|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees with Oroonoko about Hottman Act III, Scene IV?
2. Who speaks the line "he did deserve his Death" and about whom in Act IV, Scene II?
3. What is Blanford's reaction to the governor's actions at the end of Act IV, Scene II?
4. What does one slave ask Oroonoko in the beginning of Act III, Scene IV?
5. What does Oroonoko disagree with in Act III, Scene II?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what is Welldon rescued at the end of Act III, Scene III and how?
2. Why does Oroonoko not initially want to join the slave revolt in Act III Scene II?
3. What does Aboan say that Oroonoko does not understand in Act III Scene II?
4. What is Oroonoko's plan in Act III, Scene IV?
5. What is the lesson behind the captain's death and did we know it was coming?
6. What does Welldon give Stanmore at the end of Act IV, Scene I, what do they talk about and what is Stanmore's reaction?
7. What happens at the end of Act IV, Scene II?
8. Describe the character Aboan in Act III.
9. Why does Oroonoko say that Imoinda has made him a coward?
10. How does Jack feel about his role in the situation between himself and Mrs.Lackitt in Act IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is often said that the greatest story is a love story. The play is not without the elements of a romance. Discuss what are the elements of a romance or love story and how they are portrayed in the play. Which characters are involved and with who? Is it a comedic love or tragic? What is the message about love? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
One main theme of Oroonoko, the play, is the feeling of compassion. Discuss how compassion is expressed in the play and by which characters. What is being said about compassion? What are the characters feeling compassionate about? How is it considered a theme? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
There are many elements in literature, and two that are used in the play are allusions and irony. Discuss what allusions are and cite some examples from the play. What is being alluded to and how do you know? Is it an effective allusion? Discuss what irony means and the three types of irony. Then cite three examples of irony, labeling each example with the type of irony. Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)