|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Rokesmith at Rogue's residence?
2. . Who settles in with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 8?
3. What does the visitor who comes to see Eugene say about Jessie Hexam?
4. Who does Mr. Boffin offer the position of secretary to in Book 1, Chapter 15?
5. Who is the customer that Abby berates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the inhabitants of the Boffin household by Book 1, Chapter 17.
2. Describe Silas Wegg.
3. What is Mrs. Lammle's scheme to trick Georgiana in Book 2, Chapter 4?
4. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
5. Describe Bradley's interaction with Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 15.
6. Describe Mrs. Veneering.
7. Describe the social situation at the Veneering party in Book 1, Chapter 2.
8. Describe the Gaffer.
9. Describe Mr. Venus.
10. Describe Lizzie Hexam.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for Our Mutual Friend. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Our Mutual Friend?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of these four young female characters in the book, Lizzie, Georgiana, Bella and Jenny.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)