|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alfred Lammle scheme with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
2. In Book 3, Chapter 1, who goes to visit Fledgeby with a payment?
3. Who has been helping out at the Bower along with Silas in Book 3, Chapter 14?
4. Who is devastated to hear of the unfortunate circumstances of friends in Book 4, Chapter 2?
5. Who tries to convince Riah to give the debtor who owes him money a break in Book 3, Chapter 13 but to no avail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Riah show that Rogue is a villain in Book 3, Chapter 2?
2. How does Bella show that you can be poor yet happy in her marriage choice in Book 4, Chapter 4?
3. Describe Rokesmith's interest in Lizze in Book 3, Chapter 9.
4. What does Bella talk to her father about at his wedding anniversary in Book 3, Chapter 4?
5. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
6. Describe Riah's interaction with Fledgeby and Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 1.
7. What happens to Rogue in Book 3, Chapters 2 and 3?
8. Describe how Boffin is warned about Wegg's behavior in Book 4, Chapter 3 of Book 4.
9. Describe Bradley's interactions at Wrayburn's house in Book 3, Chapter 11.
10. What does Lizzie tell Bella in Book 3, Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Our Mutual Friend. Dickens frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Dickens describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Greed is another important theme of Our Mutual Friend. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions and social status. Who is greedy in Our Mutual Friend? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)