|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jenny Wren?
2. Near what bridge does Jessie and his companion pass?
3. Who goes to talk to Fledgeby in Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. Whom does Rokesmith show interest in Book 2, Chapter 8?
5. In Book 2, Chapter 12, who does Rogue go to live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abby Potterson.
2. Describe Mrs. Veneering.
3. Describe the arrangement Betty makes with the Boffins in Book 2, Chapter 14.
4. Describe Bradley's interaction with Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 15.
5. Describe Bella's role in John Harmon's fortune in Book 1, Chapter 4.
6. Why is Charley annoyed with his sister in Book 2, Chapter 15?
7. Describe the inhabitants of the Boffin household by Book 1, Chapter 17.
8. In Chapter 9, what does Boffin and his wife wish to do something for others?
9. Describe Mr. Sloppy.
10. In the office where Mortimer and Eugene are sitting, what is revealed about Lizzie in Book 2, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in Our Mutual Friend. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is another important theme of Our Mutual Friend. Greed in this novel is depicted in relation to money, possessions and social status. Who is greedy in Our Mutual Friend? Who exhibits kindliness and generosity of spirit? Who desires what and how are these desires manifested? Do they change over time? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in Our Mutual Friend. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)