|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seasonal decoration does Jamie put out for Gran and Granda?
2. How do Jamie and Hugh get around in the city?
3. Where does Granda want Jamie to be?
4. What is Fergus McCluskey in charge of?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the characteristics that makes Jamie love Karen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parallels the destruction of Granda Hugh's buildings?
2. Describe Jamie's visits with Granda Hugh.
3. Why does the author reintroduce the elements of orderliness and tidiness regarding Jamie's life?
4. What surprise does Jamie get at Granda Hugh's funeral?
5. How does the priest's eulogy somehow seem to calm Gran Margie?
6. How does Jamie pass the time at his grandparents' home?
7. What is Jamie's overall opinion of the afternoon spent with his mother?
8. How have Jamie's thoughts changed regarding becoming a father?
9. In what context is Granda Hugh eulogized as "Mr. Housing?"
10. Describe the day that Jamie takes Granda Hugh out to the pubs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Hagan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Gran Margie. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Gran Margie?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Granda Hugh and Robert. Both men want influence over Jamie at different points but have their hold on him in very different ways.
Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in literature? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)