|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Othello do to punish Cassio for his fighting?
(a) Strips him of his title.
(b) Chides him publicly.
(c) Has him arrested.
(d) Beats him publicly.
2. Who is Cassio most worried about when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
3. How is Brabantio related to Desdemona?
(a) He is her uncle.
(b) He is her grandfather.
(c) He is her godfather.
(d) He is her father.
4. Who is one of the messengers who summons Othello while he is talking to Iago of his love for Desdemona?
(d) General Stringham.
5. To what genre is this play categorized?
(a) A comedy.
(b) A drama.
(c) A romance.
(d) A tragedy.
6. What drives the plot of this play?
(a) The whims of the narrator.
(b) The choices of the characters.
(c) The crises of the society.
(d) The historical events.
7. How does Othello really feel about Cassio, even after his brawl in the street?
(a) He is ashamed of Cassio but thinks he has learned his lesson.
(b) He loves Cassio and wants him back in his service.
(c) He is embarassed by Cassio and never wants to see him again.
(d) He is jealous of Cassio and his easy way with women.
8. What does Brabantio find that convinces him his daughter really has escaped to get married?
(a) Her empty bed.
(b) A note.
(c) A receipt for a carriage.
(d) A marriage license.
9. Who does Cassio fight with on his first night in Cyprus?
10. Who is Brabantio referring to when he says, "It would have been better if she had married even you."
11. While talking to Othello in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Iago pretend that he does not like to do?
(a) Kill men.
(b) Give orders.
(c) Tell lies.
(d) Take orders.
12. Who does Cassio hear is already pleading his case with Othello the morning after his embarrassing street brawl?
(d) The Duke.
13. What is the big event of Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
(a) Othello and Desdemona's marriage.
(b) The Turks who have tried to invade.
(c) The capture of a Turkish spy.
(d) The victory over the Turks.
14. Who does Cassio hire to cheer himself up after his embarrassment on his first night in Cyrpus?
(a) Some musicians.
(b) Some dancers.
(c) Some servants.
(d) Some stylists.
15. What are Iago and Roderigo discussing as the first scene opens?
(a) The gossip of the town.
(b) The marriage of Othello and Desdemona.
(c) Iago's wife and her treachery.
(d) The status of the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iago plan to tell Othello once he is in Cyprus with him?
2. What is announced in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. After Othello sets Iago and Cassio on the watch, who does he leave with on his first night in Cyprus?
4. What does the Duke order Othello to do before hearing what Brabantio has to say?
5. How did Desdemona first meet Othello?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)