|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings Oscar Wilde out of his artistic doldrums after he is released from Reading jail?
(a) Major Nelson.
(b) His mother.
(d) The Marquis of Queensberry.
2. How did Oscar Wilde describe Christ's life?
(a) As the greatest of poems.
(b) As a tragic drama.
(c) As an iconic sculpture.
(d) As a moving song.
3. What actions led to prosecution of homosexuals in England?
(a) The scandalous case of the Marquis of Queensberry.
(b) Anti-homosexual protests and riots.
(c) The election of a more conservative government.
(d) Agitation by Oxford students to legitimize homosexuality.
4. What disturbing scene does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving Reading jail?
(a) A soldier went insane after a flogging.
(b) One prisoner beat another prisoner to death.
(c) A mob of prisoners were beaten by guards.
(d) Prisoners were executed for rioting.
5. How did Oscar Wilde come across at his first trial?
(a) As a corrupter of youth.
(b) As a victim.
(c) As an elitist.
(d) As a hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Lord Alfred Douglas' father?
2. What privilege does Oscar Wilde eventually obtain in prison?
3. Where does Oscar Wilde go after his first trial?
4. How was Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray," received?
5. How did Robert Ross help Oscar Wilde?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do conditions change for Oscar Wilde when Major Nelson takes over at Reading jail?
2. How did Lord Alfred Douglas' father feel about his son's relationship with Oscar Wilde?
3. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
4. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
5. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
6. How does Lord Alfred Douglas try to help Oscar Wilde while Wilde is in prison?
7. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
8. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
9. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
10. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)