|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose reputation does Jamie attempt to defend while at the bar?
(c) Jamie's mother's.
2. What does Jamie secretly take the train to watch?
(a) A ribbon cutting of a competitor's hotel.
(b) A burlesque show.
(c) A cornerstone ceremony.
(d) The demolition of Granda's buildings.
3. What seems to be the only part of Granda which has not changed?
(a) His bright eyes.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His memory.
(d) His shock of red hair.
4. What does Granda, in a mischievous mood, dare Jamie to do?
(a) Climb a wall and check a church bell.
(b) Make prank phone calls.
(c) Moon passing drivers.
(d) Go skinnydipping.
5. What does Jamie note about Gran's friends?
(a) None of them is still alive.
(b) They are all widowed.
(c) They all work part time.
(d) They are in nursing homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flowers does Gran leave on Granda's grave?
2. Who is Jamie's girlfriend?
3. What does Jamie do as Granda enjoys spending time with the locals in the pub?
4. Which of the following does Jamie NOT do with Gran?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the characteristics that makes Jamie love Karen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the priest's eulogy somehow seem to calm Gran Margie?
2. Describe the day that Jamie takes Granda Hugh out to the pubs.
3. How is Jamie torn between the past and the present regarding Granda Hugh's reputation?
4. What is especially troubling to Jamie about Granda Hugh's story about John MacLean?
5. Why does the author reintroduce the elements of orderliness and tidiness regarding Jamie's life?
6. What emotional event does Jamie witness regarding Granda Hugh's work?
7. What are some of the things that Jamie loves about his girlfriend, Karen?
8. What is Jamie's mother's condition when he meets her?
9. What event precipitates Jamie's contacting his estranged mother?
10. What does Gran say about the accusations lodged at Grandpa Hugh?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)