|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oscar Wilde resist converting to Catholicism?
(a) He distrusted Catholic priests.
(b) He was afraid of eternal damnation.
(c) He was afraid of being written out of his father's will.
(d) He did not know enough about Catholicism yet.
2. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
(a) They were looking forward to making a fortune in investments.
(b) They were in debt because of Wilde's extravagant expenses.
(c) They were wealthy with a bequest from Wilde's mother.
(d) They were poor because of the bankruptcy of Wilde's wife's father.
3. What defines Oscar Wilde's style?
(a) Epigrammatic wit.
(b) Perverse humor.
(c) Conservative views.
(d) Exotic pets.
4. Why did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
(a) He failed his divinity examinations.
(b) He returned to school late at Easter term.
(c) His grades were not good enough.
(d) He was in a fight with another student.
5. How do Oscar Wilde's spending habits change when he gets married?
(a) He still spent money extravagantly.
(b) He bankrupted himself and his wife with bad investments.
(c) He started to save for a house in the country.
(d) He saved his money to finance the production of his plays.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Oscar Wilde need a special dispensation to join the group he joined in 1875?
2. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
3. What is the name of the friend who converted to Catholicism and influenced Oscar Wilde to consider converting?
4. How did Oscar Wilde handle the disruption of his Harvard lecture?
5. Which feat did Oscar Wilde claim to be capable of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to when she marries Oscar Wilde's father?
2. What did Oscar Wilde regret when his father died?
3. Why does Oxford extend Oscar Wilde's Demyship?
4. What factors made Oscar Wilde's lecturing tour in America a success?
5. Describe Oscar Wilde's meeting with Walt Whitman.
6. How did Oscar Wilde feel about his studies at Oxford?
7. What themes does Oscar Wilde write about in his journalism?
8. What were Oscar Wilde's greatest challenges in his first year at Oxford?
9. How was Oscar Wilde exposed to homosexuality?
10. With whom does Oscar Wilde visit Rome in 1875?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)