|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Gibbs worry will happen to George?
(a) He will forget her.
(b) He will not keep in touch with her.
(c) He won't be cared for.
(d) He will not have enough money.
2. What advice does Mr. Webb give George as they talk in his kitchen?
(a) Make sure your wife knows you are the boss.
(b) Always strike first.
(c) Never procrastinate.
(d) Keep your eye on the ball.
3. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide George for when he first appears on stage?
(a) Spending his allowance too frivolously.
(b) Talking back to her.
(c) Sleeping in.
(d) Forgetting his homework.
4. What does Mr. Webb say of the people of the town that could be considered an insult?
(a) They are dull.
(b) They are ignorant.
(c) They are proud.
(d) They are selfish.
5. What is a special talent that George has?
(b) Healing animals.
6. Which state is this play set in?
(a) North Carolina.
(b) New Mexico.
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) New York.
7. What does Mr. Gibbs tease his wife about when he first appears on stage in the second act?
(a) Putting on a wedding.
(c) Gaining weight.
(d) Losing a child.
8. Where was Emily just before she came on stage in the second scene?
(a) At the store.
(b) At school.
(c) Taking a leisurely walk.
(d) At home.
9. Why is Mrs. Gibbs so worried about her husband?
(a) He is exposed to a lot of sickness.
(b) He works too hard.
(c) He is distant and cold as of late.
(d) He seems constantly tired.
10. What does Howie Newsome talk about in the street at the beginning of the second act?
(a) Simon Stimson's drunkeness.
(b) The higher prices of milk.
(c) Losing a great baseball player.
(d) The war.
11. How does Mrs. Gibbs want to use the extra money she has coming in?
(a) Let her husband retire.
(b) Go to Paris with her husband.
(c) Paint her house.
(d) Send her daughter to college.
12. What are the actors doing in lieu of having real props?
(a) Miming their actions.
(b) Making their props as they go.
(c) Using whatever is laying about.
(d) Talking about what they are doing.
13. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
(a) The stage manager.
(c) Dr. Gibbs.
14. What does Emily do when she sees her father on stage in the second scene?
(a) Teases him.
(b) Embraces him.
(c) Asks him questions.
(d) Yells at him.
15. At the beginning of the play, what exciting news does Mrs. Gibbs have to tell Mrs. Webb when they meet in their yards?
(a) Her son is doing well in school.
(b) She is selling an antique table of hers.
(c) Her husband delivered twins the night before.
(d) She won a prize for her pie recipe at the fair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was so upsetting to Mrs. Gibbs about Simon earlier in the day when she is talking to Mrs. Webb?
2. What does Mrs. Webb do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
3. What does Emily assure her father she does not have on her mind before he goes to bed?
4. Why does Mrs. Webb panic when she sees George?
5. What does Mrs. Gibbs invite her husband to do after his gentle rebuke to her in the yard?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)