|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town where Oscar Wilde stayed after leaving Reading jail?
2. Oscar Wilde said that men resemble which celestial body?
3. What did Oscar Wilde discover that his lover was trying to do to him?
4. How did prison affect Oscar Wilde's health?
5. Where did Oscar Wilde travel after he was released from Reading jail?
Essay Topic 1
From 1887 to 1889, Oscar Wilde edited magazines. How did his editorial work change his literary style? Did it affect his plays? His poems? His aesthetic theories? His public personality? Did his work as a magazine editor help or hurt his development as a literary writer and critic?
Essay Topic 2
Did dying change anything about Oscar Wilde? Did he look at his life with regrets? Did he look back with pride on his work and his actions? Was he proud of his legacy?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde was baptized both as a Protestant and as a Catholic. What do these religions represent to him? Why does he consider converting to Catholicism? What does he hope to gain? What does he expect to free himself from in his Protestant faith? What would conversion have meant to him and to the people around him?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)