|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wormold enters the dining room, he:
2. Wormold tells Hasselbacher to go home and that he:
3. As they play the checkers game:
4. Several times Wormold considers:
5. When Wormold and Milly leave, who sees them off at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Wormold worried about meeting Hawthorne in Kingston?
2. When Wormold returns to his home, what does he tell Beatrice?
3. How does Wormold obtain the list of names from Captain Segura?
4. What did they want from Raul?
5. Why does Professor Sanchez call the police on Wormold?
6. While playing checkers with Wormold, Captain Segura questions him about his activities. How does Segura explain his position?
7. Why does the British Ambassador summon Wormold?
8. As they sit down to play, what does Wormold ask Segura to do?
9. What does Wormold do when Segura passes out?
10. What, does Wormold learn, gives him credibility in Hawthorne's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the book have a happy ending? Yes or no? Explain your position. How else could it have ended? Is the ending realistic from your point of view? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why were the British interested in Cuba? What was occurring at the time that was of interest to them? Why would Hawthorne select someone one like Wormold?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Wormold's actions from the viewpoint of morality and ethics? Does the fact that he wanted a better life for his daughter affect your answer? If so, how?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)