|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Oscar Wilde to stop writing?
(a) He became ill and did not have the strength to write.
(b) His health declined.
(c) He had headaches that blinded him.
(d) He began to lose his memory.
2. How did prison affect Oscar Wilde's view of human nature?
(a) He learned that violence is more powerful than wit.
(b) He saw people's limitations as prison-like.
(c) He learned to appreciate acts of cruelty.
(d) He lost his compassion for human suffering.
3. How was Oscar Wilde released from prison for the first time?
(a) He proved his innocence at trial.
(b) He arranged for the charges to be dismissed.
(c) He escaped with two other prisoners.
(d) He raised money for bail among his friends.
4. Why was "Salome" not performed?
(a) The theatre could not come up with money for a production.
(b) The play was banned for obscenity.
(c) Bible stories were banned from the stage by British law.
(d) Oscar Wilde had differences of opinion with his director.
5. What was the possible maximum sentence for the crime Oscar Wilde was arrested for?
(a) Life imprisonment.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which prison was Oscar Wilde first imprisoned?
2. What did Oscar Wilde do in Naples?
3. How did Oscar Wilde come across at his first trial?
4. Why was Oscar Wilde arrested?
5. What did Oscar Wilde write about his personal experience in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
2. Where does Oscar Wilde go after he is released from prison?
3. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
4. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
5. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
6. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
7. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
8. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
9. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
10. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)