|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When talking to Wormold Captain Segura mentions all but the following:
2. When Wormold is served his plate at the luncheon, he:
3. What did Wormold do with the micro photograph?
4. When Captain Segura arrives, Wormold tells him that:
5. Who does Wormold want to kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wormold go to see Hasselbacher after leaving Beatrice?
2. What does Beatrice remember seeing in Hasselbacher's apartment?
3. What does Segura have that Wormold wants?
4. What does the Chief discuss during his dinner with the Permanent Under-Secretary?
5. Why does the British Ambassador summon Wormold?
6. When Wormold returns to his home, what does he tell Beatrice?
7. What does Wormold do when Segura passes out?
8. What does Wormold learn about Hasselbacher from Captain Segura?
9. What, does Wormold learn, gives him credibility in Hawthorne's eyes?
10. Why does Professor Sanchez call the police on Wormold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wormold more or less stumbles into intelligence work not knowing what was expected of him or that it could be dangerous. At what point does he begin to realize the dangers? What precautions does he take? Does Beatrice have anything to do with it?
Essay Topic 2
There are some humorous scenes in the book, like the giant vacuum cleaner. In some ways, the whole deception of Wormold's is humorous. When you think of your overall impression of the book, does the word humorous come to mind? Why or why not? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hasselbacher was Wormold's best friend and in some ways one of the most tragic figures in the novel. Discuss Hasselbacher's role. Do you think the was really trapped as he claimed? Why was he killed?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)