|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ourika's condition worsened over the next ___ days.
2. Where was Ourika born?
3. Ourika said she had paid regards to ______ in return.
4. Ourika asked, "Does _____ bring happiness?"
5. Ourika felt that Charles was just learning how to ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the only thing that allowed Ourika to be happy during this trying time?
2. What did Ourika dream about in regards to her future in society? Where did Ourika wish to go?
3. What political issues arose soon after Charles' departure? What were Ourika's thoughts on these issues?
4. How did Mme. de B. attempt to help Ourika? What was Ourika's solution to her troubles at this time?
5. How did Charles' happiness affect Ourika in a negative way? What was her reaction?
6. What are some or Ourika's earliest childhood memories?
7. How did Ourika perform a disservice even though she was rescued twice?
8. In addition to the concern about Ourika's health, Mme. de B. had another concern. What was it? What was the solution?
9. How did Ourika feel about Charles' increased absences? What caused the delay of Charles and Anais' marriage?
10. Charles received a suggestion from one of Mme. de B.'s friends. What was the suggestion? What was Charles' reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story or essay on what might have happened if the French Revolution had never occurred. What might have happened to the structure of France? How would it have affected the characters? Did the Revolution have any effect on the Black Code and the issues of slavery in France? Explain. Also, explain how the Revolution affected the structure of the aristocracy, including Mme. de B.'s connections to them and how that may have changed as well.
Essay Topic 2
Ourika referred to Senegal as a land of savagery. Although Ourika had negative impressions of the country, why did she wish to return? Explain what happened to Ourika in Senegal. Explain what happened to Ourika's mother. What might have happened if Ourika had stayed? Also, discuss Senegal then and now.
Essay Topic 3
During the height of the success experienced by Claire de Duras, there were many people that became jealous of de Curas' "overnight success." As such, they became determined to make a profit from Claire's anonymous status. The people included in this deception were Stedhal and Latouche. Discuss this situation and the legalities involved. What laws might have prevented the men from stealing de Duras' fame and reputation? How have copyright laws changed since that time? What are the copyright laws today? How would de Duras be protected under current law?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)