her.
(c) He will not keep in touch with her.
(d) He will not have enough money.
14. Who talks with George after his parents go to bed?
15. Why is Mrs. Gibbs so worried about her husband?
(a) He seems constantly tired.
(b) He is distant and cold as of late.
(c) He works too hard.
(d) He is exposed to a lot of sickness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening to George to prevent him from playing baseball?
2. What does Mr. Webb notice about the person he sees on the way home from work on the first day?
3. What does Dr. Gibbs give George when he has finished talking to him after school?
4. What does Mr. Gibbs say is something only done in big cities?
5. What personal detail about Simon Stimson do we learn from the stage manager?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)