|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is said that doubt often excludes ____.
2. Fowles originally expected to be ____ in/by the work.
(a) Engaged.Le sMisearable
3. Ourika suffered from which mental illness?
(a) Bipolar disorder.
4. Ourika portrays _____ violence.
5. Fowles' lead character was unfairly _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which location did the doctor finish his medical studies?
2. Which country is Ourika's "land of exile?"
3. Which city was the family's final destination?
4. What is the name of the order of the convent?
5. What offers the most consolation for Ourika?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Claire de Duras? What was her background?
2. What major events took place while Claire was living in England? How and when did Claire meet her husband? What was his background?
3. What was the next step for Claire de Duras? What major accomplishment did she make during this time?
4. What does Ourika claim is her problem? What does the doctor notice about Ourika's condition? What is the doctor's advice?
5. What happened to Ourika when she left Senegal? Who took care of her?
6. What was the Black Code? How did it affect slavery in France?
7. What does John Fowles say about the way he learned to love literature?
8. What type of struggle did Claire have when deciding to publish her work for the first time?
9. What happens after the doctor's first visit?
10. What is the basic premise of Claire de Duras' "Ourika?"
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)