|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jessie pull out of the water?
2. What does Mrs. Veneering want to see in Book 2, Chapter 3?
3. Who convinces Boffin to take him home to have a drink in Book 2, Chapter 7?
4. Who does Silas Wegg meet when he goes to the house of the man who bothers him?
5. What does Bradley Headstone try to convince Lizzie to accept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John Rokesmith's new role at the Boffins'?
2. Describe Lightwood's conversation with Mr. Boffin in Book 1, Chapter 8.
3. What is Mrs. Lammle's scheme to trick Georgiana in Book 2, Chapter 4?
4. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
5. How does Silas appear deceptive in Book 2, Chapter 7?
6. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
7. Describe the social situation at the Veneering party in Book 1, Chapter 2.
8. Describe the inhabitants of the Boffin household by Book 1, Chapter 17.
9. Describe the Podsnaps.
10. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reading and writing play an important role in Our Mutual Friend. Who is illiterate? Who is literate? Who teaches whom and in what way? Does literacy in Our Mutual Friend signify wealth, status or other power? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Dickens is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)