|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Othello put in charge of restoring order after Cassio's brawl in the street of Cyprus?
2. Who is awakened by the noise that Roderigo causes during the brawl in the street?
3. Why is Cassio so hesitant to do what Iago is pressuring him to do?
4. What does Brabantio think will happen once he presents his case against Othello at the Duke's house?
5. What is announced in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
2. What does Othello do when he sees Cassio's deplorable behavior on his first night in Cyprus?
3. How does the Duke of Cyprus feel about Othello?
4. What does Cassio really want after his hired help is mocked by the clown?
5. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
6. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
7. Why is Othello so torn about firing Cassio?
8. What is the celebration in Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
9. Why is Othello at the inn when he receives the summons from the Duke?
10. What does Roderigo suggest that he and Iago do to try and stop the marriage between Othello and Desdemona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iago uses many different lies to complete his horrible goals. What are some of these lies, and how did they poison the characters who heard them?
Essay Topic 2
Othello endures a crucible of sorts before the end of the tragedy. What lessons does Othello learn through this experience? How does he learn these lessons? How could he have learned these lessons without causing so much grief? Do you think Othello deserved what he got in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Emilia has her own theory for why some women cheat on their husbands. What is this theory? What are her validations for this? How does Desdemona feel about Emilia's theory? How do the characters' different opinions display themselves by the way the two women live their lives?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)