|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21, Prisoner at Large.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Robert Harborough Sherard's first impression of Oscar Wilde?
(a) He thought Wilde was an impostor.
(b) He fell in love with Wilde.
(c) He was scandalized by Wilde's views.
(d) He was awed by Wilde's wit and intelligence.
2. With which American writer does Oscar Wilde meet in Philadelphia while he is making his first set of American lectures?
(a) Margaret Fuller.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(d) Walt Whitman.
3. What magazine does Oscar Wilde publish in from 1887 to 1888?
(a) The London Times.
(b) Women's World.
(c) Pall Mall Gazette.
(d) Harper's Bazaar.
4. How did Oscar Wilde feel about how the French interpreted aestheticism?
(a) He found aestheticism more sinister in France.
(b) He found aestheticism ridiculous in France.
(c) He found aestheticism less demanding in France.
(d) He found aestheticism more benevolent in France.
5. What was the punishment for homosexuality in England in the late 1800s?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oscar Wilde return to England from America?
2. How did Oscar Wilde set the stage for his own prosecution?
3. Why does Oscar Wilde linger in America after he completes his lectures?
4. How was Oscar Wilde's novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray," received?
5. Which of Oscar Wilde's friends tried to discount Wilde's importance?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)