|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country is Ourika's "land of exile?"
(c) United States.
2. What was Claire's title at this time?
3. Fowles' "affair" with Ourika began ____ years after visiting the book store.
4. How long did it take Claire to write the novels?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 1 year.
5. Which term does Fowles use to describe Ourika's ethnic situation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of a person that loves books?
2. Who was one of the two people that developed the term?
3. What word is used to describe the woman's eyes?
4. Where was Claire's mother's homeland?
5. The doctor had previously been prejudiced against which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John Fowles say about the way he learned to love literature?
2. What about Ourika's presence surprises the doctor? What is Ourika's reasoning for her illness?
3. What does Duras' depiction of Ourika tend to continue to be important regarding race and feminism?
4. What was the Black Code? How did it affect slavery in France?
5. What is Ourika's final "decision" when it comes to understanding and accepting her heritage as a black woman?
6. Who is Ourika? What was Ourika's history?
7. How did Fowles discover Ourika? What was his initial opinion of the book?
8. What is the general opinion of Fowles regarding modern bookstores?
9. What happens after the doctor's first visit?
10. What illegal act took place as a result of the success of Claire's books?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)