|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lawyer talk about?
2. What is Jessie Hexam also known as?
3. Who does Mrs. Lammle try to get closer to in Book 2, Chapter 4?
4. Who does not appear to approve of Bradley Headstone at the school?
5. Who is Jenny Wren?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lizzie Hexam.
2. What is John Rokesmith's new role at the Boffins'?
3. Describe the man who comes to the Riderhood residence in Book 2, Chapter 12.
4. What does Lightwood discover when he goes to find the sender of the note in Book 1, Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
6. Describe Bradley Headstone.
7. Describe Lightwood's conversation with Mr. Boffin in Book 1, Chapter 8.
8. What does Rogue Riderhood accuse Jesse Hexam of and tell Mortimer and Eugene in Book 1, Chapter 12?
9. Describe Charley's conflict in Book 2, Chapter 6.
10. Describe Mr. Sloppy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corruption in society is a prevailing theme of Our Mutual Friend. Dickens frequently refers to this theme, painting a bleak picture of London society. Which characters appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Dickens describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Our Mutual Friend. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that Bella grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)