|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily do when she sees her father on stage in the second scene?
(a) Embraces him.
(b) Asks him questions.
(c) Teases him.
(d) Yells at him.
2. What does the stage manager call the second act?
(a) Love and Marriage.
(b) Enduring Happiness.
(c) Daily Life.
(d) Life and Death.
3. What does Dr. Gibbs tell his wife he will not do while they chat in the yard together?
(a) Buy her an antique table.
(b) Charge more money.
(c) Take a vacation.
(d) Work less.
4. What does the stage manager say was wasted in Joe's death?
(a) His fighting spirit.
(b) His influence on the town.
(c) His enthusiasm for life.
(d) His education.
5. Which of these does the stage manager NOT mention as having happened in the space between acts?
(a) Couples got married.
(b) Mountains eroded.
(c) Children learned to walk.
(d) Wars were waged.
6. What does Mrs. Gibbs try to do as she enters her house after talking to her husband in the yard?
(a) Lock her door.
(b) Wave to her neighbor.
(c) Feed the chickens.
(d) Check the mail.
7. What is the town having a discussion about after Emily and her mother stop talking?
(a) What to do about the economy.
(b) What to put in a time capsule.
(c) Who to elect mayor.
(d) How to punish a criminal.
8. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
(a) She is selling an antique table of hers.
(b) Her husband delivered twins the night before.
(c) Her son is doing well in school.
(d) She won a prize for her pie recipe at the fair.
9. Why does Dr. Gibbs never leave his town?
(a) He has moral obligations to stay where he is.
(b) He does not want to leave the town without a doctor.
(c) He worries about leaving his children.
(d) He hates to travel.
10. What does Mrs. Gibbs serve for breakfast on the first morning of the second act?
(a) French toast.
(b) Ham and eggs.
(c) Hot cakes.
(d) Fruit and toast.
11. What triggers the appearance of the Webb family at the beginning of the book?
(a) An alarm clock.
(b) A horn honking.
(c) The factory whistle.
(d) The school bell.
12. What does Dr. Gibb rebuke Mrs. Gibbs for when she returns at the beginning of the third scene?
(a) Spending too much money.
(b) Being late.
(c) Eating too much.
13. What is Joe's occupation?
14. Which state is this play set in?
(a) North Carolina.
(b) New Mexico.
(c) New York.
(d) New Hampshire.
15. What does the stage manager make special mention of just before he begins a narrative of the town?
(a) The morning star.
(b) The moon.
(c) The sun.
(d) The north star.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Gibbs worry will happen to George?
2. What does Mr. Gibbs say is something only done in big cities?
3. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
4. What does the stage manager say we do not know about ancient Rome and Greece?
5. At the beginning of the play, what is Mrs. Gibbs doing just as her husband comes home?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)