|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oscar Wilde return to England from America?
(a) In poverty.
(b) Rich with American dollars.
(c) On his own boat.
(d) With fame, but little money.
2. In what year was Oscar Wilde born?
3. With which American writer does Oscar Wilde meet in Philadelphia while he is making his first set of American lectures?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Margaret Fuller.
4. When did Oscar Wilde's father die?
5. What happens when Oscar Wilde tries to have his first play produced in America?
(a) The production did not get all the support it needed.
(b) The play was panned by critics.
(c) It was received very well.
(d) Nothing came of his attempts.
6. What is Oscar Wilde's father's name?
(a) Alexander Wilde.
(b) Randolph Hearst Wilde.
(c) Richard Matthew Wilde.
(d) William Robert Wilde.
7. When does Oscar Wilde marry?
8. Which intellectual invokes disciplined restraint?
9. What religion is Oscar Wilde baptized into the second time?
10. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde turn to for spiritual guidance?
11. What is the theme of Oscar Wilde's first play?
(a) Modernity and war.
(b) Homosexuality and art.
(c) Socialism and nihilism.
(d) Marriage and manners.
12. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde work with on road-building and beautification projects?
13. What religion is Oscar Wilde first baptized into?
14. For how long did Oscar Wilde lose his scholarship?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three terms.
(c) A year.
(d) Half a year.
15. What does Oscar Wilde encourage Lillie Langtry to do?
(a) Become his lover.
(b) Divorce her husband.
(c) Move to Paris.
(d) Become an actress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which direction does Oscar Wilde's lecturing tour travel in?
2. What profession does Oscar Wilde take up in order to supplement his wife's income?
3. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's column in Women's World Magazine?
4. What does Oscar Wilde win in 1878?
5. What is the outcome of Oscar Wilde's travels and lectures in America?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)