|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cassio call himself after he has been punished for his brawl in the street of Cyprus?
(a) No more than a man.
(b) A fool.
(c) A beggar.
(d) A beast.
2. During their discussion while on watch together, what does Iago urge Cassio to do?
(a) Pursue Desdemona.
(b) Drink some wine.
(c) Report Roderigo for behavior unbecoming of an officer.
(d) Gamble his salary.
3. How does Cassio greet Iago's wife when they enter the Duke of Cyprus's court?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He embraces her.
(c) He bows to her.
(d) He kisses her.
4. When Othello is questioned at the inn, what reason does he give for marrying Desdemona?
(a) She is very beautiful.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He has had a vision about her.
(d) She has a lot of money.
5. Who does Othello put in charge of restoring order after Cassio's brawl in the street of Cyprus?
(b) The Duke.
6. What are Iago and Roderigo discussing as the first scene opens?
(a) Iago's wife and her treachery.
(b) The gossip of the town.
(c) The marriage of Othello and Desdemona.
(d) The status of the war.
7. Where does Iago tell the search party for Desdemona to meet him after they hear news of her elopement?
(a) Othello's house.
(b) The inn.
(c) The town square.
(d) Brabantio's house.
8. What does the Duke of Cyprus praise about Othello before he comes ashore in Cyprus?
(a) His courage.
(b) His creativity.
(c) His style.
(d) His love.
9. What does Iago plan to do to get revenge on Othello?
(a) Spread rumors about Cassio.
(b) Get him run out of town because of his race.
(c) Sleep with Desdemona.
(d) Pretend to be his servant to get information.
10. Who is Cassio most worried about when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
11. What is Cassio's opinion of Iago at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) He believes Iago is treacherous and evil.
(b) He believes Iago is kind and unintelligent.
(c) He believes Iago is honest and pure.
(d) He believes Iago is honorable and humble.
12. What is the shortest scene in the book?
(a) Act 1, Scene 4.
(b) Act 3, Scene 1.
(c) Act 2, Scene 3.
(d) Act 2, Scene 2.
13. Who sent the messengers who summon Othello while he is talking to Iago if his love for Desdemona?
(a) The Duke.
(c) General Stringham.
14. What drives the plot of this play?
(a) The whims of the narrator.
(b) The historical events.
(c) The crises of the society.
(d) The choices of the characters.
15. Who is ordered to attend Desdemona on her journey to Cyprus?
(b) Iago and his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
2. Who does Cassio hear is already pleading his case with Othello the morning after his embarrassing street brawl?
3. How is Brabantio related to Desdemona?
4. On what account does Brabantio want to arrest Othello?
5. What is the literary function of the Clown in this play?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)