|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde's greatest challenge when he matriculated at Oxford?
(a) To lose his Irish accent.
(b) To hide his homosexuality.
(c) To finish at the top of his class.
(d) To publish in a literary review.
2. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She discussed it openly.
(b) She tried to cure him.
(c) She ignored it.
(d) She divorced him because of it.
3. Which feat did Oscar Wilde claim to be capable of?
(a) Reading facing pages at the same time.
(b) Memorizing the Iliad.
(c) Memorizing all the elements on the periodic table.
(d) Beating his teachers at chess.
4. Where does Oscar Wilde first publish?
(a) The Oxford Review.
(b) The Irish Times.
(c) The Frankfurt Times.
(d) The Dublin University Magazine.
5. How long does Oscar Wilde stay in America after he finishes his lecture series?
(a) Two and a half months.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Eighteen months.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Oscar Wilde graduate from Oxford?
2. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
3. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
4. With whom does Oscar Wilde move in when he goes to Paris?
5. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Oscar Wilde's first play never produced?
2. How was Oscar Wilde exposed to homosexuality?
3. What was Oscar Wilde's relationship with Robert Harborough Sherard?
4. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
5. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
6. How are Oscar Wilde's lectures received in America?
7. How did Oscar Wilde feel about his studies at Oxford?
8. What were Oscar Wilde's greatest challenges in his first year at Oxford?
9. Describe Oscar Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd.
10. Which intellectuals became important to Oscar Wilde while he was at Oxford? What were their ideas?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)