|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Vivian taken to live with the Grotes?
(a) Hemingford County, Minnesota.
(b) Rochester County, New York.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Larsen County, Minnesota.
2. When did "Black Tuesday" occur?
(a) October 21, 1928.
(b) September 12, 1930.
(c) October 24, 1929.
(d) June 16, 1929.
3. On what date was the Nielsens' biological daughter Vivian born?
(a) October 22, 1920.
(b) July 7, 1920.
(c) June 1, 1919.
(d) September 12, 1915.
4. Who is the first of the seamstresses that Mrs. Byrne lets go from employment after the stock market crash?
5. What does the narrator describe as "Ralph's favorite activity" in Section 4?
(c) Working in the yard.
(d) Watching game shows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the two delivery boys that work at Nielsen's store when Vivian begins living with the Nielsens?
2. Where does Mr. Byrne say Fanny went to live with her sister when he sees Vivian in the Nielsens' store?
3. What are the full names of Vivian's parents that Molly discovers from the ship logs at the library?
4. At what time does the Nielsen's store close each day when Vivian begins working there?
5. What is the first question that Molly asks Vivian for her American History assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the psychological impacts on Vivian from her experiences at the Grotes' home?
2. What are some of the historical aspects of Orphan Train that are presented in Section 3?
3. What causes the Byrnes' financial problems in Section 3? How does this impact Vivian?
4. Why do the Nielsens ask Vivian to change her name in Section 4? How does Vivian respond?
5. What is significant about Molly's defense of the Native Americans in her American History class in Section 4?
6. How are Vivian's teenage years described while living with the Nielsens in Section 4?
7. What are the benefits that both Molly and Vivian incur as a result of Vivian's stories in Section 4?
8. Who is Molly's social worker? What conversation does Molly have with her social worker in Section 3?
9. What are Vivian's first impressions of the Grotes' home in Section 3? What are the Grotes like?
10. Who adopts Vivian after she leaves the Byrnes' home in Section 3? What are the motivations of this couple?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)