|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iago notice doting on Desdemona while in the court of the Duke of Cyprus?
2. How do Iago and Roderigo wake up Brabantio to tell him of the marriage?
3. When Othello is questioned at the inn, what reason does he give for marrying Desdemona?
4. What do Othello and Desdemona do when they meet each other in Cyprus?
5. Why does Brabantio think Othello has the power of bewitchment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cassio refuse to drink the wine offered him by Iago when they are both on watch on their first night in Cyprus?
2. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
3. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How does Brabantio think Othello got Desdemona to marry him?
5. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
6. What is Iago's description of the perfect woman?
7. What does Othello do when he sees Cassio's deplorable behavior on his first night in Cyprus?
8. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
9. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
10. What does Emilia tell Cassio when he asks her to put in a good word for him with Desdemona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this play can be a little misleading to some people. Why is this? What are some other titles that might be more fitting? Why are these titles more suitable to the text than the original? Make sure to support your ideas with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Othello is outraged when he overhears a conversation between Iago and Cassio. Explain this scene. How does Othello react to this conversation? Why does he feel this way? How does this one conversation change the outcome of the entire play?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)