|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did prison affect Oscar Wilde's view of human nature?
2. What is the name of the town where Oscar Wilde stayed after leaving Reading jail?
3. What disturbing scene does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving Reading jail?
4. Where did Oscar Wilde travel after he was released from Reading jail?
5. Oscar Wilde said that men resemble which celestial body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
2. How do conditions change for Oscar Wilde when Major Nelson takes over at Reading jail?
3. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
4. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
5. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
6. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
7. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
8. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
9. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
10. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde spent a considerable amount of time in Paris. Describe how he was treated differently in Paris than in England. Where was he most at home? Where were his ideas most accepted? How were England and France different for Wilde? What could he do in France that he could not do in England?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Oscar Wilde as a lecturer. What were his themes? What was his style? Where did he derive his authority from? What drew crowds to hear him speak? How did Wilde generate the 'buzz' that brought audiences? How was he received? Were audiences coming to see a public personality or to hear Wilde's thoughts on aesthetics and art?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde wrote only one novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray." How is this novel different from his plays and poems? What part of his personality does he express that is not expressed elsewhere? How does his novel resemble his plays and poems? How is it different?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)