|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iago plan to do with the item that is dropped as Othello and Desdemona headed to dinner with the islanders?
2. What does Desdemona call Iago while she is talking with Cassio right before Othello leaves?
3. Why is Roderigo killed?
4. What does Othello tell Desdemona is so special about the handkerchief he gave her?
5. Who is the only character who is not being manipulated by Iago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Desdemona realize about her marriage while she is getting ready for bed?
2. What does Othello ask Iago to give him after he overhears Iago and Cassio talking?
3. Why does Othello finally tell Desdemona that he will consider forgiving Cassio?
4. What does Iago tell Desdemona he will do when Desdemona talks about Othello's odd and angry behavior towards her?
5. Who are Cassio and Iago talking about while Othello thinks they are discussing Desdemona?
6. What does Iago tell Othello he heard from Cassio while he is talking to Othello at the beginning of Act 4?
7. What is Bianca surprised to see Cassio with when we first see her in the play?
8. What does Desdemona do while getting ready for bed after dinner?
9. Who is the most villainous person in this play?
10. What does Desdemona call Iago when she is talking with Cassio about getting his job back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Othello is outraged when he overhears a conversation between Iago and Cassio. Explain this scene. How does Othello react to this conversation? Why does he feel this way? How does this one conversation change the outcome of the entire play?
Essay Topic 2
What are Othello's final words, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Why might Shakespeare have allowed Iago to live at the end of the play when so many others died? What kind of message does this send? Should Iago have been killed? Why or why not?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)