|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Oscar Wilde released from prison for the first time?
(a) He proved his innocence at trial.
(b) He arranged for the charges to be dismissed.
(c) He raised money for bail among his friends.
(d) He escaped with two other prisoners.
2. Why was "Salome" not performed?
(a) Bible stories were banned from the stage by British law.
(b) Oscar Wilde had differences of opinion with his director.
(c) The play was banned for obscenity.
(d) The theatre could not come up with money for a production.
3. What did Oscar Wilde write about his personal experience in prison?
(b) Long, detailed letters to his lover.
(c) He describes his longing for his wife.
(d) "The Ballad of Reading Gaol."
4. How did Oscar Wilde describe homosexuality in court?
(a) As a crime against nature.
(b) As the ideal art.
(c) As the perfection of love.
(d) As the love that dare not speak its name.
5. What play was Oscar Wilde writing in 1894?
(a) "Lady Windermere's Fan."
(b) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
(c) "Guido Ferranti."
(d) "A Woman of No Importance."
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbing scene does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving Reading jail?
2. What was the subject of much of Oscar Wilde's correspondence in the period when he was writing the Ballad of Reading Gaol?
3. What was the possible maximum sentence for the crime Oscar Wilde was arrested for?
4. What privilege does Oscar Wilde eventually obtain in prison?
5. Where did Oscar Wilde travel after he was released from Reading jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
2. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
3. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
4. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
5. Where does Oscar Wilde go after he is released from prison?
6. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
7. How do Oscar Wilde's aesthetics develop during his time in Paris in 1891?
8. What happened when Oscar Wilde sued his lover's father, Lord Queensberry, for libel?
9. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
10. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)