Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Oscar Wilde handle the disruption of his Harvard lecture?
2. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
3. Whom does Oscar Wilde marry?
4. As Oscar Wilde watched how the French interpreted aestheticism, what did he see coming from aesthetic ideas?
5. What was Oscar Wilde studying for in the spring of 1876?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
2. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
3. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
4. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
5. What was Oscar Wilde's relationship with Robert Harborough Sherard?
6. Why does Archibald Forbes attack Oscar Wilde?
7. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
8. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
9. How are Oscar Wilde's lectures received in America?
10. Describe Oscar Wilde's financial situation while he was courting Constance Lloyd.
Essay Topic 1
Describe Oscar Wilde as a lecturer. What were his themes? What was his style? Where did he derive his authority from? What drew crowds to hear him speak? How did Wilde generate the 'buzz' that brought audiences? How was he received? Were audiences coming to see a public personality or to hear Wilde's thoughts on aesthetics and art?
Essay Topic 2
What were the social conditions surrounding homosexuality in Oscar Wilde's times? What did his fellow students feel about homosexuality? What did the school authorities feel? What did society feel? Were there different groups among whom homosexuality was more acceptable?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde spent a considerable amount of time in Paris. Describe how he was treated differently in Paris than in England. Where was he most at home? Where were his ideas most accepted? How were England and France different for Wilde? What could he do in France that he could not do in England?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)