|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jamie notice about the buildings his Granda had constructed?
2. What name did Hugh earn in his new position after the war?
3. Which of the following does Jamie NOT do when arriving at his grandparents' flat?
4. Where is Jamie's childhood home?
5. Where is Granda when Jamie arrives at his grandparents' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Hugh and his son, Robert.
2. What happened that made Famie hate the Irish people?
3. How did Hugh earn the name of "Mr. Housing?"
4. Why is Jamie so sad to be leaving Mrs. Drake?
5. Where is Jamie Bawn going with his parents as Part 1, Chapter 1 begins?
6. How does Jamie manage to get himself removed from his abusive home?
7. What kind of student is Jamie?
8. What is Jamie doing as Part 1, Chapter 2 begins?
9. Describe Gran Margie as Jamie sees her for the first time in ten years.
10. Who does Jamie encounter when he steps off the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does O'Hagan end the book on a note of hope for Jamie or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with his father? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in Scotland in the mid-20th century. Why was Alice not given the freedom to leave her abusive marriage? What precedents was she forced to follow? Explain why her lack of choice affected her marriage, life and child.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jamie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jamie?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)