|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the introduction to the play?
(a) The narrator.
(b) An assembly of cast members.
(c) The stage manager.
(d) The director.
2. What does Emily say is keeping her from sleeping when her father comes home from work?
(a) The sound of the distant trains.
(b) The light from the moon and the smell of Mrs. Gibbs flowers.
(c) Concern for a test the next day.
(d) The worry she feels for Simon Stimwell.
3. What does Mr. Gibbs say is something only done in big cities?
(a) Locking doors.
(b) Working too long.
(c) Encouraging a college education.
(d) Spreading gossip.
4. What is Emily doing when she asks her mother her very important question?
(a) Writing a letter.
(b) Hanging laundry.
(c) Sewing a quilt.
(d) Helping her with the beans.
5. What does Mrs. Webb chide Emily for when she first appears on stage?
(a) Studying while she eats.
(b) Teasing her younger siblings.
(c) Staying up too late at night.
(d) Being too slow to get up.
6. Who talks with George after his parents go to bed?
7. What does Mr. Webb notice about the person he sees on the way home from work on the first day?
(a) He looks scared.
(b) He is in a hurry.
(c) He is crying.
(d) He is drunk.
8. What triggers the appearance of the Webb family at the beginning of the book?
(a) A horn honking.
(b) An alarm clock.
(c) The school bell.
(d) The factory whistle.
9. What does Dr. Gibbs say they must do to help Simon Stimson?
(a) Visit him often.
(b) Leave him alone.
(c) Have compassion.
(d) Hold an intervention.
10. What time of day does this play begin?
(d) Just before sunrise.
11. What does Mrs. Webb do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
(a) Kisses her husband.
(b) Tends her garden.
(c) Feeds her chickens.
(d) Makes breakfast.
12. What does Mr. Webb do when he sees his daughter Emily on stage in the second scene?
(a) Yells at her.
(b) Asks her questions.
(c) Embraces her.
(d) Teases her.
13. At the beginning of the play what does Mrs. Webb do when she first comes out of her house?
(a) Strings some beans.
(b) Hangs some laundry.
(c) Feeds her chickens.
(d) Checks her mailbox.
14. What does Mrs. Gibbs chide her husband for when he comes home at the beginning of the play?
(a) Coming home late again.
(b) Not getting enough rest.
(c) Drinking too much.
(d) Not picking up the milk she needed from the store.
15. Which of these does the stage manager NOT mention as having happened in the space between acts?
(a) Mountains eroded.
(b) Wars were waged.
(c) Couples got married.
(d) Children learned to walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Gibbs do when she first enters the stage in the second act?
2. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
3. Where are Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs heading at the beginning of the third scene?
4. What does Mrs. Gibbs worry will happen to George?
5. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)