|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Oscar Wilde alienate people?
2. What was the punishment for homosexuality in England in the late 1800s?
3. In which prison was Oscar Wilde first imprisoned?
4. What is the plot of "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
5. Which of Oscar Wilde's friends tried to discount Wilde's importance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
2. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
3. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
4. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
5. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
6. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
7. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
8. What was the outcome of Oscar Wilde's lawsuit against his lover's father, Lord Queensberry?
9. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
10. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was always extravagant with his money. How does his extravagance fit with his brief, epigrammatic literary style? Is there an aesthetic that unites these two aspects of his personality, or are they simply different sides of the writer's life?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde wrote only one novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray." How is this novel different from his plays and poems? What part of his personality does he express that is not expressed elsewhere? How does his novel resemble his plays and poems? How is it different?
Essay Topic 3
After Oscar Wilde was convicted of homosexuality, his friends urged him to flee to Paris. Why did he not flee? What did he gain by remaining in England and being imprisoned? What did he lose?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)