|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the blind Negro walks, he:
3. Where is Wormold planning to take Milly for her birthday:
4. What does Wormold find that Beatrice wants him to do:
5. What is the purpose of the Charles Lamb books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Wormold find when he enters his vacuum cleaner shop?
2. Why is Wormold going through his index card list of agents the next morning?
3. Wormold sends a list of three names who are his sub-agents. Where does he obtain the names from?
4. What happens when Wormold is on his way to meet Hawthorne?
5. Why doesn't Wormold feel up to his morning daiquiri with Hasselbacher?
6. How does Wormold keep Beatrice from finding his agents?
7. Why is there a curfew in Santiago?
8. What does Wormold learn about the Englishman who had been in his shop?
9. Why is Wormold questioned by the police in Santiago?
10. How are Wormold's reports received in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wormold was motivated by greed. He accepted the job from Hawthorne for the money so he could give Milly the things that she wanted. Do you blame Wormold for this? Do you think he should have learned to say no to Milly and others?
Essay Topic 2
Hawthorne apparently checked out Wormold before recruiting him, but when discussing him with his Chief, he said he was uncertain about Wormold. In what way does Hawthorne press the responsibility to his Chief? In what way does Hawthorne pass the responsibility to her Chief? Do you think he had to know his Chief rather well in order to do this?
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion of the novel? Does it seem probable to you? Would you recommend the book to others? Why or why not?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)