|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following cities had Randolph not tried to mail a letter to a man named Pepe Alvarez?
2. What is Idabel going to retrieve from the creek in Chapter 5?
3. What does Zoo keep tied around her neck?
4. What is Joel doing at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What does the item that the eccentric hermit brings to Zoo supposed to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joel react when Randolph whispers something to him in Chapter 4?
2. What is the nature of Joel and Florabel's conversation in Chapter 5?
3. What does Joel believe led to his mother's death?
4. What is Joel's reaction when he is asked to move in with his father?
5. What is the nature of Joel's letter to his Aunt Ellen?
6. How does Randolph ask Joel to bring him water in Chapter 6?
7. How is Miss Wisteria described when Joel and Idabel first meet her?
8. How does Idabel react when Joel kisses her on the cheek?
9. How do Randolph and Amy react to Joel's questions regarding a strange woman he saw in Chapter 4?
10. What does Randolph do towards Joel while Amy plays the pianola?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Florabel and Idabel in the book. How might the author purposefully make Florabel overtly feminine in order to offset the masculine nature of Idabel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of Skully's Landing in the book. In what way does the author portray Skully's Landing to be a bizarre and desolate place and based on this portrayal, what might he be saying about the nature of those living there?
Essay Topic 3
The notion of religion appears to play a vital role in Joel's life at the Landing.
Part 1.) What role does religious traditions seem to play in the lives of characters like Zoo and Jesus Fever based on their services performed on Sundays?
Part 2.) What is telling of Joel's nature based on his reactions to religious traditions at the Landing?
Part 3.) What might the author be saying about religion based on his portrayal of the religious acts seen at the Landing?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)