|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beatrice see walking by the office?
2. Throughout the meeting with Segura, Wormold maintains that:
3. When Milly and Beatrice go to the cinema, who comes to visit Wormold?
4. What does Captain Segura suspect Wormold of being involved in:
5. Regarding Wormold's agents, Beatrice advises that:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wormold learn about Hasselbacher from Captain Segura?
2. While playing checkers with Wormold, Captain Segura questions him about his activities. How does Segura explain his position?
3. How does Wormold have the checkers game in the memory of Dr. Hasselbacher?
4. Who sees Wormold and Milly off at the airport?
5. What does Wormold recognize in Carter?
6. How does Wormold obtain the list of names from Captain Segura?
7. Wormold is served a plate without carrots. What does he do?
8. What does the Chief discuss during his dinner with the Permanent Under-Secretary?
9. What does Captain Segura say of Hasselbacher's death?
10. What, does Wormold learn, gives him credibility in Hawthorne's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Wormold's actions from the viewpoint of morality and ethics? Does the fact that he wanted a better life for his daughter affect your answer? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Who was the "they" and "them" that Hasselbacher talked about and the "other side" that Hawthorne referred to? Why did they want Wormold dead? Why did they kill Hasselbacher?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a hero in the novel? If so, who? Would you consider the Chief or Captain Segura heroes? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)