|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the staff at the Secret Service commented that the sketches:
2. In a cable to Hawthorne, Wormold tells of:
3. What is missing from Hasselbacher's apartment?
4. Which of the following does Hawthorne not considered a necessity for Wormold's office:
5. What does Wormold find when he returns to his shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wormold get the British to pay for his yearly trip to visit retailers?
2. What warning is contained in the cables from London?
3. How does Wormold keep Beatrice from finding his agents?
4. What does Wormold learn about the Englishman who had been in his shop?
5. Why does Beatrice become suspicious of the night of Raul's intended flight?
6. What does Wormold do in response to his anger over what was done to Hasselbacher?
7. Why is Wormold questioned by the police in Santiago?
8. What does Mr. Wormold find when he enters his vacuum cleaner shop?
9. Wormold sends a list of three names who are his sub-agents. Where does he obtain the names from?
10. Why doesn't Wormold feel up to his morning daiquiri with Hasselbacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hasselbacher was Wormold's best friend and in some ways one of the most tragic figures in the novel. Discuss Hasselbacher's role. Do you think the was really trapped as he claimed? Why was he killed?
Essay Topic 2
Why were the British interested in Cuba? What was occurring at the time that was of interest to them? Why would Hawthorne select someone one like Wormold?
Essay Topic 3
Wormold is opposed to Captain Segura from the first time he hears about him because of his friendship with Milly. Throughout most of the book, they appear as adversaries. In the overall context of the novel, was Segura helping Wormold or was he hurting him? Does your answer change when you consider that Segura knew of a the trouble that Wormold was in?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)