|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Oscar Wilde live with immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
(a) Robert Osborn.
(b) Frank Miles.
(c) William Langtry.
(d) Keith Balcombe.
2. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She ignored it.
(b) She divorced him because of it.
(c) She discussed it openly.
(d) She tried to cure him.
3. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
(a) To lecture at the Sorbonne.
(b) To finish his play, "The Duchess of Padua."
(c) To meet a lover.
(d) To work with Walter Pater.
4. Oscar Wilde moved in with an artist after he graduated from Oxford. What kind of art did this artist make?
(a) Miniature street scenes.
(b) Surreal oil paintings.
(c) Bronze sculpture.
(d) Female portraits.
5. What disruption took place during Oscar Wilde's Harvard lecture?
(a) Oscar Wilde was chased off the stage by angry students.
(b) Unruly students rode horses through the lecture hall.
(c) Sixty students lampooned his style.
(d) A fight broke out between aestheticians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Oscar Wilde first publish?
2. Oscar Wilde's mother was a strong supporter of which political cause?
3. What is the name of the friend who converted to Catholicism and influenced Oscar Wilde to consider converting?
4. When does Oscar Wilde graduate from Oxford?
5. Which intellectual invokes disciplined restraint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Archibald Forbes attack Oscar Wilde?
2. What relationships does Oscar Wilde resume after leaving prison?
3. Were Oscar Wilde and his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, faithful to each other?
4. How does Wilde's wife Constance handle the news of Oscar Wilde's homosexuality?
5. What does Oscar Wilde do for work after he gives up lecturing?
6. How did the English see the crime of sodomy?
7. What did Oscar Wilde do when he lost his University Demyship?
8. How do the people of Paris receive Oscar Wilde in 1891?
9. What was Oscar Wilde's relationship with Robert Harborough Sherard?
10. Why does it become impossible for Oscar Wilde to write after he writes "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)