|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion is Oscar Wilde first baptized into?
2. What is the name of the friend who converted to Catholicism and influenced Oscar Wilde to consider converting?
(a) Rupert Balcombe.
(b) Eva Manning.
(c) Richard Williamson.
(d) David Hunter Blair.
3. What split does Oscar Wilde's poetry explore?
(a) Between aesthetic and ethical man.
(b) Between reflective and pragmatic man.
(c) Between Irish and English man.
(d) Between man and superman.
4. Which intellectual invokes disciplined restraint?
5. When does Oscar Wilde graduate from Oxford?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the journal in which Oscar Wilde published a poem about a boy?
2. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first public lecture in America?
3. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
4. Why did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
5. How does Oscar Wilde arrive in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Oscar Wilde's father's profession, and what are his political views?
2. How do conditions change for Oscar Wilde when Major Nelson takes over at Reading jail?
3. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
4. Why was Oscar Wilde's personality so well-suited to be parodied in the theatre?
5. Describe Oscar Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd.
6. What did Oscar Wilde regret when his father died?
7. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
8. Why was Oscar Wilde's first play never produced?
9. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
10. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Oxford University.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)