|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What magazine does Oscar Wilde publish in from 1887 to 1888?
(a) Harper's Bazaar.
(b) Women's World.
(c) Pall Mall Gazette.
(d) The London Times.
2. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
(a) His mother's.
(b) Frank Miles'.
(c) James McNeill Whistler's.
(d) Lillie Langtry's.
3. How does Oscar Wilde arrive in America?
(a) With a retinue of admirers.
(b) With distinctive flair.
(c) In desperate poverty.
(d) With open curiosity and enthusiasm.
4. What religion is Oscar Wilde baptized into the second time?
5. What is the name of the friend who converted to Catholicism and influenced Oscar Wilde to consider converting?
(a) Rupert Balcombe.
(b) David Hunter Blair.
(c) Richard Williamson.
(d) Eva Manning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde studying for in the spring of 1876?
2. What happens when Oscar Wilde tries to have his first play produced in America?
3. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
4. When does Oscar Wilde marry?
5. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first lecture in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Oscar Wilde's financial situation while he was courting Constance Lloyd.
2. What did Oscar Wilde regret when his father died?
3. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
4. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to when she marries Oscar Wilde's father?
5. What was Oscar Wilde like as a young boy?
6. How was Oscar Wilde exposed to homosexuality?
7. Where does Oscar Wilde try to find work after graduating from Oxford?
8. Describe the history and premier of Oscar Wilde's play "Vera."
9. How are Oscar Wilde's lectures received in America?
10. Where does Oscar Wilde live after returning to Europe from America?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)