|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Othello do to punish Cassio for his fighting?
(a) Beats him publicly.
(b) Strips him of his title.
(c) Chides him publicly.
(d) Has him arrested.
2. What does the Duke of Cyprus praise about Othello before he comes ashore in Cyprus?
(a) His creativity.
(b) His style.
(c) His love.
(d) His courage.
3. Who makes rude comments to the group that Cassio hired to cheer himself up?
(a) A beggar boy.
(b) The clown.
(c) A musician.
(d) A lord.
4. What does Iago tell Roderigo to do during the first night they are in Cyprus?
(a) Spread ugly rumors of Othello.
(b) Anger Cassio.
(c) Get Cassio drunk.
(d) Take advantage of Desdemona.
5. What fault in Othello does Iago plan to use to go about destroying Othello's marriage?
(a) His lusty past.
(b) His dishonesty.
(c) His arrogance.
(d) His jealousy.
6. How did Desdemona first meet Othello?
(a) She met him at the market place.
(b) He saw her and admired her beauty, so he appraoched her on the street.
(c) He saved her from bandits on the road.
(d) Her father invited him over for dinner to tell his tales of war.
7. To what genre is this play categorized?
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A romance.
(c) A comedy.
(d) A drama.
8. What do Cassio and Iago discuss while they are on watch together their first night in Cyprus?
(a) How sweet the marriage between Othello and Desdemona is.
(b) How much they admire Othello.
(c) How lovely Desdemona is.
(d) How much they hate Othello.
9. Who does Iago notice doting on Desdemona while in the court of the Duke of Cyprus?
(a) A messenger.
(d) The Duke.
10. Who does Iago reveal his entire plan to after everyone else leaves the Duke's court in Cyprus?
(a) The audience.
(b) The Duke.
11. Where is Iago from?
12. How does Igao comfort Roderigo after the trial is over and the marriage is declared legitimate?
(a) Assures Roderigo that the couple will tire of each other soon.
(b) Lists all of Desdemona's faults.
(c) Points out that Desdemona has a beautiful sister.
(d) Encourages him to find a new love.
13. How did Desdemona and Othello spend their time when they were falling in love before their marriage?
14. How does Othello really feel about Cassio, even after his brawl in the street?
(a) He loves Cassio and wants him back in his service.
(b) He is embarassed by Cassio and never wants to see him again.
(c) He is ashamed of Cassio but thinks he has learned his lesson.
(d) He is jealous of Cassio and his easy way with women.
15. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
(a) He promoted Cassio instead of Iago.
(b) He married Desdemona.
(c) He slept with his wife.
(d) He is a moor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brabantio do when he hears that Desdemona really does love Othello?
2. How does Cassio describe Desdemona to the Duke of Cyprus?
3. Who is awakened by the noise that Roderigo causes during the brawl in the street?
4. What is the Duke discussing when he is first seen in the play?
5. What is Roderigo's first step toward revenge against Othello when he hears of their marriage?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)