|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Othello act while Brabantio is accusing him of such horrible things at the inn?
(a) He is patient and understanding.
(b) He is not at all surprised and acts as if he were expecting this.
(c) He is scared and tries to run.
(d) He is angry and offended.
2. How did Desdemona first meet Othello?
(a) She met him at the market place.
(b) He saved her from bandits on the road.
(c) Her father invited him over for dinner to tell his tales of war.
(d) He saw her and admired her beauty, so he appraoched her on the street.
3. What does the Duke order Othello to do before hearing what Brabantio has to say?
(a) Depart to spy on the Turks.
(b) Await his trial time in the jail.
(c) Take an oath of honesty.
(d) Leave to fight the Ottomans.
4. Why does Iago think he should have been promoted instead of Cassio?
(a) Cassio has a criminal record.
(b) Cassio is known for having a drinking and gambling problem.
(c) Cassio has no real military experience.
(d) Iago has seniority.
5. After Othello sets Iago and Cassio on the watch, who does he leave with on his first night in Cyprus?
(b) A dancer.
(d) The Duke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Desdemona's marriage?
2. What is the name of the Duke of Cyprus?
3. Who does Iago tell Cassio to confer with about finding forgiveness from Othello after his brawl in the street?
4. Where does Iago tell the search party for Desdemona to meet him after they hear news of her elopement?
5. What does Iago think of a woman's opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Othello compare Montano and Cassio to Turks on their first night in Cyrpus?
2. How does Brabantio think Othello got Desdemona to marry him?
3. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. When we first see Iago speaking with Othello, what does Iago claim to not be?
5. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
6. What is Iago's description of the perfect woman?
7. Why does Cassio refuse to drink the wine offered him by Iago when they are both on watch on their first night in Cyprus?
8. Why is Cassio so worried about Othello when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
9. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
10. What is the celebration in Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)