|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country is Ourika's "land of exile?"
(a) United States.
2. What famous poet is quoted at the beginning of the introduction?
3. Ourika suffered from which mental illness?
(d) Bipolar disorder.
4. Two men capitalized on the premise of Claire's ____ novel.
5. In which year did the couple do to France?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Ourika when she was sent into exile?
2. What was the title of Claire-Louise's father?
3. The doctor had previously been prejudiced against which of the following?
4. The doctor noted that the tombstones were being used as ____.
5. Fowles referred to Ourika as a(n) _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene the doctor sees when he arrives at the convent. What has caused the state of the convent's disrepair?
2. What were Fowles' thoughts on writing a historical novel? What caused him to change his mind?
3. What does John Fowles say about the way he learned to love literature?
4. How was Fowles inspired by Ourika? What came from that inspiration?
5. What was unusual about the bookstore in Hampstead? Who was its owner?
6. What major events took place while Claire was living in England? How and when did Claire meet her husband? What was his background?
7. How did Fowles discover Ourika? What was his initial opinion of the book?
8. What is the general opinion of Fowles regarding modern bookstores?
9. What is one of the main reasons that Ourika's view of herself was so limited?
10. Who was sent to visit Ourika in a convent outside Paris? What was the doctor's background?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)