|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which intellectual appeals to conscience over imagination?
2. What is the name of the man who attacked Oscar Wilde mercilessly during his American lectures?
(a) Archibald Forbes.
(b) Walter Pater.
(c) John Rockefeller.
(d) Howard Taft.
3. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
(a) He found aestheticism ridiculous in France.
(b) He found aestheticism more sinister in France.
(c) He found aestheticism less demanding in France.
(d) He found aestheticism more benevolent in France.
4. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
(a) Marry a woman with money.
(b) Write poetry instead of drama.
(c) Produce his plays in America.
(d) Leave London for Paris.
5. What was Oscar Wilde ill with late in his fourth year at Oxford?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Harborough Sherard do for Oscar Wilde?
2. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
3. Whom does Oscar Wilde marry?
4. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
5. What is the name of the journal in which Oscar Wilde published a poem about a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Oscar Wilde's lectures received in America?
2. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
3. Why was Oscar Wilde's personality so well-suited to be parodied in the theatre?
4. What is memorable about Oscar Wilde's stop in Leadville, Colorado?
5. With whom does Oscar Wilde visit Rome in 1875?
6. Why does Archibald Forbes attack Oscar Wilde?
7. Where does Oscar Wilde try to find work after graduating from Oxford?
8. What is Wilde's experience in Paris?
9. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
10. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford, and how did he meet it?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)