|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what genre is this play categorized?
2. Who is Cassio most worried about when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
3. Who has declared the big event for Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What is Roderigo's first step toward revenge against Othello when he hears of their marriage?
5. Who does Iago choose to be his main pawn in his plan to get revenge against Othello?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
2. What does Cassio do to cheer himself up after being punished by Othello for his brawl in the street?
3. What does Iago tell Montano about Cassio on his first night in Cyprus?
4. Why does Othello compare Montano and Cassio to Turks on their first night in Cyrpus?
5. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
7. What is the celebration in Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
8. Why does Cassio refuse to drink the wine offered him by Iago when they are both on watch on their first night in Cyprus?
9. How did Othello and Desdemona meet?
10. What is Iago's description of the perfect woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iago has a very specific description of his idea of the perfect woman. What is this description, and what does this suggest about Iago's character? Compare/contrast Iago's idea of the perfect woman to another character's thoughts on the subject.
Essay Topic 2
Desdemona sings a song that is echoed by Emilia in her death. What is this song? Why is it so significant? Where are the two women when they sing it, and how does it fit the scenes in which it was involved?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this play all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and analyze each one's main motivation(s) throughout the play and how their individual goals affect the characters around them.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)