|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iago send away just after Othello reacts to Iago's lie about Cassio's bragging?
2. Why is Iago trying to destroy Othello's marriage?
3. What does Othello tell Emilia to do after he has questioned her about Desdemona's affair?
4. Who is the only character who is not being manipulated by Iago?
5. Why does Iago try so hard to calm Desdemona down after she has been accused by Othello?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the most villainous person in this play?
2. What does Iago tell Cassio to do after Iago is done speaking with Othello at the beginning of Act 4?
3. Who hides to ambush Cassio?
4. What does Othello say he needs before believing something negative about Cassio from Iago?
5. Why does Othello complain to Desdemona about having watery eyes?
6. What do Othello, Lodovico, Desdemona and Emilia all do together after dinner?
7. What does Iago tell Desdemona he will do when Desdemona talks about Othello's odd and angry behavior towards her?
8. What does Emilia say she would do for the right price?
9. What does Desdemona do while getting ready for bed after dinner?
10. Why does Iago stab and kill Roderigo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is involved in the attack on Cassio, and what do they have to gain by doing this? How does this night alter the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Why might Shakespeare have allowed Iago to live at the end of the play when so many others died? What kind of message does this send? Should Iago have been killed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Iago uses many different lies to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these lies, and how did they poison the characters who heard them?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)