|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Veneering's lawyer?
2. What does Rokesmith do after the death of the little orphan?
3. What does Jenny Wren want in Book 2, Chapter 1?
4. What does the child unfortunately have that Rokesmith discovers in Book 2, Chapter 9?
5. Whose stubbornness lay in the way of Lizzie's advancement?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
2. Describe Rokesmith's relationship with Mrs. Boffin.
3. Describe the Lammles' startling discovery about themselves in Book 1, Chapter 10.
4. Describe Bradley Headstone.
5. Why is the river important to Jessie Hexam?
6. Describe Lightwood's conversation with Mr. Boffin in Book 1, Chapter 8.
7. Describe Lizzie Hexam.
8. Describe Abby Potterson.
9. How does Eugene reveal his interest in Lizzie in Book 1, Chapter 13?
10. Describe the arrangement Betty makes with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Our Mutual Friend. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Our Mutual Friend. Dickens frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Dickens describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the depiction of these four young female characters in the book, Lizzie, Georgiana, Bella and Jenny.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)