|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jamie surprised to see in church at Granda's funeral?
2. What accusations are hurled at Jamie by a drunken journalist?
3. What is the priest's eulogy able to do?
4. What is Granda referred to in a eulogy?
5. In what city does Fergus McCluskey do his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the drunken journalist's derogatory comments directed at Jamie?
2. Why does the author reintroduce the elements of orderliness and tidiness regarding Jamie's life?
3. When does Granda Hugh die and how do Gran and Jamie react?
4. What are some of the things that Jamie loves about his girlfriend, Karen?
5. What does Jamie's meeting with his mother signify for him?
6. What is the opinion of Granda Hugh regarding the accusations from those who know him well?
7. How does Jamie pass the time at his grandparents' home?
8. Describe the day that Jamie takes Granda Hugh out to the pubs.
9. What is Jamie's overall opinion of the afternoon spent with his mother?
10. How have Jamie's thoughts changed regarding becoming a father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain O'Hagan's use of symbolism and imagery in the story as related to the decaying buildings. What do the decaying buildings represent? Which characters are especially affected by the buildings and what do they mean to them?
Essay Topic 2
OUR FATHERS is a classic story of coming to terms with your past. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain
Essay Topic 3
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in OUR FATHERS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes of the story and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)