|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did prison affect Oscar Wilde's view of human nature?
2. What was Oscar Wilde's state of mind in the months after his release from Reading jail?
3. What is Oscar Wilde's relationship with Major Nelson?
4. How did prison affect Oscar Wilde's health?
5. When was Oscar Wilde first released from prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
2. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
3. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
4. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
5. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
6. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
7. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
8. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
9. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
10. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde stated that the work of art requires the destruction of previous works of art. How did he practice this theory in his own art? Can his public persona be considered the work of art that destroyed his plays and poems and his novel?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde's mother urged him to marry a woman with money. Who else made suggestions as to whom Wilde should marry? Was there ever a time when he considered not marrying? Was Wilde's homosexuality an impediment to his marriage? How did he reconcile his homosexuality and his marriage? How did his wife? What trials or difficulties did Wilde's homosexuality present to Wilde and Constance as their marriage changed over time?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde was not only homosexual, but openly, even flagrantly homosexual. What explains his openness? What did he gain by it? How did it hurt him personally? How did it affect his career?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)