|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom are Eugene and Mortimer worried about the rumors around Jessie will affect?
2. In Book 1, Chapter 14, who does Eugene find dead?
3. Who is the teacher in love with Bradley Headstone in Book 2, Chapter 11?
4. Why is Bella resentful towards Rokesmith?
5. Where is the inspector investigating a report of missing lime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
2. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
3. Describe Miss Peecher.
4. What happens when Jenny comes to see Riah in Book 3, Chapter 12?
5. Describe Mr. Venus.
6. Describe Eugene Wrayburn's visit to Jenny Wren's store in Book 3, Chapter 10.
7. Why is Noddy Boffin annoyed with Rokesmith in Book 3, Chapter 15?
8. How does Wegg fail in his plan of humiliating Noddy Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 14?
9. What is the scheme that the Lammles come up with in Book 3, Chapter 12?
10. Describe Rokesmith's interest in Lizze in Book 3, Chapter 9.
Essay Topic 1
Romance takes on an aggressive quality in Our Mutual Friend. Who are the two characters pursuing Lizzie Hexam? Who does she like and who does she avoid and why? What do her suitors have in common and where are they different? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Our Mutual Friend. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Money has particular significance in the Our Mutual Friend. What is the significance of having money in the story? Who chases after money? Who has money? Who loses money? Who gains money? What does Dickens ultimately say about money through Bella and what is the importance of this discovery and the character's role? Explain.
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)