|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke order Othello to do before hearing what Brabantio has to say?
(a) Depart to spy on the Turks.
(b) Leave to fight the Ottomans.
(c) Await his trial time in the jail.
(d) Take an oath of honesty.
2. How did Desdemona and Othello spend their time when they were falling in love before their marriage?
3. Who makes rude comments to the group that Cassio hired to cheer himself up?
(a) A lord.
(b) The clown.
(c) A musician.
(d) A beggar boy.
4. How do Iago and Roderigo wake up Brabantio to tell him of the marriage?
(a) They knock on the door.
(b) They knock on his window while he is sleeping.
(c) They sneak into his bedroom.
(d) They rush into the house after the doorman opens the door.
5. While speaking with Iago in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Othello say he would never give up for Desdemona?
(a) His social reputation.
(b) His virtue.
(d) His military status.
6. How does Igao comfort Roderigo after the trial is over and the marriage is declared legitimate?
(a) Lists all of Desdemona's faults.
(b) Points out that Desdemona has a beautiful sister.
(c) Encourages him to find a new love.
(d) Assures Roderigo that the couple will tire of each other soon.
7. What does Iago mock about his wife after Cassio greets her in the court of the Duke of Cyprus?
(a) Her lack of stylish clothing.
(b) Her weight.
(c) Her constant talking.
(d) Her stupidity.
8. Who does Montano want to report to Othello for behavior unbecoming of an officer on the first night in Cyprus?
9. Where does Iago tell the search party for Desdemona to meet him after they hear news of her elopement?
(a) The town square.
(b) Othello's house.
(c) Brabantio's house.
(d) The inn.
10. What does Iago tell Cassio is the reason for Othello being at the inn?
(a) Othello wanted a drink with friends.
(b) Othellos is married.
(c) Othello is getting ready to travel.
(d) Othello is running from the law.
11. What is the Duke discussing when he is first seen in the play?
(a) Brabantio's accusation of Othello.
(b) Othello's marriage.
(c) His wife's sickness.
(d) The Tukish fleet and their destination.
12. What does Brabantio do when he hears that Desdemona really does love Othello?
(a) He slaps her and spits on her in public.
(b) He disowns her.
(c) He attacks Othello.
(d) He embraces his new son.
13. Why is Cassio so hesitant to do what Iago is pressuring him to do?
(a) Roderigo is his good friend.
(b) He knows that pursuing a married woman is wrong.
(c) He does not hold his liquor well.
(d) He has lost a fortune to gambling.
14. How does Cassio describe Desdemona to the Duke of Cyprus?
(a) She is a gold digger looking for wealth and power.
(b) She is crafty and conniving as evidenced by her elopement.
(c) She is too wonderful for poets to describe.
(d) She is simple and sweet.
15. What does Iago plan to do to get revenge on Othello?
(a) Sleep with Desdemona.
(b) Get him run out of town because of his race.
(c) Spread rumors about Cassio.
(d) Pretend to be his servant to get information.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has declared the big event for Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How does Iago plan to ruin Othello's marriage?
3. What fault in Othello does Iago plan to use to go about destroying Othello's marriage?
4. To what genre is this play categorized?
5. Who is ordered to attend Desdemona on her journey to Cyprus?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)