|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Iago and Roderigo wake up Brabantio to tell him of the marriage?
(a) They knock on his window while he is sleeping.
(b) They sneak into his bedroom.
(c) They knock on the door.
(d) They rush into the house after the doorman opens the door.
2. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
(a) He married Desdemona.
(b) He slept with his wife.
(c) He promoted Cassio instead of Iago.
(d) He is a moor.
3. What is the literary function of the Clown in this play?
(a) To provide comic relief.
(b) To tell the history.
(c) To relay important messages.
(d) To provide ironic situations.
4. Why is Cassio so hesitant to do what Iago is pressuring him to do?
(a) He does not hold his liquor well.
(b) He knows that pursuing a married woman is wrong.
(c) He has lost a fortune to gambling.
(d) Roderigo is his good friend.
5. How does Igao comfort Roderigo after the trial is over and the marriage is declared legitimate?
(a) Lists all of Desdemona's faults.
(b) Encourages him to find a new love.
(c) Points out that Desdemona has a beautiful sister.
(d) Assures Roderigo that the couple will tire of each other soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Montano want to report to Othello for behavior unbecoming of an officer on the first night in Cyprus?
2. Where does Othello go after his discussion with Brabantio at the inn?
3. While talking to Othello in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Iago pretend that he does not like to do?
4. Who does Cassio beg to talk with after his hired group has been sent away the morning after his street brawl?
5. Who does Iago choose to be his main pawn in his plan to get revenge against Othello?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brabantio see that convinces him that Desdemona has eloped?
2. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
3. What is the celebration in Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
4. What does Cassio really want after his hired help is mocked by the clown?
5. What does Cassio do to cheer himself up after being punished by Othello for his brawl in the street?
6. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
7. What does Othello do when he sees Cassio's deplorable behavior on his first night in Cyprus?
8. How does the Duke of Cyprus feel about Othello?
9. Why is Othello at the inn when he receives the summons from the Duke?
10. Why is Othello so happy to see Desdemona when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)