|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oscar Wilde make money during his courtship of his wife?
2. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
3. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's first play?
4. When does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
5. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Oscar Wilde's contact with Catholicism at Oxford.
2. Where does Oscar Wilde try to find work after graduating from Oxford?
3. What did Oscar Wilde regret when his father died?
4. What was Oscar Wilde's relationship with Robert Harborough Sherard?
5. Which intellectuals became important to Oscar Wilde while he was at Oxford? What were their ideas?
6. What is Oscar Wilde's father's profession, and what are his political views?
7. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
8. How was Oscar Wilde exposed to homosexuality?
9. Describe Oscar Wilde's financial situation while he was courting Constance Lloyd.
10. What were Oscar Wilde's greatest challenges in his first year at Oxford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde stated that the work of art requires the destruction of previous works of art. How did he practice this theory in his own art? Can his public persona be considered the work of art that destroyed his plays and poems and his novel?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde developed an epigrammatic style at Oxford. What is the form and function of an epigram? How does the epigram suit Wilde's style and social role? How does Wilde use epigrams, and how does his epigrammatic wit benefit him? What other styles does he use in addition to the epigram? What purpose do his other styles serve?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde was always extravagant with his money. How does his extravagance fit with his brief, epigrammatic literary style? Is there an aesthetic that unites these two aspects of his personality, or are they simply different sides of the writer's life?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)