|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke order Othello to do before hearing what Brabantio has to say?
(a) Await his trial time in the jail.
(b) Take an oath of honesty.
(c) Leave to fight the Ottomans.
(d) Depart to spy on the Turks.
2. Who is awakened by the noise that Roderigo causes during the brawl in the street?
(b) The Duke.
(d) The Duke's wife.
3. How does Iago plan to ruin Othello's marriage?
(a) Make Othello cheat on Desdemona.
(b) Woo Desdemona himself.
(c) Frame Othello for a murder.
(d) Make Othello think that Desdemona is unfaithful.
4. What is the shortest scene in the book?
(a) Act 1, Scene 4.
(b) Act 2, Scene 3.
(c) Act 3, Scene 1.
(d) Act 2, Scene 2.
5. How does Desdemona feel about Iago's description of the perfect woman?
(a) It describes herself to a tee.
(b) It is irrational and sexist.
(c) It is more thoughtful than she would have expected.
(d) It is kind and sweet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Othello act while Brabantio is accusing him of such horrible things at the inn?
2. Who pretends to help Cassio after his embarrassing street brawl the night before?
3. What does Iago tell Cassio is the reason for Othello being at the inn?
4. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Desdemona's marriage?
5. What is the literary function of the Clown in this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trait in Emilia does Iago mock several times throughout the book?
2. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
3. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
4. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
5. Why is Othello so happy to see Desdemona when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
6. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
7. Why does Othello compare Montano and Cassio to Turks on their first night in Cyrpus?
8. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Othello's marriage?
9. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
10. What does Iago plan to make Othello believe after the trial is over?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)