|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roderigo want to do after the trial is over and the marriage was declared legitimate?
2. Who is ordered to attend Desdemona on her journey to Cyprus?
3. What does the Duke order Othello to do before hearing what Brabantio has to say?
4. What does Brabantio think will happen once he presents his case against Othello at the Duke's house?
5. Who is the main figure in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
2. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
3. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
4. What does Cassio really want after his hired help is mocked by the clown?
5. How did Othello and Desdemona meet?
6. Why is Othello so happy to see Desdemona when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
7. How does the Duke of Cyprus feel about Othello?
8. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Othello's marriage?
9. How does Brabantio think Othello got Desdemona to marry him?
10. Why is Othello at the inn when he receives the summons from the Duke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might Shakespeare have allowed Iago to live at the end of the play when so many others died? What kind of message does this send? Should Iago have been killed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does Desdemona say as she is dying and how does this statement affect Othello? How do these last words change the outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Bianca was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Bianca had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)