|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bradley Headstone try to convince Lizzie to accept?
2. Who is the boy that the Boffins plan to adopt?
3. Near what bridge does Jessie and his companion pass?
4. Who does John Rokesmith meet with in Book 2, Chapter 9 about the orphan for adoption?
5. What is the name of the Veneering's lawyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
2. Describe the Podsnaps.
3. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
4. Describe Rokesmith's relationship with Mrs. Boffin.
5. Describe Abby Potterson.
6. Why is Charley annoyed with his sister in Book 2, Chapter 15?
7. Describe the Gaffer.
8. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
9. Describe Bradley's interaction with Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 15.
10. Describe Miss Peecher.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Boffin and John Rokesmith are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Boffin had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Rokesmith had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Dickens' use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Our Mutual Friend. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)