|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wormold learn at the bank?
2. What do Wormold and Hasselbacher do every morning?
3. Beatrice tells Wormold that London's impression of him is that he is:
4. How long is Wormold in Santiago?
5. For Milly's seventeenth birthday, Wormold takes Milly and Hasselbacher to the:
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hawthorne hears footsteps approaching the men's room?
2. Why is there a curfew in Santiago?
3. How does Wormold get the British to pay for his yearly trip to visit retailers?
4. Wormold sends a list of three names who are his sub-agents. Where does he obtain the names from?
5. What happens when Wormold is on his way to meet Hawthorne?
6. What does Mr. Wormold find when he enters his vacuum cleaner shop?
7. Why is Wormold going through his index card list of agents the next morning?
8. What word is Mr. Wormold worried about with his vacuum cleaner business?
9. When Wormold learns that Milly wants a horse for her birthday, what two facts does he find disturbing?
10. What does Wormold do in response to his anger over what was done to Hasselbacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wormold more or less stumbles into intelligence work not knowing what was expected of him or that it could be dangerous. At what point does he begin to realize the dangers? What precautions does he take? Does Beatrice have anything to do with it?
Essay Topic 2
Hasselbacher was Wormold's best friend and in some ways one of the most tragic figures in the novel. Discuss Hasselbacher's role. Do you think the was really trapped as he claimed? Why was he killed?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the Chief's handling of the Havana situation? Do you think he did the right thing with the message that the constructions were a failure? What would have happened if he didn't devise this plan?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)