|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V: The Flag of the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chesterton say that satire is disappearing from modern literature?
(a) There is nothing to be fierce about.
(b) Modern satire takes different forms than literature.
(c) Satire is too violent for the modern mind.
(d) Writers are not taught to appreciate satire.
2. What thing does Chesterton despise more than anything else?
(a) Pure sophistry.
(b) An illogical argument.
(c) A blatant lie.
(d) The creativity of desperation.
3. What, according to Chesterton, is the proper place for humility?
(a) In a man's sense of conviction.
(b) In a man's perception of others.
(c) In a man's view of himself.
(d) In a man's sense of ambition and effort.
4. Why does Chesterton not claim this new-found philosophy as his own?
(a) It is a way of living rather than a philosophy.
(b) It belongs to God and humanity.
(c) He is too modest to claim his own work.
(d) He did not really find or invent it.
5. What fact do religious men no longer accept as a foundational belief?
(b) Righteous wrath.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chesterton, what effect does the moralists' attitude have on the cosmos?
2. According to Chesterton at the beginning of the first chapter, why did he write the book?
3. According to Chesterton, what is too big an undertaking for a book even of a larger scope?
4. In looking at Christianity and materialism, what coincidence stopped Chesterton in his tracks?
5. What does Chesterton say concerning the boundaries of the will?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)