|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How well had Oscar Wilde's studies prepared him for Oxford?
2. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's first play?
3. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
4. In what year does Oscar Wilde publish his first piece?
5. When students disrupt one of Oscar Wilde's lectures, where does Oscar Wilde say the students have put their heads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the history and premier of Oscar Wilde's play "Vera."
2. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
3. How are Oscar Wilde's lectures received in America?
4. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
5. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
6. How was Oscar Wilde baptized?
7. Where does Oscar Wilde try to find work after graduating from Oxford?
8. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
9. What factors made Oscar Wilde's lecturing tour in America a success?
10. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with his mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde spent a considerable amount of time in Paris. Describe how he was treated differently in Paris than in England. Where was he most at home? Where were his ideas most accepted? How were England and France different for Wilde? What could he do in France that he could not do in England?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde was not only homosexual, but openly, even flagrantly homosexual. What explains his openness? What did he gain by it? How did it hurt him personally? How did it affect his career?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde developed an epigrammatic style at Oxford. What is the form and function of an epigram? How does the epigram suit Wilde's style and social role? How does Wilde use epigrams, and how does his epigrammatic wit benefit him? What other styles does he use in addition to the epigram? What purpose do his other styles serve?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)