|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Oscar Wilde spend his term while he was waiting to return to school in October 1877?
2. Where does Oscar Wilde first publish?
(a) The Frankfurt Times.
(b) The Irish Times.
(c) The Dublin University Magazine.
(d) The Oxford Review.
3. How does Oscar Wilde return to England from America?
(a) In poverty.
(b) Rich with American dollars.
(c) With fame, but little money.
(d) On his own boat.
4. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
(a) Melissa Banks.
(b) Martha Shepard.
(c) Jane Elgee.
(d) Constance Larue.
5. Why did Oscar Wilde need a special dispensation to join the group he joined in 1875?
(a) He was Protestant.
(b) He was Catholic.
(c) He was Irish.
(d) He was under twenty-one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
2. Who is Robert Ross?
3. What were the gate receipts for Oscar Wilde's first lecture in America?
4. Oscar Wilde's debates with James McNeill Whistler are included in which of Wilde's works?
5. What does Ellman give as a possible reason for Wilde's dislike for sports?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde's relationship with Robert Harborough Sherard?
2. How does Wilde's wife Constance handle the news of Oscar Wilde's homosexuality?
3. Did Oscar Wilde's feelings about outdoor sports change any when he went to Oxford?
4. What factors made Oscar Wilde's lecturing tour in America a success?
5. Why does Oscar Wilde skip his Baltimore speaking engagement?
6. Describe Oscar Wilde's meeting with Walt Whitman.
7. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
8. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Rennell Rodd.
9. How was Oscar Wilde baptized?
10. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)