|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
2. When does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
3. What does Robert Harborough Sherard do for Oscar Wilde?
4. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
5. What religion is Oscar Wilde first baptized into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
2. Did Oscar Wilde's feelings about outdoor sports change any when he went to Oxford?
3. How was Oscar Wilde exposed to homosexuality?
4. Why was Oscar Wilde's personality so well-suited to be parodied in the theatre?
5. Describe the history and premier of Oscar Wilde's play "Vera."
6. Describe Oscar Wilde's meeting with Walt Whitman.
7. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to when she marries Oscar Wilde's father?
8. What were Oscar Wilde's greatest challenges in his first year at Oxford?
9. What does Oscar Wilde do for work after he gives up lecturing?
10. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Oxford University.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar Wilde was baptized both as a Protestant and as a Catholic. What do these religions represent to him? Why does he consider converting to Catholicism? What does he hope to gain? What does he expect to free himself from in his Protestant faith? What would conversion have meant to him and to the people around him?
Essay Topic 2
Oscar Wilde spent a considerable amount of time in Paris. Describe how he was treated differently in Paris than in England. Where was he most at home? Where were his ideas most accepted? How were England and France different for Wilde? What could he do in France that he could not do in England?
Essay Topic 3
Oscar Wilde's parents both espoused Irish independence. How does the Irish cause figure in Oscar Wilde's life? How does he espouse Irish values? Did he become more English than Irish? In what ways did he remain Irish?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)