|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Iago and Roderigo discussing as the first scene opens?
(a) The gossip of the town.
(b) The status of the war.
(c) The marriage of Othello and Desdemona.
(d) Iago's wife and her treachery.
2. While talking to Othello in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Iago pretend that he does not like to do?
(a) Tell lies.
(b) Give orders.
(c) Kill men.
(d) Take orders.
3. What does Iago plan to tell Othello once he is in Cyprus with him?
(a) That Cassio does not deserve his promotion.
(b) That the Duke wants him to return to Venice.
(c) That Cassio and Desdemona are having an affair.
(d) That Roderigo is in love with Desdemona.
4. Who does Cassio hear is already pleading his case with Othello the morning after his embarrassing street brawl?
(b) The Duke.
5. Why is Iago so upset with Othello at the beginning of the play?
(a) He slept with his wife.
(b) He promoted Cassio instead of Iago.
(c) He is a moor.
(d) He married Desdemona.
6. What is Cassio most worried about after his punishment?
(a) The loss of his reputation.
(b) The drop in pay.
(c) Desdemona's opinion of him.
(d) The expensive clothes that were ruined in the brawl.
7. When Othello is questioned at the inn, what reason does he give for marrying Desdemona?
(a) He loves her.
(b) She is very beautiful.
(c) He has had a vision about her.
(d) She has a lot of money.
8. Where are the Turks heading at the beginning of the play?
9. What is the literary function of the Clown in this play?
(a) To provide ironic situations.
(b) To relay important messages.
(c) To provide comic relief.
(d) To tell the history.
10. Where is Iago from?
11. What do Othello and Desdemona do when they meet each other in Cyprus?
(a) Kiss passionately.
(b) Embrace warmly.
(c) Blush and act embarrassed.
(d) Chide each other for scaring the other.
12. What does Brabantio think will happen once he presents his case against Othello at the Duke's house?
(a) Brabantio fears that Othello will bewitch them just as he has Desdemona.
(b) Brabantio knows the Duke was in love with Desdemona, so the Duke will side with him.
(c) Brabantio thinks the Senate will agree with him.
(d) Brabantio fears that the Duke will side with Othello.
13. Who does Cassio beg to talk with after his hired group has been sent away the morning after his street brawl?
(a) The Duke.
14. What does Roderigo want to do after the trial is over and the marriage was declared legitimate?
(a) Kill Desdeona.
(b) Kill Othello.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Kill Iago.
15. Who has declared the big event for Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The Duke of Cyprus.
(b) The Duke of Venice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Desdemona first meet Othello?
2. Who does Iago choose to be his main pawn in his plan to get revenge against Othello?
3. On what account does Brabantio want to arrest Othello?
4. Who makes rude comments to the group that Cassio hired to cheer himself up?
5. What does the Duke of Cyprus praise about Othello before he comes ashore in Cyprus?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)