|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the big event of Act 2, Scene 2 in honor of?
(a) Othello and Desdemona's marriage.
(b) The capture of a Turkish spy.
(c) The victory over the Turks.
(d) The Turks who have tried to invade.
2. What is the shortest scene in the book?
(a) Act 1, Scene 4.
(b) Act 2, Scene 3.
(c) Act 2, Scene 2.
(d) Act 3, Scene 1.
3. How does Cassio greet Iago's wife when they enter the Duke of Cyprus's court?
(a) He embraces her.
(b) He bows to her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He kisses her.
4. What are Iago and Roderigo discussing as the first scene opens?
(a) The status of the war.
(b) Iago's wife and her treachery.
(c) The marriage of Othello and Desdemona.
(d) The gossip of the town.
5. Why is Cassio so hesitant to do what Iago is pressuring him to do?
(a) He has lost a fortune to gambling.
(b) He does not hold his liquor well.
(c) Roderigo is his good friend.
(d) He knows that pursuing a married woman is wrong.
6. Why does Brabantio think Othello has the power of bewitchment?
(a) This is widely rumored about Othello.
(b) Iago told him this.
(c) He is a moor.
(d) He has seen Othello do it to others.
7. Who pretends to help Cassio after his embarrassing street brawl the night before?
(a) The Duke.
8. How does Igao comfort Roderigo after the trial is over and the marriage is declared legitimate?
(a) Encourages him to find a new love.
(b) Points out that Desdemona has a beautiful sister.
(c) Lists all of Desdemona's faults.
(d) Assures Roderigo that the couple will tire of each other soon.
9. Who does Iago reveal his entire plan to after everyone else leaves the Duke's court in Cyprus?
(a) The audience.
(d) The Duke.
10. Who has declared the big event for Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The Duke of Venice.
(b) The Duke of Cyprus.
11. Who does Cassio fight with on his first night in Cyprus?
12. Who does Cassio want to have put in a good word for him with Desdemona the morning after his street brawl?
(b) The Duke.
13. While talking to Othello in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Iago pretend that he does not like to do?
(a) Take orders.
(b) Give orders.
(c) Kill men.
(d) Tell lies.
14. How does Othello act while Brabantio is accusing him of such horrible things at the inn?
(a) He is patient and understanding.
(b) He is not at all surprised and acts as if he were expecting this.
(c) He is scared and tries to run.
(d) He is angry and offended.
15. What does Iago plan to do to get revenge on Othello?
(a) Spread rumors about Cassio.
(b) Sleep with Desdemona.
(c) Pretend to be his servant to get information.
(d) Get him run out of town because of his race.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cassio's opinion of Iago at the beginning of Act 3?
2. Who is one of the messengers who summons Othello while he is talking to Iago of his love for Desdemona?
3. What is the Duke discussing when he is first seen in the play?
4. What is announced in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does the Duke do after hearing both Brabantio and Othello's sides of the story?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)