|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lillie Langtry?
(a) Oscar Wilde's roommate's girlfriend.
(b) Oscar Wilde's good friend.
(c) Oscar Wilde's mother's friend.
(d) Oscar Wilde's boss' wife.
2. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde turn to for spiritual guidance?
3. What trend was creating a scandal at Oxford University in 1875?
(d) Irish nationalism.
4. When did Oscar Wilde matriculate at Oxford?
5. Which American writer found Oscar Wilde to be contemptuous?
(a) Stephen Crane.
(b) Henry James.
(c) William Dean Howells.
(d) Mark Twain.
6. What is Oscar Wilde's daughter's name?
7. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She discussed it openly.
(b) She ignored it.
(c) She tried to cure him.
(d) She divorced him because of it.
8. How do Oscar Wilde's spending habits change when he gets married?
(a) He bankrupted himself and his wife with bad investments.
(b) He still spent money extravagantly.
(c) He started to save for a house in the country.
(d) He saved his money to finance the production of his plays.
9. What kind of run does "Vera" have in America?
(a) Long and successful.
(b) Short and disappointing.
(c) Unspectacular, but moderately successful.
(d) Short but meteoric.
10. What does Oscar Wilde encourage Lillie Langtry to do?
(a) Divorce her husband.
(b) Move to Paris.
(c) Become his lover.
(d) Become an actress.
11. How well had Oscar Wilde's studies prepared him for Oxford?
(a) He was far behind the other students and had to catch up.
(b) He was very well prepared and found the work boring.
(c) He was so well prepared that he skipped several courses.
(d) He was on the same level as the rest of the students.
12. What profession does Oscar Wilde give up in order to supplement his wife's income?
13. What does Oxford University do for Oscar Wilde after his School's Examinations in 1878?
(a) Extended his Demyship for another year.
(b) Paid for his medical bills.
(c) Offered him a lecturership in aesthetics.
(d) Asked him to leave the school.
14. What does Oscar Wilde do for work immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
(a) He lectured on aesthetics.
(b) He wrote art reviews.
(c) He edited the Encyclopedia Britannica.
(d) He taught at Oxford.
15. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
(a) To finish his play, "The Duchess of Padua."
(b) To meet a lover.
(c) To lecture at the Sorbonne.
(d) To work with Walter Pater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which intellectual invokes disciplined restraint?
2. What is the name of the journal in which Oscar Wilde published a poem about a boy?
3. What belief does Pater lead Oscar Wilde to?
4. What does Oscar Wilde's mother encourage him to do?
5. What is the name of the friend who converted to Catholicism and influenced Oscar Wilde to consider converting?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)