|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claire-Louise's surname?
2. What word is used to describe the woman's eyes?
3. What is the name of a person that loves books?
4. Ourika was forced to derive her value from her _____.
5. How many novels did Claire pen during her short tenure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the next step for Claire de Duras? What major accomplishment did she make during this time?
2. What happened to Ourika when she left Senegal? Who took care of her?
3. What type of struggle did Claire have when deciding to publish her work for the first time?
4. What was unusual about the bookstore in Hampstead? Who was its owner?
5. Who was Claire de Duras? What was her background?
6. Who is Ourika? What was Ourika's history?
7. What is Ourika's final "decision" when it comes to understanding and accepting her heritage as a black woman?
8. What is one of the main reasons that Ourika's view of herself was so limited?
9. What does Fowles say about Claire de Duras' work as a white novelist writing about a black woman in France?
10. Discuss the first publication of Ourika. What was unusual about the publication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ourika's mother died when the girl was very small. She was taken from Senegal by Chevalier de B., a Frenchman, and returned to France to be raised by Mme. de B. Discuss the rescue from Senegal, Ourika's situation and relationship to Chevalier de B. Discuss why the Chevalier took Ourika and his intentions. Also discuss any future involvement with the chevalier.
Essay Topic 2
Ourika and Mme. de B. had an unusual relationship. Explain in detail the relationship between the lady and the young black girl. Describe Mme. de B.'s purpose and incentive in raising Ourika as a surrogate granddaughter.
Essay Topic 3
The doctor talked about her visit to Faubourg Saint Jacques to visit Ourika. What were the doctor's thoughts upon arriving at the convent? What observations did the doctor make? What did the doctor think about the effects of the Revolution upon the convent? What were the doctor's initial thoughts about Ourika? Did the doctor think she could help Ourika? What was the initial purpose of the visit?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)