|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Oscar Wilde go for homosexual sex?
(b) The quays.
(c) The parks in London.
(d) His home.
2. Oscar Wilde said that men resemble which celestial body?
3. What did Oscar Wilde do in Naples?
(b) Live with his lover.
(c) Write his memoirs.
(d) Write his last play.
4. What happened as a consequence of Oscar Wilde's move to Naples?
(a) He wrote his last great work.
(b) He was restored to health and fame.
(c) He was disinherited by his mother.
(d) He was imprisoned for homosexuality.
5. What is the title Oscar Wilde gave to "The Duchess of Padua" when he produced it anonymously?
(a) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
(b) "Guido Ferranti."
(c) "Lady Windermere's Fan."
(d) "The Critic as Artist."
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Oscar Wilde alienate people?
2. How was Oscar Wilde released from prison for the first time?
3. Why was Oscar Wilde arrested?
4. How did Oscar Wilde set the stage for his own prosecution?
5. Why was "Salome" not performed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
2. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
3. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
4. What disturbing incidents does Oscar Wilde witness before leaving prison?
5. How does Lord Alfred Douglas try to help Oscar Wilde while Wilde is in prison?
6. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
7. What is the plot of Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
8. Why did Lord Alfred Douglas' parents refuse to press charges against Oscar Wilde?
9. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
10. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)