Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 14, who does Eugene find dead?
2. What did Rogue apparently receive for betraying Gaffer Hexam?
3. What do the Boffins show their visitor related to John Harmon?
4. What does Mrs. Boffin want her husband's tutor to give up in return for money?
5. . Who settles in with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Lammles' startling discovery about themselves in Book 1, Chapter 10.
2. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
3. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
4. Why is the river important to Jessie Hexam?
5. What does Bella talk to her father about at his wedding anniversary in Book 3, Chapter 4?
6. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
7. Describe how Boffin is warned about Wegg's behavior in Book 4, Chapter 3 of Book 4.
8. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
9. Describe the arrangement Betty makes with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 14.
10. How does Wegg fail in his plan of humiliating Noddy Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Eugene Wrayburn. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 1,462 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)