* The play begins with an introduction from the Stage Manager, a character who performs several functions throughout the play: narrator, philosopher, stagehand, and occasionally actor.
* He describes the layout of the town, paying particular attention to the homes of the Gibbs and Webb families.
* We see other members of the Gibbs family, including Mrs. Gibbs, who comes into her kitchen to prepare breakfast, and who later dies while out West visiting her daughter, Rebecca.
* As Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb bustle around their kitchens; Doc Gibbs encounters the paperboy, Joe, and we learn that Dr. Gibbs was out all night delivering twins.
* After encountering Howie Newsome, the town milkman, out on his rounds, Doc Gibbs returns home just as Mrs. Gibbs and Mrs. Webb are calling to their children to get up.
* Mrs. Gibbs gently chides Doc Gibbs for not getting enough rest, and then asks...
This section contains 2,095 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)