|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boffin like to talk about in Book 3, Chapter 14?
2. Who comes to Eugene's wedding in Book 4, Chapter 10?
3. Who does Lizzie tell Bella that she wants to talk to?
4. Whom does Noddy refuse to listen to in Book 4, Chapter 14?
5. Who has been helping out at the Bower along with Silas in Book 3, Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
Reading and writing play an important role in Our Mutual Friend. Who is illiterate? Who is literate? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does literacy in Our Mutual Friend signify wealth, status or other power? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is another important theme of Our Mutual Friend. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions and social status. Who is greedy in Our Mutual Friend? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Boffin and John Rokesmith are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Boffin had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Rokesmith had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)