|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Oscar Wilde's primary love interest at Oxford?
2. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
3. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's column in Women's World Magazine?
4. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
5. Who is Archibald Forbes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde's relationship with Robert Harborough Sherard?
2. Describe Oscar Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd.
3. Did Oscar Wilde's feelings about outdoor sports change any when he went to Oxford?
4. How are Oscar Wilde's lectures received in America?
5. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with his mother.
6. Describe the history and premier of Oscar Wilde's play "Vera."
7. Where does Oscar Wilde live after returning to Europe from America?
8. With whom does Oscar Wilde visit Rome in 1875?
9. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
10. Describe Oscar Wilde's meeting with Walt Whitman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde came into prominence as a friend and opponent of James McNeill Whistler. Describe how Oscar Wilde used controversy and debate and personal invective to his own purposes. What does Wilde gain from his contests, with Whistler and other critics, and then with the Marquis of Queensberry--as a person? What does he gain as a public personality?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Oscar Wilde's relationship with Lord Alfred Douglas with Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd. Does Wilde conduct both relationships according to the same rules? What were the rules that governed each relationship? In what ways was he true to either partner? In what ways was he honest or dishonest? In what ways did he show love for Constance and Douglas? Were they similar kinds of love? How are they different? Why are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Did dying change anything about Oscar Wilde? Did he look at his life with regrets? Did he look back with pride on his work and his actions? Was he proud of his legacy?
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)