|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the governor call on Imoinda in Act II, Scene III?
2. Who offers himself to Mrs. Lackitt in Act I, Scene II?
3. How did the captain capture Oroonoko to be a slave?
4. What is Daniel's response when Lucy asks him "Well, how do you like me now?" in Act II, Scene I?
5. Who is the governor's mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we understand of the relationship between Jack Stanmore and Widow Lackitt in Act I, Scene II?
2. What is an allusion and what allusion is made in Act I, Scene II?
3. In Act I, Scene I, who is disguised as a man and why?
4. Where are the two sisters living and how is this an advantage for them?
5. Describe the interaction between Lucy and Daniel, and Daniel's attitude towards marrying her.
6. What does Blanford try to assure Oroonoko of in Act II, Scene II?
7. Oroonoko says: "Give me a Sword and I'll deserve your trust" in Act II, Scene III. How does he support his statement?
8. Describe Daniel's character.
9. Why did Lucy and Welldon leave London and come to Surinam?
10. How is Widow Lackitt's interest in Welldon shown (list 5 examples) and what does it foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships between characters are very important, especially in a play. Choose two characters' relationship to discuss and analyze from the list below. What is the relationship between the two characters? How did they meet? How do they interact? What happens to them in the end? What do we learn about the individual characters based on their relationship with each other? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
1) Welldon and Mrs. Lackitt
2) Oroonoko and Blanford
Essay Topic 2
One main theme of Oroonoko, the play, is the feeling of compassion. Discuss how compassion is expressed in the play and by which characters. What is being said about compassion? What are the characters feeling compassionate about? How is it considered a theme? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in the play. Discuss the meaning of foreshadowing and cite at least three examples of foreshadowing. What is being foreshadowed and how do you know? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)