|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Iago and Roderigo discussing as the first scene opens?
(a) The status of the war.
(b) The gossip of the town.
(c) The marriage of Othello and Desdemona.
(d) Iago's wife and her treachery.
2. Where is Iago from?
3. Who does Cassio want to have put in a good word for him with Desdemona the morning after his street brawl?
(a) The Duke.
4. While speaking with Iago in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Othello say he would never give up for Desdemona?
(a) His military status.
(b) His virtue.
(c) His social reputation.
5. What do Othello and Desdemona do when they meet each other in Cyprus?
(a) Chide each other for scaring the other.
(b) Embrace warmly.
(c) Blush and act embarrassed.
(d) Kiss passionately.
6. Who does Cassio fight with on his first night in Cyprus?
7. How does Igao comfort Roderigo after the trial is over and the marriage is declared legitimate?
(a) Points out that Desdemona has a beautiful sister.
(b) Encourages him to find a new love.
(c) Assures Roderigo that the couple will tire of each other soon.
(d) Lists all of Desdemona's faults.
8. Who is awakened by the noise that Roderigo causes during the brawl in the street?
(a) The Duke.
(d) The Duke's wife.
9. How do Iago and Roderigo wake up Brabantio to tell him of the marriage?
(a) They rush into the house after the doorman opens the door.
(b) They knock on his window while he is sleeping.
(c) They sneak into his bedroom.
(d) They knock on the door.
10. How does Cassio describe Desdemona to the Duke of Cyprus?
(a) She is too wonderful for poets to describe.
(b) She is simple and sweet.
(c) She is a gold digger looking for wealth and power.
(d) She is crafty and conniving as evidenced by her elopement.
11. How is Brabantio related to Desdemona?
(a) He is her uncle.
(b) He is her father.
(c) He is her godfather.
(d) He is her grandfather.
12. What is Roderigo's first step toward revenge against Othello when he hears of their marriage?
(a) He tells a policeman to arrest Othello.
(b) He pays a man to kill Othello.
(c) He plots with Iago to frame Othello for infidelity.
(d) He tells Brabantio.
13. What does Brabantio do when he hears that Desdemona really does love Othello?
(a) He disowns her.
(b) He embraces his new son.
(c) He attacks Othello.
(d) He slaps her and spits on her in public.
14. What is the name of Iago's wife?
15. Who does Othello put in charge of restoring order after Cassio's brawl in the street of Cyprus?
(a) The Duke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes rude comments to the group that Cassio hired to cheer himself up?
2. Why is Cassio so hesitant to do what Iago is pressuring him to do?
3. What drives the plot of this play?
4. What does Roderigo want to do after the trial is over and the marriage was declared legitimate?
5. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)