|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Oscar Wilde say the secret of life was at the end of his first American lecture?
2. When does Oscar Wilde graduate from Oxford?
3. Where did Oscar Wilde spend his term while he was waiting to return to school in October 1877?
4. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
5. Where does Oscar Wilde first publish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors made Oscar Wilde's lecturing tour in America a success?
2. What is Wilde's experience in Paris?
3. What does Oscar Wilde do for work after he gives up lecturing?
4. With whom does Oscar Wilde visit Rome in 1875?
5. Why does Oscar Wilde skip his Baltimore speaking engagement?
6. How was Oscar Wilde baptized?
7. What did Oscar Wilde do when he lost his University Demyship?
8. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with his mother.
9. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Oxford University.
10. Describe the history and premier of Oscar Wilde's play "Vera."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde spent a considerable amount of time in Paris. Describe how he was treated differently in Paris than in England. Where was he most at home? Where were his ideas most accepted? How were England and France different for Wilde? What could he do in France that he could not do in England?
Essay Topic 2
From 1887 to 1889, Oscar Wilde edited magazines. How did his editorial work change his literary style? Did it affect his plays? His poems? His aesthetic theories? His public personality? Did his work as a magazine editor help or hurt his development as a literary writer and critic?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde wrote only one novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray." How is this novel different from his plays and poems? What part of his personality does he express that is not expressed elsewhere? How does his novel resemble his plays and poems? How is it different?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)