|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Cassio and Iago discuss while they are on watch together their first night in Cyprus?
(a) How sweet the marriage between Othello and Desdemona is.
(b) How lovely Desdemona is.
(c) How much they admire Othello.
(d) How much they hate Othello.
2. How does Iago plan to ruin Othello's marriage?
(a) Make Othello cheat on Desdemona.
(b) Woo Desdemona himself.
(c) Make Othello think that Desdemona is unfaithful.
(d) Frame Othello for a murder.
3. While talking to Othello in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Iago pretend that he does not like to do?
(a) Tell lies.
(b) Take orders.
(c) Give orders.
(d) Kill men.
4. What is the shortest scene in the book?
(a) Act 2, Scene 2.
(b) Act 3, Scene 1.
(c) Act 2, Scene 3.
(d) Act 1, Scene 4.
5. To what genre is this play categorized?
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A drama.
(c) A comedy.
(d) A romance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cassio hire to cheer himself up after his embarrassment on his first night in Cyrpus?
2. What does Iago plan to do to get revenge on Othello?
3. What is Cassio's opinion of Iago at the beginning of Act 3?
4. Why does Iago think he should have been promoted instead of Cassio?
5. When Othello is questioned at the inn, what reason does he give for marrying Desdemona?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Othello do when he sees Cassio's deplorable behavior on his first night in Cyprus?
2. Why is Othello so torn about firing Cassio?
3. What does the message contain that Othello sends out in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does the Duke decide to do after he has heard Othello and Brabantio's sides of the case against Othello?
5. What does Iago tell Montano about Cassio on his first night in Cyprus?
6. What does Emilia tell Cassio when he asks her to put in a good word for him with Desdemona?
7. How did Othello and Desdemona meet?
8. What does Cassio do to cheer himself up after being punished by Othello for his brawl in the street?
9. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading for Cyprus?
10. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)