|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jamie Bawn at the beginning of the story?
2. What secrets does Granda Hugh share with Jamie?
3. With what does Robert cut himself after he and Jamie fight?
4. What does Jamie notice about the buildings his Granda had constructed?
5. How old is Jamie when Part 1, Chapter 2 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamie manage to get himself removed from his abusive home?
2. How does the author use weather as a literary device to convey mood?
3. Why is Jamie so sad to be leaving Mrs. Drake?
4. Describe the nature of the relationship between Famie and her husband, Thomas.
5. Describe the relationship between Hugh and his son, Robert.
6. Describe how Famie became a political figure and advocate for a rent strikes movement.
7. Describe Granda Hugh as Jamie sees him for the first time in ten years.
8. Why does the author provide such detail about Gran Margie's bedroom?
9. What are Jamie's thoughts as he returns to his childhood home in Scotland on the train?
10. Why does Jamie feel the need to protect his mother from his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does O'Hagan end the book on a note of hope for Jamie or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with his father? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? Why wasn't it called JAMIE or GRANDA HUGH? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Jamie and his father. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Jamie learn about the reality of his life with his father as opposed to the perceptions he has held for so long?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)