|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the names of Lucinda's parents?
(a) Julia and Daniel.
(b) Patty and John.
(c) Nancy and Dick.
(d) Elizabeth and Abel.
2. What does the willow pattern on the Stratton's china look like to Oscar?
(a) Letters from the alphabet.
(b) A beautiful drawing.
(d) Pagan symbols.
3. Where is Oscar sitting when Lucinda talks with him on board the ship?
(a) On the sun deck.
(b) Red-velvet settee.
(c) In the bathtub.
(d) Lounge chair.
4. What does superstition say about a caul?
(a) Adults should not use it for fear of disease.
(b) It brings good luck to babies.
(c) It protects against drowning.
(d) It is a bad luck charm.
5. What did Lucinda's parents buy her for a birthday gift?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theophilus tell Oscar that the yellow "tor" stone is made of?
2. What does Ian Wardley-Fish teach Oscar to do?
3. What is the name of the phenomenon having to do with glass that Lucinda witnessed as a young girl with her father?
4. What does Mr. Stratton call Oscar at the end of Chapter 30?
5. What is Lucinda's state of mind when she first arrives on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dennis Hasset's reaction to meeting Lucinda?
2. How does Theophilus make it difficult for Lucy Millar to tend to her chores in the Stratton's kitchen?
3. Describe Oscar's view of gambling.
4. Describe Reverend Dennis Hasset.
5. Why does Lucinda move to Sydney?
6. Why does Lucinda like to go to Mr. d'Abb's house in the evenings?
7. Describe how Lucinda meets Oscar on board the Leviathan.
8. Why did Lucinda spend a year in London?
9. How does Oscar react to seeing the track for the first time?
10. How does Reverend Stratton respond when Oscar sends him coffee?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)