|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jessie traveling with on the Thames River?
2. What does Bella insist that she must marry for?
3. What is Rogue's relationship with the person he goes to live with in Book 2, Chapter 12?
4. Who does Silas Wegg meet when he goes to the house of the man who bothers him?
5. What does Bradley Headstone try to convince Lizzie to accept?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lizzie Hexam.
2. Describe Bradley's interaction with Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 15.
3. Describe the social situation at the Veneering party in Book 1, Chapter 2.
4. Describe Abby Potterson.
5. Describe the inhabitants of the Boffin household by Book 1, Chapter 17.
6. Describe Rokesmith's relationship with Mrs. Boffin.
7. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
8. How does Silas appear deceptive in Book 2, Chapter 7?
9. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
10. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reading and writing play an important role in Our Mutual Friend. Who is illiterate? Who is literate? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does literacy in Our Mutual Friend signify wealth, status or other power? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Our Mutual Friend? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Our Mutual Friend. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Our Mutual Friend?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)