|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term does Fowles use to describe Ourika's ethnic situation?
2. Ourika suffered from which mental illness?
3. What type of facility did the doctor visit?
4. Who narrates the modern representation of the book?
5. How many novels did Claire pen during her short tenure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Mr. Norman's bookstore was the most exciting to Fowles?
2. Discuss the first publication of Ourika. What was unusual about the publication?
3. Who is Joan DeJean? What is her position at the University of Pennsylvania?
4. Who is Ourika? What was Ourika's history?
5. How does Ourika differ from the protagonists of other Romantic works?
6. What was the next step for Claire de Duras? What major accomplishment did she make during this time?
7. What was unusual about the bookstore in Hampstead? Who was its owner?
8. How was Fowles inspired by Ourika? What came from that inspiration?
9. What happened to Ourika when she left Senegal? Who took care of her?
10. What about Ourika's presence surprises the doctor? What is Ourika's reasoning for her illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claire de Duras was an unusual woman for her time. Write a complete character description of Claire de Duras from her youth, time abroad, and accomplishments as a writer. Include Claire de Duras' inspiration and interest in Ourika. Also, explain her prolific lifestyle in exile as well as the reason for the exile.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the Reign of Terror. Use historical references and cite sources. Explain the purpose of the conflict, how it began, important events and how it related to the French Revolution as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story or essay on Ourika's life if she had married Charles. Do you think it was ever a possibility? Explain. Do you think that it could have been a scandal? What might Mme. de B. have thought about such a situation? How might Ourika's life have changed if she had not become melancholy? What might her life have been like in 5-10 years?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)