|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Charles Lamb books?
2. Wormold invents his sub-agents by:
3. What does Hasselbacher consider to be important in his search for lottery number?
4. When Wormold receives fifteen hundred dollars for the bogus flight of the Cuban pilot, he plans to use the money:
5. In regards to Hawthorne, Wormold finds that the Consulate:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hawthorne agree to have the Secret Service pay for Wormold's Country Club membership?
2. How does Wormold keep Beatrice from finding his agents?
3. Why is Wormold questioned by the police in Santiago?
4. When Wormold writes to his sister, what does he tell her?
5. When Wormold learns that Milly wants a horse for her birthday, what two facts does he find disturbing?
6. What warning is contained in the cables from London?
7. What happens when Hawthorne hears footsteps approaching the men's room?
8. How does Wormold get the British to pay for his yearly trip to visit retailers?
9. When talking to Milly later that night, what advice does Wormold give her?
10. How does Wormold lose Hasselbacher to keep his appointment with Hawthorne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hawthorne apparently checked out Wormold before recruiting him, but when discussing him with his Chief, he said he was uncertain about Wormold. In what way does Hawthorne press the responsibility to his Chief? In what way does Hawthorne pass the responsibility to her Chief? Do you think he had to know his Chief rather well in order to do this?
Essay Topic 2
Is there a hero in the novel? If so, who? Would you consider the Chief or Captain Segura heroes? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Did Captain Segura really want to marry Milly? Yes or no? Was he using Milly to reach Wormold? Segura didn't seem very interested in talking to Milly at the airport. How does this affect your view?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)