|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray," received?
(a) It was not noticed until late in Wilde's life.
(b) It was celebrated for its open homosexuality.
(c) It was almost banned for homosexuality.
(d) It was noticed by some literary critics, but it did not sell in large numbers.
2. What was the punishment for homosexuality in England in the late 1800s?
3. What magazine published "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?
(a) Pall Mall Gazette.
(b) Women's World.
(c) Harper's Bazaar.
4. How did Lord Alfred Douglas remain part of Oscar Wilde's life?
(a) He blackmailed Wilde.
(b) He used extreme behavior to manipulate Wilde.
(c) He threatened and cajoled Wilde into staying in touch.
(d) He promised to change and take care of Wilde better.
5. What is the title Oscar Wilde gave to "The Duchess of Padua" when he produced it anonymously?
(a) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
(b) "The Critic as Artist."
(c) "Guido Ferranti."
(d) "Lady Windermere's Fan."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oscar Wilde's relationship with Major Nelson?
2. When did Oscar Wilde publish "Salome"?
3. What was Oscar Wilde's daily routine in prison?
4. How much did Oscar Wilde earn from the production of "Lady Windermere's Fan"?
5. What landmark essay did Oscar Wilde publish in 1890?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
2. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
3. Describe the conditions under which Oscar Wilde was writing "The Importance of Being Earnest."
4. How do Oscar Wilde's aesthetics develop during his time in Paris in 1891?
5. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
6. Why was Oscar Wilde's play "Salome" censored?
7. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
8. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
9. What was the outcome of Oscar Wilde's lawsuit against his lover's father, Lord Queensberry?
10. How is "Lady Windermere's Fan" received when it premieres in London?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)