Book One, The Cup and The Lip; Chapter 1, On the Look Out; Chapter 2, The Man From Somewhere; Chapter 3, Another Man; and Chapter 4, The R. Wilfer Family
1. What is Jessie Hexam also known as?
2. Who is Jessie traveling with on the Thames River?
(a) His wife.
(b) His business partner.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His son.
3. What does Jessie pull out of the water?
(a) A buoy.
(c) A toy.
4. Near what bridge does Jessie and his companion pass?
5. What does Jessie say has given his livelihood?
(a) His father.
(b) The bank manager.
(c) The river.
(d) The town.
6. Who are the Veneerings friends with?
(a) Mortimer Lightwood.
(b) Melvin Twemlow.
(c) Lizzie Hexam.
(d) Jessie Hexam.
7. What social event do the Veneerings host at their home?
(a) A movie night.
(b) A luncheon.
(c) A theater performance.
(d) A dinner party.
8. What is the name of the Veneering's lawyer?
(a) Lizzie Hexam.
(b) Mortimer Lightwood.
(c) Jessie Hexam.
(d) Melvin Twemlow.
9. What does the lawyer talk about?
(a) A rich son and his inheritance.
(b) A lawsuit by the poor.
(c) A divorce from his wife.
(d) A court injunction against his son.
This section contains 3,735 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)