|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Oscar Wilde move in when he goes to Paris?
2. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
3. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first lecture in America?
4. What does Oscar Wilde win in 1878?
5. When did Oscar Wilde matriculate at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with his mother.
2. Describe Oscar Wilde's financial situation while he was courting Constance Lloyd.
3. What is Wilde's experience in Paris?
4. What did Oscar Wilde do when he lost his University Demyship?
5. What was Oscar Wilde's relationship with Robert Harborough Sherard?
6. Describe Oscar Wilde's contact with Catholicism at Oxford.
7. Did Oscar Wilde's feelings about outdoor sports change any when he went to Oxford?
8. Where does Oscar Wilde try to find work after graduating from Oxford?
9. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
10. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was baptized both as a Protestant and as a Catholic. What do these religions represent to him? Why does he consider converting to Catholicism? What does he hope to gain? What does he expect to free himself from in his Protestant faith? What would conversion have meant to him and to the people around him?
Essay Topic 2
What were the social conditions surrounding homosexuality in Oscar Wilde's times? What did his fellow students feel about homosexuality? What did the school authorities feel? What did society feel? Were there different groups among whom homosexuality was more acceptable?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde's mother urged him to marry a woman with money. Who else made suggestions as to whom Wilde should marry? Was there ever a time when he considered not marrying? Was Wilde's homosexuality an impediment to his marriage? How did he reconcile his homosexuality and his marriage? How did his wife? What trials or difficulties did Wilde's homosexuality present to Wilde and Constance as their marriage changed over time?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)