|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oscar Wilde spend money?
2. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
(a) To join Phi Beta Kappa.
(b) To pass the School's Examinations.
(c) To pass the Honour Moderations.
(d) To join the Freemasons.
3. For how long did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
(a) Half a year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three terms.
(d) A year.
4. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
(a) He sided with Ruskin.
(b) He resolved to remain neutral.
(c) He sided with Pater.
(d) He synthesized a new aesthetic ethics.
5. How well had Oscar Wilde's studies prepared him for Oxford?
(a) He was very well prepared and found the work boring.
(b) He was far behind the other students and had to catch up.
(c) He was on the same level as the rest of the students.
(d) He was so well prepared that he skipped several courses.
6. How do Oscar Wilde's spending habits change when he gets married?
(a) He started to save for a house in the country.
(b) He saved his money to finance the production of his plays.
(c) He still spent money extravagantly.
(d) He bankrupted himself and his wife with bad investments.
7. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) Oscar Wilde's mother.
(b) James McNeill Whistler.
(c) Florence Balcombe.
(d) Oscar Wilde's father.
8. Which American writer found Oscar Wilde to be contemptuous?
(a) William Dean Howells.
(b) Stephen Crane.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Henry James.
9. What happens when Oscar Wilde tries to have his first play produced in America?
(a) Nothing came of his attempts.
(b) The production did not get all the support it needed.
(c) It was received very well.
(d) The play was panned by critics.
10. How did Oscar Wilde handle the disruption of his Harvard lecture?
(a) He faced the crowd down with a cane as a weapon.
(b) He took off his jacket to cover the streaker's nakedness.
(c) He broke up the fight and resolved the quarrel.
(d) He outwitted the students by stealing the points they were lampooning him for.
11. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
(a) Martha Shepard.
(b) Melissa Banks.
(c) Constance Larue.
(d) Jane Elgee.
12. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde work with on road-building and beautification projects?
13. What is Oscar Wilde's daughter's name?
14. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
(a) Speranza Francesca.
(b) Lisbeth Horten.
(c) Jessica Linde.
(d) Roberta Montagna.
15. Why did Oscar Wilde need a special dispensation to join the group he joined in 1875?
(a) He was Irish.
(b) He was Protestant.
(c) He was under twenty-one.
(d) He was Catholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which intellectual appeals to conscience over imagination?
2. Oscar Wilde decorated his room with pictures of whom?
3. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
4. What is the setting of Oscar Wilde's first play?
5. What magazine does Oscar Wilde publish in from 1887 to 1888?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)