|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who struggle and fall into the river and drown in Book 4, Chapter 15?
2. What does Silas want to get back from Venus in Book 4, Chapter 14?
3. Who glares at Rokesmith at breakfast in Book 3, Chapter 15?
4. What is Headstone's disguise in Book 4, Chapter 1?
5. What does Bella realize about money in Book 4, Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Riah show that Rogue is a villain in Book 3, Chapter 2?
2. What does Bella talk to her father about at his wedding anniversary in Book 3, Chapter 4?
3. What happens when Bradley goes in search of Eugene in Book 4, Chapter 1?
4. What happens when Jenny comes to see Riah in Book 3, Chapter 12?
5. How has Bella's relationship with John changed her views of money and life in Book 4, Chapter 5?
6. Describe Betty Higden's interactions after she leaves the Boffins.
7. Describe Lizzie's interaction with Eugene in Book 4, Chapter 6.
8. What does Lizzie tell Bella in Book 3, Chapter 9?
9. What is the scheme that the Lammles come up with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
10. What happens when Bella visits her father at his office in Book 3, Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dickens is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Our Mutual Friend? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Our Mutual Friend. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)