|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde turn to for spiritual guidance?
2. What does Oscar Wilde encourage Lillie Langtry to do?
3. What was Oscar Wilde's father's profession?
4. What group did Oscar Wilde join in 1875?
5. What defines Oscar Wilde's style?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to when she marries Oscar Wilde's father?
2. With whom does Oscar Wilde visit Rome in 1875?
3. Describe the history and premier of Oscar Wilde's play "Vera."
4. How are Oscar Wilde's lectures received in America?
5. Did Oscar Wilde's feelings about outdoor sports change any when he went to Oxford?
6. How was Oscar Wilde baptized?
7. Why does Archibald Forbes attack Oscar Wilde?
8. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Oxford University.
9. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
10. Where does Oscar Wilde move after graduating from Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde's mother urged him to marry a woman with money. Who else made suggestions as to whom Wilde should marry? Was there ever a time when he considered not marrying? Was Wilde's homosexuality an impediment to his marriage? How did he reconcile his homosexuality and his marriage? How did his wife? What trials or difficulties did Wilde's homosexuality present to Wilde and Constance as their marriage changed over time?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde's parents both espoused Irish independence. How does the Irish cause figure in Oscar Wilde's life? How does he espouse Irish values? Did he become more English than Irish? In what ways did he remain Irish?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Oscar Wilde's relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas with Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd. Does Wilde conduct both relationships according to the same rules? What were the rules that governed each relationship? In what ways was he true to either partner? In what ways was he honest or dishonest? In what ways did he show love for Constance and Douglas? Were they similar kinds of love? How are they different? Why are they different?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)