|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the midget who Joel and Idabel meet?
2. What occupation did Pepe Alvarez have?
3. What does Idabel tell Joel she wishes to join after running away?
4. What did Randolph do just before his first homosexual experience?
5. What does Randolph make towards Joel when he emerges from his room in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of death in the book. What can the reader learn about the book's characters based on their actions after Jesus Fever's death?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the dialogue used by the author provokes a distinct southern dialect that immerses the reader into the characters' surroundings.
Part 1.) How does the author's use of the Southern dialect in characters like Idabel help inform the readers about the nature of the book's setting?
Part 2.) In what way might the author's use of dialect be geared towards entertaining the reader?
Part 3.) What can the reader learn about the author's writing technique based on his masterly use of dialect in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that traditions played in the lives of those living at Skully's Landing. How does the author portray religious, mystical and cultural traditions in the book, and what information is learned through these representations?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)