|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 14, who does Eugene find dead?
2. What did Rogue apparently receive for betraying Gaffer Hexam?
3. What do the Boffins show their visitor related to John Harmon?
4. What does Mrs. Boffin want her husband's tutor to give up in return for money?
5. . Who settles in with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Lammles' startling discovery about themselves in Book 1, Chapter 10.
2. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
3. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
4. Why is the river important to Jessie Hexam?
5. What does Bella talk to her father about at his wedding anniversary in Book 3, Chapter 4?
6. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
7. Describe how Boffin is warned about Wegg's behavior in Book 4, Chapter 3 of Book 4.
8. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
9. Describe the arrangement Betty makes with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 14.
10. How does Wegg fail in his plan of humiliating Noddy Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Our Mutual Friend. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Boffin and John Rokesmith are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Boffin had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Rokesmith had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 1,462 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)