|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, Doomed Deferred.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oscar Wilde resolve the opposition between Ruskin and Pater?
(a) He sided with Ruskin.
(b) He synthesized a new aesthetic ethics.
(c) He sided with Pater.
(d) He resolved to remain neutral.
2. Why does Oscar Wilde go to Paris?
(a) To lecture at the Sorbonne.
(b) To finish his play, "The Duchess of Padua."
(c) To meet a lover.
(d) To work with Walter Pater.
3. With which American writer does Oscar Wilde meet in Philadelphia while he is making his first set of American lectures?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Margaret Fuller.
(c) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(d) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
4. What belief does Pater lead Oscar Wilde to?
(a) Work can set you free.
(b) Art can transcend reality.
(c) Art can improve society.
(d) Man can govern himself.
5. What is the name of the man who attacked Oscar Wilde mercilessly during his American lectures?
(a) John Rockefeller.
(b) Howard Taft.
(c) Walter Pater.
(d) Archibald Forbes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Oscar Wilde's column in Women's World Magazine?
2. What is the theme of Oscar Wilde's first play?
3. Which intellectual does Oscar Wilde work with on road-building and beautification projects?
4. Which intellectual invokes disciplined restraint?
5. What was the punishment for homosexuality in England in the late 1800s?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)