|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the literary function of the Clown in this play?
(a) To provide ironic situations.
(b) To relay important messages.
(c) To tell the history.
(d) To provide comic relief.
2. What does Iago plan to do to get revenge on Othello?
(a) Spread rumors about Cassio.
(b) Sleep with Desdemona.
(c) Get him run out of town because of his race.
(d) Pretend to be his servant to get information.
3. What does the Duke of Cyprus praise about Othello before he comes ashore in Cyprus?
(a) His love.
(b) His courage.
(c) His creativity.
(d) His style.
4. What does Brabantio find that convinces him his daughter really has escaped to get married?
(a) A note.
(b) A receipt for a carriage.
(c) A marriage license.
(d) Her empty bed.
5. Who is the main figure in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the messengers who summons Othello while he is talking to Iago of his love for Desdemona?
2. What are Iago and Roderigo discussing as the first scene opens?
3. How does Iago plan to ruin Othello's marriage?
4. Who does Montano want to report to Othello for behavior unbecoming of an officer on the first night in Cyprus?
5. Who pretends to help Cassio after his embarrassing street brawl the night before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Brabantio so mad at Othello?
2. What does Cassio really want after his hired help is mocked by the clown?
3. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading for Cyprus?
4. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
5. Why is Othello so torn about firing Cassio?
6. How did Othello and Desdemona meet?
7. What does Desdemona say when she takes the stand at Othello's trial?
8. What does Cassio do to cheer himself up after being punished by Othello for his brawl in the street?
9. Why is Cassio so worried about Othello when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
10. What does Othello do when he sees Cassio's deplorable behavior on his first night in Cyprus?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)