|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Wormold, who is responsible for the deaths of Raul, Hasselbacher and the dog?
2. While Wormold is talking to Segura at the bar, what does he think?
3. How does Wormold have Segura classified with the British?
4. What does Segura say about the search and ransacking of Hasselbacher's apartment?
5. Wormold tells Carter that he needs to ring:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Professor Sanchez call the police on Wormold?
2. What information does Wormold learn from Carter?
3. Why does Beatrice say she came to the Havana Club?
4. Hasselbacher is sitting in the lobby when Wormold arrives. What does he say to Wormold?
5. What does Wormold learn about Hasselbacher from Captain Segura?
6. Why does Wormold go to see Hasselbacher after leaving Beatrice?
7. Why is Wormold worried about meeting Hawthorne in Kingston?
8. What does Wormold do when Segura passes out?
9. What does Wormold recognize in Carter?
10. What, does Wormold learn, gives him credibility in Hawthorne's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London is so impressed with Wormold's information that they send him a secretary and radio operator. How does this interfere with Wormold's plans? How does he adapt his work routine? What problems did they have?
Essay Topic 2
Wormold is opposed to Captain Segura from the first time he hears about him because of his friendship with Milly. Throughout most of the book, they appear as adversaries. In the overall context of the novel, was Segura helping Wormold or was he hurting him? Does your answer change when you consider that Segura knew of a the trouble that Wormold was in?
Essay Topic 3
Hawthorne recruits Wormold for intelligence work. Explain how. How did Hawthorne know that Wormold wouldn't refuse? What did Wormold's financial situation have to do with his recruitment?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)