|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Robert's demeanor best described?
2. What do the teenagers notice about Jamie?
3. Part 1, Chapter 3 covers whose early years?
4. What does Mrs. Drake send with Jamie on his trip?
5. Where are Jamie and his parents going?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Mrs. Drake given Jamie before he leaves on his trip?
2. What kind of student is Jamie?
3. How did little Hugh spend much of his childhood?
4. What feelings of Granda Hugh's come out regarding Jamie's leaving home years ago?
5. What are Jamie's thoughts as he returns to his childhood home in Scotland on the train?
6. Who does Jamie encounter when he steps off the train?
7. What happened that made Famie hate the Irish people?
8. Describe Granda Hugh as Jamie sees him for the first time in ten years.
9. What does Jamie note about his grandfather's buildings as he returns home?
10. What eases some of Jamie's sadness at having to leave Mrs. Drake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for Jamie's life. Will Granda Hugh still be such a powerful presence in his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Jamie and his father. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Jamie learn about the reality of his life with his father as opposed to the perceptions he has held for so long?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)