Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Duke of Cyprus?
2. Who does Cassio want to have put in a good word for him with Desdemona the morning after his street brawl?
3. What does Brabantio do when he hears that Desdemona really does love Othello?
4. What does the Duke do after hearing both Brabantio and Othello's sides of the story?
5. During their discussion while on watch together, what does Iago urge Cassio to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who told Iago to kill Cassio?
2. Who does Iago try to frame for the attack on Cassio?
3. Who hides to ambush Cassio?
4. Why does Cassio refuse to drink the wine offered him by Iago when they are both on watch on their first night in Cyprus?
5. What does Othello do before Desdemona awakes to him standing beside their bed?
6. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
8. Why does Iago stab and kill Roderigo?
9. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
10. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
Bianca was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Bianca had not been in the book at all?
Who is involved in the attack on Cassio, and what do they have to gain by doing this? How does this night alter the plot?
Othello is a black man in power. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him? Does his skin color change the way people think about him? Why or why not? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)