|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brabantio think will happen once he presents his case against Othello at the Duke's house?
(a) Brabantio fears that Othello will bewitch them just as he has Desdemona.
(b) Brabantio thinks the Senate will agree with him.
(c) Brabantio knows the Duke was in love with Desdemona, so the Duke will side with him.
(d) Brabantio fears that the Duke will side with Othello.
2. How does Iago plan to ruin Othello's marriage?
(a) Frame Othello for a murder.
(b) Make Othello cheat on Desdemona.
(c) Make Othello think that Desdemona is unfaithful.
(d) Woo Desdemona himself.
3. Who does Iago reveal his entire plan to after everyone else leaves the Duke's court in Cyprus?
(a) The audience.
(d) The Duke.
4. What is Roderigo's first step toward revenge against Othello when he hears of their marriage?
(a) He tells a policeman to arrest Othello.
(b) He plots with Iago to frame Othello for infidelity.
(c) He pays a man to kill Othello.
(d) He tells Brabantio.
5. What is the literary function of the Clown in this play?
(a) To relay important messages.
(b) To tell the history.
(c) To provide ironic situations.
(d) To provide comic relief.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what account does Brabantio want to arrest Othello?
2. Who sent the messengers who summon Othello while he is talking to Iago if his love for Desdemona?
3. Who is Brabantio referring to when he says, "It would have been better if she had married even you."
4. What does Roderigo want to do after the trial is over and the marriage was declared legitimate?
5. Who does Cassio hear is already pleading his case with Othello the morning after his embarrassing street brawl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duke of Cyprus feel about Othello?
2. What do Othello, Lodovico, Desdemona and Emilia all do together after dinner?
3. Who told Iago to kill Cassio?
4. Who are Cassio and Iago talking about while Othello thinks they are discussing Desdemona?
5. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
6. What does Cassio really want after his hired help is mocked by the clown?
7. What are Desdemona's last words?
8. What part did Cassio play in Othello and Desdemona's courtship?
9. What question does Desdemona ask Emilia that proves her innocence and naivete?
10. Why is Othello so torn about firing Cassio?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)