|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bella take out in Book 2, Chapter 8 and talk about her marriage goals?
2. Who has been masquerading as John Rokesmith?
3. Who does Mrs. Lammle try to get closer to in Book 2, Chapter 4?
4. What do the Boffins show their visitor related to John Harmon?
5. Who does Charley think would make a better teacher for Lizzie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rokesmith's relationship with Mrs. Boffin.
2. Describe Abby Potterson.
3. Describe the Gaffer.
4. Describe the man who comes to the Riderhood residence in Book 2, Chapter 12.
5. Describe the arrangement Betty makes with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 14.
6. Describe Mr. Venus.
7. What is Mrs. Lammle's scheme to trick Georgiana in Book 2, Chapter 4?
8. What does Lightwood discover when he goes to find the sender of the note in Book 1, Chapter 3?
9. Describe Bradley Headstone.
10. Why is Charley annoyed with his sister in Book 2, Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Boffin and John Rokesmith are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Boffin had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Rokesmith had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Our Mutual Friend. Dickens frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Dickens describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Eugene Wrayburn. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)