|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cassio call himself after he has been punished for his brawl in the street of Cyprus?
2. Who does Iago reveal his entire plan to after everyone else leaves the Duke's court in Cyprus?
3. What is Roderigo's first step toward revenge against Othello when he hears of their marriage?
4. What does Iago plan to tell Othello once he is in Cyprus with him?
5. Who sent the messengers who summon Othello while he is talking to Iago if his love for Desdemona?
Short Essay Questions
1. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading for Cyprus?
2. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. Why is Othello so torn about firing Cassio?
4. Why does Othello compare Montano and Cassio to Turks on their first night in Cyrpus?
5. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Othello's marriage?
6. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
7. What does Cassio really want after his hired help is mocked by the clown?
8. What does Roderigo suggest that he and Iago do to try and stop the marriage between Othello and Desdemona?
9. How does the Duke of Cyprus feel about Othello?
10. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Desdemona say as she is dying and how does this statement affect Othello? How do these last words change the outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Desdemona sings a song that is echoed by Emilia in her death. What is this song? Why is it so significant? Where are the two women when they sing it, and how does it fit the scenes in which it was involved?
Essay Topic 3
Why might Shakespeare have allowed Iago to live at the end of the play when so many others died? What kind of message does this send? Should Iago have been killed? Why or why not?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)