|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde win in 1878?
(a) The Newdigate Prize.
(b) Second place in the Schools Examinations.
(c) His divinity degree.
(d) Second place in the Honour Moderations.
2. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the conflict between progress and authority in his reading?
(a) He located the seat of moral reasoning in the individual.
(b) He resisted conforming to convention.
(c) He adhered to social conventions.
(d) He invented his own morality.
3. What was Oscar Wilde interested in in school?
(c) Greek culture.
(d) Mechanical engineering.
4. Whom does Oscar Wilde marry?
(a) Marie Prescott.
(b) Lillie Langtry.
(c) Sarah Bernhardt.
(d) Constance Lloyd.
5. What did Oscar Wilde say the secret of life was at the end of his first American lecture?
6. How did Oscar Wilde handle the disruption of his Harvard lecture?
(a) He outwitted the students by stealing the points they were lampooning him for.
(b) He broke up the fight and resolved the quarrel.
(c) He faced the crowd down with a cane as a weapon.
(d) He took off his jacket to cover the streaker's nakedness.
7. What was Oscar Wilde's reaction to the attacks that were made on him?
(a) He sued his attackers for slander.
(b) He responded with vitriolic wit.
(c) He appealed to Bishop Manning for help.
(d) He skipped his Baltimore speaking engagement.
8. What is Oscar Wilde's daughter's name?
9. What were the gate receipts for Oscar Wilde's first lecture in America?
10. Oscar Wilde decorated his room with pictures of whom?
(a) The Pope and Bishop Manning.
(b) Florence Balcombe.
(c) King Henry VIII
(d) Martin Luther and John Calvin.
11. What is the name of the journal in which Oscar Wilde published a poem about a boy?
(a) Oxford Review.
(c) Dublin University Magazine.
(d) London Times.
12. How well had Oscar Wilde's studies prepared him for Oxford?
(a) He was very well prepared and found the work boring.
(b) He was on the same level as the rest of the students.
(c) He was so well prepared that he skipped several courses.
(d) He was far behind the other students and had to catch up.
13. Which feat did Oscar Wilde claim to be capable of?
(a) Memorizing the Iliad.
(b) Beating his teachers at chess.
(c) Reading facing pages at the same time.
(d) Memorizing all the elements on the periodic table.
14. What was Oscar Wilde's father's profession?
(a) Eye doctor.
15. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) Oscar Wilde's mother.
(b) James McNeill Whistler.
(c) Florence Balcombe.
(d) Oscar Wilde's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Robert Harborough Sherard's first impression of Oscar Wilde?
2. What career does Oscar Wilde explore while he is without his fellowship?
3. How well was Oscar Wilde's first lecture in America received?
4. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
5. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first lecture in America?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)