Chapter 1, Toil of Growing Up
1. In what year was Oscar Wilde born?
2. Oscar Wilde's mother was a strong supporter of which political cause?
(a) Women's rights.
(b) Irish nationalism.
(c) Abolition of slavery.
3. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
(a) Martha Shepard.
(b) Jane Elgee.
(c) Melissa Banks.
(d) Constance Larue.
4. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
(a) Roberta Montagna.
(b) Jessica Linde.
(c) Lisbeth Horten.
(d) Speranza Francesca.
5. What is Oscar Wilde's father's name?
(a) Randolph Hearst Wilde.
(b) William Robert Wilde.
(c) Alexander Wilde.
(d) Richard Matthew Wilde.
6. What was Oscar Wilde's father's profession?
(b) Eye doctor.
7. What does Ellman give as a possible reason for Wilde's dislike for sports?
(a) Wilde broke his arm twice.
(b) Wilde had an early childhood disease which deformed him.
(c) Wilde was bullied by older boys.
(d) Wilde was trampled in a soccer game.
8. Which feat did Oscar Wilde claim to be capable of?
(a) Reading facing pages at the same time.
(b) Beating his teachers at chess.
(c) Memorizing all the elements on the periodic table.
(d) Memorizing the Iliad.
This section contains 4,674 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)