|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is paying for Lizzie's education?
2. Who does Rokesmith refuse to communicate with in Book 1, Chapter 16?
3. Who is Charley worried about in Book 2, Chapter 1?
4. Who has been masquerading as John Rokesmith?
5. In Book 1, Chapter 10, where are wedding preparations underway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Peecher.
2. What does Lightwood discover when he goes to find the sender of the note in Book 1, Chapter 3?
3. Describe Mr. Venus.
4. Describe Abby Potterson.
5. How does Silas appear deceptive in Book 2, Chapter 7?
6. What does Rogue Riderhood accuse Jesse Hexam of and tell Mortimer and Eugene in Book 1, Chapter 12?
7. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
8. Describe the inhabitants of the Boffin household by Book 1, Chapter 17.
9. Describe the Lammles' startling discovery about themselves in Book 1, Chapter 10.
10. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Our Mutual Friend is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is another important theme of Our Mutual Friend. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions and social status. Who is greedy in Our Mutual Friend? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Reading and writing play an important role in Our Mutual Friend. Who is illiterate? Who is literate? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does literacy in Our Mutual Friend signify wealth, status or other power? Discuss.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)