|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Othello tell Emilia to do after he has questioned her about Desdemona's affair?
2. What does Iago tell Desdemona that Othello is upset about after Othello accuses her of having an affair?
3. Who is sent to tell Othello and Desdemona about Cassio's wounds?
4. Why does Iago have to work so hard to convince Othello that Desdemona is unfaithful?
5. What excuse does Desdemona give Othello for his odd behavior towards her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Emilia say is to blame when women cheat on their husbands?
2. Why does Othello complain to Desdemona about having watery eyes?
3. Where is Iago supposed to deliver the package that Othello gives him?
4. What does Othello say he needs before believing something negative about Cassio from Iago?
5. What part did Cassio play in Othello and Desdemona's courtship?
6. What does Iago tell Cassio to do after Iago is done speaking with Othello at the beginning of Act 4?
7. What is Emilia's response to the question Othello asks about Desdemona?
8. Who are Cassio and Iago talking about while Othello thinks they are discussing Desdemona?
9. What does Othello ask Iago to give him after he overhears Iago and Cassio talking?
10. What is Bianca surprised to see Cassio with when we first see her in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Desdemona sings a song that is echoed by Emilia in her death. What is this song? Why is it so significant? Where are the two women when they sing it, and how does it fit the scenes in which it was involved?
Essay Topic 2
Othello endures a crucible of sorts before the end of the tragedy. What lessons does Othello learn through this experience? How does he learn these lessons? How could he have learned these lessons without causing so much grief? Do you think Othello deserved what he got in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by jealousy react?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)