|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Vivian's date for her senior homecoming dance that gets kicked out after getting drunk and starting a scuffle?
(a) Peter Thompson.
(b) Ronnie King.
(c) Tom Price.
(d) Andrew Ross.
2. What word is used in Section 3 to describe "a stew of diced meat, onion, and vegetables, with mustard, ginger, and vinegar"?
3. Where does Mr. Byrne say Fanny went to live with her sister when he sees Vivian in the Nielsens' store?
(a) New York.
(b) Park Rapids.
4. In what month is Vivian's birthday?
5. What was Vivian's sister Maisie's name changed to after she was adopted?
(a) Margaret Schatzman.
(b) Mary Schatzman.
(c) Wilma Jackson.
(d) Sarah Pennington.
6. What Christian denomination are the Nielsens?
7. How old did Molly turn on her birthday when her father gave her jewelry cards as a gift?
8. What word does Molly's American History teacher describe as "moments in [people's] lives when they've had to take a journey, literal or metaphorical"?
9. What Penobscot word means "thank you"?
(a) Kwai kwai.
10. What are the names of the two delivery boys that work at Nielsen's store when Vivian begins living with the Nielsens?
(a) James and Edgar.
(b) Adam and Thomas.
(c) Philip and Paul.
(d) John and Peter.
11. Who is the author of the poem that is cited in Section 3 with the lines, "Flow gently, sweet Afton, among thy green braes. / Flow gently, I'll sing thee a song in thy praise"?
(a) Robert Burns.
(b) Percy Shelley.
(c) Lord Byron.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
12. Who is the driver that picks Miss Larsen and Vivian up after school to take them to the boarding house?
(a) Mr. Grote.
(b) Mr. Yates.
(c) Mr. Reed.
(d) Mr. Sorenson.
13. Where in Ireland does Mrs. Murphy say her family is from when she meets Vivian?
14. On what date was the Nielsens' biological daughter Vivian born?
(a) October 22, 1920.
(b) July 7, 1920.
(c) June 1, 1919.
(d) September 12, 1915.
15. What does Fanny give to Vivian as a Christmas gift in 1929?
(a) A wool coat.
(b) A pony.
(c) A new dress.
(d) Gloves and mittens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mrs. Nielsen when she married Mr. Nielsen?
2. For how long have the Nielsens been married when Vivian comes to live with them?
3. What Shakespearean play does Vivian quote when she says, "Who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?"
4. What is the name of the maid at the Nielsens' home?
5. How far does Vivian walk from the Grotes' home to the schoolhouse after she's been kicked out?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)