|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Oscar Wilde watched how the French interpreted aestheticism, what did he see coming from aesthetic ideas?
2. Oscar Wilde moved in with an artist after he graduated from Oxford. What kind of art did this artist make?
(a) Surreal oil paintings.
(b) Miniature street scenes.
(c) Female portraits.
(d) Bronze sculpture.
3. Who moves to London after Oscar Wilde graduates from Oxford?
(a) Oscar Wilde's mother.
(b) James McNeill Whistler.
(c) Florence Balcombe.
(d) Oscar Wilde's father.
4. What kind of run does "Vera" have in America?
(a) Long and successful.
(b) Unspectacular, but moderately successful.
(c) Short and disappointing.
(d) Short but meteoric.
5. Who does Oscar Wilde live with immediately after he graduates from Oxford?
(a) William Langtry.
(b) Keith Balcombe.
(c) Robert Osborn.
(d) Frank Miles.
6. What does Oxford University do for Oscar Wilde after his School's Examinations in 1878?
(a) Offered him a lecturership in aesthetics.
(b) Asked him to leave the school.
(c) Paid for his medical bills.
(d) Extended his Demyship for another year.
7. How does Oscar Wilde achieve fame?
(a) As the son of a rich and famous mother.
(b) As a personality, through conversation with James McNeill Whistler.
(c) As an art critic, through his writing in the London art papers.
(d) As a playwright, with his first play.
8. Where is Oscar Wilde invited to lecture?
(a) In Paris.
(b) In Berlin.
(c) In America.
(d) In Scotland.
9. How do Oscar Wilde's spending habits change when he gets married?
(a) He saved his money to finance the production of his plays.
(b) He still spent money extravagantly.
(c) He bankrupted himself and his wife with bad investments.
(d) He started to save for a house in the country.
10. Why did Oscar Wilde need a special dispensation to join the group he joined in 1875?
(a) He was under twenty-one.
(b) He was Protestant.
(c) He was Irish.
(d) He was Catholic.
11. What does Oscar Wilde encourage Lillie Langtry to do?
(a) Become his lover.
(b) Divorce her husband.
(c) Become an actress.
(d) Move to Paris.
12. What religion is Oscar Wilde baptized into the second time?
13. Whose house does Oscar Wilde move out of while his first play is being prepared?
(a) James McNeill Whistler's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) Lillie Langtry's.
(d) Frank Miles'.
14. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
(a) He found aestheticism ridiculous in France.
(b) He found aestheticism less demanding in France.
(c) He found aestheticism more benevolent in France.
(d) He found aestheticism more sinister in France.
15. What was Oscar Wilde's greatest challenge when he matriculated at Oxford?
(a) To lose his Irish accent.
(b) To hide his homosexuality.
(c) To finish at the top of his class.
(d) To publish in a literary review.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do Oscar Wilde and his wife have?
2. How well had Oscar Wilde's studies prepared him for Oxford?
3. Whom does Oscar Wilde marry?
4. Which intellectual appeals to conscience over imagination?
5. Why does Oscar Wilde shy away from marriage?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)