|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Oscar Wilde finish "The Duchess of Padua"?
(a) Too late for his publisher to print it.
(b) A little bit late for his publisher's deadline.
(c) Just in time to meet his publisher's deadline.
(d) Well in advance of his publisher's deadline.
2. Oscar Wilde's mother was a strong supporter of which political cause?
(b) Women's rights.
(c) Irish nationalism.
(d) Abolition of slavery.
3. How does Oscar Wilde arrive in America?
(a) With a retinue of admirers.
(b) With open curiosity and enthusiasm.
(c) In desperate poverty.
(d) With distinctive flair.
4. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
(a) Frank Miles'.
(b) Lillie Langtry's.
(c) James McNeill Whistler's.
(d) His mother's.
5. Why does Oscar Wilde resist converting to Catholicism?
(a) He did not know enough about Catholicism yet.
(b) He was afraid of being written out of his father's will.
(c) He distrusted Catholic priests.
(d) He was afraid of eternal damnation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What belief does Pater lead Oscar Wilde to?
2. Who is Oscar Wilde's primary love interest at Oxford?
3. What is the name of the man who attacked Oscar Wilde mercilessly during his American lectures?
4. What group did Oscar Wilde join in 1875?
5. Who is Lillie Langtry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
2. What happens to Oscar Wilde's allowance from his mother after he leaves prison?
3. How is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" seen as a work about homosexuality?
4. How was Oscar Wilde exposed to homosexuality?
5. What was Oscar Wilde's relationship with Robert Harborough Sherard?
6. Where does Oscar Wilde go after he is released from prison?
7. Why does Oscar Wilde skip his Baltimore speaking engagement?
8. Why does Oscar Wilde refuse to flee from England to Paris?
9. What happens to Oscar Wilde when he goes to prison?
10. Describe Oscar Wilde's marriage to Constance Lloyd.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)