|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the friend who converted to Catholicism and influenced Oscar Wilde to consider converting?
(a) Richard Williamson.
(b) David Hunter Blair.
(c) Rupert Balcombe.
(d) Eva Manning.
2. What did Oscar Wilde say the secret of life was at the end of his first American lecture?
3. Which intellectual appeals to conscience over imagination?
4. Why did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
(a) He failed his divinity examinations.
(b) He returned to school late at Easter term.
(c) His grades were not good enough.
(d) He was in a fight with another student.
5. When students disrupt one of Oscar Wilde's lectures, where does Oscar Wilde say the students have put their heads?
(a) In the clouds.
(b) In the lion's mouth.
(c) In the sewer.
(d) In their own ears.
6. What trend was creating a scandal at Oxford University in 1875?
(d) Irish nationalism.
7. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first public lecture in America?
(d) New York.
8. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She tried to cure him.
(b) She ignored it.
(c) She discussed it openly.
(d) She divorced him because of it.
9. With whom does Oscar Wilde move in when he goes to Paris?
(a) Marie Prescott.
(b) Archibald Forbes.
(c) Robert Harborough Sherard.
(d) Rennell Rodd.
10. What does Oscar Wilde encourage Lillie Langtry to do?
(a) Become his lover.
(b) Move to Paris.
(c) Become an actress.
(d) Divorce her husband.
11. Which intellectual invokes disciplined restraint?
12. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
(a) To meet a lover.
(b) To finish his play, "The Duchess of Padua."
(c) To lecture at the Sorbonne.
(d) To work with Walter Pater.
13. For how long did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three terms.
(c) A year.
(d) Half a year.
14. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
(a) An article.
(b) A short story.
(c) A poem.
(d) A book review.
15. Which item is part of each course during the dinner Oscar Wilde has in Leadville, Colorado?
(b) Cheddar cheese.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Oscar Wilde need a special dispensation to join the group he joined in 1875?
2. What is Oscar Wilde's father's name?
3. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
4. Why does Oscar Wilde resist converting to Catholicism?
5. How does Robert Harborough Sherard's impression of Oscar Wilde change once he gets to know him?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)