|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While they have a discussion at their table, a woman at the next table:
2. The woman introduces herself to Wormold as:
3. What do Wormold and Hasselbacher do every morning?
4. What does Wormold find in Milly's room?
5. One of Beatrice's functions will be to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning is contained in the cables from London?
2. Why is Wormold questioned by the police in Santiago?
3. Milly is a devout Catholic, Womold isn't. Why does he raise her as Catholic?
4. How does Wormold keep Beatrice from finding his agents?
5. What does Wormold learn about the Englishman who had been in his shop?
6. How are Wormold's reports received in London?
7. When Wormold learns that Milly wants a horse for her birthday, what two facts does he find disturbing?
8. When Wormold writes to his sister, what does he tell her?
9. How does Hawthorne present Wormold to his Chief in London?
10. Why is there a curfew in Santiago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion of the novel? Does it seem probable to you? Would you recommend the book to others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why were the British interested in Cuba? What was occurring at the time that was of interest to them? Why would Hawthorne select someone one like Wormold?
Essay Topic 3
When Wormold met with Hawthorne, he didn't ask any questions. Do you think Wormold understood what was expected of him? Did the money influence Wormold?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)