|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Eugene is attacked in Book 4, Chapter 6?
2. What does Charley say would be unforgivable on the part of Headstone in Book 4, Chapter 7?
3. What does Mrs. Lammle say is only a screen for Fledgeby in Book 3, Chapter 17?
4. What does Charley Hexam tell Headstone about Wrayburn in Book 4, Chapter 7?
5. Who has been helping out at the Bower along with Silas in Book 3, Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Venus confess to Boffin?
2. What happens to Rogue in Book 3, Chapters 2 and 3?
3. Describe how Boffin is warned about Wegg's behavior in Book 4, Chapter 3 of Book 4.
4. How does Bella show that you can be poor yet happy in her marriage choice in Book 4, Chapter 4?
5. Describe Riah's interaction with Fledgeby and Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 1.
6. Describe Mr. Twemlow's interactions with Mrs. Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 17.
7. What is the scheme that the Lammles come up with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
8. What does Bella talk to her father about at his wedding anniversary in Book 3, Chapter 4?
9. How has Bella's relationship with John changed her views of money and life in Book 4, Chapter 5?
10. What is Bella perturbed about Mr. Boffin in Book 3, Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of these four young female characters in the book, Lizzie, Georgiana, Bella and Jenny.
Essay Topic 3
Our Mutual Friend is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)