|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Oscar Wilde's primary challenge in his fourth year at Oxford?
(a) To pass the School's Examinations.
(b) To join the Freemasons.
(c) To join Phi Beta Kappa.
(d) To pass the Honour Moderations.
2. What is the name of the scholarship Oscar Wilde won to Oxford?
3. Who does Oscar Wilde live with immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
(a) Frank Miles.
(b) Keith Balcombe.
(c) Robert Osborn.
(d) William Langtry.
4. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
(a) He sided with Ruskin.
(b) He resolved to remain neutral.
(c) He sided with Pater.
(d) He synthesized a new aesthetic ethics.
5. Why did Oscar Wilde need a special dispensation to join the group he joined in 1875?
(a) He was Protestant.
(b) He was Catholic.
(c) He was Irish.
(d) He was under twenty-one.
6. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) James McNeill Whistler.
(b) Oscar Wilde's father.
(c) Florence Balcombe.
(d) Oscar Wilde's mother.
7. Who cables Oscar Wilde with an invitation to lecture?
(a) Richard D'Oyly.
(b) James McNeill Whistler.
(c) President Garfield.
(d) Walt Whitman.
8. What group did Oscar Wilde join in 1875?
(a) Kappa Sigma.
(b) The Masons.
(c) The Republicans.
(d) The Elks.
9. With whom does Oscar Wilde move in when he goes to Paris?
(a) Marie Prescott.
(b) Rennell Rodd.
(c) Robert Harborough Sherard.
(d) Archibald Forbes.
10. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
(a) To finish his play, "The Duchess of Padua."
(b) To lecture at the Sorbonne.
(c) To work with Walter Pater.
(d) To meet a lover.
11. What was Oscar Wilde's father's profession?
(a) Eye doctor.
12. How does Robert Harborough Sherard's impression of Oscar Wilde change once he gets to know him?
(a) He realized that Wilde was an impostor and a poser.
(b) He came to appreciate his talents.
(c) He began to be scandalized by his views.
(d) He began to loathe him for his wit.
13. Oscar Wilde decorated his room with pictures of whom?
(a) Florence Balcombe.
(b) King Henry VIII
(c) Martin Luther and John Calvin.
(d) The Pope and Bishop Manning.
14. When does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
15. What does Oscar Wilde encourage Lillie Langtry to do?
(a) Become an actress.
(b) Divorce her husband.
(c) Become his lover.
(d) Move to Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oscar Wilde moved in with an artist after he graduated from Oxford. What kind of art did this artist make?
2. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
3. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
4. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
5. Which theme began to appear in Oscar Wilde's writing from 1887 to 1888?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)