|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of run does "Vera" have in America?
(a) Short but meteoric.
(b) Long and successful.
(c) Short and disappointing.
(d) Unspectacular, but moderately successful.
2. Who is Lillie Langtry?
(a) Oscar Wilde's mother's friend.
(b) Oscar Wilde's good friend.
(c) Oscar Wilde's boss' wife.
(d) Oscar Wilde's roommate's girlfriend.
3. Who cables Oscar Wilde with an invitation to lecture?
(a) James McNeill Whistler.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) President Garfield.
(d) Richard D'Oyly.
4. When does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
5. What is Oscar Wilde's father's name?
(a) Randolph Hearst Wilde.
(b) William Robert Wilde.
(c) Alexander Wilde.
(d) Richard Matthew Wilde.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Robert Harborough Sherard's impression of Oscar Wilde change once he gets to know him?
2. What profession does Oscar Wilde give up in order to supplement his wife's income?
3. Why did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
4. What does Robert Harborough Sherard do for Oscar Wilde?
5. What was Oscar Wilde ill with late in his fourth year at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Oscar Wilde's father's profession, and what are his political views?
2. Describe Oscar Wilde's contact with Catholicism at Oxford.
3. What were Oscar Wilde's greatest challenges in his first year at Oxford?
4. Why was Oscar Wilde's personality so well-suited to be parodied in the theatre?
5. What is Wilde's experience in Paris?
6. How was Oscar Wilde baptized?
7. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with his mother.
8. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to when she marries Oscar Wilde's father?
9. Describe Oscar Wilde's financial situation while he was courting Constance Lloyd.
10. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)