|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were prison conditions like at Reading jail?
2. What caused Oscar Wilde to stop writing?
3. What is the name of the town where Oscar Wilde stayed after leaving Reading jail?
4. Where did Oscar Wilde travel after he was released from Reading jail?
5. Where did Oscar Wilde go for homosexual sex?
Essay Topic 1
At Oxford, Oscar Wilde encountered two philosophers, Ruskin and Pater. How did Ruskin's ideas influence Wilde? How did Pater's? How did Wilde reconcile the tension between the two men's philosophies with his career?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde spent a considerable amount of time in Paris. Describe how he was treated differently in Paris than in England. Where was he most at home? Where were his ideas most accepted? How were England and France different for Wilde? What could he do in France that he could not do in England?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde wrote only one novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray." How is this novel different from his plays and poems? What part of his personality does he express that is not expressed elsewhere? How does his novel resemble his plays and poems? How is it different?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)