|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Molly's American History teacher, what percentage of English settlers came to America as indentured servants in the seventeenth century?
(a) One third.
(b) Two thirds.
(c) One fourth.
(d) One half.
2. How old was Molly when her maternal grandmother died?
(a) 2 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 3 years old.
(d) 6 months old.
3. Where had Vivan and her husband owned a department store before moving to the Northeast?
4. How many years ago does Vivian say her husband died when she first meets Molly?
(a) 8 years ago.
(b) 12 years ago.
(c) 20 years ago.
(d) 30 years ago.
5. Who does Molly argue with in her English class about the novel Jane Eyre in Section 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years older than Vivian is Dutchy in the novel?
2. Where was Molly caught for attempting to steal a book?
3. What name do the Byrnes give to Vivian when they adopt her?
4. Who is the author of Anne of Green Gables?
5. What is the name of the baby that Vivian is in charge of caring for on the orphan train in 1929?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does the Prologue serve in Orphan Train? How would you describe the language and tone of the Prologue?
2. How would you describe Molly's emotional shield in the beginning of the story? What led to the development of this shield?
3. How does the structure of the novel contribute to the theme of the past's influence on the present?
4. How is the theme of identity illustrated through Vivian's narratives of the past in Section 2?
5. How would you describe Vivian's relationships with her fellow workers at the clothing manufacturing company owned by the Byrnes?
6. What aspects of foreshadowing can be seen in the Prologue to Orphan Train?
7. What is Molly's function in the narrative? How has Molly's past influenced her character in the beginning of the story?
8. What conversation takes place between Vivian and Dutchy on the orphan train in Minneapolis?
9. Where is Vivian first adopted from the orphan train? Who adopts her? What is this couple's motivation for adoption?
10. What foreshadowing can be seen through the meeting of Molly and Vivian in the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)