|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wormold worry?
2. Wormold tells Hasselbacher that he was offered money:
3. What name does Wormold mention when the police question him?
4. Wormold makes a yearly trip outside of Havana to:
5. In regards to Hawthorne, Wormold decides that he should:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wormold learn when he picks up his first cable at the Consulate?
2. Why is Wormold questioned by the police in Santiago?
3. What happens when Hawthorne hears footsteps approaching the men's room?
4. When Wormold learns that Milly wants a horse for her birthday, what two facts does he find disturbing?
5. What indicates that Wormold didn't know what he was getting into when he accepted money from Hawthorne?
6. Why does Captain Segura discuss with Wormold?
7. While waiting to see the Chief, what impressions does Wormold receive from Hawthorne and Beatrice?
8. Why does the British Ambassador summon Wormold?
9. Why does a nervous and excited Hasselbacher call Wormold and tell him to come over to his home?
10. What word is Mr. Wormold worried about with his vacuum cleaner business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hawthorne recruits Wormold for intelligence work. Explain how. How did Hawthorne know that Wormold wouldn't refuse? What did Wormold's financial situation have to do with his recruitment?
Essay Topic 2
London is so impressed with Wormold's information that they send him a secretary and radio operator. How does this interfere with Wormold's plans? How does he adapt his work routine? What problems did they have?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a hero in the novel? If so, who? Would you consider the Chief or Captain Segura heroes? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)