|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Oscar Wilde publish his first piece?
2. What profession does Oscar Wilde give up in order to supplement his wife's income?
3. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
(a) They were looking forward to making a fortune in investments.
(b) They were in debt because of Wilde's extravagant expenses.
(c) They were wealthy with a bequest from Wilde's mother.
(d) They were poor because of the bankruptcy of Wilde's wife's father.
4. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
(a) His mother's.
(b) Frank Miles'.
(c) James McNeill Whistler's.
(d) Lillie Langtry's.
5. What does Oxford University do for Oscar Wilde after his School's Examinations in 1878?
(a) Extended his Demyship for another year.
(b) Paid for his medical bills.
(c) Offered him a lecturership in aesthetics.
(d) Asked him to leave the school.
6. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde turn to for spiritual guidance?
7. Which feat did Oscar Wilde claim to be capable of?
(a) Memorizing all the elements on the periodic table.
(b) Beating his teachers at chess.
(c) Memorizing the Iliad.
(d) Reading facing pages at the same time.
8. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
(a) Leave London for Paris.
(b) Marry a woman with money.
(c) Write poetry instead of drama.
(d) Produce his plays in America.
9. How did Oscar Wilde handle the disruption of his Harvard lecture?
(a) He faced the crowd down with a cane as a weapon.
(b) He outwitted the students by stealing the points they were lampooning him for.
(c) He broke up the fight and resolved the quarrel.
(d) He took off his jacket to cover the streaker's nakedness.
10. What is the name of the man who attacked Oscar Wilde mercilessly during his American lectures?
(a) Walter Pater.
(b) Howard Taft.
(c) Archibald Forbes.
(d) John Rockefeller.
11. Where does Oscar Wilde first publish?
(a) The Irish Times.
(b) The Oxford Review.
(c) The Dublin University Magazine.
(d) The Frankfurt Times.
12. What is Robert Harborough Sherard's first impression of Oscar Wilde?
(a) He was awed by Wilde's wit and intelligence.
(b) He fell in love with Wilde.
(c) He was scandalized by Wilde's views.
(d) He thought Wilde was an impostor.
13. What is the outcome of Oscar Wilde's travels and lectures in America?
(a) Oscar Wilde was embraced by west coast intellectuals.
(b) Americans successfully repudiated Oscar Wilde's aesthetic theories.
(c) Oscar Wilde's name had become a household word.
(d) Oscar Wilde established himself as one of Britain's best artists.
14. What kind of run does "Vera" have in America?
(a) Short and disappointing.
(b) Long and successful.
(c) Short but meteoric.
(d) Unspectacular, but moderately successful.
15. What disruption took place during Oscar Wilde's Harvard lecture?
(a) Sixty students lampooned his style.
(b) A fight broke out between aestheticians.
(c) Unruly students rode horses through the lecture hall.
(d) Oscar Wilde was chased off the stage by angry students.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oscar Wilde linger in America after he completes his lectures?
2. Oscar Wilde moved in with an artist after he graduated from Oxford. What kind of art did this artist make?
3. What religion is Oscar Wilde first baptized into?
4. When did Oscar Wilde's father die?
5. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first lecture in America?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)