|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Iago plan to ruin Othello's marriage?
2. Who seems to be the only man of stature and honor in the room while Brabantio is raving in the inn?
3. On what account does Brabantio want to arrest Othello?
4. What does Cassio ask of Emilia the morning after his brawl in the street?
5. Where is Iago from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cassio do to cheer himself up after being punished by Othello for his brawl in the street?
2. Why is Othello so torn about firing Cassio?
3. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Othello's marriage?
4. What does Roderigo suggest that he and Iago do to try and stop the marriage between Othello and Desdemona?
5. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. What does Iago plan to make Othello believe after the trial is over?
7. What does Iago tell Montano about Cassio on his first night in Cyprus?
8. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
9. What does Emilia tell Cassio when he asks her to put in a good word for him with Desdemona?
10. What does Cassio really want after his hired help is mocked by the clown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might Shakespeare have allowed Iago to live at the end of the play when so many others died? What kind of message does this send? Should Iago have been killed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Emilia has her own theory for why some women cheat on their husbands. What is this theory? What are her validations for this? How does Desdemona feel about Emilia's theory? How do the characters' different opinions display themselves by the way the two women live their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What are Othello's final words, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the play?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)