|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jessie traveling with on the Thames River?
2. Whose boat does Eugene see empty lying near the Hexam home?
3. Who does Charley think would make a better teacher for Lizzie?
4. Who does Noddy Boffin see when he gets home in Book 1, Chapter 9?
5. Who is Charley worried about in Book 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the river important to Jessie Hexam?
2. What is Mrs. Lammle's scheme to trick Georgiana in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. What is Bella's new life at the Boffins like?
4. Describe Charley's conflict in Book 2, Chapter 6.
5. What is John Rokesmith's new role at the Boffins'?
6. Describe the Gaffer.
7. Describe Mr. Venus.
8. Describe Abby Potterson.
9. Describe the man who comes to the Riderhood residence in Book 2, Chapter 12.
10. How does Eugene reveal his interest in Lizzie in Book 1, Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Our Mutual Friend. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Our Mutual Friend?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Our Mutual Friend. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)