|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not appear to approve of Bradley Headstone at the school?
2. Whom are Eugene and Mortimer worried about the rumors around Jessie will affect?
3. Who does Rokesmith talk to in Book 2, Chapter 14 that is happy about Bella's life?
4. Who is killed mistakenly according to Rokesmith?
5. Who sent the note to the lawyer about the dead body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bradley's interaction with Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 15.
2. What does Lightwood discover when he goes to find the sender of the note in Book 1, Chapter 3?
3. Describe the Podsnaps.
4. Describe Charley's conflict in Book 2, Chapter 6.
5. Why is the river important to Jessie Hexam?
6. Describe Mrs. Veneering.
7. How does Eugene reveal his interest in Lizzie in Book 1, Chapter 13?
8. Describe Mr. Venus.
9. Describe the social situation at the Veneering party in Book 1, Chapter 2.
10. Why is Charley annoyed with his sister in Book 2, Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of good versus evil appears throughout the book. Who in your opinion is good? Who is bad? Why? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Our Mutual Friend. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Our Mutual Friend. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)