|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray," received?
2. When did Oscar Wilde return to Paris?
3. What is the name of the play Oscar Wilde wrote upon leaving Reading Gaol?
4. How common was homosexuality in late-Victorian London?
5. How did prison affect Oscar Wilde's health?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
2. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
3. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
4. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
5. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
6. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
7. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
8. How do Oscar Wilde's aesthetics develop during his time in Paris in 1891?
9. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
10. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was always extravagant with his money. How does his extravagance fit with his brief, epigrammatic literary style? Is there an aesthetic that unites these two aspects of his personality, or are they simply different sides of the writer's life?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde was not only homosexual, but openly, even flagrantly homosexual. What explains his openness? What did he gain by it? How did it hurt him personally? How did it affect his career?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde was baptized both as a Protestant and as a Catholic. What do these religions represent to him? Why does he consider converting to Catholicism? What does he hope to gain? What does he expect to free himself from in his Protestant faith? What would conversion have meant to him and to the people around him?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)