|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Vivian taken to live with the Grotes?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Hemingford County, Minnesota.
(c) Larsen County, Minnesota.
(d) Rochester County, New York.
2. What is Mr. Grote's first name?
3. What does the narrator describe as "Ralph's favorite activity" in Section 4?
(b) Working in the yard.
(c) Watching game shows.
4. Who is the driver that picks Miss Larsen and Vivian up after school to take them to the boarding house?
(a) Mr. Sorenson.
(b) Mr. Grote.
(c) Mr. Reed.
(d) Mr. Yates.
5. What animal is Mr. Nielsen compared to when his character is first introduced in the novel?
(a) A turtle.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A ferret.
6. What does Vivian's teacher say she looks like when she returns to school with her hair short after the incident with lice at the Grotes home?
(a) A convict.
(b) A boy.
(c) A nun.
(d) A flapper.
7. What last name do Dina and Ralph have in the novel?
8. What is Molly's GPA for the semester when she meets with Lori in Section 3?
9. What is Terry's last name in the novel?
10. What is the name of Vivian's fifth-grade teacher at the new school she attends after moving in with the Nielsens?
(a) Mrs. Uhrig.
(b) Miss Buschkowsky.
(c) Mrs. Tate.
(d) Mrs. Grote.
11. When does Vivian tell Mrs. Nielsen her birthday is while they decorate for Christmas in Section 4?
(a) March 13.
(b) July 7.
(c) April 21.
(d) June 2.
12. How is the Grotes home described when Vivian first arrives there?
(a) It is a mansion by a lake.
(b) It is a filthy shack.
(c) It is a pristine white farmhouse.
(d) It is a tidy wooden cabin.
13. From what illness did the Nielsens' daughter die?
14. What kind of animal does Lori remind Molly of, according to the narrator in Section 3?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A ferret.
(d) A raccoon.
15. What was Vivian's sister Maisie's name changed to after she was adopted?
(a) Sarah Pennington.
(b) Margaret Schatzman.
(c) Wilma Jackson.
(d) Mary Schatzman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is it when Vivian is thrown out from the Grotes' home?
2. How is the Nielsens' home described when Vivian first arrives there?
3. How old does Mr. Grote tell Vivian he is in Section 3?
4. Who is the man that drives the kids to school from the country road that Vivian walks to from the Grotes' home?
5. For how long have the Nielsens been married when Vivian comes to live with them?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)