|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The duenna is what Wormold's refers to that:
2. What task does Wormold refuse to do:
3. What did Milly do at the age of thirteen when a boy pulled her hair?
4. Wormold writes his sister that the vacuum cleaners aren't selling well because of:
5. When the police find Wormold's postcard to Hasselbacher, Wormold tells them that Hasselbacher is:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a nervous and excited Hasselbacher call Wormold and tell him to come over to his home?
2. What indicates that Wormold didn't know what he was getting into when he accepted money from Hawthorne?
3. What word is Mr. Wormold worried about with his vacuum cleaner business?
4. Why is there a curfew in Santiago?
5. What happens when Wormold is on his way to meet Hawthorne?
6. What does Mr. Wormold find when he enters his vacuum cleaner shop?
7. What happens when Hawthorne hears footsteps approaching the men's room?
8. What warning is contained in the cables from London?
9. How does Hawthorne present Wormold to his Chief in London?
10. What does Wormold learn when he picks up his first cable at the Consulate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wormold is opposed to Captain Segura from the first time he hears about him because of his friendship with Milly. Throughout most of the book, they appear as adversaries. In the overall context of the novel, was Segura helping Wormold or was he hurting him? Does your answer change when you consider that Segura knew of a the trouble that Wormold was in?
Essay Topic 2
Hawthorne recruits Wormold for intelligence work. Explain how. How did Hawthorne know that Wormold wouldn't refuse? What did Wormold's financial situation have to do with his recruitment?
Essay Topic 3
Did Captain Segura really want to marry Milly? Yes or no? Was he using Milly to reach Wormold? Segura didn't seem very interested in talking to Milly at the airport. How does this affect your view?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)