|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Oscar Wilde move in when he goes to Paris?
(a) Robert Harborough Sherard.
(b) Marie Prescott.
(c) Archibald Forbes.
(d) Rennell Rodd.
2. How does Oscar Wilde spend money?
3. Oscar Wilde decorated his room with pictures of whom?
(a) The Pope and Bishop Manning.
(b) Florence Balcombe.
(c) Martin Luther and John Calvin.
(d) King Henry VIII
4. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) Oscar Wilde's mother.
(b) James McNeill Whistler.
(c) Florence Balcombe.
(d) Oscar Wilde's father.
5. How did Oscar Wilde handle the disruption of his Harvard lecture?
(a) He took off his jacket to cover the streaker's nakedness.
(b) He broke up the fight and resolved the quarrel.
(c) He outwitted the students by stealing the points they were lampooning him for.
(d) He faced the crowd down with a cane as a weapon.
6. Which intellectual appeals to conscience over imagination?
7. How does Oscar Wilde's wife handle the news of Wilde's homosexuality?
(a) She discussed it openly.
(b) She tried to cure him.
(c) She ignored it.
(d) She divorced him because of it.
8. Which direction does Oscar Wilde's lecturing tour travel in?
(a) From the east coast to the west coast and back.
(b) From the south to the northeast and back to the south.
(c) From the north to the south and then west and north before returning to the east.
(d) From the northeast, west through Canada to the West Coast, and south again before returing east.
9. What is the name of the journal in which Oscar Wilde published a poem about a boy?
(a) Oxford Review.
(c) London Times.
(d) Dublin University Magazine.
10. Where did Oscar Wilde spend his term while he was waiting to return to school in October 1877?
11. Which feat did Oscar Wilde claim to be capable of?
(a) Memorizing the Iliad.
(b) Reading facing pages at the same time.
(c) Beating his teachers at chess.
(d) Memorizing all the elements on the periodic table.
12. What did Oscar Wilde say the secret of life was at the end of his first American lecture?
13. Why is Oscar Wilde's first play not produced?
(a) Because Oscar Wilde withdrew it under political pressure.
(b) Because Oscar Wilde's enemies poisoned the backers against him.
(c) Because it dramatized an assassination attempt.
(d) Because the producers ran out of money.
14. How does Robert Harborough Sherard's impression of Oscar Wilde change once he gets to know him?
(a) He realized that Wilde was an impostor and a poser.
(b) He came to appreciate his talents.
(c) He began to be scandalized by his views.
(d) He began to loathe him for his wit.
15. Where is Oscar Wilde invited to lecture?
(a) In America.
(b) In Scotland.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In Berlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Oscar Wilde linger in America after he completes his lectures?
2. Where does Oscar Wilde first publish?
3. Why does Oscar Wilde shy away from marriage?
4. What was Oscar Wilde's greatest challenge when he matriculated at Oxford?
5. Which theme began to appear in Oscar Wilde's writing from 1887 to 1888?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)