|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oscar Wilde said that men resemble which celestial body?
2. Who is the central character in Oscar Wilde's play "Salome"?
3. How was "A Woman of No Importance" received?
4. What was the consequence of Oscar Wilde's first trial?
5. Where did Oscar Wilde take a rest cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
2. How do conditions change for Oscar Wilde when Major Nelson takes over at Reading jail?
3. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
4. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
5. Where does Oscar Wilde go after he is released from prison?
6. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
7. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
8. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
9. What was the outcome of Oscar Wilde's lawsuit against his lover's father, Lord Queensberry?
10. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did dying change anything about Oscar Wilde? Did he look at his life with regrets? Did he look back with pride on his work and his actions? Was he proud of his legacy?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde's parents both espoused Irish independence. How does the Irish cause figure in Oscar Wilde's life? How does he espouse Irish values? Did he become more English than Irish? In what ways did he remain Irish?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Oscar Wilde's role as an art critic. What did he see as the critic's role in the art world? How did he perform that role himself? Was he consistent with his own prescription?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)