|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 14, who does Eugene find dead?
2. What did Rogue apparently receive for betraying Gaffer Hexam?
3. What do the Boffins show their visitor related to John Harmon?
4. What does Mrs. Boffin want her husband's tutor to give up in return for money?
5. . Who settles in with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Lammles' startling discovery about themselves in Book 1, Chapter 10.
2. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
3. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
4. Why is the river important to Jessie Hexam?
5. What does Bella talk to her father about at his wedding anniversary in Book 3, Chapter 4?
6. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
7. Describe how Boffin is warned about Wegg's behavior in Book 4, Chapter 3 of Book 4.
8. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
9. Describe the arrangement Betty makes with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 14.
10. How does Wegg fail in his plan of humiliating Noddy Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
Dickens is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Our Mutual Friend is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,462 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)