|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde interested in in school?
(c) Greek culture.
(d) Mechanical engineering.
2. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first public lecture in America?
(c) New York.
3. What is the theme of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) Modernity and war.
(b) Socialism and nihilism.
(c) Marriage and manners.
(d) Homosexuality and art.
4. Whom does Oscar Wilde marry?
(a) Marie Prescott.
(b) Sarah Bernhardt.
(c) Constance Lloyd.
(d) Lillie Langtry.
5. When does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
6. Oscar Wilde moved in with an artist after he graduated from Oxford. What kind of art did this artist make?
(a) Miniature street scenes.
(b) Bronze sculpture.
(c) Surreal oil paintings.
(d) Female portraits.
7. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
(a) They were poor because of the bankruptcy of Wilde's wife's father.
(b) They were wealthy with a bequest from Wilde's mother.
(c) They were in debt because of Wilde's extravagant expenses.
(d) They were looking forward to making a fortune in investments.
8. What career does Oscar Wilde explore while he is without his fellowship?
(d) Art critic.
9. What does Robert Harborough Sherard do for Oscar Wilde?
(a) He produced "The Duchess of Padua."
(b) He published Wilde's first book.
(c) He produced Wilde's first play.
(d) He wrote Wilde's biography.
10. How many children do Oscar Wilde and his wife have?
11. How does Oscar Wilde arrive in America?
(a) With a retinue of admirers.
(b) In desperate poverty.
(c) With distinctive flair.
(d) With open curiosity and enthusiasm.
12. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
(a) To join the Freemasons.
(b) To join Phi Beta Kappa.
(c) To pass the School's Examinations.
(d) To pass the Honour Moderations.
13. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
(a) Jessica Linde.
(b) Speranza Francesca.
(c) Roberta Montagna.
(d) Lisbeth Horten.
14. Where did Oscar Wilde spend his term while he was waiting to return to school in October 1877?
15. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She divorced him because of it.
(b) She discussed it openly.
(c) She ignored it.
(d) She tried to cure him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Oscar Wilde publish his first piece?
2. When does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
3. Why does Oscar Wilde linger in America after he completes his lectures?
4. Where is Oscar Wilde invited to lecture?
5. What is the name of the scholarship Oscar Wilde won to Oxford?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)