|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which American writer found Oscar Wilde to be contemptuous?
2. Why is Oscar Wilde's first play not produced?
3. What disruption took place during Oscar Wilde's Harvard lecture?
4. Why does Oscar Wilde resist converting to Catholicism?
5. What religion is Oscar Wilde first baptized into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is memorable about Oscar Wilde's stop in Leadville, Colorado?
2. What is Oscar Wilde's father's profession, and what are his political views?
3. What factors made Oscar Wilde's lecturing tour in America a success?
4. Describe Oscar Wilde's financial situation while he was courting Constance Lloyd.
5. How are Oscar Wilde's lectures received in America?
6. Why was Oscar Wilde's first play never produced?
7. How was Oscar Wilde exposed to homosexuality?
8. Where does Oscar Wilde try to find work after graduating from Oxford?
9. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
10. How does Wilde's wife Constance handle the news of Oscar Wilde's homosexuality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde's parents both espoused Irish independence. How does the Irish cause figure in Oscar Wilde's life? How does he espouse Irish values? Did he become more English than Irish? In what ways did he remain Irish?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde was not only homosexual, but openly, even flagrantly homosexual. What explains his openness? What did he gain by it? How did it hurt him personally? How did it affect his career?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde stated that the work of art requires the destruction of previous works of art. How did he practice this theory in his own art? Can his public persona be considered the work of art that destroyed his plays and poems and his novel?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)