|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Granda's appearance when Jamie sees him?
2. In what school does Jamie excel at in school?
3. Where did Hugh meet his future wife?
4. What name did Hugh earn in his new position after the war?
5. What is Jamie's mood as the story begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamie manage to get himself removed from his abusive home?
2. What are Jamie's observations about his father?
3. Describe how Famie became a political figure and advocate for a rent strikes movement.
4. What happened that made Famie hate the Irish people?
5. Which character's story is revealed in Part 1, Chapter 3?
6. What has Mrs. Drake given Jamie before he leaves on his trip?
7. Where is Jamie Bawn going with his parents as Part 1, Chapter 1 begins?
8. Why does the author provide such detail about Gran Margie's bedroom?
9. What feelings of Granda Hugh's come out regarding Jamie's leaving home years ago?
10. How did Hugh earn the name of "Mr. Housing?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
OUR FATHERS is a classic story of coming to terms with your past. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain
Essay Topic 2
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in OUR FATHERS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes of the story and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Robert. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Robert?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)