|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The doctor traveled to which city?
(c) Washington, D.C.
2. Who wrote "Delphine?"
(d) De Stael.
3. The doctor determined that Ourika had suffered from prolonged and acute ____.
4. The order to which the doctor belonged devoted itself to teaching the _____.
5. In what year did Claire-Louise die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Claire's father refused to support the execution of which political official?
2. What type of facility did the doctor visit?
3. Fowles refers to shopping in old fashioned book stores as a ______.
4. What was the name of Fowles' mentor.
5. What is the surname of Claire's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general opinion of Fowles regarding modern bookstores?
2. What about Ourika's presence surprises the doctor? What is Ourika's reasoning for her illness?
3. What does Fowles say about Claire de Duras' work as a white novelist writing about a black woman in France?
4. What is Ourika's final "decision" when it comes to understanding and accepting her heritage as a black woman?
5. What occurred after Claire published "Ourika" and her second book, "Edouard?"
6. Who was sent to visit Ourika in a convent outside Paris? What was the doctor's background?
7. What is one of the main reasons that Ourika's view of herself was so limited?
8. How does Ourika differ from the protagonists of other Romantic works?
9. What happened to Ourika when she left Senegal? Who took care of her?
10. How was Fowles inspired by Ourika? What came from that inspiration?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)