|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Oscar Wilde invited to lecture?
(a) In Scotland.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In Berlin.
(d) In America.
2. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
(a) To finish his play, "The Duchess of Padua."
(b) To work with Walter Pater.
(c) To meet a lover.
(d) To lecture at the Sorbonne.
3. When does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
4. What defines Oscar Wilde's style?
(a) Perverse humor.
(b) Epigrammatic wit.
(c) Conservative views.
(d) Exotic pets.
5. What is the name of the friend who converted to Catholicism and influenced Oscar Wilde to consider converting?
(a) Richard Williamson.
(b) David Hunter Blair.
(c) Eva Manning.
(d) Rupert Balcombe.
6. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
(a) Write poetry instead of drama.
(b) Produce his plays in America.
(c) Leave London for Paris.
(d) Marry a woman with money.
7. Oscar Wilde decorated his room with pictures of whom?
(a) Florence Balcombe.
(b) King Henry VIII
(c) Martin Luther and John Calvin.
(d) The Pope and Bishop Manning.
8. What is the theme of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) Marriage and manners.
(b) Homosexuality and art.
(c) Socialism and nihilism.
(d) Modernity and war.
9. Why does Oscar Wilde shy away from marriage?
(a) He was openly homosexual.
(b) He was still a student.
(c) He was in debt.
(d) He was expelled from school
10. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(b) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
(c) "The Duchess of Padua."
(d) "The Ballad of Reading Gaol."
11. What was Oscar Wilde studying for in the spring of 1876?
(a) Honor Moderations.
(b) His divinity exams.
(c) Engineering exams.
(d) Qualifying exams.
12. Who is Lillie Langtry?
(a) Oscar Wilde's boss' wife.
(b) Oscar Wilde's roommate's girlfriend.
(c) Oscar Wilde's good friend.
(d) Oscar Wilde's mother's friend.
13. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
(a) Lisbeth Horten.
(b) Jessica Linde.
(c) Roberta Montagna.
(d) Speranza Francesca.
14. Why did Oscar Wilde need a special dispensation to join the group he joined in 1875?
(a) He was under twenty-one.
(b) He was Catholic.
(c) He was Irish.
(d) He was Protestant.
15. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
(a) Martha Shepard.
(b) Jane Elgee.
(c) Melissa Banks.
(d) Constance Larue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the journal in which Oscar Wilde published a poem about a boy?
2. When does Oscar Wilde graduate from Oxford?
3. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
4. Oscar Wilde's debates with James McNeill Whistler are included in which of Wilde's works?
5. Which intellectual appeals to conscience over imagination?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)