|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the police find Wormold's postcard to Hasselbacher, Wormold tells them that Hasselbacher is:
2. On the trip, Wormold:
3. What is one of the first things that Beatrice did:
5. What happens when Wormold goes to keep his appointment with Hawthorne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wormold keep Beatrice from finding his agents?
2. When Wormold learns that Milly wants a horse for her birthday, what two facts does he find disturbing?
3. Why is there a curfew in Santiago?
4. Why does a nervous and excited Hasselbacher call Wormold and tell him to come over to his home?
5. Why does Wormold tell Hasselbacher that he was given money to provide information?
6. There is a scene at the Tropicana during Milly's party when a woman squirts Captain Segura with seltzer water. What does Wormold find out from the woman?
7. What does Mr. Wormold find when he enters his vacuum cleaner shop?
8. How does Wormold lose Hasselbacher to keep his appointment with Hawthorne?
9. When Wormold writes to his sister, what does he tell her?
10. What warning is contained in the cables from London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wormold is opposed to Captain Segura from the first time he hears about him because of his friendship with Milly. Throughout most of the book, they appear as adversaries. In the overall context of the novel, was Segura helping Wormold or was he hurting him? Does your answer change when you consider that Segura knew of a the trouble that Wormold was in?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Wormold was creative in his handling of the intelligence reports? Why didn't the experts catch the sketches of the vacuum cleaner parts? Do you think that this kind of situation could really happen?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a hero in the novel? If so, who? Would you consider the Chief or Captain Segura heroes? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)