|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
(a) To work with Walter Pater.
(b) To finish his play, "The Duchess of Padua."
(c) To lecture at the Sorbonne.
(d) To meet a lover.
2. What is the theme of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) Socialism and nihilism.
(b) Marriage and manners.
(c) Modernity and war.
(d) Homosexuality and art.
3. Which intellectual appeals to conscience over imagination?
4. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
(a) To pass the School's Examinations.
(b) To join the Freemasons.
(c) To pass the Honour Moderations.
(d) To join Phi Beta Kappa.
5. How did Oscar Wilde handle the disruption of his Harvard lecture?
(a) He took off his jacket to cover the streaker's nakedness.
(b) He broke up the fight and resolved the quarrel.
(c) He outwitted the students by stealing the points they were lampooning him for.
(d) He faced the crowd down with a cane as a weapon.
6. When does Oscar Wilde marry?
7. When students disrupt one of Oscar Wilde's lectures, where does Oscar Wilde say the students have put their heads?
(a) In their own ears.
(b) In the clouds.
(c) In the sewer.
(d) In the lion's mouth.
8. What does Oscar Wilde do at Marie Prescott's request?
(a) He moved to Paris.
(b) He rewrote "Vera."
(c) He added a part for her in "The Duchess of Padua."
(d) He returned to England.
9. What defines Oscar Wilde's style?
(a) Perverse humor.
(b) Exotic pets.
(c) Epigrammatic wit.
(d) Conservative views.
10. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
(a) He found aestheticism more sinister in France.
(b) He found aestheticism more benevolent in France.
(c) He found aestheticism ridiculous in France.
(d) He found aestheticism less demanding in France.
11. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
(a) They were looking forward to making a fortune in investments.
(b) They were poor because of the bankruptcy of Wilde's wife's father.
(c) They were in debt because of Wilde's extravagant expenses.
(d) They were wealthy with a bequest from Wilde's mother.
12. What disruption took place during Oscar Wilde's Harvard lecture?
(a) A fight broke out between aestheticians.
(b) Sixty students lampooned his style.
(c) Oscar Wilde was chased off the stage by angry students.
(d) Unruly students rode horses through the lecture hall.
13. Why does Oscar Wilde linger in America after he completes his lectures?
(a) To visit with one of his mentors who had moved to America.
(b) To stay with a lover.
(c) To revise his lectures and write new material.
(d) To pursue his interests in the theatre.
14. When did Oscar Wilde matriculate at Oxford?
15. How does Oscar Wilde make money during his courtship of his wife?
(a) Ticket sales from the production of The Duchess of Padua.
(b) Book sales.
(d) Ticket sales from the production of Vera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
2. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first public lecture in America?
3. Where did Oscar Wilde spend his term while he was waiting to return to school in October 1877?
4. As Oscar Wilde watched how the French interpreted aestheticism, what did he see coming from aesthetic ideas?
5. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)