|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus Fever experience after falling ill in Chapter 9?
2. What did Randolph do just before his first homosexual experience?
3. Where did Idabel get the item she offers to let Joel wear?
4. What emotion does Idabel tighten with when her and Joel encounter a couple in the woods?
5. What else does the person giving Joel a haircut use as a guide for cutting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of the theme of coming of age through Joel's character. What might the author be saying about the unpredictability of coming of age based on Joel's journey from boy to man in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The subject of homosexuality is present throughout much of the book and offers an important insight into the nature of the book's characters.
Part 1.) What can the reader learn about the nature of the local's acceptance of homosexuality based on Idabel's need to escape the town and be her true self?
Part 2.) In what way might the author's portrayal of Joel represent the journey of first discovering homosexuality?
Part 3.) How might Randolph be seen as the most open and understanding of homosexuality in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the book's characters' purpose and motivation for using of manipulation. What motivations did Randolph and Amy have for continually manipulating Joel into staying at the Landing first by stopping his letters to his aunt and later by taking him away when his aunt would come to visit him?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)