|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Potterson try to revive in Book 3, Chapter 3?
2. Where does Headstone return to work in Book 4, Chapter 7?
3. After Venus leaves, who comes to see Boffin in Book 3, Chapter 14?
4. Who tries to convince Riah to give the debtor who owes him money a break in Book 3, Chapter 13 but to no avail?
5. Who is not doing well after the attack in Book 4, Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Eugene Wrayburn. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Silas Wegg. What is his role in Our Mutual Friend? What was Dickens trying to accomplish by creating Silas' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Our Mutual Friend. Dickens frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Dickens describes? Explain.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)