* A man, Jessie Hexam or the Gaffer, and his daughter, Lizzie Hexam, are floating in a boat on the Thames River in London, near the London Bridge, in May 1864. They are scouring the river for something.
* Her father reaches into the river and pulls out some money.
* He tells her to switch places with him, and she's afraid to sit near something in the boat.
* Her father chides her for being thankless when the river has given them their livelihood.
* In Chapter 2, Mr. and Mrs. Veneering are a married couple living in a new house in London, and are friends with Melvin Twemlow.
* They are having a dinner party, however it is clear the guests do not really know much about each...
This section contains 5,198 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)