|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iago tell Cassio is the reason for Othello being at the inn?
2. What does Iago plan to tell Othello once he is in Cyprus with him?
3. How is Brabantio related to Desdemona?
4. What is announced in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What is the Duke discussing when he is first seen in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duke of Cyprus feel about Othello?
2. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
3. What does Roderigo suggest that he and Iago do to try and stop the marriage between Othello and Desdemona?
4. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
5. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. Why is Cassio so worried about Othello when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
7. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
8. How does Brabantio think Othello got Desdemona to marry him?
9. What is the celebration in Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
10. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iago has a very specific description of his idea of the perfect woman. What is this description, and what does this suggest about Iago's character? Compare/contrast Iago's idea of the perfect woman to another character's thoughts on the subject.
Essay Topic 2
Othello asks Desdemona a question before he kills her. What is this question and why does Othello feel it was so necessary? What does this reveal about Othello's character?
Essay Topic 3
Why might Shakespeare have allowed Iago to live at the end of the play when so many others died? What kind of message does this send? Should Iago have been killed? Why or why not?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)