|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray," received?
(a) It was not noticed until late in Wilde's life.
(b) It was almost banned for homosexuality.
(c) It was celebrated for its open homosexuality.
(d) It was noticed by some literary critics, but it did not sell in large numbers.
2. What actions led to prosecution of homosexuals in England?
(a) Agitation by Oxford students to legitimize homosexuality.
(b) The election of a more conservative government.
(c) Anti-homosexual protests and riots.
(d) The scandalous case of the Marquis of Queensberry.
3. How did Oscar Wilde escape from being prosecuted for homosexuality?
(a) Oscar Wilde broke up with his lover before the authorities could gather any evidence against them.
(b) He struck a deal with the lead prosecutor to abstain from homosexual acts.
(c) His lover's parents refused to press charges when they realized that their son would have to be imprisoned as well.
(d) He bought his way out of the investigation by paying off influential barristers.
4. What caused Oscar Wilde to stop writing?
(a) He had headaches that blinded him.
(b) He became ill and did not have the strength to write.
(c) His health declined.
(d) He began to lose his memory.
5. Who is the central character in Oscar Wilde's play "Salome"?
(d) John the Baptist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What play was Oscar Wilde writing in 1894?
2. Who is Lord Alfred Douglas?
3. What is the plot of "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
4. When did Oscar Wilde return to Paris?
5. Why was Oscar Wilde arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
2. How does Lord Alfred Douglas try to help Oscar Wilde while Wilde is in prison?
3. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
4. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
5. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
6. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
7. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
8. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
9. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
10. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)