|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the characteristics that makes Jamie love Karen?
2. Jamie misses the smell of ___________ on Karen's skin.
3. Where does Jamie's girlfriend live?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Jamie's mother when she spends the afternoon with him?
5. How does Jamie feel after reuniting with his mother for the afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is especially troubling to Jamie about Granda Hugh's story about John MacLean?
2. What is Jamie's overall opinion of the afternoon spent with his mother?
3. What do Jamie and Karen talk about when he calls her from a phone booth?
4. How does the priest's eulogy somehow seem to calm Gran Margie?
5. What event precipitates Jamie's contacting his estranged mother?
6. Describe Jamie's last personal encounter with Granda Hugh.
7. What is Jamie's mother's condition when he meets her?
8. How does Jamie pass the time at his grandparents' home?
9. How does Granda Hugh put up a front regarding his physical state and the work he knows he will never accomplish?
10. What is the opinion of Granda Hugh regarding the accusations from those who know him well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OUR FATHERS is a classic story of coming to terms with your past. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain
Essay Topic 2
The qualities of pressure and time seem to be almost unnamed characters in the book. How pervasive are they? Why do they have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? Why wasn't it called JAMIE or GRANDA HUGH? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)