|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX: Authority and the Adventurer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chesterton say there is no equality or inequality in nature?
(a) The standard of value changes within each species.
(b) Humans cannot judge by animal standards.
(c) Oligarchy is a human construction.
(d) There is no standard for value.
2. What is the thesis of Mrs. Besant's book?
(a) Man's largest desire is unity with all of humanity.
(b) All religions are the same, and their church is the universal self.
(c) God is distant from the world and man must struggle on alone.
(d) Each religion has the same basic tenets but a different God figure.
3. When materialism leads a man to fatalism, what does it also accomplish, according to Chesterton?
(a) It acts as a liberating force.
(b) It also destroys his humanity.
(c) It cripples his free will.
(d) It also destroys his sense of hope.
4. What does Chesterton say is the result of believing that progress is a natural, predictable happening?
(a) A person ceases to believe in progress.
(b) A person becomes lazy.
(c) A person works harder to achieve this.
(d) A person looks for ethical support.
5. In Chesterton's image, how did he feel once his religious opinion changed? (Chesterton 2000, pg. 235)
(a) The army had fled before the light of his revelation.
(b) Fairyland was no longer important to his thinking.
(c) The dragon had been conquered.
(d) The land was lit up even back to his childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What people group does Chesterton offer as an example that superstition strengthens rather than weakens?
2. What thing does Chesterton despise more than anything else?
3. What does Chesterton say happens when a skeptic revolts against everything?
4. What does Chesterton define as the problem with pessimists?
5. In Chesterton's thoughts, Christianity came to assert passionately what idea?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)