|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Oscar Wilde say about disciples?
(a) There are no disciples.
(b) Every disciple is enslaved by his master.
(c) Life is an eternal discipleship.
(d) Every man is a disciple of Christ.
2. How much did Oscar Wilde earn from the production of "Lady Windermere's Fan"?
(a) 7,000 pounds.
(b) 1,200 pounds.
(c) 3,000 poounds.
(d) 5,000 pounds.
3. How did Lord Alfred Douglas remain part of Oscar Wilde's life?
(a) He promised to change and take care of Wilde better.
(b) He used extreme behavior to manipulate Wilde.
(c) He threatened and cajoled Wilde into staying in touch.
(d) He blackmailed Wilde.
4. What did Oscar Wilde consider doing before his first trial?
(a) Filing additional charges.
(b) Renouncing homosexuality.
(c) Withdrawing the charges.
(d) Fleeing to Paris.
5. When was Oscar Wilde first released from prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. What landmark essay did Oscar Wilde publish in 1890?
2. What was Oscar Wilde's clothing like in prison?
3. How did Oscar Wilde come across at his first trial?
4. What was the punishment for homosexuality in England in the late 1800s?
5. What caused Oscar Wilde to stop writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
2. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
3. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
4. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
5. Where does Oscar Wilde go after he is released from prison?
6. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
7. How do conditions change for Oscar Wilde when Major Nelson takes over at Reading jail?
8. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
9. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
10. How does Lord Alfred Douglas try to help Oscar Wilde while Wilde is in prison?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)