Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were prison conditions like at Reading jail?
2. What caused Oscar Wilde to stop writing?
3. What is the name of the town where Oscar Wilde stayed after leaving Reading jail?
4. Where did Oscar Wilde travel after he was released from Reading jail?
5. Where did Oscar Wilde go for homosexual sex?
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was baptized both as a Protestant and as a Catholic. What do these religions represent to him? Why does he consider converting to Catholicism? What does he hope to gain? What does he expect to free himself from in his Protestant faith? What would conversion have meant to him and to the people around him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Oscar Wilde's role as an art critic. What did he see as the critic's role in the art world? How did he perform that role himself? Was he consistent with his own prescription?
Essay Topic 3
At Oxford, Oscar Wilde encountered two philosophers, Ruskin and Pater. How did Ruskin's ideas influence Wilde? How did Pater's? How did Wilde reconcile the tension between the two men's philosophies with his career?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)