|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
(a) He synthesized a new aesthetic ethics.
(b) He resolved to remain neutral.
(c) He sided with Pater.
(d) He sided with Ruskin.
2. When did Oscar Wilde matriculate at Oxford?
3. What does Oscar Wilde do for work immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
(a) He taught at Oxford.
(b) He wrote art reviews.
(c) He lectured on aesthetics.
(d) He edited the Encyclopedia Britannica.
4. Why does Oscar Wilde shy away from marriage?
(a) He was in debt.
(b) He was expelled from school
(c) He was openly homosexual.
(d) He was still a student.
5. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first lecture in America?
(a) Dickinson Hall.
(b) Broadway Theatre.
(c) Chickering Hall.
(d) Buell Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's first play?
2. How does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
3. What does Ellman give as a possible reason for Wilde's dislike for sports?
4. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
5. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
2. Describe Oscar Wilde's meeting with Walt Whitman.
3. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Rennell Rodd.
4. What did Oscar Wilde do when he lost his University Demyship?
5. Which intellectuals became important to Oscar Wilde while he was at Oxford? What were their ideas?
6. Describe Oscar Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd.
7. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
8. Did Oscar Wilde's feelings about outdoor sports change any when he went to Oxford?
9. How does Wilde's wife Constance handle the news of Oscar Wilde's homosexuality?
10. How did Oscar Wilde feel about his studies at Oxford?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)