|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Boffins show their visitor related to John Harmon?
2. Who does Silas Wegg meet when he goes to the house of the man who bothers him?
3. Who does not appear to approve of Bradley Headstone at the school?
4. Whose boat does Eugene see empty lying near the Hexam home?
5. Who do the Boffins decide to take under their care?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
2. Describe the social situation at the Veneering party in Book 1, Chapter 2.
3. Describe the man who comes to the Riderhood residence in Book 2, Chapter 12.
4. Why is Charley annoyed with his sister in Book 2, Chapter 15?
5. Describe the Podsnaps.
6. Describe Bradley's interaction with Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 15.
7. How does Silas appear deceptive in Book 2, Chapter 7?
8. How does Eugene reveal his interest in Lizzie in Book 1, Chapter 13?
9. Describe Mrs. Veneering.
10. Describe the Lammles' startling discovery about themselves in Book 1, Chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character that Bella grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Our Mutual Friend. Dickens frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Dickens describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Boffin and John Rokesmith are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Boffin had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Rokesmith had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)