|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII: The Romance of Orthodoxy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chesterton name as the second principle of democracy?
(a) Political instinct is one thing men hold in common.
(b) Protection of private property is one thing men hold in common.
(c) Men's actions have meaning only by their own standards.
(d) Men's actions have meaning only when they relate to the cultural standards.
2. What is Pimlico?
(a) Chesterton's favorite dog.
(b) A dreary English town.
(c) A dreary American town.
(d) An English newspaper.
3. How does Chesterton end Chapter One?
(a) Beginning to lay the foundation of Christian-Judeo history.
(b) Saying that he will write another book if challenged.
(c) Claiming to prove every premise to his thesis.
(d) Exhorting the reader to examine his definition of "orthodoxy."
4. In the middle of Chapter One, why does Chesterton say this book is a joke on him?
(a) He went looking for something that is already known.
(b) He does not take its content seriously.
(c) No one around him agrees with his argument.
(d) He wrote it so he could win a bet.
5. Why did the serious changes in our political outlook occur at the beginning of the nineteenth century rather than at the end?
(a) At the end, men were caught up in religious questions.
(b) At the end, men began to believe wholeheartedly in certain things.
(c) At the beginning, men still believed fixedly in certain things.
(d) At the beginning, intellectualism was more highly encouraged.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the book look in relation to Chesterton, according to the author himself?
2. Why does Chesterton say that any discussion about the creation/sustaining principle in the world must be metaphorical?
3. What happened as Chesterton put the final touches onto the heresy he had created?
4. In Chapter IV, The Ethics of Elfland, what does Chesterton name as the first principle of democracy?
5. As the reader can infer from the beginning of Chapter Two, what is Hanwell?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)