|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gran place in drinking glasses?
(a) Ice cubes.
2. What does Jamie think about on the train ride into Ayrshire?
(a) Starting a business.
(b) His youth.
(c) Making an important phone call.
(d) His finances.
3. How did German troops spot Thomas division, killing the men?
(a) They lit campfires too close to the front.
(b) They were singing Christmas carols.
(c) Irish soldiers negligently burned lanterns.
(d) Spies reported their location.
4. Why is Jamie's family going to Scotland?
(a) It is their home.
(b) On a business trip.
(c) For a vacation.
(d) To buy property.
5. From what country is Jamie departing when the story begins?
6. How does Jamie feel toward his mother?
7. In what month does Jamie return home?
8. Which of the following does Jamie NOT do when arriving at his grandparents' flat?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Warms himself by the fire.
(c) Chats with Gran.
(d) Drinks tea.
9. The bleak descriptions of Granda's buildings uses the literary technique of __________________.
10. What is the weather like when Jamie returns home?
11. Why is Jamie returning home in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) To visit his dying Granda.
(b) To get married.
(c) To attend a class reunion.
(d) To settle a will.
12. Hugh's father was not good at handling money or __________.
13. What mode of transportation does Jamie use to return home?
14. Part 1, Chapter 3 covers whose early years?
15. What does Jamie's mother promise Jamie?
(a) That he will go to college.
(b) That he can have a big birthday party.
(c) That he can have a bike for Christmas.
(d) That they will leave Robert one day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hugh's mother, Famie, sometimes stay?
2. What is Jamie's mood as the story begins?
3. What is Jamie's Gran's first name?
4. What seemed to improve Famie's mental health?
5. Where did Hugh's wife work after she moved to Glasgow?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)