|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chief uses all of the following terms to describe Hasselbacher:
2. Hasselbacher tells Wormold not to go into the dining room because:
3. Why does Beatrice insist they go to the Shanghai Theater?
4. On the day of the European Traders' Association, Wormold is too nervous to:
5. Wormold reports to Beatrice that Segura has:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wormold go to see Hasselbacher after leaving Beatrice?
2. Why does Professor Sanchez call the police on Wormold?
3. Wormold is served a plate without carrots. What does he do?
4. What does Captain Segura say of Hasselbacher's death?
5. Why does Captain Segura discuss with Wormold?
6. Hasselbacher is sitting in the lobby when Wormold arrives. What does he say to Wormold?
7. How does Wormold have the checkers game in the memory of Dr. Hasselbacher?
8. Why does Wormold feel he has to attend the luncheon?
9. Why does Beatrice say she came to the Havana Club?
10. Why does the British Ambassador summon Wormold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion of the novel? Does it seem probable to you? Would you recommend the book to others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Wormold was motivated by greed. He accepted the job from Hawthorne for the money so he could give Milly the things that she wanted. Do you blame Wormold for this? Do you think he should have learned to say no to Milly and others?
Essay Topic 3
There are some humorous scenes in the book, like the giant vacuum cleaner. In some ways, the whole deception of Wormold's is humorous. When you think of your overall impression of the book, does the word humorous come to mind? Why or why not? Explain.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)