|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Boffin think her husband is becoming in Book 3, Chapter 5?
2. What does Bella realize about money in Book 4, Chapter 16?
3. In Book 3, Chapter 1, who goes to visit Fledgeby with a payment?
4. Who returns to the Boffin mansion in Book 3, Chapter 5?
5. Who apparently has a fondness for Lizzie Hexam in Book 3, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bella visits her father at his office in Book 3, Chapter 16?
2. What is Bella perturbed about Mr. Boffin in Book 3, Chapter 5?
3. Describe Mr. Twemlow's interactions with Mrs. Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 17.
4. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
5. What happens to Rogue in Book 3, Chapters 2 and 3?
6. Describe how Boffin is warned about Wegg's behavior in Book 4, Chapter 3 of Book 4.
7. What happens when Bradley goes in search of Eugene in Book 4, Chapter 1?
8. Describe Riah's interaction with Fledgeby and Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 1.
9. What is the scheme that the Lammles come up with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
10. What does Venus confess to Boffin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money has particular significance in the Our Mutual Friend. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Dickens ultimately say about money through Bella and what is the importance of this discovery and the character's role? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is another important theme of Our Mutual Friend. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions and social status. Who is greedy in Our Mutual Friend? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Our Mutual Friend? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)