|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
(a) They were in debt because of Wilde's extravagant expenses.
(b) They were poor because of the bankruptcy of Wilde's wife's father.
(c) They were wealthy with a bequest from Wilde's mother.
(d) They were looking forward to making a fortune in investments.
2. How does Oscar Wilde arrive in America?
(a) With a retinue of admirers.
(b) With open curiosity and enthusiasm.
(c) With distinctive flair.
(d) In desperate poverty.
3. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first public lecture in America?
(b) New York.
4. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) Oscar Wilde's father.
(b) James McNeill Whistler.
(c) Oscar Wilde's mother.
(d) Florence Balcombe.
5. What is Robert Harborough Sherard's first impression of Oscar Wilde?
(a) He was scandalized by Wilde's views.
(b) He fell in love with Wilde.
(c) He thought Wilde was an impostor.
(d) He was awed by Wilde's wit and intelligence.
6. When does Oscar Wilde graduate from Oxford?
7. What was Oscar Wilde's father's profession?
(c) Eye doctor.
8. What is Oscar Wilde's daughter's name?
9. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
(a) He found aestheticism more sinister in France.
(b) He found aestheticism ridiculous in France.
(c) He found aestheticism less demanding in France.
(d) He found aestheticism more benevolent in France.
10. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
11. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
(a) He synthesized a new aesthetic ethics.
(b) He resolved to remain neutral.
(c) He sided with Ruskin.
(d) He sided with Pater.
12. Why does Oscar Wilde shy away from marriage?
(a) He was expelled from school
(b) He was in debt.
(c) He was openly homosexual.
(d) He was still a student.
13. When does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
14. How does Oscar Wilde spend money?
15. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
(a) To finish his play, "The Duchess of Padua."
(b) To lecture at the Sorbonne.
(c) To work with Walter Pater.
(d) To meet a lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde encourage Lillie Langtry to do?
2. How does Oscar Wilde return to England from America?
3. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde work with on road-building and beautification projects?
4. What magazine does Oscar Wilde publish in from 1887 to 1888?
5. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)