|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a soliloquy in Act IV, Scene I?
2. Why do the slaves fall on the ground asking for the governor's forgiveness?
3. What does Aboan suggest they do to Hottman in Act III, Scene IV?
4. What does the governor request of Oroonoko in Scene IV, Act II?
5. Which word best describes Oroonoko's plan for the slaves in Act III, Scene IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Widow Lackitt give to Welldon in Act IV, Scene I and why? What does Welldon plan to do with this?
2. What does Aboan caution Oroonoko in Scene II, Act III and what does he fear has happened to Oroonoko?
3. Describe the character Hottman in Act III.
4. What happens at the end of Act IV, Scene II?
5. What is the tone of the beginning of Act IV, Scene II and how do you know?
6. What is Oroonoko's plan in Act III, Scene IV?
7. What is the lesson behind the captain's death and did we know it was coming?
8. What nickname does Welldon suggest Mrs.Lackitt call him and how is this ironic?
9. Describe the character Aboan in Act III.
10. How does Blanford convince Oroonoko to drop his sword?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It can be said that Oroonoko the play has many similarities to certain plays of Shakespeare. Discuss, analyze, and compare in what ways Oroonoko is similar to Shakespeare plays. Was this intentional on the part of Southerne? Why or why not? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
Plays to compare Oroonoko to:
1) Romeo and Juliet
3) Twelfth Night
Essay Topic 2
One thing Oroonoko, the play, does well is emphasize scenes of pathos. Discuss what the term 'pathos' means and how it is emphasized in the play. Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in the play. Discuss the meaning of foreshadowing and cite at least three examples of foreshadowing. What is being foreshadowed and how do you know? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)