|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pretends to help Cassio after his embarrassing street brawl the night before?
2. What is the Duke discussing when he is first seen in the play?
3. Who is awakened by the noise that Roderigo causes during the brawl in the street?
4. What do Cassio and Iago discuss while they are on watch together their first night in Cyprus?
5. Who does Cassio fight with on his first night in Cyprus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What does Othello do when he sees Cassio's deplorable behavior on his first night in Cyprus?
3. Why is Othello so happy to see Desdemona when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
4. What is the celebration in Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
5. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
6. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
7. What does Cassio do to cheer himself up after being punished by Othello for his brawl in the street?
8. How does Brabantio think Othello got Desdemona to marry him?
9. What does Emilia tell Cassio when he asks her to put in a good word for him with Desdemona?
10. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is involved in the attack on Cassio, and what do they have to gain by doing this? How does this night alter the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Desdemona sings a song that is echoed by Emilia in her death. What is this song? Why is it so significant? Where are the two women when they sing it, and how does it fit the scenes in which it was involved?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)