|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
2. What is the name of Iago's wife?
3. What does the Duke do after hearing both Brabantio and Othello's sides of the story?
4. What does Iago plan to do to get revenge on Othello?
5. What does Othello do to punish Cassio for his fighting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Othello's marriage?
2. What is the celebration in Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
3. Why is Othello so torn about firing Cassio?
4. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
5. Why is Cassio so worried about Othello when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
6. What does Brabantio see that convinces him that Desdemona has eloped?
7. What does Cassio really want after his hired help is mocked by the clown?
8. What does Othello do when he sees Cassio's deplorable behavior on his first night in Cyprus?
9. What does Iago plan to make Othello believe after the trial is over?
10. Why does Othello compare Montano and Cassio to Turks on their first night in Cyrpus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this play all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and analyze each one's main motivation(s) throughout the play and how their individual goals affect the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Iago uses many different lies to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these lies, and how did they poison the characters who heard them?
Essay Topic 3
Bianca was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Bianca had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)