|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the maid at the Nielsens' home?
2. In what month is Molly's birthday?
3. Who is the author of the poem that is cited in Section 3 with the lines, "Flow gently, sweet Afton, among thy green braes. / Flow gently, I'll sing thee a song in thy praise"?
4. Where is Vivian taken to live with the Grotes?
5. The Penobscot Indians are a tribe belonging to what confederacy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are your thoughts on the portrayal of sexual molestation in the novel?
2. What are Vivian's first impressions of the Grotes' home in Section 3? What are the Grotes like?
3. What information does Mr. Sorenson relate when he returns in Section 4? What are Vivian's options at this point?
4. Who is Molly's social worker? What conversation does Molly have with her social worker in Section 3?
5. What is significant about Molly's defense of the Native Americans in her American History class in Section 4?
6. Where does Vivian go after leaving the Grotes' home in Section 4? Who does she ask for help?
7. Who adopts Vivian after she leaves the Byrnes' home in Section 3? What are the motivations of this couple?
8. What causes the Byrnes' financial problems in Section 3? How does this impact Vivian?
9. What leads up to Vivian's dismissal from the Grotes' home in Section 3? When does this occur?
10. What are some of the historical aspects of Orphan Train that are presented in Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the circumstances that Vivian faces when she is thrown out of the Grotes’ home. During what time of year is it? How cold might it be in this particular region at this time of year? How reasonable is it to consider that Vivian might die on a four-mile walk at night in these temperatures?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Orphan Train Movement and the Children's Aid Society. When was the Children's Aid Society founded? Who founded it? What was the main objective of the Orphan Train Movement? How many orphans were sent across the country on these trains?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Grote in the novel. How old are Mr. and Mrs. Grote? What is their relationship like? How many children live in the Grote home when Vivian arrives? What are Vivian’s impressions of this family?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)