|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did prison affect Oscar Wilde's health?
2. Who was Lord Alfred Douglas' father?
3. How did Oscar Wilde set the stage for his own prosecution?
4. Who is Colonel Isaacson?
5. What is the name of the town where Oscar Wilde stayed after leaving Reading jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
2. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
3. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
4. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
5. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
6. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
7. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
8. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
9. How does Lord Alfred Douglas try to help Oscar Wilde while Wilde is in prison?
10. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was not only homosexual, but openly, even flagrantly homosexual. What explains his openness? What did he gain by it? How did it hurt him personally? How did it affect his career?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde came into prominence as a friend and opponent of James McNeill Whistler. Describe how Oscar Wilde used controversy and debate and personal invective to his own purposes. What does Wilde gain from his contests, with Whistler and other critics, and then with the Marquis of Queensberry--as a person? What does he gain as a public personality?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde's mother urged him to marry a woman with money. Who else made suggestions as to whom Wilde should marry? Was there ever a time when he considered not marrying? Was Wilde's homosexuality an impediment to his marriage? How did he reconcile his homosexuality and his marriage? How did his wife? What trials or difficulties did Wilde's homosexuality present to Wilde and Constance as their marriage changed over time?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)