|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's column in Women's World Magazine?
(a) "Literary and Other Notes."
(b) "Notes from America."
(c) "Literary News."
(d) "Notes from Paris."
2. How does Oscar Wilde arrive in America?
(a) In desperate poverty.
(b) With open curiosity and enthusiasm.
(c) With a retinue of admirers.
(d) With distinctive flair.
3. What state are Oscar Wilde and his wife's finances in when they marry?
(a) They were looking forward to making a fortune in investments.
(b) They were wealthy with a bequest from Wilde's mother.
(c) They were poor because of the bankruptcy of Wilde's wife's father.
(d) They were in debt because of Wilde's extravagant expenses.
4. What does Robert Harborough Sherard do for Oscar Wilde?
(a) He wrote Wilde's biography.
(b) He produced Wilde's first play.
(c) He produced "The Duchess of Padua."
(d) He published Wilde's first book.
5. Who is Archibald Forbes?
(a) A war journalist.
(b) Oscar Wilde's agent.
(c) One of Oscar Wilde's lovers.
(d) An American art critic.
6. What trend was creating a scandal at Oxford University in 1875?
(d) Irish nationalism.
7. What is the setting of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) Montparnasse, Paris.
(b) Czarist Russia.
(d) Contemporary London.
8. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) Florence Balcombe.
(b) James McNeill Whistler.
(c) Oscar Wilde's father.
(d) Oscar Wilde's mother.
9. With which American writer does Oscar Wilde meet in Philadelphia while he is making his first set of American lectures?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(c) Margaret Fuller.
(d) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
10. Oscar Wilde's debates with James McNeill Whistler are included in which of Wilde's works?
(a) "The Importance of Being Earnest."
(b) "Personal Impressions of America."
(c) "The Picture of Dorian Gray."
(d) "The Duchess of Padua."
11. Who replaced Oscar Wilde as James McNeill Whistler's favorite in Wilde's absence?
(a) Rennell Rodd.
(b) Archibald Forbes.
(c) Lillie Langtry.
(d) The Duchess of Padua.
12. What was Oscar Wilde studying for in the spring of 1876?
(a) Qualifying exams.
(b) His divinity exams.
(c) Engineering exams.
(d) Honor Moderations.
13. What group did Oscar Wilde join in 1875?
(a) Kappa Sigma.
(b) The Masons.
(c) The Republicans.
(d) The Elks.
14. What is the theme of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) Socialism and nihilism.
(b) Homosexuality and art.
(c) Modernity and war.
(d) Marriage and manners.
15. How well was Oscar Wilde's first lecture in America received?
(a) With warm applause.
(b) With spirited debate among the audience.
(c) With standing ovations.
(d) With hostile jeering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which feat did Oscar Wilde claim to be capable of?
2. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
3. Oscar Wilde decorated his room with pictures of whom?
4. Where is Oscar Wilde invited to lecture?
5. What does Oscar Wilde do for work immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)