|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cassio ask Bianca to leave so soon after meeting him at Othello's home?
(a) He does not want to be seen in public with her.
(b) He does not want Bianca to see him with Desdemona.
(c) Her presence will not help his case with Othello.
(d) He does not want Desdemona to get jealous.
2. Who is NOT present during the walk after dinner?
3. What are Desdemona and Cassio talking about right before Othello leaves?
(a) News from Venice.
(b) Having an affair.
(c) A way to get Cassio back into Othello's good graces.
(d) Finding Cassio a new position now that he has been fired.
4. Why does Cassio exit the room so quickly when Othello enters the room right before his departure?
(a) Iago enters with Othello, and Cassio distrusts Iago.
(b) He was just discussing an affair with his wife.
(c) He is supposed to be at the courthouse.
(d) He is nervous to be around Othello who is so angry with him.
5. What does Iago do when he sees Cassio exit so quickly when he and Othello enter the room?
(a) He begins to plant seeds of doubt in Othello's mind.
(b) He cries out for Cassio to return.
(c) He laughs at Cassio's cowardice.
(d) He exults over his power of manipulation.
6. What does Emilia tell Desdemona about jealousy after Othello leaves in a huff?
(a) It always works itself out in the end.
(b) That it needs no cause because it feeds upon itself.
(c) It will destroy her and everyone she holds dear.
(d) It is too powerful for a woman to combat.
7. What does Iago want to happen at the beginning of Act 5?
(a) He wants Roderigo and Cassio to kill each other.
(b) He wants Othello to believe his lie and become enraged.
(c) He wants Roderigo to be arrested for the murder of Cassio.
(d) He wants Othello to be arrested and killed for Desdemona's murder.
8. What does Othello do to get Desdemona to use her handkerchief while she is waiting for Cassio?
(a) Cough a great deal.
(b) Ask kindly for it.
(c) Pretend to have watery eyes.
9. In her conversation with Cassio right before Othello leaves, what does Desdemona say she will make Othello's every moment about?
(a) Iago and his honesty.
(b) Herself and her purity.
(c) Cassio and his faithfulness.
(d) The Duke and his lusty advances.
10. What does Desdemona call Iago while she is talking with Cassio right before Othello leaves?
(a) A pompous fool.
(b) An honest fellow.
(c) A snake in the grass.
(d) A faithful servant.
11. Who is the only character who is not being manipulated by Iago?
12. Who becomes overwrought when seeing Cassio's wounds?
(a) The Duke's wife.
13. Who stood up for Othello when Desdemona spoke ill of him while Othello was still trying to woo her?
14. Who is with Iago at the beginning of Act 5?
15. What does Desdemona tell Othello she was doing right before he came in the room so suddenly?
(a) She was thinking of how much she is going to miss Othello.
(b) She was talking with Emilia.
(c) She was speaking with no one, only waiting for Othello.
(d) She was visiting with Cassio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emilia tell Othello when he asks her about Desdemona's affair?
2. What does Othello ask Iago to watch for while Othello is away on his errand?
3. What does Iago plan to do while Othello is gone?
4. What does Desdemona know for certain as she readies herself for bed?
5. Whose fault does Emilia say it is when wives cheat?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)