|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not working properly in Granda and Gran's building?
(a) The doorbell.
(b) The alarm system.
(c) The elevator.
(d) The porch light.
2. The bleak descriptions of Granda's buildings uses the literary technique of __________________.
3. What is Jamie's Gran's first name?
4. What did Famie start in Scotland?
(a) A widow and orphans fund.
(b) A rent strikes movement.
(c) A women's voting rights group.
(d) A war memorial.
5. What awakens Jamie in the house one night?
(a) Ambulance sirens.
(b) Barking dogs.
(c) Someone breaking in.
(d) Robert beating Alice.
6. Why had Jamie left home years ago?
(a) To attend university.
(b) To get away from his parents.
(c) To explore the world on his own.
(d) To get a job.
7. What do the teenagers notice about Jamie?
(a) His accent.
(b) His clothes.
(c) His designer luggage.
(d) His haircut.
8. How does Jamie feel toward his mother?
9. How did German troops spot Thomas division, killing the men?
(a) They were singing Christmas carols.
(b) Irish soldiers negligently burned lanterns.
(c) Spies reported their location.
(d) They lit campfires too close to the front.
10. Where is Granda when Jamie arrives at his grandparents' home?
(a) Eating lunch in the kitchen.
(b) In bed.
(c) At a cafe.
(d) Watching TV in the den.
11. Who did Hugh marry?
(b) Mary Ann.
12. Hugh's father was not good at handling money or __________.
13. What does Robert do after someone breaks into the house?
(a) Moves to a better neighborhood.
(b) Calls the police.
(c) Puts new locks on the doors.
(d) Begins a nightly vigil in the bushes.
14. What is Jamie's mood as the story begins?
15. What is Granda's appearance when Jamie sees him?
(a) Robust and vital.
(b) Larger than life.
(c) Near death.
(d) Small and fragile.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Robert's demeanor best described?
2. Who approaches Jamie as he steps off the train?
3. What does Mrs. Drake send with Jamie on his trip?
4. What is Jamie's father's name?
5. Why is Jamie's family going to Scotland?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)