|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
2. What is the name of the man who attacked Oscar Wilde mercilessly during his American lectures?
3. Who is Robert Ross?
4. Oscar Wilde moved in with an artist after he graduated from Oxford. What kind of art did this artist make?
5. What profession does Oscar Wilde give up in order to supplement his wife's income?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with his mother.
2. How does Wilde's wife Constance handle the news of Oscar Wilde's homosexuality?
3. What does Oscar Wilde do for work after he gives up lecturing?
4. Describe Oscar Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd.
5. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
6. Why was Oscar Wilde's personality so well-suited to be parodied in the theatre?
7. What was Oscar Wilde's relationship with Robert Harborough Sherard?
8. With whom does Oscar Wilde visit Rome in 1875?
9. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
10. How was Oscar Wilde baptized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was always extravagant with his money. How does his extravagance fit with his brief, epigrammatic literary style? Is there an aesthetic that unites these two aspects of his personality, or are they simply different sides of the writer's life?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde's parents both espoused Irish independence. How does the Irish cause figure in Oscar Wilde's life? How does he espouse Irish values? Did he become more English than Irish? In what ways did he remain Irish?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde developed an epigrammatic style at Oxford. What is the form and function of an epigram? How does the epigram suit Wilde's style and social role? How does Wilde use epigrams, and how does his epigrammatic wit benefit him? What other styles does he use in addition to the epigram? What purpose do his other styles serve?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)