|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Oscar Wilde handle the disruption of his Harvard lecture?
(a) He outwitted the students by stealing the points they were lampooning him for.
(b) He faced the crowd down with a cane as a weapon.
(c) He took off his jacket to cover the streaker's nakedness.
(d) He broke up the fight and resolved the quarrel.
2. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
3. Whom does Oscar Wilde marry?
(a) Constance Lloyd.
(b) Lillie Langtry.
(c) Sarah Bernhardt.
(d) Marie Prescott.
4. As Oscar Wilde watched how the French interpreted aestheticism, what did he see coming from aesthetic ideas?
5. What was Oscar Wilde studying for in the spring of 1876?
(a) Engineering exams.
(b) His divinity exams.
(c) Qualifying exams.
(d) Honor Moderations.
6. What is Oscar Wilde's daughter's name?
7. How does Robert Harborough Sherard's impression of Oscar Wilde change once he gets to know him?
(a) He came to appreciate his talents.
(b) He began to loathe him for his wit.
(c) He began to be scandalized by his views.
(d) He realized that Wilde was an impostor and a poser.
8. What is Oscar Wilde's first publication?
(a) A book review.
(b) An article.
(c) A poem.
(d) A short story.
9. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
(a) He found aestheticism less demanding in France.
(b) He found aestheticism ridiculous in France.
(c) He found aestheticism more sinister in France.
(d) He found aestheticism more benevolent in France.
10. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's column in Women's World Magazine?
(a) "Literary News."
(b) "Notes from Paris."
(c) "Notes from America."
(d) "Literary and Other Notes."
11. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
(a) Melissa Banks.
(b) Constance Larue.
(c) Martha Shepard.
(d) Jane Elgee.
12. When does Oscar Wilde marry?
13. How many children do Oscar Wilde and his wife have?
14. What was Oscar Wilde's reaction to the attacks that were made on him?
(a) He skipped his Baltimore speaking engagement.
(b) He sued his attackers for slander.
(c) He appealed to Bishop Manning for help.
(d) He responded with vitriolic wit.
15. What were the gate receipts for Oscar Wilde's first lecture in America?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
2. Which item is part of each course during the dinner Oscar Wilde has in Leadville, Colorado?
3. What is the setting of Oscar Wilde's first play?
4. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
5. Oscar Wilde moved in with an artist after he graduated from Oxford. What kind of art did this artist make?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)