|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
2. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
3. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
4. What trend was creating a scandal at Oxford University in 1875?
5. What defines Oscar Wilde's style?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Oxford University.
2. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
3. Why does Archibald Forbes attack Oscar Wilde?
4. Did Oscar Wilde's feelings about outdoor sports change any when he went to Oxford?
5. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
6. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
7. Where does Oscar Wilde go after he is released from prison?
8. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
9. Where does Oscar Wilde move after graduating from Oxford?
10. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was not only homosexual, but openly, even flagrantly homosexual. What explains his openness? What did he gain by it? How did it hurt him personally? How did it affect his career?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Oscar Wilde's career as a playwright. What kind of plays did he write? What are his plays' themes? Choose three of his plays and describe what they tell us about Wilde's development as a playwright. How do his style and themes change over time?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde's parents both espoused Irish independence. How does the Irish cause figure in Oscar Wilde's life? How does he espouse Irish values? Did he become more English than Irish? In what ways did he remain Irish?
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)