|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Iago from?
2. What drives the plot of this play?
(a) The crises of the society.
(b) The choices of the characters.
(c) The whims of the narrator.
(d) The historical events.
3. How does Othello really feel about Cassio, even after his brawl in the street?
(a) He is jealous of Cassio and his easy way with women.
(b) He loves Cassio and wants him back in his service.
(c) He is ashamed of Cassio but thinks he has learned his lesson.
(d) He is embarassed by Cassio and never wants to see him again.
4. What is Cassio most worried about after his punishment?
(a) The expensive clothes that were ruined in the brawl.
(b) The loss of his reputation.
(c) Desdemona's opinion of him.
(d) The drop in pay.
5. After Othello sets Iago and Cassio on the watch, who does he leave with on his first night in Cyprus?
(b) A dancer.
(c) The Duke.
6. Who sent the messengers who summon Othello while he is talking to Iago if his love for Desdemona?
(a) General Stringham.
(d) The Duke.
7. What is the Duke discussing when he is first seen in the play?
(a) His wife's sickness.
(b) The Tukish fleet and their destination.
(c) Brabantio's accusation of Othello.
(d) Othello's marriage.
8. Where does Iago tell the search party for Desdemona to meet him after they hear news of her elopement?
(a) The inn.
(b) Brabantio's house.
(c) The town square.
(d) Othello's house.
9. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Desdemona's marriage?
(a) He hates Othello.
(b) He loves Desdemona.
(c) He wants his son to marry Desdemona.
(d) He lost a bet.
10. Why does Iago think he should have been promoted instead of Cassio?
(a) Cassio is known for having a drinking and gambling problem.
(b) Cassio has a criminal record.
(c) Cassio has no real military experience.
(d) Iago has seniority.
11. Who makes rude comments to the group that Cassio hired to cheer himself up?
(a) A beggar boy.
(b) A musician.
(c) A lord.
(d) The clown.
12. What does Brabantio do when he hears that Desdemona really does love Othello?
(a) He attacks Othello.
(b) He slaps her and spits on her in public.
(c) He embraces his new son.
(d) He disowns her.
13. What is the shortest scene in the book?
(a) Act 2, Scene 3.
(b) Act 3, Scene 1.
(c) Act 1, Scene 4.
(d) Act 2, Scene 2.
14. What do Cassio and Iago discuss while they are on watch together their first night in Cyprus?
(a) How lovely Desdemona is.
(b) How much they hate Othello.
(c) How much they admire Othello.
(d) How sweet the marriage between Othello and Desdemona is.
15. How does Desdemona feel about Iago's description of the perfect woman?
(a) It describes herself to a tee.
(b) It is kind and sweet.
(c) It is more thoughtful than she would have expected.
(d) It is irrational and sexist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading towards Cyprus?
2. What does Iago tell Cassio is the reason for Othello being at the inn?
3. Who does Cassio hire to cheer himself up after his embarrassment on his first night in Cyrpus?
4. What does Iago mock about his wife after Cassio greets her in the court of the Duke of Cyprus?
5. What does Brabantio think will happen once he presents his case against Othello at the Duke's house?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)