|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Boffins show their visitor related to John Harmon?
2. What does Jessie pull out of the water?
3. What does Mrs. Boffin want her husband's tutor to give up in return for money?
4. What is Jessie Hexam also known as?
5. Who is George Radfoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jenny help Fledgeby in Book 4, Chapter 8?
2. Describe Mr. Twemlow's interactions with Mrs. Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 17.
3. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
4. What does Lightwood discover when he goes to find the sender of the note in Book 1, Chapter 3?
5. What does Rogue Riderhood accuse Jesse Hexam of and tell Mortimer and Eugene in Book 1, Chapter 12?
6. Describe Rokesmith's relationship with Mrs. Boffin.
7. Describe Mr. Venus.
8. Describe Lizzie's interaction with Eugene in Book 4, Chapter 6.
9. What happens when Bella visits her father at his office in Book 3, Chapter 16?
10. Describe Riah's interaction with Fledgeby and Lammle in Book 3, Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Our Mutual Friend. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Who does she like and who does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common and where are they different? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character that Bella grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Our Mutual Friend. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)