|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wormold makes a yearly trip outside of Havana to:
2. What does Hasselbacher consider to be important in his search for lottery number?
3. What name does Wormold mention when the police question him?
4. In regard to providing information for money, Hasselbacher advises Wormold to:
5. On the trip, Wormold:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there a curfew in Santiago?
2. What does Wormold learn about the Englishman who had been in his shop?
3. Why is Wormold questioned by the police in Santiago?
4. Wormold sends a list of three names who are his sub-agents. Where does he obtain the names from?
5. How does Wormold keep Beatrice from finding his agents?
6. Why does Hawthorne agree to have the Secret Service pay for Wormold's Country Club membership?
7. Why doesn't Wormold feel up to his morning daiquiri with Hasselbacher?
8. How does Hawthorne present Wormold to his Chief in London?
9. When Wormold learns that Milly wants a horse for her birthday, what two facts does he find disturbing?
10. When Wormold writes to his sister, what does he tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wormold was motivated by greed. He accepted the job from Hawthorne for the money so he could give Milly the things that she wanted. Do you blame Wormold for this? Do you think he should have learned to say no to Milly and others?
Essay Topic 2
Wormold is opposed to Captain Segura from the first time he hears about him because of his friendship with Milly. Throughout most of the book, they appear as adversaries. In the overall context of the novel, was Segura helping Wormold or was he hurting him? Does your answer change when you consider that Segura knew of a the trouble that Wormold was in?
Essay Topic 3
Did Captain Segura really want to marry Milly? Yes or no? Was he using Milly to reach Wormold? Segura didn't seem very interested in talking to Milly at the airport. How does this affect your view?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)