|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Wrayburn's companion see that later will appear in his dreams in Book 3, Chapter 10?
2. Who has been helping out at the Bower along with Silas in Book 3, Chapter 14?
3. Who did Riah lend money that comes to his doorstep in Book 3, Chapter 13?
4. Who is John Rokesmith curious to meet at the traveler's funeral in Book 3, Chapter 9?
5. Who visits Jenny Wren's store and tries to buy a doll in Book 3, Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Venus confess to Boffin?
2. Describe how Wegg torments Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 3.
3. Why is Noddy Boffin annoyed with Rokesmith in Book 3, Chapter 15?
4. Describe Mr. Twemlow's interactions with Mrs. Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 17.
5. How does Wegg fail in his plan of humiliating Noddy Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 14?
6. How are Riderhood and Bradley punished for their own crimes in Book 4, Chapter 15?
7. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
8. What does Bella talk to her father about at his wedding anniversary in Book 3, Chapter 4?
9. What is the scheme that the Lammles come up with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
10. Describe Riah's interaction with Fledgeby and Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Our Mutual Friend? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of these four young female characters in the book, Lizzie, Georgiana, Bella and Jenny.
Essay Topic 3
Money has particular significance in the Our Mutual Friend. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Dickens ultimately say about money through Bella and what is the importance of this discovery and the character's role? Explain.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)