|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the trip, Wormold:
2. The Englishman, whose name is Hawthorne, wants to:
3. How long is Wormold in Santiago?
4. What does Wormold learn at the bank?
5. What is one of the first things that Beatrice did:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Captain Segura say of Hasselbacher's death?
2. Why does Wormold feel he has to attend the luncheon?
3. What does Wormold recognize in Carter?
4. How does Wormold keep Beatrice from finding his agents?
5. Who sees Wormold and Milly off at the airport?
6. Why does Captain Segura discuss with Wormold?
7. What warning is contained in the cables from London?
8. Why is there a curfew in Santiago?
9. Wormold sends a list of three names who are his sub-agents. Where does he obtain the names from?
10. Why does Beatrice become suspicious of the night of Raul's intended flight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wormold more or less stumbles into intelligence work not knowing what was expected of him or that it could be dangerous. At what point does he begin to realize the dangers? What precautions does he take? Does Beatrice have anything to do with it?
Essay Topic 2
What is your opinion of the novel? Does it seem probable to you? Would you recommend the book to others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a hero in the novel? If so, who? Would you consider the Chief or Captain Segura heroes? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)