|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde's state of mind in the months after his release from Reading jail?
2. What disturbing scene does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving Reading jail?
3. What was the punishment for homosexuality in England in the late 1800s?
4. Oscar Wilde said that men resemble which celestial body?
5. What was Oscar Wilde's clothing like in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
2. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
3. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
4. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
5. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
6. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
7. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
8. How do conditions change for Oscar Wilde when Major Nelson takes over at Reading jail?
9. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
10. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the social conditions surrounding homosexuality in Oscar Wilde's times? What did his fellow students feel about homosexuality? What did the school authorities feel? What did society feel? Were there different groups among whom homosexuality was more acceptable?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Oscar Wilde's career as a playwright. What kind of plays did he write? What are his plays' themes? Choose three of his plays and describe what they tell us about Wilde's development as a playwright. How do his style and themes change over time?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde was not only homosexual, but openly, even flagrantly homosexual. What explains his openness? What did he gain by it? How did it hurt him personally? How did it affect his career?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)