|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Noddy refuse to listen to in Book 4, Chapter 14?
2. Who comes to visit Riah in Book 3, Chapter 13?
3. Who visits Jenny Wren's store and tries to buy a doll in Book 3, Chapter 10?
4. Who says that he has been a slave for too long in Book 4, Chapter 3?
5. Who does Eugene see walking along the river in Book 4, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bella perturbed about Mr. Boffin in Book 3, Chapter 5?
2. How has Bella's relationship with John changed her views of money and life in Book 4, Chapter 5?
3. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
4. How does Riah show that Rogue is a villain in Book 3, Chapter 2?
5. Describe how Boffin is warned about Wegg's behavior in Book 4, Chapter 3 of Book 4.
6. Describe Eugene Wrayburn's visit to Jenny Wren's store in Book 3, Chapter 10.
7. Describe Riah's interaction with Fledgeby and Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 1.
8. Describe Betty Higden's interactions after she leaves the Boffins.
9. What does Venus confess to Boffin?
10. Describe Bradley's interactions at Wrayburn's house in Book 3, Chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Our Mutual Friend. Dickens frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Dickens describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Silas Wegg. What is his role in Our Mutual Friend? What was Dickens trying to accomplish by creating Silas' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Money has particular significance in the Our Mutual Friend. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Dickens ultimately say about money through Bella and what is the importance of this discovery and the character's role? Explain.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)