|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde ill with late in his fourth year at Oxford?
2. What were the gate receipts for Oscar Wilde's first lecture in America?
3. What career does Oscar Wilde explore while he is without his fellowship?
(a) Art critic.
4. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the conflict between progress and authority in his reading?
(a) He resisted conforming to convention.
(b) He located the seat of moral reasoning in the individual.
(c) He adhered to social conventions.
(d) He invented his own morality.
5. How well had Oscar Wilde's studies prepared him for Oxford?
(a) He was so well prepared that he skipped several courses.
(b) He was on the same level as the rest of the students.
(c) He was far behind the other students and had to catch up.
(d) He was very well prepared and found the work boring.
6. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She tried to cure him.
(b) She ignored it.
(c) She divorced him because of it.
(d) She discussed it openly.
7. What does Oxford University do for Oscar Wilde after his School's Examinations in 1878?
(a) Paid for his medical bills.
(b) Asked him to leave the school.
(c) Extended his Demyship for another year.
(d) Offered him a lecturership in aesthetics.
8. Why did Oscar Wilde need a special dispensation to join the group he joined in 1875?
(a) He was Protestant.
(b) He was Catholic.
(c) He was under twenty-one.
(d) He was Irish.
9. What does Oscar Wilde do at Marie Prescott's request?
(a) He rewrote "Vera."
(b) He moved to Paris.
(c) He added a part for her in "The Duchess of Padua."
(d) He returned to England.
10. What religion is Oscar Wilde baptized into the second time?
11. How does Robert Harborough Sherard's impression of Oscar Wilde change once he gets to know him?
(a) He came to appreciate his talents.
(b) He began to loathe him for his wit.
(c) He began to be scandalized by his views.
(d) He realized that Wilde was an impostor and a poser.
12. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
(a) Lillie Langtry's.
(b) Frank Miles'.
(c) James McNeill Whistler's.
(d) His mother's.
13. Where does Oscar Wilde first publish?
(a) The Oxford Review.
(b) The Frankfurt Times.
(c) The Dublin University Magazine.
(d) The Irish Times.
14. How many children do Oscar Wilde and his wife have?
15. What was Oscar Wilde studying for in the spring of 1876?
(a) His divinity exams.
(b) Qualifying exams.
(c) Honor Moderations.
(d) Engineering exams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Oscar Wilde live with immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
2. How does Oscar Wilde make money during his courtship of his wife?
3. Who is Archibald Forbes?
4. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
5. What magazine does Oscar Wilde publish in from 1887 to 1888?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)