|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Oscar Wilde's spending habits change when he gets married?
(a) He bankrupted himself and his wife with bad investments.
(b) He still spent money extravagantly.
(c) He started to save for a house in the country.
(d) He saved his money to finance the production of his plays.
2. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She ignored it.
(b) She discussed it openly.
(c) She tried to cure him.
(d) She divorced him because of it.
3. How many children do Oscar Wilde and his wife have?
4. Where did Oscar Wilde spend his term while he was waiting to return to school in October 1877?
5. Oscar Wilde's debates with James McNeill Whistler are included in which of Wilde's works?
(a) "Personal Impressions of America."
(b) "The Picture of Dorian Gray."
(c) "The Duchess of Padua."
(d) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
6. What is the setting of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(b) Contemporary London.
(c) Czarist Russia.
(d) Montparnasse, Paris.
7. What was Oscar Wilde's reaction to the attacks that were made on him?
(a) He responded with vitriolic wit.
(b) He skipped his Baltimore speaking engagement.
(c) He sued his attackers for slander.
(d) He appealed to Bishop Manning for help.
8. What does Oscar Wilde do for work immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
(a) He taught at Oxford.
(b) He lectured on aesthetics.
(c) He wrote art reviews.
(d) He edited the Encyclopedia Britannica.
9. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
(a) To pass the School's Examinations.
(b) To join the Freemasons.
(c) To join Phi Beta Kappa.
(d) To pass the Honour Moderations.
10. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) Oscar Wilde's father.
(b) Oscar Wilde's mother.
(c) Florence Balcombe.
(d) James McNeill Whistler.
11. What was Oscar Wilde's greatest challenge when he matriculated at Oxford?
(a) To publish in a literary review.
(b) To lose his Irish accent.
(c) To hide his homosexuality.
(d) To finish at the top of his class.
12. Oscar Wilde's mother was a strong supporter of which political cause?
(a) Women's rights.
(c) Abolition of slavery.
(d) Irish nationalism.
13. What was Oscar Wilde ill with late in his fourth year at Oxford?
14. What kind of run does "Vera" have in America?
(a) Long and successful.
(b) Short but meteoric.
(c) Unspectacular, but moderately successful.
(d) Short and disappointing.
15. What was Oscar Wilde's father's profession?
(b) Eye doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Oscar Wilde give up in order to supplement his wife's income?
2. What magazine does Oscar Wilde publish in from 1887 to 1888?
3. Who is Oscar Wilde's primary love interest at Oxford?
4. Where does Oscar Wilde first publish?
5. How does Oscar Wilde make money during his courtship of his wife?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)