|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Brabantio related to Desdemona?
(a) He is her uncle.
(b) He is her godfather.
(c) He is her grandfather.
(d) He is her father.
2. What are Iago and Roderigo discussing as the first scene opens?
(a) The status of the war.
(b) The marriage of Othello and Desdemona.
(c) The gossip of the town.
(d) Iago's wife and her treachery.
3. What do Othello and Desdemona do when they meet each other in Cyprus?
(a) Blush and act embarrassed.
(b) Chide each other for scaring the other.
(c) Kiss passionately.
(d) Embrace warmly.
4. To what genre is this play categorized?
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A drama.
(c) A comedy.
(d) A romance.
5. After Othello sets Iago and Cassio on the watch, who does he leave with on his first night in Cyprus?
(c) The Duke.
(d) A dancer.
6. How does Igao comfort Roderigo after the trial is over and the marriage is declared legitimate?
(a) Encourages him to find a new love.
(b) Points out that Desdemona has a beautiful sister.
(c) Lists all of Desdemona's faults.
(d) Assures Roderigo that the couple will tire of each other soon.
7. Who is one of the messengers who summons Othello while he is talking to Iago of his love for Desdemona?
(b) General Stringham.
8. Why is Cassio so hesitant to do what Iago is pressuring him to do?
(a) He does not hold his liquor well.
(b) Roderigo is his good friend.
(c) He knows that pursuing a married woman is wrong.
(d) He has lost a fortune to gambling.
9. What destroyed the Turkish ships that were heading towards Cyprus?
(a) A mutinous attack.
(b) Othello's crew.
(c) A storm.
(d) A hidden coral reef.
10. What fault in Othello does Iago plan to use to go about destroying Othello's marriage?
(a) His arrogance.
(b) His jealousy.
(c) His dishonesty.
(d) His lusty past.
11. What does Brabantio do when he hears that Desdemona really does love Othello?
(a) He disowns her.
(b) He attacks Othello.
(c) He slaps her and spits on her in public.
(d) He embraces his new son.
12. How did Desdemona first meet Othello?
(a) She met him at the market place.
(b) He saw her and admired her beauty, so he appraoched her on the street.
(c) He saved her from bandits on the road.
(d) Her father invited him over for dinner to tell his tales of war.
13. Why does Iago think he should have been promoted instead of Cassio?
(a) Cassio has a criminal record.
(b) Iago has seniority.
(c) Cassio has no real military experience.
(d) Cassio is known for having a drinking and gambling problem.
14. What does Iago tell Cassio is the reason for Othello being at the inn?
(a) Othello wanted a drink with friends.
(b) Othellos is married.
(c) Othello is running from the law.
(d) Othello is getting ready to travel.
15. Who is Cassio most worried about when he comes ashore in Cyprus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Duke of Cyprus?
2. Where does Othello go after his discussion with Brabantio at the inn?
3. On what account does Brabantio want to arrest Othello?
4. Who does Iago reveal his entire plan to after everyone else leaves the Duke's court in Cyprus?
5. Who does Iago tell Cassio to confer with about finding forgiveness from Othello after his brawl in the street?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)