|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fanny give to Vivian as a Christmas gift in 1929?
2. How far does Vivian walk from the Grotes' home to the schoolhouse after she's been kicked out?
3. The Penobscot Indians are a tribe belonging to what confederacy?
4. What word is used in Section 3 to describe "a stew of diced meat, onion, and vegetables, with mustard, ginger, and vinegar"?
5. How many students are in the classroom with Vivian at her new school when she lives with the Grotes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who adopts Vivian after she leaves the Byrnes' home in Section 3? What are the motivations of this couple?
2. What are some of the historical aspects of Orphan Train that are presented in Section 3?
3. How is Vivian's meeting with the Nielsens described in Section 4? What agreement do the Nielsens reach regarding Vivian?
4. What are Vivian's first impressions of the Grotes' home in Section 3? What are the Grotes like?
5. What is significant about Molly's defense of the Native Americans in her American History class in Section 4?
6. What similarities between Vivian and Molly are illustrated in Section 3?
7. What are the psychological impacts on Vivian from her experiences at the Grotes' home?
8. What assignment is Molly given in her American History class in Section 3? How does Molly intend to approach the assignment?
9. What are your thoughts on the portrayal of sexual molestation in the novel?
10. Why does Molly go to the library in Section 4? What does she discover through her research there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Grote in the novel. How old are Mr. and Mrs. Grote? What is their relationship like? How many children live in the Grote home when Vivian arrives? What are Vivian’s impressions of this family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Mrs. Murphy in the novel. Why does Mrs. Murphy take to Vivian so quickly? What prevents Mrs. Murphy from adopting Vivian herself? How does Vivian feel about Mrs. Murphy? What impact does Mrs. Murphy have on Vivian’s outlook on life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of identity in Orphan Train. What symbolic objects in the story symbolize “self” or “identity” to Vivian and to Molly? How do both Vivian and Molly’s identities change in the course of the narrative? What are some examples of these changes?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)