|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eugene Wrayburn offer Lizzie?
2. What does the visitor who comes to see Eugene say about Jessie Hexam?
3. What happens to Rokesmith at Rogue's residence?
4. What does Bradley Headstone try to convince Lizzie to accept?
5. Who offers to work as a secretary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eugene reveal his interest in Lizzie in Book 1, Chapter 13?
2. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
3. Describe the man who comes to the Riderhood residence in Book 2, Chapter 12.
4. What does Rogue Riderhood accuse Jesse Hexam of and tell Mortimer and Eugene in Book 1, Chapter 12?
5. Describe Charley's conflict in Book 2, Chapter 6.
6. Describe Silas Wegg.
7. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
8. Describe Mrs. Veneering.
9. Describe Bradley Headstone.
10. What is John Rokesmith's new role at the Boffins'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is another important theme of Our Mutual Friend. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions and social status. Who is greedy in Our Mutual Friend? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the depiction of these four young female characters in the book, Lizzie, Georgiana, Bella and Jenny.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)