Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were prison conditions like at Reading jail?
2. What caused Oscar Wilde to stop writing?
3. What is the name of the town where Oscar Wilde stayed after leaving Reading jail?
4. Where did Oscar Wilde travel after he was released from Reading jail?
5. Where did Oscar Wilde go for homosexual sex?
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde developed an epigrammatic style at Oxford. What is the form and function of an epigram? How does the epigram suit Wilde's style and social role? How does Wilde use epigrams, and how does his epigrammatic wit benefit him? What other styles does he use in addition to the epigram? What purpose do his other styles serve?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde was always extravagant with his money. How does his extravagance fit with his brief, epigrammatic literary style? Is there an aesthetic that unites these two aspects of his personality, or are they simply different sides of the writer's life?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde spent a considerable amount of time in Paris. Describe how he was treated differently in Paris than in England. Where was he most at home? Where were his ideas most accepted? How were England and France different for Wilde? What could he do in France that he could not do in England?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)