|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray," received?
2. What was the punishment for homosexuality in England in the late 1800s?
3. What was the possible maximum sentence for the crime Oscar Wilde was arrested for?
4. How secretive was Oscar Wilde about his homosexuality after his children were born?
5. How did prison affect Oscar Wilde's view of human nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde developed an epigrammatic style at Oxford. What is the form and function of an epigram? How does the epigram suit Wilde's style and social role? How does Wilde use epigrams, and how does his epigrammatic wit benefit him? What other styles does he use in addition to the epigram? What purpose do his other styles serve?
Essay Topic 2
At Oxford, Oscar Wilde encountered two philosophers, Ruskin and Pater. How did Ruskin's ideas influence Wilde? How did Pater's? How did Wilde reconcile the tension between the two men's philosophies with his career?
Essay Topic 3
After Oscar Wilde was convicted of homosexuality, his friends urged him to flee to Paris. Why did he not flee? What did he gain by remaining in England and being imprisoned? What did he lose?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)