|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emilia tell Desdemona about jealousy after Othello leaves in a huff?
(a) That it needs no cause because it feeds upon itself.
(b) It is too powerful for a woman to combat.
(c) It will destroy her and everyone she holds dear.
(d) It always works itself out in the end.
2. What does Othello tell Desdemona is so special about the handkerchief he gave her?
(a) It was his grandmother's.
(b) It has magical powers.
(c) It is from a far away land.
(d) It is a symbol of love.
3. Why does Othello finally consent to meet with Cassio?
(a) He is reminded of how much Cassio means to him.
(b) He wants Desdemona to leave him alone concerning this subject.
(c) He wants to keep Cassio near so he can make sure he is not having an affair with his wife.
(d) He is in a hurry to leave and wants her to be quiet.
4. Why is Iago trying to destroy Othello's marriage?
(a) He wants Desdemona for himself.
(b) He wants revenge.
(c) He feels Othello is unfit to serve him.
(d) He is racist against all moors.
5. What is Iago preparing to do at the beginning of Act 5?
(a) Ambush Cassio.
(b) Tell another lie to Othello.
(c) Arrest Roderigo.
(d) Frame Othello in Desdemona's murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desdemona know for certain as she readies herself for bed?
2. What does Desdemona tell Emilia that Othello is not prone to while she waits for Cassio?
3. What is Desdemona's reaction to Othello's accusation of her unfaithfulness?
4. What is Iago's reasoning behind the statement he makes about what happens to every married man?
5. What did Cassio do for Othello while Othello and Desdemona were still courting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Cassio and Iago talking about while Othello thinks they are discussing Desdemona?
2. What is Bianca surprised to see Cassio with when we first see her in the play?
3. What does Desdemona lose that she is worried about finding?
4. What does Iago tell Desdemona he will do when Desdemona talks about Othello's odd and angry behavior towards her?
5. Who told Iago to kill Cassio?
6. What does Iago tell Othello he heard from Cassio while he is talking to Othello at the beginning of Act 4?
7. What is Emilia's response to the question Othello asks about Desdemona?
8. Why does Iago stab and kill Roderigo?
9. Why does Othello complain to Desdemona about having watery eyes?
10. Why does Othello finally tell Desdemona that he will consider forgiving Cassio?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)