Chapter 1, Toil of Growing Up
1. In what year was Oscar Wilde born?
2. Oscar Wilde's mother was a strong supporter of which political cause?
(a) Women's rights.
(b) Irish nationalism.
(d) Abolition of slavery.
3. What was Oscar Wilde's mother's name before she changed it?
(a) Jane Elgee.
(b) Melissa Banks.
(c) Martha Shepard.
(d) Constance Larue.
4. What does Oscar Wilde's mother change her name to?
(a) Lisbeth Horten.
(b) Roberta Montagna.
(c) Speranza Francesca.
(d) Jessica Linde.
5. What is Oscar Wilde's father's name?
(a) William Robert Wilde.
(b) Richard Matthew Wilde.
(c) Randolph Hearst Wilde.
(d) Alexander Wilde.
6. What was Oscar Wilde's father's profession?
(a) Eye doctor.
7. What does Ellman give as a possible reason for Wilde's dislike for sports?
(a) Wilde was trampled in a soccer game.
(b) Wilde had an early childhood disease which deformed him.
(c) Wilde was bullied by older boys.
(d) Wilde broke his arm twice.
8. Which feat did Oscar Wilde claim to be capable of?
(a) Memorizing all the elements on the periodic table.
(b) Beating his teachers at chess.
(c) Reading facing pages at the same time.
(d) Memorizing the Iliad.
This section contains 4,674 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)