|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iago swear to do to Othello and Desdemona's 'fine tuned' love?
2. Who does Iago tell Cassio to confer with about finding forgiveness from Othello after his brawl in the street?
3. What does Othello do to punish Cassio for his fighting?
4. While talking to Othello in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Iago pretend that he does not like to do?
5. What is Cassio most worried about after his punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Othello so torn about firing Cassio?
2. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
3. Why is Cassio so worried about Othello when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
4. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. Why is Othello at the inn when he receives the summons from the Duke?
6. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
7. What does Iago tell Montano about Cassio on his first night in Cyprus?
8. What does Iago plan to make Othello believe after the trial is over?
9. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
10. How does the Duke of Cyprus feel about Othello?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Othello endures a crucible of sorts before the end of the tragedy. What lessons does Othello learn through this experience? How does he learn these lessons? How could he have learned these lessons without causing so much grief? Do you think Othello deserved what he got in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does Desdemona say as she is dying and how does this statement affect Othello? How do these last words change the outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this play all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and analyze each one's main motivation(s) throughout the play and how their individual goals affect the characters around them.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)