|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 3, Chapter 2, who goes for a walk with Jenny Wren?
2. Who in fact has taken away Lizzie Hexam in Book 3, Chapter 1?
3. Who does Potterson try to revive in Book 3, Chapter 3?
4. Who did Riah lend money that comes to his doorstep in Book 3, Chapter 13?
5. What does Mr. Boffin think about the Boffins' social standing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lizzie tell Bella in Book 3, Chapter 9?
2. Describe Betty Higden's interactions after she leaves the Boffins.
3. How are Riderhood and Bradley punished for their own crimes in Book 4, Chapter 15?
4. When Eugene is dying, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 4, Chapter 9?
5. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
6. Describe how Wegg torments Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 3.
7. How does Jenny help Fledgeby in Book 4, Chapter 8?
8. What happens when Bella visits her father at his office in Book 3, Chapter 16?
9. What is Charley afraid of in Book 4, Chapter 7?
10. How does Wegg fail in his plan of humiliating Noddy Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Our Mutual Friend is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the depiction of these four young female characters in the book, Lizzie, Georgiana, Bella and Jenny.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)