|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Noddy Boffin see when he gets home in Book 1, Chapter 9?
2. Who is Rokesmith supposed to marry?
3. Who goes to talk to Fledgeby in Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. Who is Alfred Lammle going to marry in Book 1, Chapter 10?
5. Who does Mr. Boffin offer the position of secretary to in Book 1, Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Gaffer.
2. Describe Mrs. Veneering.
3. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
5. Describe Bradley Headstone.
6. Describe Bradley's interaction with Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 15.
7. Describe the Podsnaps.
8. Describe Lizzie Hexam.
9. What is Bella's new life at the Boffins like?
10. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Our Mutual Friend. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Our Mutual Friend? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that Bella grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)