|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde studying for in the spring of 1876?
(a) His divinity exams.
(b) Qualifying exams.
(c) Engineering exams.
(d) Honor Moderations.
2. What trend was creating a scandal at Oxford University in 1875?
(b) Irish nationalism.
3. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
(a) Speranza Francesca.
(b) Lisbeth Horten.
(c) Jessica Linde.
(d) Roberta Montagna.
4. How well was Oscar Wilde's first lecture in America received?
(a) With spirited debate among the audience.
(b) With standing ovations.
(c) With hostile jeering.
(d) With warm applause.
5. Which intellectual invokes disciplined restraint?
6. When does Oscar Wilde marry?
7. Oscar Wilde moved in with an artist after he graduated from Oxford. What kind of art did this artist make?
(a) Surreal oil paintings.
(b) Bronze sculpture.
(c) Miniature street scenes.
(d) Female portraits.
8. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
(a) Melissa Banks.
(b) Jane Elgee.
(c) Martha Shepard.
(d) Constance Larue.
9. Why does Oscar Wilde resist converting to Catholicism?
(a) He was afraid of eternal damnation.
(b) He was afraid of being written out of his father's will.
(c) He distrusted Catholic priests.
(d) He did not know enough about Catholicism yet.
10. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She ignored it.
(b) She divorced him because of it.
(c) She tried to cure him.
(d) She discussed it openly.
11. What magazine does Oscar Wilde publish in from 1887 to 1888?
(a) Harper's Bazaar.
(b) Pall Mall Gazette.
(c) The London Times.
(d) Women's World.
12. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) Oscar Wilde's mother.
(b) Oscar Wilde's father.
(c) James McNeill Whistler.
(d) Florence Balcombe.
13. With which American writer does Oscar Wilde meet in Philadelphia while he is making his first set of American lectures?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(d) Margaret Fuller.
14. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
(a) He synthesized a new aesthetic ethics.
(b) He sided with Ruskin.
(c) He resolved to remain neutral.
(d) He sided with Pater.
15. Which American writer found Oscar Wilde to be contemptuous?
(a) William Dean Howells.
(b) Henry James.
(c) Stephen Crane.
(d) Mark Twain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Archibald Forbes?
2. Why did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
3. As Oscar Wilde watched how the French interpreted aestheticism, what did he see coming from aesthetic ideas?
4. What does Oscar Wilde do for work immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
5. Which direction does Oscar Wilde's lecturing tour travel in?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)