|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Oscar Wilde released from prison for the first time?
2. What is the plot of "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
3. What is the title Oscar Wilde gave to "The Duchess of Padua" when he produced it anonymously?
4. How did Oscar Wilde's first trial turn out?
5. What did Oscar Wilde consider doing before his first trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
2. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
3. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
4. How do conditions change for Oscar Wilde when Major Nelson takes over at Reading jail?
5. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
6. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
7. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
8. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
9. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
10. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From 1887 to 1889, Oscar Wilde edited magazines. How did his editorial work change his literary style? Did it affect his plays? His poems? His aesthetic theories? His public personality? Did his work as a magazine editor help or hurt his development as a literary writer and critic?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde was baptized both as a Protestant and as a Catholic. What do these religions represent to him? Why does he consider converting to Catholicism? What does he hope to gain? What does he expect to free himself from in his Protestant faith? What would conversion have meant to him and to the people around him?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde's parents both espoused Irish independence. How does the Irish cause figure in Oscar Wilde's life? How does he espouse Irish values? Did he become more English than Irish? In what ways did he remain Irish?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)