|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) Czarist Russia.
(b) Montparnasse, Paris.
(c) Contemporary London.
2. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
(a) A book review.
(b) A poem.
(c) A short story.
(d) An article.
3. Oscar Wilde decorated his room with pictures of whom?
(a) The Pope and Bishop Manning.
(b) King Henry VIII
(c) Martin Luther and John Calvin.
(d) Florence Balcombe.
4. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
(a) Roberta Montagna.
(b) Lisbeth Horten.
(c) Jessica Linde.
(d) Speranza Francesca.
5. Which intellectual invokes disciplined restraint?
6. Who is Lillie Langtry?
(a) Oscar Wilde's roommate's girlfriend.
(b) Oscar Wilde's boss' wife.
(c) Oscar Wilde's mother's friend.
(d) Oscar Wilde's good friend.
7. Why did Oscar Wilde need a special dispensation to join the group he joined in 1875?
(a) He was Irish.
(b) He was Catholic.
(c) He was Protestant.
(d) He was under twenty-one.
8. Who is Oscar Wilde's primary love interest at Oxford?
(a) Jane Thompson.
(b) Eva Fidelia.
(c) Florence Balcombe.
(d) Speranza Francesca.
9. How many children do Oscar Wilde and his wife have?
10. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
11. How does Robert Harborough Sherard's impression of Oscar Wilde change once he gets to know him?
(a) He realized that Wilde was an impostor and a poser.
(b) He came to appreciate his talents.
(c) He began to be scandalized by his views.
(d) He began to loathe him for his wit.
12. When did Oscar Wilde matriculate at Oxford?
13. When does Oscar Wilde graduate from Oxford?
14. How did Oscar Wilde do on the School's Examinations in 1878?
(a) He did not pass.
(b) He took second place.
(c) He took first place.
(d) He only passed the divinity exams.
15. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
(a) To join Phi Beta Kappa.
(b) To pass the Honour Moderations.
(c) To join the Freemasons.
(d) To pass the School's Examinations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Oscar Wilde's father's name?
2. How does Oscar Wilde spend money?
3. What trend was creating a scandal at Oxford University in 1875?
4. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
5. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)