|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Oscar Wilde go after his first trial?
2. How did Oscar Wilde protect himself from the cruelty of those around him?
3. What was the possible maximum sentence for the crime Oscar Wilde was arrested for?
4. When did Oscar Wilde return to Paris?
5. To whom did the Marquis of Queensberry leave a large inheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
2. How do Oscar Wilde's aesthetics develop during his time in Paris in 1891?
3. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
4. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
5. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
6. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
7. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
8. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
9. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
10. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was always extravagant with his money. How does his extravagance fit with his brief, epigrammatic literary style? Is there an aesthetic that unites these two aspects of his personality, or are they simply different sides of the writer's life?
Essay Topic 2
Did dying change anything about Oscar Wilde? Did he look at his life with regrets? Did he look back with pride on his work and his actions? Was he proud of his legacy?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Oscar Wilde's relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas with Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd. Does Wilde conduct both relationships according to the same rules? What were the rules that governed each relationship? In what ways was he true to either partner? In what ways was he honest or dishonest? In what ways did he show love for Constance and Douglas? Were they similar kinds of love? How are they different? Why are they different?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)