|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vivian's family take a tenement room for ten dollars a month after arriving in New York?
2. What name do the Byrnes give to Vivian when they adopt her?
3. Who was Vivian's teacher in New York when she became orphaned?
4. Where had Vivan and her husband owned a department store before moving to the Northeast?
5. When was Anne of Green Gables published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Vivian meet Dutchy? What is foreshadowed through their first meeting in the novel?
2. What similarities of circumstance are established between the characters of Vivian and Molly in the beginning of the novel?
3. What aspects of foreshadowing can be seen in the Prologue to Orphan Train?
4. What transition occurs when Molly opens the first box in the attic in Section 2? How does the narrative style of the novel change?
5. How does Vivian trigger the beginning of Molly's transformation of character in Section 2?
6. What foreshadowing can be seen through the meeting of Molly and Vivian in the beginning of the novel?
7. What is Molly's function in the narrative? How has Molly's past influenced her character in the beginning of the story?
8. How would you describe the "historical" aspects of the novel? Is the author effective in illustrating the historical realities of the time period?
9. How does the structure of the novel contribute to the theme of the past's influence on the present?
10. Describe the process of adoption from the orphan trains. What stands out the most to you about the depictions of these transactions in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Vivian Daly in Orphan Train. What function do you think Vivian plays in the story? Is Vivian a protagonist, antagonist, or catalyst? What effect does Vivian have on Molly? What are the admirable qualities of Vivian’s character? How does Vivian’s character differ in the contemporary timeline (as a 91-year-old-woman) from her depiction as a child in 1929?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Grote in the novel. How old are Mr. and Mrs. Grote? What is their relationship like? How many children live in the Grote home when Vivian arrives? What are Vivian’s impressions of this family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of identity in Orphan Train. What symbolic objects in the story symbolize “self” or “identity” to Vivian and to Molly? How do both Vivian and Molly’s identities change in the course of the narrative? What are some examples of these changes?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)