|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
(a) Marry a woman with money.
(b) Leave London for Paris.
(c) Write poetry instead of drama.
(d) Produce his plays in America.
2. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She divorced him because of it.
(b) She discussed it openly.
(c) She ignored it.
(d) She tried to cure him.
3. What does Robert Harborough Sherard do for Oscar Wilde?
(a) He produced Wilde's first play.
(b) He published Wilde's first book.
(c) He produced "The Duchess of Padua."
(d) He wrote Wilde's biography.
4. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde turn to for spiritual guidance?
5. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
(a) He found aestheticism more benevolent in France.
(b) He found aestheticism ridiculous in France.
(c) He found aestheticism more sinister in France.
(d) He found aestheticism less demanding in France.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
2. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
3. Who cables Oscar Wilde with an invitation to lecture?
4. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
5. When does Oscar Wilde marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wilde's experience in Paris?
2. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Oxford University.
3. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
4. Describe Oscar Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd.
5. Describe Oscar Wilde's meeting with Walt Whitman.
6. Why does Oscar Wilde skip his Baltimore speaking engagement?
7. What did Oscar Wilde regret when his father died?
8. Where does Oscar Wilde live after returning to Europe from America?
9. Why does Archibald Forbes attack Oscar Wilde?
10. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)