|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man took Ourika to live with which relative?
2. When did Mme de B. receive news about her property?
3. It is said that at this time Ourika ____ life.
4. The family went to stay at the home of an old priest, which was located in which town?
5. Ourika compared her time with Mme to _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it said that Ourika was rescued twice from slavery? What happened to Ourika in regards to this issue?
2. How was Ourika affected by this new state of melancholy? What was Mme. de B.'s reaction to the change in Ourika?
3. How did Ourika perform a disservice even though she was rescued twice?
4. Ourika decided that she must resign herself to her fate. What was the next step taken by Ourika?
5. In addition to the concern about Ourika's health, Mme. de B. had another concern. What was it? What was the solution?
6. How did Mme. de B. influence Ourika's imagination and social development?
7. How did Charles' happiness affect Ourika in a negative way? What was her reaction?
8. How did Ourika feel about Charles' increased absences? What caused the delay of Charles and Anais' marriage?
9. What were Ourika's thoughts about her future? How did those thoughts affect Mme. de B.? What were Ourika's thoughts about Charles when contemplating this new future?
10. When did the Reign of Terror end? How did the situation change when the Reign of Terror ended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a complete character description of Mme. de B. Explain her roles in society both as a matriarch and as the patron of Ourika.
Essay Topic 2
What might Ourika be like in today's society? Would she suffer from the same debilitating melancholia? Do you think she would have been put on medication? Do you think Ourika would have taken vows to become a nun? How would the relationships between Ourika, Mme. de B. and Charles be different? What might Ourika undertake as a profession? Explain your choices and thoughts in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the French Revolution. Use historical references and cite sources. Explain the purpose of the conflict, how it began, important events and how it affected the history of France. Include major participants in the Revolution, including Robespierre and Louis XIV. Explain how the Revolution ended and the state of France shortly thereafter. Describe how the majority of France reflects on the Revolution.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)