|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Mortimer Lightwood and Eugene Wrayburn sitting when they discuss their office space?
2. What is Abby's rule about drinking?
3. Who is Charley worried about in Book 2, Chapter 1?
4. Whom are Eugene and Mortimer worried about the rumors around Jessie will affect?
5. What do the Boffins show their visitor related to John Harmon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
2. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
3. Describe Mr. Sloppy.
4. Describe the Lammles' startling discovery about themselves in Book 1, Chapter 10.
5. Describe Bradley Headstone.
6. Why is Charley annoyed with his sister in Book 2, Chapter 15?
7. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
8. Describe the Gaffer.
9. Describe Charley's conflict in Book 2, Chapter 6.
10. Describe the inhabitants of the Boffin household by Book 1, Chapter 17.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Our Mutual Friend. Dickens frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Dickens describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Dickens is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)