|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Desdemona and Othello spend their time when they were falling in love before their marriage?
2. Why does Brabantio think Othello has the power of bewitchment?
(a) He has seen Othello do it to others.
(b) This is widely rumored about Othello.
(c) Iago told him this.
(d) He is a moor.
3. What does Othello do to punish Cassio for his fighting?
(a) Strips him of his title.
(b) Beats him publicly.
(c) Has him arrested.
(d) Chides him publicly.
4. Who makes rude comments to the group that Cassio hired to cheer himself up?
(a) The clown.
(b) A musician.
(c) A beggar boy.
(d) A lord.
5. While speaking with Iago in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Othello say he would never give up for Desdemona?
(a) His military status.
(c) His virtue.
(d) His social reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the big event of Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
2. What is the name of the Duke of Cyprus?
3. Who does Othello put in charge of restoring order after Cassio's brawl in the street of Cyprus?
4. What does Iago swear to do to Othello and Desdemona's 'fine tuned' love?
5. What does Brabantio find that convinces him his daughter really has escaped to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cassio so worried about Othello when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
2. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
3. What does Iago tell Montano about Cassio on his first night in Cyprus?
4. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
5. What trait in Emilia does Iago mock several times throughout the book?
6. Why does Cassio refuse to drink the wine offered him by Iago when they are both on watch on their first night in Cyprus?
7. What does Iago plan to make Othello believe after the trial is over?
8. Why is Othello so happy to see Desdemona when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
9. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
10. What does Othello do when he sees Cassio's deplorable behavior on his first night in Cyprus?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)