|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Oscar Wilde say about disciples?
2. What disturbing scene does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving Reading jail?
3. What was the consequence of Oscar Wilde's first trial?
4. What caused Oscar Wilde to stop writing?
5. Why was "Salome" not performed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
2. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
3. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
4. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
5. How do Oscar Wilde's aesthetics develop during his time in Paris in 1891?
6. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
7. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
8. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
9. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
10. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was not only homosexual, but openly, even flagrantly homosexual. What explains his openness? What did he gain by it? How did it hurt him personally? How did it affect his career?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde's mother urged him to marry a woman with money. Who else made suggestions as to whom Wilde should marry? Was there ever a time when he considered not marrying? Was Wilde's homosexuality an impediment to his marriage? How did he reconcile his homosexuality and his marriage? How did his wife? What trials or difficulties did Wilde's homosexuality present to Wilde and Constance as their marriage changed over time?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde's parents both espoused Irish independence. How does the Irish cause figure in Oscar Wilde's life? How does he espouse Irish values? Did he become more English than Irish? In what ways did he remain Irish?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)