|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did the Marquis of Queensberry leave a large inheritance?
2. What is the name of the town where Oscar Wilde stayed after leaving Reading jail?
3. How was "A Woman of No Importance" received?
4. What is the name of the play Oscar Wilde wrote upon leaving Reading Gaol?
5. How did Oscar Wilde escape from being prosecuted for homosexuality?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Oscar Wilde's aesthetics develop during his time in Paris in 1891?
2. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
3. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
4. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
5. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
6. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
7. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
8. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
9. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
10. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde wrote only one novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray." How is this novel different from his plays and poems? What part of his personality does he express that is not expressed elsewhere? How does his novel resemble his plays and poems? How is it different?
Essay Topic 2
From 1887 to 1889, Oscar Wilde edited magazines. How did his editorial work change his literary style? Did it affect his plays? His poems? His aesthetic theories? His public personality? Did his work as a magazine editor help or hurt his development as a literary writer and critic?
Essay Topic 3
After Oscar Wilde was convicted of homosexuality, his friends urged him to flee to Paris. Why did he not flee? What did he gain by remaining in England and being imprisoned? What did he lose?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)