|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
(a) James McNeill Whistler's.
(b) Lillie Langtry's.
(c) Frank Miles'.
(d) His mother's.
2. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde turn to for spiritual guidance?
3. What split does Oscar Wilde's poetry explore?
(a) Between reflective and pragmatic man.
(b) Between Irish and English man.
(c) Between man and superman.
(d) Between aesthetic and ethical man.
4. Who is Archibald Forbes?
(a) Oscar Wilde's agent.
(b) An American art critic.
(c) A war journalist.
(d) One of Oscar Wilde's lovers.
5. What is the name of the friend who converted to Catholicism and influenced Oscar Wilde to consider converting?
(a) Richard Williamson.
(b) Rupert Balcombe.
(c) Eva Manning.
(d) David Hunter Blair.
6. How does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
(a) As a personality, through conversation with James McNeill Whistler.
(b) As an art critic, through his writing in the London art papers.
(c) As the son of a rich and famous mother.
(d) As a playwright, with his first play.
7. Who is Lillie Langtry?
(a) Oscar Wilde's boss' wife.
(b) Oscar Wilde's roommate's girlfriend.
(c) Oscar Wilde's mother's friend.
(d) Oscar Wilde's good friend.
8. What profession does Oscar Wilde give up in order to supplement his wife's income?
9. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
(a) He sided with Pater.
(b) He synthesized a new aesthetic ethics.
(c) He sided with Ruskin.
(d) He resolved to remain neutral.
10. What does Oxford University do for Oscar Wilde after his School's Examinations in 1878?
(a) Offered him a lecturership in aesthetics.
(b) Asked him to leave the school.
(c) Paid for his medical bills.
(d) Extended his Demyship for another year.
11. How does Oscar Wilde spend money?
12. Where does Oscar Wilde first publish?
(a) The Frankfurt Times.
(b) The Oxford Review.
(c) The Dublin University Magazine.
(d) The Irish Times.
13. What disruption took place during Oscar Wilde's Harvard lecture?
(a) Oscar Wilde was chased off the stage by angry students.
(b) Sixty students lampooned his style.
(c) A fight broke out between aestheticians.
(d) Unruly students rode horses through the lecture hall.
14. Which item is part of each course during the dinner Oscar Wilde has in Leadville, Colorado?
(b) Cheddar cheese.
15. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cables Oscar Wilde with an invitation to lecture?
2. What belief does Pater lead Oscar Wilde to?
3. What group did Oscar Wilde join in 1875?
4. What does Robert Harborough Sherard do for Oscar Wilde?
5. Where did Oscar Wilde spend his term while he was waiting to return to school in October 1877?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)