|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Jamie NOT get when he moves in with his grandparents?
(a) His own room.
(b) A chemistry set.
(c) A dog.
(d) New books.
2. With what does Robert cut himself after he and Jamie fight?
(a) A pair of scissors.
(b) A piece of glass.
(c) A hunting knife.
(d) A rusty can.
3. What did Mrs. Drake do for Jamie in exchange for his doing odd jobs around her house?
(a) Read books to him.
(b) Bought his bus tickets.
(c) Paid his tuition.
(d) Cooked him hot meals.
4. Why is Jamie returning home in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) To settle a will.
(b) To get married.
(c) To visit his dying Granda.
(d) To attend a class reunion.
5. Which of the following was Hugh's father NOT good at?
6. Where did Hugh's mother, Famie, sometimes stay?
(a) A mental hospital.
(b) A bed and breakfast.
(c) A friend's home.
(d) A university.
7. What do the teenagers question Jamie about?
(a) Professional sports.
(b) The Beatles.
(c) English ways versus Scottish ways.
(d) Where he bought his clothes.
8. Where is Granda when Jamie arrives at his grandparents' home?
(a) In bed.
(b) Watching TV in the den.
(c) At a cafe.
(d) Eating lunch in the kitchen.
9. What did Famie start in Scotland?
(a) A war memorial.
(b) A widow and orphans fund.
(c) A women's voting rights group.
(d) A rent strikes movement.
10. What is not working properly in Granda and Gran's building?
(a) The porch light.
(b) The alarm system.
(c) The doorbell.
(d) The elevator.
11. What takes the place of drinking and shouting in Jamie's life when he lives with his grandparents?
(a) Building projects.
(b) Art projects.
(c) Reading the Bible.
(d) Going on vacations.
12. What does Robert do after someone breaks into the house?
(a) Puts new locks on the doors.
(b) Moves to a better neighborhood.
(c) Calls the police.
(d) Begins a nightly vigil in the bushes.
13. What is the weather like when Jamie returns home?
14. In what school does Jamie excel at in school?
15. How did the war affect Famie?
(a) She became stronger.
(b) She became very depressed.
(c) She became a victim.
(d) She became shy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Hugh earn in his new position after the war?
2. Why is Granda still angry with Jamie?
3. Granda tells tales of __________________ to Jamie.
4. Why had Jamie left home years ago?
5. What is Granda's appearance when Jamie sees him?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)