|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Oscar Wilde consider doing before his first trial?
(a) Filing additional charges.
(b) Withdrawing the charges.
(c) Renouncing homosexuality.
(d) Fleeing to Paris.
2. When was Oscar Wilde first released from prison?
3. How did Robert Ross help Oscar Wilde?
(a) He published Wilde's last work.
(b) He gave Wilde money for food.
(c) He introduced Wilde to willing supporters.
(d) He persuaded Wilde's mother to reinstate Wilde's allowance.
4. Which of Oscar Wilde's friends tried to discount Wilde's importance?
(a) Robert Harborough Sherard.
(b) James McNeill Whistler.
(c) Rennell Rodd.
(d) Marie Prescott.
5. How common was homosexuality in late-Victorian London?
(a) Common enough that Oscar Wilde had no trouble finding partners.
(b) Not common at all, and Oscar Wilde was a pariah for being homosexual.
(c) It was so common that no one seemed to care that he was homosexual.
(d) Not common enough that Oscar Wilde had an easy time finding partners.
6. What did Oscar Wilde discover that his lover was trying to do to him?
(a) Increase his fame by publishing his plays.
(b) Expose him out of love.
(c) Blackmail him by threatening to publish their letters.
(d) Get revenge for the lawsuit against his father.
7. In which prison was Oscar Wilde first imprisoned?
8. What did Oscar Wilde's lover do to change Wilde's mind before the first trial?
(a) He shed tears.
(b) He blackmailed Wilde.
(c) He threatened Wilde with scandal.
(d) He offered to give Wilde the help he needed.
9. When did Oscar Wilde publish "Salome"?
10. What were prison conditions like at Reading jail?
11. How did prison affect Oscar Wilde's health?
(a) Wilde nearly died when his illness was not treated.
(b) Wilde was pampered by prison guards.
(c) Wilde lost weight and got in shape.
(d) Wilde's health deteriorated rapidly.
12. What did Oscar Wilde do in Naples?
(a) Live with his lover.
(c) Write his last play.
(d) Write his memoirs.
13. What is the title Oscar Wilde gave to "The Duchess of Padua" when he produced it anonymously?
(a) "The Critic as Artist."
(b) "Guido Ferranti."
(c) "Lady Windermere's Fan."
(d) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
14. How did Oscar Wilde describe Christ's life?
(a) As the greatest of poems.
(b) As an iconic sculpture.
(c) As a tragic drama.
(d) As a moving song.
15. What caused Oscar Wilde to stop writing?
(a) He began to lose his memory.
(b) His health declined.
(c) He became ill and did not have the strength to write.
(d) He had headaches that blinded him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Oscar Wilde come across at his first trial?
2. Oscar Wilde said that men resemble which celestial body?
3. What did the public think of "Lady Windermere's Fan"?
4. What is Oscar Wilde's relationship with Major Nelson?
5. What was Oscar Wilde's clothing like in prison?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)