|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Oscar Wilde's spending habits change when he gets married?
(a) He bankrupted himself and his wife with bad investments.
(b) He started to save for a house in the country.
(c) He still spent money extravagantly.
(d) He saved his money to finance the production of his plays.
2. Oscar Wilde decorated his room with pictures of whom?
(a) Florence Balcombe.
(b) The Pope and Bishop Manning.
(c) King Henry VIII
(d) Martin Luther and John Calvin.
3. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde turn to for spiritual guidance?
4. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first public lecture in America?
(d) New York.
5. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's column in Women's World Magazine?
(a) "Notes from America."
(b) "Literary and Other Notes."
(c) "Literary News."
(d) "Notes from Paris."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
2. What was Oscar Wilde's father's profession?
3. When does Oscar Wilde graduate from Oxford?
4. Whom does Oscar Wilde marry?
5. Why is Oscar Wilde's first play not produced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Oscar Wilde try to find work after graduating from Oxford?
2. What is Wilde's experience in Paris?
3. What did Oscar Wilde regret when his father died?
4. How was Oscar Wilde baptized?
5. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
6. Which intellectuals became important to Oscar Wilde while he was at Oxford? What were their ideas?
7. Why does Oscar Wilde skip his Baltimore speaking engagement?
8. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
9. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Rennell Rodd.
10. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)