|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke order Othello to do before hearing what Brabantio has to say?
(a) Leave to fight the Ottomans.
(b) Depart to spy on the Turks.
(c) Take an oath of honesty.
(d) Await his trial time in the jail.
2. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading towards Cyprus?
(a) Othello's crew.
(b) A mutinous attack.
(c) A storm.
(d) A hidden coral reef.
3. What is so different about Desdemona and Othello's relationship?
(a) Othello has been promised to another woman for years.
(b) Desdemona has alread been married twice.
(c) Othello is a black man and Desdemona is a white woman.
(d) Desdemona is much older then Othello.
4. Who does Cassio fight with on his first night in Cyprus?
5. What is the literary function of the Clown in this play?
(a) To tell the history.
(b) To provide comic relief.
(c) To provide ironic situations.
(d) To relay important messages.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Othello is questioned at the inn, what reason does he give for marrying Desdemona?
2. Who sent the messengers who summon Othello while he is talking to Iago if his love for Desdemona?
3. Why is Cassio so hesitant to do what Iago is pressuring him to do?
4. During their discussion while on watch together, what does Iago urge Cassio to do?
5. What is the name of Iago's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Othello so happy to see Desdemona when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
2. Why is Othello at the inn when he receives the summons from the Duke?
3. What does Iago plan to make Othello believe after the trial is over?
4. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading for Cyprus?
5. What does Brabantio see that convinces him that Desdemona has eloped?
6. How did Othello and Desdemona meet?
7. How does Brabantio think Othello got Desdemona to marry him?
8. Why is Cassio so worried about Othello when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
9. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
10. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)