|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where have Lucy and Welldon moved to?
(b) London, England.
(c) New Guinea.
(d) Surinam, West Indies.
2. How did the captain capture Oroonoko to be a slave?
(a) By offering to trade the prince's life for his wife's.
(b) By getting him drunk on his ship and putting him in shackles.
(c) By knocking him out and tying him up.
(d) By hitting him over the head and dragging him to the ship.
3. What does the line "I shou'd like mightily to be call'd Mrs. Welldon" foreshadow in Act I, Scene I?
(a) Widow Lackitt's interest in adopting Welldon.
(b) Widow Lackitt's romantic interest in Welldon.
(c) Lucy's romantic interest in Welldon.
(d) Widow Lackitt's interest in marrying her daughter to Welldon.
4. What is Daniel content with, regarding Lucy, near the end of Act II, Scene I?
(a) Marrying and sleeping with Lucy.
(b) Providing for Lucy.
(c) Being a husband.
(d) Kissing Lucy.
5. Why is Oroonoko so elated at the end of Act II, Scene III?
(a) He has returned home to Africa.
(b) He is finally freed of slavery.
(c) He is finally reunited with Imoinda.
(d) He finally kills the Captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the line "My heart drops blood for him" referring in Act I, Scene II?
2. Who says: "My heart drops blood for him" in Act I, Scene II?
3. What subject does the widow bring up with Welldon at the beginning of Act II, Scene I?
4. What does the line "poor Women be thought decaying and unfit/for the Town at One or Two and twenty" in Act I, Scene I mean exactly?
5. Who says Oroonoko will be treated nobly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Take the following line: "Were not you an ill-natur'd thing to boggle at a Promise? I cou'd break twenty for you" in Act II, Scene I. Who is speaking and to whom? What is it in reference to and what do these words tell us about the speaker?
2. Why does Oroonoko tell Blanford he is unhappy?
3. After the reunion of Oroonoko and Imoinda, what does the governor comment and what does this comment foreshadow?
4. In Act I, Scene I, who is disguised as a man and why?
5. Describe the interaction between Lucy and Daniel, and Daniel's attitude towards marrying her.
6. How is Widow Lackitt's interest in Welldon shown (list 5 examples) and what does it foreshadow?
7. Why did Lucy and Welldon leave London and come to Surinam?
8. What line tells us of Welldon's feelings towards Mrs. Lackitt and in regards to what in Act I, Scene I?
9. What is an allusion and what allusion is made in Act I, Scene II?
10. How does Blanford defend Clemene? What does this show us about him?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)