|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Bar Harbor Library located that Molly goes to in order to research Vivian's past?
(a) Smith-Patterson Street.
(b) Mount Desert Street.
(c) Fifth Avenue.
(d) Wilmena Street.
2. What is the name of the Grotes' youngest baby that Vivian begins caring for upon her arrival at their home?
3. What does Fanny give to Vivian as a Christmas gift in 1929?
(a) A pony.
(b) Gloves and mittens.
(c) A wool coat.
(d) A new dress.
4. How far does Vivian walk from the Grotes' home to the schoolhouse after she's been kicked out?
(a) 4 miles.
(b) 1 mile.
(c) 5 miles.
(d) 10 miles.
5. Where does Mr. Byrne say Fanny went to live with her sister when he sees Vivian in the Nielsens' store?
(b) New York.
(d) Park Rapids.
6. What last name do Dina and Ralph have in the novel?
7. What illness does Vivian contract after she arrives at the boarding house where Miss Larsen lives?
8. Who is the driver that picks Miss Larsen and Vivian up after school to take them to the boarding house?
(a) Mr. Sorenson.
(b) Mr. Grote.
(c) Mr. Reed.
(d) Mr. Yates.
9. What colloquialism does Vivian recall her grandmother saying after a satisfying supper?
(a) Now that was the goat's toe.
(b) What a spot of tea.
(c) Almighty horse-feathers!
(d) That was finer that a mutton!
10. What word is used in Section 3 to describe "a stew of diced meat, onion, and vegetables, with mustard, ginger, and vinegar"?
11. What were the names of Vivian's brothers that died in the tenement fire in 1929?
(a) Dominick and James.
(b) Peter and Billy.
(c) Gerald and Mark.
(d) John and Edward.
12. At what time does the Nielsen's store close each day when Vivian begins working there?
(a) 6 p.m.
(b) 7 p.m.
(c) 5 p.m.
(d) 8 p.m.
13. What are the full names of Vivian's parents that Molly discovers from the ship logs at the library?
(a) William and Sarah O'Connell.
(b) James and Mary O'Brien.
(c) Raymond and Mary McAnally.
(d) Patrick and Mary Power.
14. What is Mr. Grote's first name?
15. How is the Grotes home described when Vivian first arrives there?
(a) It is a mansion by a lake.
(b) It is a tidy wooden cabin.
(c) It is a filthy shack.
(d) It is a pristine white farmhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did "Black Tuesday" occur?
2. What does Mrs. Grote do all the time when Vivian arrives at the Grotes' home?
3. Where does Mrs. Grund work as a sales clerk?
4. What was Vivian's sister Maisie's name changed to after she was adopted?
5. Where in Ireland does Mrs. Murphy say her family is from when she meets Vivian?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)