|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the play Oscar Wilde wrote upon leaving Reading Gaol?
2. What was Oscar Wilde's state of mind in the months after his release from Reading jail?
3. What was the subject of much of Oscar Wilde's correspondence in the period when he was writing the Ballad of Reading Gaol?
4. Who is the central character in Oscar Wilde's play "Salome"?
5. What did Oscar Wilde's lover do to change Wilde's mind before the first trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lord Alfred Douglas try to help Oscar Wilde while Wilde is in prison?
2. Where does Oscar Wilde go after he is released from prison?
3. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
4. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
5. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
6. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
7. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
8. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
9. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
10. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde stated that the work of art requires the destruction of previous works of art. How did he practice this theory in his own art? Can his public persona be considered the work of art that destroyed his plays and poems and his novel?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde was not only homosexual, but openly, even flagrantly homosexual. What explains his openness? What did he gain by it? How did it hurt him personally? How did it affect his career?
Essay Topic 3
From 1887 to 1889, Oscar Wilde edited magazines. How did his editorial work change his literary style? Did it affect his plays? His poems? His aesthetic theories? His public personality? Did his work as a magazine editor help or hurt his development as a literary writer and critic?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)