|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duke of Cyprus praise about Othello before he comes ashore in Cyprus?
2. Why does Brabantio think Othello has the power of bewitchment?
3. What is the Duke discussing when he is first seen in the play?
4. What is Cassio most worried about after his punishment?
5. How do Iago and Roderigo wake up Brabantio to tell him of the marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emilia tell Cassio when he asks her to put in a good word for him with Desdemona?
2. What does Iago tell Montano about Cassio on his first night in Cyprus?
3. Why is Othello so torn about firing Cassio?
4. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
5. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Othello's marriage?
6. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
7. How does Brabantio think Othello got Desdemona to marry him?
8. What trait in Emilia does Iago mock several times throughout the book?
9. Why does Othello compare Montano and Cassio to Turks on their first night in Cyrpus?
10. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading for Cyprus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emilia has her own theory for why some women cheat on their husbands. What is this theory? What are her validations for this? How does Desdemona feel about Emilia's theory? How do the characters' different opinions display themselves by the way the two women live their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by jealousy react?
Essay Topic 3
Iago uses many different lies to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these lies, and how did they poison the characters who heard them?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)