|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rogue tell Headstone about Wrayburn in Book 4, Chapter 7?
2. When Mr. and Mrs. Lammle's property is about to be auctioned off, who does Mrs. Lammle go to visit in Book 3, Chapter 17?
3. Who does Potterson try to revive in Book 3, Chapter 3?
4. What is Mrs. Wilfer upset about in Book 4, Chapter 5?
5. What does Bella ask her father to pretend in Book 4, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Bella's relationship with John changed her views of money and life in Book 4, Chapter 5?
2. How does Jenny help Fledgeby in Book 4, Chapter 8?
3. When Eugene is dying, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 4, Chapter 9?
4. What is Charley afraid of in Book 4, Chapter 7?
5. What does Venus confess to Boffin?
6. What happens when Bradley goes in search of Eugene in Book 4, Chapter 1?
7. How does Bella show that you can be poor yet happy in her marriage choice in Book 4, Chapter 4?
8. How does Riah show that Rogue is a villain in Book 3, Chapter 2?
9. What is the scheme that the Lammles come up with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
10. What is Bella perturbed about Mr. Boffin in Book 3, Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Silas Wegg. What is his role in Our Mutual Friend? What was Dickens trying to accomplish by creating Silas' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Our Mutual Friend. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Who does she like and who does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common and where are they different? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Our Mutual Friend. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)