|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
(a) His mother's.
(b) Frank Miles'.
(c) Lillie Langtry's.
(d) James McNeill Whistler's.
2. What was Oscar Wilde's greatest challenge when he matriculated at Oxford?
(a) To publish in a literary review.
(b) To lose his Irish accent.
(c) To hide his homosexuality.
(d) To finish at the top of his class.
3. What is Oscar Wilde's daughter's name?
4. What career does Oscar Wilde explore while he is without his fellowship?
(c) Art critic.
5. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) "The Ballad of Reading Gaol."
(b) "The Duchess of Padua."
(d) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
6. Which theme began to appear in Oscar Wilde's writing from 1887 to 1888?
(a) The ethical responsibility of the artist.
(b) Betrayal in relationships.
(c) Deceit and repression.
(d) The decline of literature.
7. What is the name of the journal in which Oscar Wilde published a poem about a boy?
(a) Oxford Review.
(b) Dublin University Magazine.
(c) London Times.
8. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first lecture in America?
(a) Broadway Theatre.
(b) Chickering Hall.
(c) Dickinson Hall.
(d) Buell Hall.
9. Who is Robert Ross?
(a) Oscar Wilde's mother's lawyer.
(b) The director of "Vera."
(c) Oscar Wilde's homosexual lover.
(d) Oscar Wilde's son.
10. What did Oscar Wilde say the secret of life was at the end of his first American lecture?
11. When students disrupt one of Oscar Wilde's lectures, where does Oscar Wilde say the students have put their heads?
(a) In their own ears.
(b) In the clouds.
(c) In the sewer.
(d) In the lion's mouth.
12. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde work with on road-building and beautification projects?
13. How long does Oscar Wilde stay in America after he finishes his lecture series?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two and a half months.
14. What is Oscar Wilde's father's name?
(a) William Robert Wilde.
(b) Richard Matthew Wilde.
(c) Randolph Hearst Wilde.
(d) Alexander Wilde.
15. How well had Oscar Wilde's studies prepared him for Oxford?
(a) He was on the same level as the rest of the students.
(b) He was very well prepared and found the work boring.
(c) He was far behind the other students and had to catch up.
(d) He was so well prepared that he skipped several courses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
2. When does Oscar Wilde graduate from Oxford?
3. What was Oscar Wilde's father's profession?
4. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
5. What was Oscar Wilde's reaction to the attacks that were made on him?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)