|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion is Oscar Wilde first baptized into?
2. What trend was creating a scandal at Oxford University in 1875?
3. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
4. Which item is part of each course during the dinner Oscar Wilde has in Leadville, Colorado?
5. Who does Oscar Wilde live with immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Oscar Wilde's meeting with Walt Whitman.
2. Describe Oscar Wilde's contact with Catholicism at Oxford.
3. Which intellectuals became important to Oscar Wilde while he was at Oxford? What were their ideas?
4. Describe the history and premier of Oscar Wilde's play "Vera."
5. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
6. Why does Archibald Forbes attack Oscar Wilde?
7. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
8. Where does Oscar Wilde try to find work after graduating from Oxford?
9. Why was Oscar Wilde's personality so well-suited to be parodied in the theatre?
10. How was Oscar Wilde baptized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Oscar Wilde's role as an art critic. What did he see as the critic's role in the art world? How did he perform that role himself? Was he consistent with his own prescription?
Essay Topic 2
More than one of Oscar Wilde's plays was not produced on the stage. What effect do these failures have on his career? How does he compensate for failing to produce the plays? What does he learn from the experiences? Does he benefit in any way from the plays not being produced?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde was always extravagant with his money. How does his extravagance fit with his brief, epigrammatic literary style? Is there an aesthetic that unites these two aspects of his personality, or are they simply different sides of the writer's life?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)