|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Englishman run the water in the Gents?
2. What does the Englishman know about Wormold?
3. Why are there fewer tourists in Havana than usual?
4. What does Wormold use for the strange machinery sketches:
5. While they have a discussion at their table, a woman at the next table:
Short Essay Questions
1. Milly is a devout Catholic, Womold isn't. Why does he raise her as Catholic?
2. What happens when Hawthorne hears footsteps approaching the men's room?
3. How are Wormold's reports received in London?
4. What word is Mr. Wormold worried about with his vacuum cleaner business?
5. What warning is contained in the cables from London?
6. What happens when Wormold is on his way to meet Hawthorne?
7. Why does a nervous and excited Hasselbacher call Wormold and tell him to come over to his home?
8. Why is Wormold questioned by the police in Santiago?
9. Why does Hawthorne agree to have the Secret Service pay for Wormold's Country Club membership?
10. What does Wormold learn about the Englishman who had been in his shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Wormold's actions from the viewpoint of morality and ethics? Does the fact that he wanted a better life for his daughter affect your answer? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Who was the "they" and "them" that Hasselbacher talked about and the "other side" that Hawthorne referred to? Why did they want Wormold dead? Why did they kill Hasselbacher?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a hero in the novel? If so, who? Would you consider the Chief or Captain Segura heroes? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)