|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs heading at the beginning of the third scene?
(b) Choir practice.
(c) The market.
(d) The school.
2. When did Mrs. Gibbs first meet her husband?
(a) At the doctor's office.
(b) In a diner.
(c) At their wedding.
(d) At school.
3. What does George plan to do when he leaves his mother's house?
(a) Go to war.
(b) Raise chickens.
(c) Play baseball.
(d) Become a writer.
4. Who gives the introduction to the play?
(a) The narrator.
(b) An assembly of cast members.
(c) The stage manager.
(d) The director.
5. What does Emily ask Mrs. Webb when she sees her mother after talking with Mr. Webb?
(a) If she seems happy.
(b) If she is smart.
(c) If she is well-liked.
(d) If she is pretty.
6. What does Dr. Gibb rebuke Mrs. Gibbs for when she returns at the beginning of the third scene?
(b) Being late.
(c) Eating too much.
(d) Spending too much money.
7. What is so surprising to Rebecca about the mailman?
(a) He is handsome.
(b) He delivered a letter with an extensive address to her friend.
(c) He never fails to deliver the mail.
(d) He loves his job.
8. What does Mr. Webb add to the advice he gives George as they talk in the Webb's kitchen?
(a) He believes very strongly in that piece of advice.
(b) He did the opposite of his advice and has always been happy.
(c) He really doesn't know if his advice will work or not.
(d) He should always do what he feels is best.
9. Who does Mr. Webb see on his way home the night of the first day?
(c) Dr. Gibbs.
(d) The stage manager.
10. What does Mrs. Gibbs invite her husband to do after his gentle rebuke to her in the yard?
(a) Smell her roses.
(b) Go on a walk.
(c) Eat some dinner.
(d) Take a drive.
11. At the beginning of the play, what is Mrs. Gibbs doing just as her husband comes home?
(a) Sewing a quilt.
(b) Getting ready for a party.
(c) Calling her children to breakfast.
(d) Making dinner.
12. Where is Joe killed?
(a) In a strange city of a strange disease.
(b) In a street brawl.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In the war.
13. At the beginning of the play, what does Dr. Gibbs say he has been up all night doing?
(a) Attending to the wounds of two returned war veterans.
(b) Preparing a man for death.
(c) Drinking at the local bar.
(d) Helping a woman give birth to twins.
14. What does the stage manager make special mention of just before he begins a narrative of the town?
(a) The north star.
(b) The sun.
(c) The morning star.
(d) The moon.
15. What does Emily do when she sees her father on stage in the second scene?
(a) Teases him.
(b) Asks him questions.
(c) Yells at him.
(d) Embraces him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Gibbs tease his wife about when he first appears on stage in the second act?
2. What did the stage manager call the first act?
3. What is Joe's occupation?
4. What does Mr. Webb say of the people of the town that could be considered an insult?
5. What does Mrs. Webb chide Emily for when she first appears on stage?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)