|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Wormold is talking to Segura at the bar, what does he think?
2. The police take Wormold to:
3. What does Captain Segura suspect Wormold of being involved in:
4. When Wormold is describing the shooting to Beatrice, he tells her:
5. When Wormold and Beatrice leave Hasselbacher and walk home:
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Wormold's plans?
2. What does Captain Segura say of Hasselbacher's death?
3. Hasselbacher is sitting in the lobby when Wormold arrives. What does he say to Wormold?
4. Why does Captain Segura discuss with Wormold?
5. What does Wormold do when Segura passes out?
6. Why does Wormold feel he has to attend the luncheon?
7. When Wormold returns to his home, what does he tell Beatrice?
8. Why does Wormold go to see Hasselbacher after leaving Beatrice?
9. How does Wormold obtain the list of names from Captain Segura?
10. What does the Chief discuss during his dinner with the Permanent Under-Secretary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wormold is opposed to Captain Segura from the first time he hears about him because of his friendship with Milly. Throughout most of the book, they appear as adversaries. In the overall context of the novel, was Segura helping Wormold or was he hurting him? Does your answer change when you consider that Segura knew of a the trouble that Wormold was in?
Essay Topic 2
There are some humorous scenes in the book, like the giant vacuum cleaner. In some ways, the whole deception of Wormold's is humorous. When you think of your overall impression of the book, does the word humorous come to mind? Why or why not? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Does the book have a happy ending? Yes or no? Explain your position. How else could it have ended? Is the ending realistic from your point of view? Why or why not?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)