|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two men capitalized on the premise of Claire's ____ novel.
2. What is the name of a person that loves books?
3. What was the title of Claire-Louise's father?
4. What is the name of Mme de B's grandson?
5. Who was one of the two people that developed the term?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ourika? What was Ourika's history?
2. What is the basic premise of Claire de Duras' "Ourika?"
3. What is one of the main reasons that Ourika's view of herself was so limited?
4. What major events took place while Claire was living in England? How and when did Claire meet her husband? What was his background?
5. What were Fowles' thoughts on writing a historical novel? What caused him to change his mind?
6. What was the next step for Claire de Duras? What major accomplishment did she make during this time?
7. Who was sent to visit Ourika in a convent outside Paris? What was the doctor's background?
8. What was the Black Code? How did it affect slavery in France?
9. What happened to Ourika when she left Senegal? Who took care of her?
10. Who was Claire de Duras? What was her background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Fowles fell in love with Mr. Norman's bookstore in Hampstead. At that bookstore, Fowles became enchanted by books, including "Ourika." Describe Fowles' fascination with the bookstore. What caused him to pick up the copy of Ourika many years after it was re-released? What about Ourika touched Fowles so deeply? What did Fowles say about the book? What did Fowles say about Ourika as a character? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a complete character description of Mme. de B. Explain her roles in society both as a matriarch and as the patron of Ourika.
Essay Topic 3
During the height of the success experienced by Claire de Duras, there were many people that became jealous of de Curas' "overnight success." As such, they became determined to make a profit from Claire's anonymous status. The people included in this deception were Stedhal and Latouche. Discuss this situation and the legalities involved. What laws might have prevented the men from stealing de Duras' fame and reputation? How have copyright laws changed since that time? What are the copyright laws today? How would de Duras be protected under current law?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)