|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Chief tell Hawthorne to look into arranging for Wormold?
2. Why does Wormold at first say no to Milly's request for a horse?
3. The cable basically says that Hawthorne has:
4. Wormold writes his sister that the vacuum cleaners aren't selling well because of:
5. In regards to Hawthorne, Wormold decides that he should:
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Wormold's reports received in London?
2. Why is Wormold questioned by the police in Santiago?
3. Why is there a curfew in Santiago?
4. When talking to Milly later that night, what advice does Wormold give her?
5. When Wormold writes to his sister, what does he tell her?
6. Why doesn't Wormold feel up to his morning daiquiri with Hasselbacher?
7. What happens when Wormold is on his way to meet Hawthorne?
8. What does Wormold do in response to his anger over what was done to Hasselbacher?
9. How does Wormold lose Hasselbacher to keep his appointment with Hawthorne?
10. What does Mr. Wormold find when he enters his vacuum cleaner shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wormold more or less stumbles into intelligence work not knowing what was expected of him or that it could be dangerous. At what point does he begin to realize the dangers? What precautions does he take? Does Beatrice have anything to do with it?
Essay Topic 2
Hasselbacher was Wormold's best friend and in some ways one of the most tragic figures in the novel. Discuss Hasselbacher's role. Do you think the was really trapped as he claimed? Why was he killed?
Essay Topic 3
Wormold insisted on attending the European's Traders' Association luncheon because he wanted to find the killer. Do you think this was a wise move? What did he want to prove? Why didn't he skip the luncheon?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)