|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lillie Langtry?
(a) Oscar Wilde's mother's friend.
(b) Oscar Wilde's good friend.
(c) Oscar Wilde's roommate's girlfriend.
(d) Oscar Wilde's boss' wife.
2. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
(a) They were wealthy with a bequest from Wilde's mother.
(b) They were looking forward to making a fortune in investments.
(c) They were in debt because of Wilde's extravagant expenses.
(d) They were poor because of the bankruptcy of Wilde's wife's father.
3. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
(a) He found aestheticism ridiculous in France.
(b) He found aestheticism more benevolent in France.
(c) He found aestheticism more sinister in France.
(d) He found aestheticism less demanding in France.
4. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
(a) To finish his play, "The Duchess of Padua."
(b) To meet a lover.
(c) To lecture at the Sorbonne.
(d) To work with Walter Pater.
5. What was Oscar Wilde studying for in the spring of 1876?
(a) Honor Moderations.
(b) His divinity exams.
(c) Qualifying exams.
(d) Engineering exams.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
2. What does Robert Harborough Sherard do for Oscar Wilde?
3. What is the name of the man who attacked Oscar Wilde mercilessly during his American lectures?
4. What does Oscar Wilde do at Marie Prescott's request?
5. How does Oscar Wilde return to England from America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
2. How was Oscar Wilde baptized?
3. What were Oscar Wilde's greatest challenges in his first year at Oxford?
4. Describe Oscar Wilde's relationship with Rennell Rodd.
5. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to when she marries Oscar Wilde's father?
6. Why was Oscar Wilde's personality so well-suited to be parodied in the theatre?
7. Where does Oscar Wilde try to find work after graduating from Oxford?
8. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
9. Describe Oscar Wilde's financial situation while he was courting Constance Lloyd.
10. Describe Oscar Wilde's contact with Catholicism at Oxford.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)