|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wormold collect?
2. While they have a discussion at their table, a woman at the next table:
3. What does the Englishman know about Wormold?
4. The police:
5. What did Milly do at the age of thirteen when a boy pulled her hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. When talking to Milly later that night, what advice does Wormold give her?
2. What word is Mr. Wormold worried about with his vacuum cleaner business?
3. What does Wormold learn when he picks up his first cable at the Consulate?
4. Why is Wormold questioned by the police in Santiago?
5. Why does Wormold tell Hasselbacher that he was given money to provide information?
6. Why does a nervous and excited Hasselbacher call Wormold and tell him to come over to his home?
7. What does Mr. Wormold find when he enters his vacuum cleaner shop?
8. How does Wormold get the British to pay for his yearly trip to visit retailers?
9. How does Wormold lose Hasselbacher to keep his appointment with Hawthorne?
10. Milly is a devout Catholic, Womold isn't. Why does he raise her as Catholic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the book have a happy ending? Yes or no? Explain your position. How else could it have ended? Is the ending realistic from your point of view? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Wormold more or less stumbles into intelligence work not knowing what was expected of him or that it could be dangerous. At what point does he begin to realize the dangers? What precautions does he take? Does Beatrice have anything to do with it?
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion of the novel? Does it seem probable to you? Would you recommend the book to others? Why or why not?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)