|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the eccentric cousin that lives at Joel's father's house?
2. What instrument does Amy play in Chapter 4?
3. What is the name of the man Jesus Fever's granddaughter married?
4. What is the name of the restaurant that is first seen in the book?
5. In Chapter 2, who does Amy tell Joel had planned a party in his honor the night before but that he had missed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joel's first vision of his father described?
2. Why does Zoo wear a ribbon around her neck?
3. How does Randolph comfort Joel at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. How does Idabel describe a tombstone that reads "Toby, killed by the cat" to Joel?
5. Why does Zoo tell Joel she has been shooting a gun while giving him his haircut?
6. What is Joel's reaction when he is asked to move in with his father?
7. How does Amy react to Joel's questions about his father in Chapter 2?
8. How are Joel's feelings described when he inverts during his first prayer service?
9. How does Little Sunshine describe the Cloud Hotel?
10. What is Joel's reaction to his first prayer service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the book's title "Other Voices, Other Rooms". What significance does this title hold for the characters Joel and Randolph in the book and what insight might this offer in examining the portrayal of the outsider's journey in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of birds in the book. In what way might the bird trapped in Joel's room represent his own plight at the Landing and his inability to find love and comfort?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the possible symbolism for Idabel's colored glasses in the book. In what way might Idabel's offering Joel her colored glasses be symbolic of her trying to shelter him from the harshness of life when you are an outsider?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)