|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Boffin want her husband's tutor to give up in return for money?
2. In Book 1, Chapter 10, where are wedding preparations underway?
3. Who is the customer that Abby berates?
4. Who does Abby talk to about leaving the family business?
5. Who does Rokesmith work with on a ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the arrangement Betty makes with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 14.
2. Describe Bradley's interaction with Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 15.
3. How does Eugene reveal his interest in Lizzie in Book 1, Chapter 13?
4. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
5. Describe Lightwood's conversation with Mr. Boffin in Book 1, Chapter 8.
6. What is Mrs. Lammle's scheme to trick Georgiana in Book 2, Chapter 4?
7. Describe the Gaffer.
8. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
9. Describe Mrs. Veneering.
10. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Our Mutual Friend. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Boffin and John Rokesmith are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Boffin had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Rokesmith had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Our Mutual Friend. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Our Mutual Friend?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)