|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mrs. Nielsen when she married Mr. Nielsen?
2. Where does Mrs. Grund work as a sales clerk?
3. What are the full names of Vivian's parents that Molly discovers from the ship logs at the library?
4. What month is it when everyone in the Grote family comes down with lice in 1930?
5. When is Mrs. Grote due to have a baby in 1930?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the benefits that both Molly and Vivian incur as a result of Vivian's stories in Section 4?
2. What are Mr. Sorenson's impressions of Vivian's story about leaving the Grotes' home in Section 4?
3. How is Vivian's meeting with the Nielsens described in Section 4? What agreement do the Nielsens reach regarding Vivian?
4. What leads up to Mr. Sorenson's arrival in Section 3? Why does Mr. Sorenson come to the Byrnes' home?
5. What are your thoughts on the portrayal of sexual molestation in the novel?
6. Where does Vivian stay while she awaits word from Mr. Sorenson in Section 4? Who oversees this establishment?
7. What similarities between Vivian and Molly are illustrated in Section 3?
8. Why do the Nielsens ask Vivian to change her name in Section 4? How does Vivian respond?
9. What is significant about Molly's defense of the Native Americans in her American History class in Section 4?
10. What causes Molly to leave her foster home in Section 4? Where does Molly intend to go after leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Orphan Train Movement and the Children's Aid Society. When was the Children's Aid Society founded? Who founded it? What was the main objective of the Orphan Train Movement? How many orphans were sent across the country on these trains?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of the Wabanaki Indians and the Penobscot people and which examines correlations between the prejudices against Native Americans and prejudices against the Irish. How are these prejudices illustrated in Orphan Train? What are some examples of bias that are seen against Molly in the novel? What are biases against Vivian that are presented?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities and differences between the novel Jane Eyre and Orphan Train. How are the characters in these two stories similar? What themes do the stories relate? Why do you think that Christina Baker Kline chose to use Jane Eyre as the novel that Molly has stolen from the library? What does this tell you about Molly?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)