|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucy's reaction to marriage with the Captain?
2. What does Oroonoko warn the Captain of?
3. Whom do we learn is interested in marrying the widow near the end of Act I, Scene I?
4. What is Daniel afraid of, regarding Lucy, near the end of Act II, Scene I?
5. Why does the governor call on Imoinda in Act II, Scene III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Oroonoko says: "Give me a Sword and I'll deserve your trust" in Act II, Scene III. How does he support his statement?
2. Describe the interaction and relationship between the governor and his mistress at the beginning of Act II, Scene III.
3. At the beginning of Act I, Scene II, what are the Governor and Blanford discussing and what might this foreshadow?
4. How is Widow Lackitt's interest in Welldon shown (list 5 examples) and what does it foreshadow?
5. In Act II, Scene I how does Welldon put Widow Lackitt off marrying him?
6. What do we learn about Oroonoko's past in Act II, Scene II?
7. In Act I, Scene I, what does Stanmore offer to Welldon and why?
8. Describe the interaction between Lucy and Daniel, and Daniel's attitude towards marrying her.
9. Where are the two sisters living and how is this an advantage for them?
10. What does Blanford try to assure Oroonoko of in Act II, Scene II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secondary characters are essential to any story. Choose two of the characters, one from each group below to analyze and discuss. What is a secondary character and how is this character considered one? What is the character's personality? What relationships does the character have with others? What are the character's good points? What are the flaws? How does this character assist the plot? What relationship does this character have with the protagonist? What relationship does this character have with the antagonist? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
2) Mrs. Lackitt
Essay Topic 2
There are many elements in literature, and two that are used in the play are allusions and irony. Discuss what allusions are and cite some examples from the play. What is being alluded to and how do you know? Is it an effective allusion? Discuss what irony means and the three types of irony. Then cite three examples of irony, labeling each example with the type of irony. Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella) and use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Thomas Southerne as the writer of the play. Who was he and why did he decide to turn Behn's novella into a play? What were his motivations and goals in writing the play? What else did he write? Research as necessary using at least one book source (not including the play or novella).
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)