|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hasselbacher had received a phone call:
2. What name does Wormold mention when the police question him?
3. For Milly's seventeenth birthday, Wormold takes Milly and Hasselbacher to the:
4. What does Wormold find when he returns to his shop?
5. Why does Wormold insist on Handling his own communication with his agents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hawthorne present Wormold to his Chief in London?
2. How does Wormold keep Beatrice from finding his agents?
3. When Wormold writes to his sister, what does he tell her?
4. Milly is a devout Catholic, Womold isn't. Why does he raise her as Catholic?
5. Wormold sends a list of three names who are his sub-agents. Where does he obtain the names from?
6. What does Wormold learn about the Englishman who had been in his shop?
7. How does Wormold lose Hasselbacher to keep his appointment with Hawthorne?
8. When talking to Milly later that night, what advice does Wormold give her?
9. Why doesn't Wormold feel up to his morning daiquiri with Hasselbacher?
10. How does Wormold get the British to pay for his yearly trip to visit retailers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the Chief's handling of the Havana situation? Do you think he did the right thing with the message that the constructions were a failure? What would have happened if he didn't devise this plan?
Essay Topic 2
Is there a hero in the novel? If so, who? Would you consider the Chief or Captain Segura heroes? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Hawthorne recruits Wormold for intelligence work. Explain how. How did Hawthorne know that Wormold wouldn't refuse? What did Wormold's financial situation have to do with his recruitment?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)