|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "I am afraid You'll find it difficult, and dangerous" in Act III, Scene IV?
2. Why does Widow Lackitt give Welldon a gift?
3. Who says the phrase "green Sickness" in Act IV, Scene I?
4. For what purpose has Blanford brought Aboan to Oroonoko?
5. Who appears as the mediator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Aboan's most convincing argument which finally gets Oroonoko to join his plans of revolt?
2. How does Blanford convince Oroonoko to drop his sword?
3. What does Widow Lackitt give to Welldon in Act IV, Scene I and why? What does Welldon plan to do with this?
4. What happens at the end of Act IV, Scene II?
5. What is the situation between Daniel and Lucy in Act IV, Scene I?
6. Describe the character Aboan in Act III.
7. How does Welldon put off Widow Lackitt from marriage in Act III, Scene III and what is her response?
8. How does Jack feel about his role in the situation between himself and Mrs.Lackitt in Act IV?
9. What is the lesson behind the captain's death and did we know it was coming?
10. In Act IV, what is the situation between Welldon, Jack and Mrs. Lackitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the play with the novella. Discuss the history behind each piece, the themes, how each one was received by the public and its popularity and how each was interpreted. Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella).
Essay Topic 2
The play, though having two running story-lines, is for the most part, a tragedy. Discuss the play as a tragedy. What are the elements of a tragedy according to Aristotle? What are the elements of a tragedy according to Shakespeare? How does the play fit in with each set of guidelines? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
One main theme of Oroonoko, the play, is the feeling of compassion. Discuss how compassion is expressed in the play and by which characters. What is being said about compassion? What are the characters feeling compassionate about? How is it considered a theme? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)