|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cassio's opinion of Iago at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) He believes Iago is kind and unintelligent.
(b) He believes Iago is honest and pure.
(c) He believes Iago is treacherous and evil.
(d) He believes Iago is honorable and humble.
2. While talking to Othello in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Iago pretend that he does not like to do?
(a) Tell lies.
(b) Take orders.
(c) Kill men.
(d) Give orders.
3. What does Brabantio think will happen once he presents his case against Othello at the Duke's house?
(a) Brabantio fears that Othello will bewitch them just as he has Desdemona.
(b) Brabantio thinks the Senate will agree with him.
(c) Brabantio knows the Duke was in love with Desdemona, so the Duke will side with him.
(d) Brabantio fears that the Duke will side with Othello.
4. While speaking with Iago in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Othello say he would never give up for Desdemona?
(a) His military status.
(b) His virtue.
(d) His social reputation.
5. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading towards Cyprus?
(a) A mutinous attack.
(b) A hidden coral reef.
(c) A storm.
(d) Othello's crew.
6. How does Cassio greet Iago's wife when they enter the Duke of Cyprus's court?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He embraces her.
(c) He bows to her.
(d) He kisses her.
7. How do Iago and Roderigo wake up Brabantio to tell him of the marriage?
(a) They sneak into his bedroom.
(b) They rush into the house after the doorman opens the door.
(c) They knock on the door.
(d) They knock on his window while he is sleeping.
8. Who does Othello compare Cassio to when he sees Cassio fighting?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Devil.
(c) The Heathens.
(d) The Moors.
9. What is Cassio most worried about after his punishment?
(a) The drop in pay.
(b) Desdemona's opinion of him.
(c) The expensive clothes that were ruined in the brawl.
(d) The loss of his reputation.
10. What are Iago and Roderigo discussing as the first scene opens?
(a) Iago's wife and her treachery.
(b) The marriage of Othello and Desdemona.
(c) The status of the war.
(d) The gossip of the town.
11. Who has declared the big event for Act 2, Scene 2?
(b) The Duke of Cyprus.
(d) The Duke of Venice.
12. How does Iago plan to ruin Othello's marriage?
(a) Make Othello think that Desdemona is unfaithful.
(b) Woo Desdemona himself.
(c) Frame Othello for a murder.
(d) Make Othello cheat on Desdemona.
13. Why does Iago think he should have been promoted instead of Cassio?
(a) Cassio has no real military experience.
(b) Cassio has a criminal record.
(c) Cassio is known for having a drinking and gambling problem.
(d) Iago has seniority.
14. What does Iago plan to tell Othello once he is in Cyprus with him?
(a) That Cassio and Desdemona are having an affair.
(b) That Cassio does not deserve his promotion.
(c) That Roderigo is in love with Desdemona.
(d) That the Duke wants him to return to Venice.
15. How is Brabantio related to Desdemona?
(a) He is her father.
(b) He is her grandfather.
(c) He is her uncle.
(d) He is her godfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Montano want to report to Othello for behavior unbecoming of an officer on the first night in Cyprus?
2. How did Desdemona and Othello spend their time when they were falling in love before their marriage?
3. Who does Cassio fight with on his first night in Cyprus?
4. When Othello is questioned at the inn, what reason does he give for marrying Desdemona?
5. To what genre is this play categorized?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)