|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claire-Louise's surname?
2. Where was Claire's mother's homeland?
(c) Puerto Rico.
3. Where did Fowles go to college?
4. The neighborhood was part of which major city?
(a) New York.
5. The doctor noted that all but a few ____ arches remained at the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fowles' state of mind when he left college?
2. The man would eventually attain the rank of the Duke of _____.
3. Claire retreated to which location?
4. Ourika portrays _____ violence.
5. Ourika was forced to derive her value from her _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was sent to visit Ourika in a convent outside Paris? What was the doctor's background?
2. Discuss the first publication of Ourika. What was unusual about the publication?
3. Who is Ourika? What was Ourika's history?
4. What is one of the main reasons that Ourika's view of herself was so limited?
5. What was unusual about the bookstore in Hampstead? Who was its owner?
6. What happens after the doctor's first visit?
7. Describe the scene the doctor sees when he arrives at the convent. What has caused the state of the convent's disrepair?
8. What were Fowles' thoughts on writing a historical novel? What caused him to change his mind?
9. What about Ourika's presence surprises the doctor? What is Ourika's reasoning for her illness?
10. What does John Fowles say about the way he learned to love literature?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)