|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Roderigo so unhappy about Desdemona's marriage?
(a) He lost a bet.
(b) He wants his son to marry Desdemona.
(c) He hates Othello.
(d) He loves Desdemona.
2. What is the literary function of the Clown in this play?
(a) To tell the history.
(b) To provide ironic situations.
(c) To provide comic relief.
(d) To relay important messages.
3. Who seems to be the only man of stature and honor in the room while Brabantio is raving in the inn?
4. Who does Cassio want to have put in a good word for him with Desdemona the morning after his street brawl?
(a) The Duke.
5. What does the Duke do after hearing both Brabantio and Othello's sides of the story?
(a) Hear Desdemona's version of the story.
(b) Allow Othello to go free.
(c) Arrest Brabantio for his outrageous accusation.
(d) Test Desdemona for signs of having been bewitched.
6. Who is ordered to attend Desdemona on her journey to Cyprus?
(c) Iago and his wife.
7. What is Roderigo's first step toward revenge against Othello when he hears of their marriage?
(a) He tells a policeman to arrest Othello.
(b) He tells Brabantio.
(c) He pays a man to kill Othello.
(d) He plots with Iago to frame Othello for infidelity.
8. What does Iago plan to tell Othello once he is in Cyprus with him?
(a) That Cassio does not deserve his promotion.
(b) That Cassio and Desdemona are having an affair.
(c) That the Duke wants him to return to Venice.
(d) That Roderigo is in love with Desdemona.
9. What does Brabantio do when he hears that Desdemona really does love Othello?
(a) He slaps her and spits on her in public.
(b) He embraces his new son.
(c) He attacks Othello.
(d) He disowns her.
10. How is Brabantio related to Desdemona?
(a) He is her godfather.
(b) He is her father.
(c) He is her uncle.
(d) He is her grandfather.
11. To what genre is this play categorized?
(a) A romance.
(b) A comedy.
(c) A drama.
(d) A tragedy.
12. Who does Iago tell Cassio to confer with about finding forgiveness from Othello after his brawl in the street?
(c) The Duke.
13. How does Othello really feel about Cassio, even after his brawl in the street?
(a) He is ashamed of Cassio but thinks he has learned his lesson.
(b) He is jealous of Cassio and his easy way with women.
(c) He is embarassed by Cassio and never wants to see him again.
(d) He loves Cassio and wants him back in his service.
14. Why does Iago think he should have been promoted instead of Cassio?
(a) Cassio has no real military experience.
(b) Cassio is known for having a drinking and gambling problem.
(c) Cassio has a criminal record.
(d) Iago has seniority.
15. Who does Othello compare Cassio to when he sees Cassio fighting?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Moors.
(c) The Devil.
(d) The Heathens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iago notice doting on Desdemona while in the court of the Duke of Cyprus?
2. Who makes rude comments to the group that Cassio hired to cheer himself up?
3. How do Iago and Roderigo wake up Brabantio to tell him of the marriage?
4. On what account does Brabantio want to arrest Othello?
5. What does Iago tell Roderigo to do during the first night they are in Cyprus?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)