|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent the note to the lawyer about the dead body?
2. In Book 1, Chapter 14, who does Eugene find dead?
3. Near what bridge does Jessie and his companion pass?
4. What is the name of the dead man?
5. What is Abby's rule about drinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the arrangement Betty makes with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 14.
2. Describe Bradley Headstone.
3. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
4. Describe Miss Peecher.
5. Describe Charley's conflict in Book 2, Chapter 6.
6. What is Bella's new life at the Boffins like?
7. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
8. Describe Bradley's interaction with Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 15.
9. Describe Lizzie Hexam.
10. How does Eugene reveal his interest in Lizzie in Book 1, Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the depiction of these four young female characters in the book, Lizzie, Georgiana, Bella and Jenny.
Essay Topic 2
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Our Mutual Friend. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Our Mutual Friend. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)