|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grade does Vivian say she was in school when she was orphaned?
(a) Fourth grade.
(b) Third grade.
(c) Sixth grade.
(d) Second grade.
2. What is the name of the baby that Vivian is in charge of caring for on the orphan train in 1929?
3. What is the full name of the protagonist in Anne of Green Gables?
(a) Anne Shirley.
(b) Anne Keller.
(c) Anne Kelley.
(d) Anne Byrne.
4. Who does Molly borrow the pink blouse from that she wears when she first goes to Vivian's house?
5. Where does Molly live with her foster parents in the novel?
(a) Bangor, Maine.
(b) Portland, Maine.
(c) Spruce Harbor, Maine.
(d) Dover, Massachusetts.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Children's Aid Society founded?
2. Who cares for Vivian briefly after the fire kills her family in New York?
3. What is the name of Molly's foster father?
4. What was the name of the turtle that Molly had as a child before she entered foster care?
5. What item of jewelry does Mrs. Byrne express a dislike for on Vivian in Section 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the orphan train stops in Minneapolis, Minnesota, according to Vivian's narrative in Section 2? Who is adopted at this stop?
2. Where is Vivian first adopted from the orphan train? Who adopts her? What is this couple's motivation for adoption?
3. What are Molly's first impressions of the attic when she is taken there in Section 2? Who leads Molly to this area of Vivian's house?
4. How is the theme of identity illustrated through Vivian's narratives of the past in Section 2?
5. What aspects of foreshadowing can be seen in the Prologue to Orphan Train?
6. What purpose does the Prologue serve in Orphan Train? How would you describe the language and tone of the Prologue?
7. What transition occurs when Molly opens the first box in the attic in Section 2? How does the narrative style of the novel change?
8. How would you describe Vivian's relationships with her fellow workers at the clothing manufacturing company owned by the Byrnes?
9. What function does Vivian's character play in the story? How is Vivian's character introduced in the beginning of the novel?
10. How would you describe Molly's emotional shield in the beginning of the story? What led to the development of this shield?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)