|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
(a) He returned to school late at Easter term.
(b) He failed his divinity examinations.
(c) He was in a fight with another student.
(d) His grades were not good enough.
2. Who cables Oscar Wilde with an invitation to lecture?
(a) Richard D'Oyly.
(b) President Garfield.
(c) James McNeill Whistler.
(d) Walt Whitman.
3. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde work with on road-building and beautification projects?
4. With whom does Oscar Wilde move in when he goes to Paris?
(a) Rennell Rodd.
(b) Archibald Forbes.
(c) Robert Harborough Sherard.
(d) Marie Prescott.
5. As Oscar Wilde watched how the French interpreted aestheticism, what did he see coming from aesthetic ideas?
6. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
(a) Produce his plays in America.
(b) Marry a woman with money.
(c) Write poetry instead of drama.
(d) Leave London for Paris.
7. What is the theme of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) Modernity and war.
(b) Marriage and manners.
(c) Socialism and nihilism.
(d) Homosexuality and art.
8. How long does Oscar Wilde stay in America after he finishes his lecture series?
(a) A year.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Two and a half months.
(d) Six months.
9. What is the name of the man who attacked Oscar Wilde mercilessly during his American lectures?
(a) Walter Pater.
(b) Howard Taft.
(c) Archibald Forbes.
(d) John Rockefeller.
10. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the conflict between progress and authority in his reading?
(a) He located the seat of moral reasoning in the individual.
(b) He adhered to social conventions.
(c) He invented his own morality.
(d) He resisted conforming to convention.
11. What does Oscar Wilde do at Marie Prescott's request?
(a) He moved to Paris.
(b) He returned to England.
(c) He added a part for her in "The Duchess of Padua."
(d) He rewrote "Vera."
12. What career does Oscar Wilde explore while he is without his fellowship?
(a) Art critic.
13. How does Oscar Wilde spend money?
14. Who does Oscar Wilde live with immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
(a) Frank Miles.
(b) Keith Balcombe.
(c) Robert Osborn.
(d) William Langtry.
15. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) "The Duchess of Padua."
(b) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
(c) "The Ballad of Reading Gaol."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde do for work immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
2. How did Oscar Wilde do on the School's Examinations in 1878?
3. What is the outcome of Oscar Wilde's travels and lectures in America?
4. How does Oscar Wilde return to England from America?
5. What is the setting of Oscar Wilde's first play?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)