|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Wrayburn's companion see that later will appear in his dreams in Book 3, Chapter 10?
2. What happens when Headstone gets angry in Book 4, Chapter 1?
3. What does Bradley think the priest is for in Book 4, Chapter 11?
4. Who visits Jenny at her store in Book 4, Chapter 7?
5. What is Jenny offered by her visitor at the store in Book 4, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Noddy Boffin annoyed with Rokesmith in Book 3, Chapter 15?
2. Describe Riah's interaction with Fledgeby and Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 1.
3. Describe Lizzie's interaction with Eugene in Book 4, Chapter 6.
4. Describe Mr. Twemlow's interactions with Mrs. Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 17.
5. Describe Betty Higden's interactions after she leaves the Boffins.
6. Describe Bradley's interactions at Wrayburn's house in Book 3, Chapter 11.
7. What happens when Jenny comes to see Riah in Book 3, Chapter 12?
8. What is the scheme that the Lammles come up with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
9. Describe how Boffin is warned about Wegg's behavior in Book 4, Chapter 3 of Book 4.
10. Describe how Wegg torments Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is another important theme of Our Mutual Friend. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions and social status. Who is greedy in Our Mutual Friend? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Our Mutual Friend? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Our Mutual Friend. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)