|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
(a) Lisbeth Horten.
(b) Speranza Francesca.
(c) Jessica Linde.
(d) Roberta Montagna.
2. Why does Oscar Wilde linger in America after he completes his lectures?
(a) To pursue his interests in the theatre.
(b) To stay with a lover.
(c) To visit with one of his mentors who had moved to America.
(d) To revise his lectures and write new material.
3. What does Oscar Wilde do for work immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
(a) He wrote art reviews.
(b) He lectured on aesthetics.
(c) He taught at Oxford.
(d) He edited the Encyclopedia Britannica.
4. What kind of run does "Vera" have in America?
(a) Long and successful.
(b) Short and disappointing.
(c) Short but meteoric.
(d) Unspectacular, but moderately successful.
5. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) Oscar Wilde's mother.
(b) Oscar Wilde's father.
(c) James McNeill Whistler.
(d) Florence Balcombe.
6. What does Robert Harborough Sherard do for Oscar Wilde?
(a) He wrote Wilde's biography.
(b) He produced "The Duchess of Padua."
(c) He published Wilde's first book.
(d) He produced Wilde's first play.
7. What is the name of the man who attacked Oscar Wilde mercilessly during his American lectures?
(a) Walter Pater.
(b) Archibald Forbes.
(c) John Rockefeller.
(d) Howard Taft.
8. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
(a) Jane Elgee.
(b) Melissa Banks.
(c) Constance Larue.
(d) Martha Shepard.
9. Where does Oscar Wilde give his first public lecture in America?
(a) New York.
10. Where did Oscar Wilde spend his term while he was waiting to return to school in October 1877?
11. When did Oscar Wilde's father die?
12. When does Oscar Wilde marry?
13. What religion is Oscar Wilde baptized into the second time?
14. Why is Oscar Wilde's first play not produced?
(a) Because Oscar Wilde withdrew it under political pressure.
(b) Because Oscar Wilde's enemies poisoned the backers against him.
(c) Because the producers ran out of money.
(d) Because it dramatized an assassination attempt.
15. For how long did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
(a) Two years.
(b) Half a year.
(c) A year.
(d) Three terms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cables Oscar Wilde with an invitation to lecture?
2. When does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
3. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
4. What defines Oscar Wilde's style?
5. Which direction does Oscar Wilde's lecturing tour travel in?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)