|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How secretive was Oscar Wilde about his homosexuality after his children were born?
2. What did Oscar Wilde's lover do to change Wilde's mind before the first trial?
3. How did Oscar Wilde come across at his first trial?
4. What was the punishment for homosexuality in England in the late 1800s?
5. What disturbing scene does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving Reading jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
2. Where does Oscar Wilde go after he is released from prison?
3. How do Oscar Wilde's aesthetics develop during his time in Paris in 1891?
4. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
5. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
6. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
7. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
8. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
9. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
10. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From 1887 to 1889, Oscar Wilde edited magazines. How did his editorial work change his literary style? Did it affect his plays? His poems? His aesthetic theories? His public personality? Did his work as a magazine editor help or hurt his development as a literary writer and critic?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Oscar Wilde's career as a playwright. What kind of plays did he write? What are his plays' themes? Choose three of his plays and describe what they tell us about Wilde's development as a playwright. How do his style and themes change over time?
Essay Topic 3
Did dying change anything about Oscar Wilde? Did he look at his life with regrets? Did he look back with pride on his work and his actions? Was he proud of his legacy?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)