|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Idabel wish for her and Joel to go to?
2. Who does Randolph discover his girlfriend ran away with after his first homosexual experience?
3. How many days does Ed Samson lie wounded in his apartment before being found?
4. What did Randolph's girlfriend tell him she has been aware of since the beginning of their relationship?
5. Where does Randolph meet his girlfriend he tells Joel about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism of birds in the book. In what way might the bird trapped in Joel's room represent his own plight at the Landing and his inability to find love and comfort?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the possible symbolism for Idabel's colored glasses in the book. In what way might Idabel's offering Joel her colored glasses be symbolic of her trying to shelter him from the harshness of life when you are an outsider?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of the father figure in the book. What impact might Ed Samson's being an invalid have on Joel's desperate search for a male figure in his life?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)