|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is awakened by the noise that Roderigo causes during the brawl in the street?
2. What does Iago plan to do to get revenge on Othello?
3. Who does Cassio fight with on his first night in Cyprus?
4. During their discussion while on watch together, what does Iago urge Cassio to do?
5. How does Desdemona feel about Iago's description of the perfect woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the celebration in Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
2. What does Cassio do to cheer himself up after being punished by Othello for his brawl in the street?
3. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Othello's marriage?
4. How did Othello and Desdemona meet?
5. What does Iago tell Montano about Cassio on his first night in Cyprus?
6. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
8. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading for Cyprus?
9. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
10. What does Cassio really want after his hired help is mocked by the clown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iago uses many different lies to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these lies, and how did they poison the characters who heard them?
Essay Topic 2
Othello endures a crucible of sorts before the end of the tragedy. What lessons does Othello learn through this experience? How does he learn these lessons? How could he have learned these lessons without causing so much grief? Do you think Othello deserved what he got in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Cassio is a very integral part of this plot. How does Cassio and his actions change the tide of the plot? Do you think he is aware of what he is doing? Why or why not? Make sure to use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)