|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Wormold's occupation?
2. What is one of the first things that Beatrice did:
3. Why does the Chief question the reports sent by Wormold?
4. The Englishman tells Wormold to meet him:
5. Who does Wormold find is driving Milly home from school:
Short Essay Questions
1. What indicates that Wormold didn't know what he was getting into when he accepted money from Hawthorne?
2. How does Wormold lose Hasselbacher to keep his appointment with Hawthorne?
3. How does Wormold keep Beatrice from finding his agents?
4. Why doesn't Wormold feel up to his morning daiquiri with Hasselbacher?
5. When Wormold learns that Milly wants a horse for her birthday, what two facts does he find disturbing?
6. Wormold sends a list of three names who are his sub-agents. Where does he obtain the names from?
7. Why does a nervous and excited Hasselbacher call Wormold and tell him to come over to his home?
8. Why is Wormold going through his index card list of agents the next morning?
9. Why is there a curfew in Santiago?
10. Why does Wormold tell Hasselbacher that he was given money to provide information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a hero in the novel? If so, who? Would you consider the Chief or Captain Segura heroes? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Wormold is opposed to Captain Segura from the first time he hears about him because of his friendship with Milly. Throughout most of the book, they appear as adversaries. In the overall context of the novel, was Segura helping Wormold or was he hurting him? Does your answer change when you consider that Segura knew of a the trouble that Wormold was in?
Essay Topic 3
Wormold insisted on attending the European's Traders' Association luncheon because he wanted to find the killer. Do you think this was a wise move? What did he want to prove? Why didn't he skip the luncheon?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)