|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What troubles do the Lammles have in Book 3, Chapter 12?
2. What does Wegg and Venus find in Book 3, Chapter 7?
3. Who tells Jenny that he is now free of servitude to Fledgeby in Book 4, Chapter 9?
4. What does Mr. Boffin think about the Boffins' social standing?
5. In whose arms does the traveler die in Book 3, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Riah's interaction with Fledgeby and Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 1.
2. How are Riderhood and Bradley punished for their own crimes in Book 4, Chapter 15?
3. Describe Bradley's interactions at Wrayburn's house in Book 3, Chapter 11.
4. Describe Betty Higden's interactions after she leaves the Boffins.
5. Describe Lizzie's interaction with Eugene in Book 4, Chapter 6.
6. What is Charley afraid of in Book 4, Chapter 7?
7. Describe Mr. Twemlow's interactions with Mrs. Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 17.
8. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
9. What is the scheme that the Lammles come up with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
10. When Eugene is dying, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 4, Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of these four young female characters in the book, Lizzie, Georgiana, Bella and Jenny.
Essay Topic 3
Reading and writing play an important role in Our Mutual Friend. Who is illiterate? Who is literate? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does literacy in Our Mutual Friend signify wealth, status or other power? Discuss.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)