|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month is Vivian's birthday?
2. Who is Vivian's date for her senior homecoming dance that gets kicked out after getting drunk and starting a scuffle?
(a) Peter Thompson.
(b) Ronnie King.
(c) Tom Price.
(d) Andrew Ross.
3. At what time does the Nielsen's store close each day when Vivian begins working there?
(a) 5 p.m.
(b) 6 p.m.
(c) 8 p.m.
(d) 7 p.m.
4. What high school did Molly transfer from last year to the one she's at now?
(a) Bangor High School.
(b) Boston High School.
(c) Jamestown High School.
(d) West Village High School.
5. What word does Molly's American History teacher describe as "moments in [people's] lives when they've had to take a journey, literal or metaphorical"?
6. Who is the author of the poem that is cited in Section 3 with the lines, "Flow gently, sweet Afton, among thy green braes. / Flow gently, I'll sing thee a song in thy praise"?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) Percy Shelley.
(c) Robert Burns.
(d) Lord Byron.
7. What last name do Dina and Ralph have in the novel?
8. What does Fanny give to Vivian as a Christmas gift in 1929?
(a) A pony.
(b) A wool coat.
(c) Gloves and mittens.
(d) A new dress.
9. What kind of animal does Lori remind Molly of, according to the narrator in Section 3?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A ferret.
(d) A raccoon.
10. What Christian denomination are the Nielsens?
11. In what year did the Schatzmans immigrate to the U.S. from Germany?
12. What is the name of the maid at the Nielsens' home?
13. What is the name of the Grotes' youngest baby that Vivian begins caring for upon her arrival at their home?
14. What is Terry's last name in the novel?
15. How many students are in the classroom with Vivian at her new school when she lives with the Grotes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Ireland does Mrs. Murphy say her family is from when she meets Vivian?
2. How many months ago did Vivian's younger sister Maisie die, according to Molly's research in Section 4?
3. What illness does Vivian contract after she arrives at the boarding house where Miss Larsen lives?
4. What is the name of the boarding house where Miss Larsen lives in 1930?
5. What is the name of Vivian's fifth-grade teacher at the new school she attends after moving in with the Nielsens?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)