|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Venus leaves, who comes to see Boffin in Book 3, Chapter 14?
2. What assumption is made about Rokesmith concerning his affection for Bella in Book 3, Chapter 15?
3. What does Riah give Abigail Potterson?
4. When Boffin hides, who does he see plotting with Venus in Book 3, Chapter 14?
5. What does Boffin like to talk about in Book 3, Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wegg fail in his plan of humiliating Noddy Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 14?
2. What does Venus confess to Boffin?
3. What happens to Rogue in Book 3, Chapters 2 and 3?
4. Describe Mr. Twemlow's interactions with Mrs. Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 17.
5. Describe Lizzie's interaction with Eugene in Book 4, Chapter 6.
6. Describe Riah's interaction with Fledgeby and Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 1.
7. What is the scheme that the Lammles come up with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
8. What does Lizzie tell Bella in Book 3, Chapter 9?
9. What is Bella perturbed about Mr. Boffin in Book 3, Chapter 5?
10. Describe Eugene Wrayburn's visit to Jenny Wren's store in Book 3, Chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Our Mutual Friend? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Money has particular significance in the Our Mutual Friend. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Dickens ultimately say about money through Bella and what is the importance of this discovery and the character's role? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Our Mutual Friend. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Who does she like and who does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common and where are they different? Discuss.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)