|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Oscar Wilde first released from prison?
2. What did Oscar Wilde do in Naples?
3. Why was Oscar Wilde arrested?
4. What was Oscar Wilde's clothing like in prison?
5. Who was Lord Alfred Douglas' father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
2. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
3. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
4. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
5. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
6. What was the outcome of Oscar Wilde's lawsuit against his lover's father, Lord Queensberry?
7. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
8. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
9. How does Lord Alfred Douglas try to help Oscar Wilde while Wilde is in prison?
10. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde developed an epigrammatic style at Oxford. What is the form and function of an epigram? How does the epigram suit Wilde's style and social role? How does Wilde use epigrams, and how does his epigrammatic wit benefit him? What other styles does he use in addition to the epigram? What purpose do his other styles serve?
Essay Topic 2
More than one of Oscar Wilde's plays was not produced on the stage. What effect do these failures have on his career? How does he compensate for failing to produce the plays? What does he learn from the experiences? Does he benefit in any way from the plays not being produced?
Essay Topic 3
After Oscar Wilde was convicted of homosexuality, his friends urged him to flee to Paris. Why did he not flee? What did he gain by remaining in England and being imprisoned? What did he lose?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)