|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Duke discussing when he is first seen in the play?
2. How did Desdemona and Othello spend their time when they were falling in love before their marriage?
3. What is the shortest scene in the book?
4. Who does Othello compare Cassio to when he sees Cassio fighting?
5. Who is one of the messengers who summons Othello while he is talking to Iago of his love for Desdemona?
Short Essay Questions
1. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
2. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What does Othello do when he sees Cassio's deplorable behavior on his first night in Cyprus?
4. How does the Duke of Cyprus feel about Othello?
5. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
6. Why is Othello at the inn when he receives the summons from the Duke?
7. What does Iago tell Montano about Cassio on his first night in Cyprus?
8. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Othello's marriage?
9. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
10. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading for Cyprus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Othello is outraged when he overhears a conversation between Iago and Cassio. Explain this scene. How does Othello react to this conversation? Why does he feel this way? How does this one conversation change the outcome of the entire play?
Essay Topic 2
Iago uses many different lies to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these lies, and how did they poison the characters who heard them?
Essay Topic 3
Othello asks Desdemona a question before he kills her. What is this question and why does Othello feel it was so necessary? What does this reveal about Othello's character?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)