|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does the person giving Joel a haircut use as a guide for cutting?
2. Where does Randolph meet his girlfriend he tells Joel about?
3. Who reveals to Joel in Chapter 6 that they were the one shooting the gun?
4. Who does the person who gave Joel a haircut leave to tend to?
5. What does Joel's father drop from his hand at the end of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the possible symbolism for Idabel's colored glasses in the book. In what way might Idabel's offering Joel her colored glasses be symbolic of her trying to shelter him from the harshness of life when you are an outsider?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the book's characters' purpose and motivation for using of manipulation. What motivations did Randolph and Amy have for continually manipulating Joel into staying at the Landing first by stopping his letters to his aunt and later by taking him away when his aunt would come to visit him?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Florabel and Idabel in the book. How might the author purposefully make Florabel overtly feminine in order to offset the masculine nature of Idabel?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)