|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Blanford vow to do?
(a) Serve the Governor.
(b) Serve Welldon.
(c) Serve Oroonoko.
(d) Serve the Captain.
2. What does the line "I shou'd like mightily to be call'd Mrs. Welldon" foreshadow in Act I, Scene I?
(a) Widow Lackitt's romantic interest in Welldon.
(b) Widow Lackitt's interest in adopting Welldon.
(c) Lucy's romantic interest in Welldon.
(d) Widow Lackitt's interest in marrying her daughter to Welldon.
3. Where have Lucy and Welldon moved to?
(a) Surinam, West Indies.
(b) London, England.
(c) New Guinea.
4. Who is Daniel?
(a) Lucy's brother.
(b) Welldon's brother.
(c) Stanmore's son.
(d) The widow's son.
5. What story does Oroonoko relate to Blanford in Act II, Scene II?
(a) HIs travels.
(b) How he was captured.
(c) His childhood.
(d) His wife's disappearance.
6. What subject does the widow bring up with Welldon at the beginning of Act II, Scene I?
(a) Lucy's marriage to her son.
(b) Marriage to him.
(c) Marriage to Jack.
(d) Lucy's marriage to the Captain.
7. Who is Imoinda?
(a) Oroonoko's sister.
(b) Oroonoko's step-mother.
(c) Oroonoko's mother.
(d) Oroonoko's wife.
8. What does the line "poor Women be thought decaying and unfit/for the Town at One or Two and twenty" in Act I, Scene I mean exactly?
(a) That women, no matter their age are always thought to be 21 or 22 years of age.
(b) That women who are 21 or 22 years of age are never considered old.
(c) That women are considered old at 21 or 22 years of age.
(d) That women who look like they are old are actually 21 or 22 years of age.
9. Whom does the widow first suggest that Lucy marry?
(a) Her son.
(d) The captain.
10. Who is "The Dog" that Oroonoko refers to at the beginning of Act II, Scene II?
11. Why is Lucy's sister dressed as a man?
(a) To find a husband for herself.
(b) To make proper claim to property.
(c) To entice women out of their wealth.
(d) To find a husband for Lucy.
12. Whom do we learn owns several plantations in Act I, Scene I?
(a) Widow Lackitt.
13. Who is the first speaker in Act I, Scene II?
14. What is Oroonoko's status?
(a) A prince's servant.
(b) A prince.
(c) A normal man.
(d) A king.
15. What is Daniel's response when Lucy asks him "Well, how do you like me now?" in Act II, Scene I?
(a) "...how do you think I can go to bed to a Woman I don't know?
(b) "...my Mother is always shaming one before company."
(c) "Why, pray, may I?"
(d) "You have bewitch'd me, I think.."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Welldon say he could cheat the widow?
2. Whom do we learn is interested in marrying the widow near the end of Act I, Scene I?
3. What is Lucy's reaction to marriage with the Captain?
4. Where is Lucy and Welldon's original home?
5. How did the captain capture Oroonoko to be a slave?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)