|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jude think when she looks in the mirror wearing her hijab for the first time?
(a) She looks more mature and wiser.
(b) She looks younger now.
(c) She looks overwhelmed by the scarf.
(d) She looks more like her mother.
2. What kind of appointment does Jude go to with Mama in Part III?
(a) An ultrasound appointment for the baby.
(b) A dermatologist appointment.
(c) An eye appointment.
(d) An appointment for her broken bone.
3. What does Grace ask Jude about her own language in Part III?
(a) Whether she misses speaking Arabic.
(b) Whether people ever harass her for speaking Arabic.
(c) Whether she likes English better than Arabic.
(d) Whether she is worried she will forget some Syrian words.
4. What are some unpleasant things Jude reads about in her uncle's copy of the newspaper every day?
(a) How America is running out of money.
(b) How America does not want to send any more money to Europe.
(c) How there will be an English test for people like her that she has to take soon.
(d) How some Americans do not want immigrants and refugees coming into the country.
5. What does Jude say when she first comes into the Middle Eastern restaurant?
6. Where does Mama tell Jude that Fatima is living with Aunt Amal?
(b) United Arab Emirates.
(d) Saudi Arabia.
7. What has Jude learned that many Americans do in conversation when they do not want to say hard things?
(a) Say, "Yada yada."
(b) Say, "You know," and then stop talking.
(c) Say, "You get it, right?"
(d) Say, "Do not make me say it."
8. What does Jude often see Aunt Michelle doing in the early morning?
(a) Staring out the window and into the backyard.
(b) Working at her computer.
(c) Raking the leaves.
(d) Talking in whispers with Uncle Mazin.
9. Where does Sarah go sledding with her friends in Part III?
(a) Farrington Park.
(b) Fairway Park.
(c) Mount Storm Park.
(d) Hilltop Park.
10. What does Layla tell Jude about the school play?
(a) She has to pay fifty dollars in order to try out.
(b) She has to get her father's permission to try out.
(c) She can not try out.
(d) She has to get her mother's permission to try out.
11. Why did Fatima and Amal move out of Syria?
(a) Fatima's Baba lost his job and it was getting too dangerous.
(b) They needed to visit relatives in Lebanon.
(c) Their house was bombed.
(d) They were in danger of being arrested in Syria.
12. What does Jude say to the rude woman at the hospital?
(a) Jude does not say anything.
(b) Jude says they are free.
(c) To mind her own business.
(d) They are happy.
13. What does Jude like more after hearing the bad news from Syria in Part III?
(a) Her letters.
(b) Sleeping in the same bed as Mama.
(c) Her Aunt Michelle's food.
(d) Her new winter coat.
14. Who is one woman Jude admires who also wears a hijab?
(a) Malala Yousafzai.
(b) Amal Aluddin.
(c) Nomi Nouridin.
(d) Jamila Jayapal.
15. Why does Jude tell Mama she did not tell her about the play tryouts?
(a) She did not want Mama to worry.
(b) She thought Mama would be angry.
(c) She was embarrassed in case she did not get a part.
(d) She was not really sure if she was going to go through with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Omar say he is thankful for ahead of Thanksgiving?
2. Who is the boy from Jude's math class who always wears the space t-shirts?
3. What does Aunt Michelle start calling Jude in Part III?
4. What does Jude say she is thankful for ahead of Thanksgiving?
5. What does the woman in the hospital say to Jude's Mama as they are leaving?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)