Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Act 1
1. In Act I, Scene I, who is disguised as a man and why?
2. Why did Lucy and Welldon leave London and come to Surinam?
3. Where are the two sisters living and how is this an advantage for them?
4. How is Widow Lackitt's interest in Welldon shown (list 5 examples) and what does it foreshadow?
5. In Act I, Scene I, what does Stanmore offer to Welldon and why?
6. What line tells us of Welldon's feelings towards Mrs. Lackitt and...
This section contains 939 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)