|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Oscar Wilde's primary love interest at Oxford?
2. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
3. How well had Oscar Wilde's studies prepared him for Oxford?
4. Why does Oscar Wilde linger in America after he completes his lectures?
5. What did Oscar Wilde say the secret of life was at the end of his first American lecture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde do for work after he gives up lecturing?
2. What did Oscar Wilde regret when his father died?
3. Describe the history and premier of Oscar Wilde's play "Vera."
4. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
5. What did Oscar Wilde do when he lost his University Demyship?
6. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
7. Why was Oscar Wilde's first play never produced?
8. What is memorable about Oscar Wilde's stop in Leadville, Colorado?
9. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to when she marries Oscar Wilde's father?
10. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with his mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde spent a considerable amount of time in Paris. Describe how he was treated differently in Paris than in England. Where was he most at home? Where were his ideas most accepted? How were England and France different for Wilde? What could he do in France that he could not do in England?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde stated that the work of art requires the destruction of previous works of art. How did he practice this theory in his own art? Can his public persona be considered the work of art that destroyed his plays and poems and his novel?
Essay Topic 3
Did dying change anything about Oscar Wilde? Did he look at his life with regrets? Did he look back with pride on his work and his actions? Was he proud of his legacy?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)