|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Oscar Wilde's primary love interest at Oxford?
(a) Florence Balcombe.
(b) Jane Thompson.
(c) Eva Fidelia.
(d) Speranza Francesca.
2. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
(a) Produce his plays in America.
(b) Leave London for Paris.
(c) Write poetry instead of drama.
(d) Marry a woman with money.
3. Which item is part of each course during the dinner Oscar Wilde has in Leadville, Colorado?
(b) Cheddar cheese.
4. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
(a) They were in debt because of Wilde's extravagant expenses.
(b) They were poor because of the bankruptcy of Wilde's wife's father.
(c) They were looking forward to making a fortune in investments.
(d) They were wealthy with a bequest from Wilde's mother.
5. Where is Oscar Wilde invited to lecture?
(a) In America.
(b) In Berlin.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In Scotland.
6. What kind of run does "Vera" have in America?
(a) Short but meteoric.
(b) Short and disappointing.
(c) Unspectacular, but moderately successful.
(d) Long and successful.
7. What religion is Oscar Wilde first baptized into?
8. What magazine does Oscar Wilde publish in from 1887 to 1888?
(a) Women's World.
(b) The London Times.
(c) Pall Mall Gazette.
(d) Harper's Bazaar.
9. Why is Oscar Wilde's first play not produced?
(a) Because the producers ran out of money.
(b) Because it dramatized an assassination attempt.
(c) Because Oscar Wilde's enemies poisoned the backers against him.
(d) Because Oscar Wilde withdrew it under political pressure.
10. What disruption took place during Oscar Wilde's Harvard lecture?
(a) A fight broke out between aestheticians.
(b) Oscar Wilde was chased off the stage by angry students.
(c) Unruly students rode horses through the lecture hall.
(d) Sixty students lampooned his style.
11. How did Oscar Wilde feel about his dialogue with William Butler Yeats?
(a) Depressed about the prospect of getting old.
(b) Repulsed by the presence of myth in literature.
(c) Satisfied with the decay of art and culture.
(d) Impressed with the nature of life and art.
12. What happens when Oscar Wilde tries to have his first play produced in America?
(a) It was received very well.
(b) The production did not get all the support it needed.
(c) The play was panned by critics.
(d) Nothing came of his attempts.
13. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's column in Women's World Magazine?
(a) "Literary and Other Notes."
(b) "Literary News."
(c) "Notes from America."
(d) "Notes from Paris."
14. What did Oscar Wilde say the secret of life was at the end of his first American lecture?
15. Where did Oscar Wilde spend his term while he was waiting to return to school in October 1877?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Archibald Forbes?
2. When students disrupt one of Oscar Wilde's lectures, where does Oscar Wilde say the students have put their heads?
3. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde turn to for spiritual guidance?
4. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
5. Who replaced Oscar Wilde as James McNeill Whistler's favorite in Wilde's absence?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)