Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 14, who does Eugene find dead?
2. What did Rogue apparently receive for betraying Gaffer Hexam?
3. What do the Boffins show their visitor related to John Harmon?
4. What does Mrs. Boffin want her husband's tutor to give up in return for money?
5. . Who settles in with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Lammles' startling discovery about themselves in Book 1, Chapter 10.
2. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
3. Describe how Harmon became Rokesmith.
4. Why is the river important to Jessie Hexam?
5. What does Bella talk to her father about at his wedding anniversary in Book 3, Chapter 4?
6. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
7. Describe how Boffin is warned about Wegg's behavior in Book 4, Chapter 3 of Book 4.
8. Why does John Rokesmith refuse to see Mortimer?
9. Describe the arrangement Betty makes with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 14.
10. How does Wegg fail in his plan of humiliating Noddy Boffin in Book 4, Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Our Mutual Friend. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Our Mutual Friend? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring theme in Our Mutual Friend. Which characters have secrets and what are they? How are these secrets revealed? Do these secrets result in ominous consequences or not? Do any of them have happy endings? Discuss.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)