|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jamie's family going to Scotland?
2. The bleak descriptions of Granda's buildings uses the literary technique of __________________.
3. How long has it been since Jamie has been home?
4. What did Mrs. Drake do for Jamie in exchange for his doing odd jobs around her house?
5. Which of the following did Mrs. Drake NOT provide for Jamie while he lived in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author provide such detail about Gran Margie's bedroom?
2. Why does Jamie feel the need to protect his mother from his father?
3. What is life like for Jamie at Granda Hugh and Gran Margie's house?
4. Describe how Famie became a political figure and advocate for a rent strikes movement.
5. Describe the relationship between Hugh and his son, Robert.
6. Describe Granda Hugh as Jamie sees him for the first time in ten years.
7. What feelings of Granda Hugh's come out regarding Jamie's leaving home years ago?
8. What are Jamie's observations about his father?
9. Why is Jamie so sad to be leaving Mrs. Drake?
10. What eases some of Jamie's sadness at having to leave Mrs. Drake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Hagan is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did O'Hagan choose to use these places in the drama?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jamie. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jamie?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)