|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when Molly goes to Vivian's house for the first time?
2. What does Mrs. Byrne say "is one of the most important qualities a young lady can possess" when she introduces her to the clothing factory in Section 2?
3. Where had Vivan and her husband owned a department store before moving to the Northeast?
4. Who is the woman that oversees the children on the orphan train in 1929?
5. How old was Molly when her father died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of foreshadowing can be seen in the Prologue to Orphan Train?
2. How would you describe Vivian's objectives as she and Molly begin working in the attic in Section 2?
3. Discuss the literary allusions in the novel. What two literary works are referenced repeatedly? What do these books have in common with the characters of Orphan train?
4. How would you describe Molly's emotional shield in the beginning of the story? What led to the development of this shield?
5. What conversation takes place between Vivian and Dutchy on the orphan train in Minneapolis?
6. Where is Vivian first adopted from the orphan train? Who adopts her? What is this couple's motivation for adoption?
7. What purpose does the Prologue serve in Orphan Train? How would you describe the language and tone of the Prologue?
8. How is the theme of identity illustrated through Vivian's narratives of the past in Section 2?
9. Where does Vivian meet Dutchy? What is foreshadowed through their first meeting in the novel?
10. What are Molly's first impressions of the attic when she is taken there in Section 2? Who leads Molly to this area of Vivian's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of the Wabanaki Indians and the Penobscot people and which examines correlations between the prejudices against Native Americans and prejudices against the Irish. How are these prejudices illustrated in Orphan Train? What are some examples of bias that are seen against Molly in the novel? What are biases against Vivian that are presented?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Mrs. Murphy in the novel. Why does Mrs. Murphy take to Vivian so quickly? What prevents Mrs. Murphy from adopting Vivian herself? How does Vivian feel about Mrs. Murphy? What impact does Mrs. Murphy have on Vivian’s outlook on life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of identity in Orphan Train. What symbolic objects in the story symbolize “self” or “identity” to Vivian and to Molly? How do both Vivian and Molly’s identities change in the course of the narrative? What are some examples of these changes?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)