|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Oscar Wilde publish "Salome"?
2. What is the name of the town where Oscar Wilde stayed after leaving Reading jail?
3. Oscar Wilde said that men resemble which celestial body?
4. What landmark essay did Oscar Wilde publish in 1890?
(a) "The House Beautiful."
(b) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
(c) "The Critic as Artist."
(d) "Personal Impressions of America."
5. How did Oscar Wilde escape from being prosecuted for homosexuality?
(a) He bought his way out of the investigation by paying off influential barristers.
(b) Oscar Wilde broke up with his lover before the authorities could gather any evidence against them.
(c) His lover's parents refused to press charges when they realized that their son would have to be imprisoned as well.
(d) He struck a deal with the lead prosecutor to abstain from homosexual acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was "Salome" not performed?
2. Where did Oscar Wilde travel after he was released from Reading jail?
3. What did Oscar Wilde discover that his lover was trying to do to him?
4. Where did Oscar Wilde take a rest cure?
5. How did Oscar Wilde's first trial turn out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
2. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
3. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
4. How do Oscar Wilde's aesthetics develop during his time in Paris in 1891?
5. Where does Oscar Wilde go after he is released from prison?
6. How does Lord Alfred Douglas try to help Oscar Wilde while Wilde is in prison?
7. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
8. What was the outcome of Oscar Wilde's lawsuit against his lover's father, Lord Queensberry?
9. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
10. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)