|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the plot of "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
2. To whom did the Marquis of Queensberry leave a large inheritance?
3. Who is Lord Alfred Douglas?
4. What was the cause of Oscar Wilde's death?
5. What was the consequence of Oscar Wilde's first trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
2. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
3. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
4. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
5. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
6. How do Oscar Wilde's aesthetics develop during his time in Paris in 1891?
7. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
8. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
9. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
10. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Oscar Wilde's career as a playwright. What kind of plays did he write? What are his plays' themes? Choose three of his plays and describe what they tell us about Wilde's development as a playwright. How do his style and themes change over time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Oscar Wilde as a lecturer. What were his themes? What was his style? Where did he derive his authority from? What drew crowds to hear him speak? How did Wilde generate the 'buzz' that brought audiences? How was he received? Were audiences coming to see a public personality or to hear Wilde's thoughts on aesthetics and art?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde spent a considerable amount of time in Paris. Describe how he was treated differently in Paris than in England. Where was he most at home? Where were his ideas most accepted? How were England and France different for Wilde? What could he do in France that he could not do in England?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)