|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the inspector investigating a report of missing lime?
2. Who has been masquerading as John Rokesmith?
3. Who is the rich man in Book 1, Chapter 11 who has a daughter called Georgiana and is full of himself?
4. Who does Abby talk to about leaving the family business?
5. What is Jessie Hexam also known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Gaffer.
2. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
3. Describe Mrs. Veneering.
4. Describe the man who comes to the Riderhood residence in Book 2, Chapter 12.
5. What does Rogue Riderhood accuse Jesse Hexam of and tell Mortimer and Eugene in Book 1, Chapter 12?
6. Describe Mr. Sloppy.
7. Describe Miss Peecher.
8. What is Bella's new life at the Boffins like?
9. Describe Rokesmith's relationship with Mrs. Boffin.
10. What is John Rokesmith's new role at the Boffins'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Our Mutual Friend. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Who does she like and who does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common and where are they different? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Our Mutual Friend. Dickens frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Dickens describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that Bella grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)